• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you care about achievements/trophies in games?

Leonidas

I only care about Xbox achievements because they give me rewards, don't care for them otherwise.

It's too bad Sony only gave rewards for PlayStation trophies back in 2017-2019, that's the only time I cared about trophies.

Take away the rewards and I simply don't care. I cared some time after the Xbox 360 launch because of the novelty but that has long since worn off.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
On a scale of one to ten, about 7/10. They're goals to work towards, I like earning them, and I really like when trophies / achievements reward the player somehow.

Deerock71

I actually get annoyed when they pop up. I got an trophy because I got through the prologue? FUCK OFF YOU IMMERSION BREAKING PIECE OF SHIT!!!

Topher

Gold Member
I only care about Xbox achievements because they give me rewards, don't care for them otherwise.

It's too bad Sony only gave rewards for PlayStation trophies back in 2017-2019, that's the only time I cared about trophies.

Take away the rewards and I simply don't care. I cared some time after the Xbox 360 launch because of the novelty but that has long since worn off.

Rewards are definitely a cool benefit for achievements on Xbox. Now that I have XSX, I actively try and find achievements for Rewards points.

With Trophies, the Platinum makes it a bit different. It adds an overall goal to the game that isn't anywhere else. But yeah.....no rewards points. Sony kinda sucks at rewards.

TexMex

It’s weird to me that people could possibly “hate” achievements. Indifferent? Sure. But You can disable the notifications and don’t even have to engage with them in the least. They take zero away from the game. I feel like it’s such a wannabe flex to show us how hardcore you are.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I barely even know what they are nevermind giving a flying fuck about them.
Totally.

Achievements at the beginning were maybe 10 bullet points and easy to understand and remember. Beating a game would probably get you 500 pts worth alone going through the game. Then at some point devs made the list 30 or 40 bullets of obscure hunt and peck tasks to get 20 pts here and 15 pts there. Hardcore gamers must be looking at the lists every day to see whats the next task to cross off the list.

Last edited:

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Never cared about them. I haven't been a power player since like the 90s. I only game about 10 hours a week.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I like them but if a certain achievement requires a crazy grind then I won't bother with it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't care, I play with the notifications off.

Depends how they're handled. If it achievements for doing simple shit I usually trip those in a normal playthrough anyways but some of the special achievements are interesting enough to make me go back into a game I've played already. I'd like to 100% more games honestly but so many achievements are tied to multiplayer and I typically don't hop in to multiplayer in most games.

Topher

Gold Member
I Care Bill Murray GIF by filmeditor

Last edited:

Hestar69

Some games I care to get,but now I don't care much for them.

Only time I care for them is if I need them for bing or xbox game pass.

Like right now I'm playing halo 5 on the easiest difficulty just to beat it before infinite.I have all other halo games 100%'d but I don't really care anymore to keep playing a game over and over again unless i REALLY like it..

Halo 5 is trash btw one game in the series IMO.

bobbyphunk

Neo Member
One of the reasons i play games on the xbox is for achievements. while playing on the PlayStation I really don't care about trophies. they are kinda lame

sainraja

I like to unlock them but they are never a motivator for me to do something in a game unless it's an easy task.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I used to care about trophies when you got paid for them. Earned 2 free games because of it. When they ended that program i just didnt care anymore.

Larxia

I don't care about them, but I will sometimes do them if it's a game I really love that I want to keep playing. Only for special games, and only if they're not crazy tedious.

Ultimately, I think trophies / achievements are a bad thing, especially when I see how many people focus on them. They really seem to trigger some crazy OCD behaviour in some people, and they will only think about this anymore, with achievements being the main reason they complete a game.

Some people will even look at trophies lists before starting a game, and will play the game in a certain way to complete trophies in the most efficient / fastest way. It's altering the way people play their games, and it just becomes a job about completing checklists rather than just enjoying the moment.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
IMO the system is not used correctly. I would say that 90% of trophies are collected by 0.1%-10% of players is proof that is just not the way to go about such a system.
The vocal minority (Also on Gaf) that is asking for super hard challenges is actually really small. Console makers should not really cater to them imo.

Cut the amount of throphies in half and make them a fun thing to do. Not grinding shit, not beating super thought stuff. Just fun.
People in general would feel much more positive about them if they where easy to get and simply fun to do. Beating a game five times on all difficulty settings without saving in between etc. is not fun.

People who seek these challenges will create them on their own, see speed runners etc.

Also get rid of hidden trophies, what idiot came up with that shit?

Last edited:
I still care about them somewhat, but not as much as I used to. If I am enjoying the game, they aren’t too ridiculous and not too grindy, I might consider going for them. That usually isn’t the case nowadays though since it seems like they can be so time consuming now. Not helping that new games seemingly come out daily now as well.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
depends on the completion rate %, i mean if its around 95%, meh why not complete the remaining ones.

GeekyDad

Never cared about them. Well, maybe as a kid, but mostly I care about story elements, character unlocks, etc. If I'm in love with a game, I wanna mine every bit of goodness from it.

Holammer

I don't lose sleep over them, but I look at progress and occasionally I'll actually 100% something. Like I did recently with Hades.
I understand the meta gameplay aspect and why achievement hunters do it.

MaKTaiL

I currently have 114 platinums, so..... pretty much. I only go for the games I love though and I try my best to get 100%. If a game presents to be too difficult or borderline impossible then I don't bother with it. Keep in mind I play since PS3 launch so I started earning trophies as soon as the first game with it came out, that's why I have so many.

NahaNago

Generally don't care about them. I'll sometimes check out the trophies to see how far most folks have gone in a game. I do like being notified I got a trophy but I don't play a game for them. I get why some folks would chase after trophies but I'm usually about having a chill time when playing a game.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Not at all, never have. They’re cool to get, a great system, but not something I go out of my way to get.

Last edited:

WoJ

I go back and forth on them. I enjoy seeing them pop on screen. I usually take time to consider the platinum/all achievements are worth getting.

I platinumed Days Gone and Until Dawn last year because I really liked both games and getting the extra trophies didn't seem like work. I played FFVII Remake this year and while I didn't get the platinum, I definitely could see myself going back to get it.

Tams

Gold Member
As much as I cared about the shit I had this morning.

But I too used to be an achievement whore back when I played RuneScape. Actually, I lied. For Niantic's mobile games I'm still an achievement whore, but after a while that's really the only thing left to do in them.

Who cares about trophies. I'm particularly baffled by the fact that Sony is apparently allowing their trophy requirement to hold up their backwards compatibility efforts.

Capitan Todd

Neo Member
I enjoy them, although I rarely go for 100% completion. I try to get the ones that are relatively easy or a bit challenging still, as long as it’s fun. If it requires grinding or collecting a shitload of items I skip it.

I actually scrolled through my achievement list last week. Seeing my first achievements from Kameo in 2005 did bring back some memories.

Dr. Suchong

It’s weird to me that people could possibly “hate” achievements. Indifferent? Sure. But You can disable the notifications and don’t even have to engage with them in the least. They take zero away from the game. I feel like it’s such a wannabe flex to show us how hardcore you are.
Apologies if I'm a little sleepy on this point, but do you mean a "Wannabe flex" as in disliking trophies/achievements is some sort of pseudo, purist/core elitism?

I only care if there's a particularly thoughtful challenge on offer that I hadn't thought of on my own and that I find engaging to pursue for its own sake. I don't care about them as any sort of metric measuring "gamer success". Meaningless in that context for me.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Absolutely zero. They don’t give you anything of substance other than a dopamine hit if you care about it. Many of them are totally arbitrary. Kill x number of enemies in a single play through. I care about getting things in the actual game. Like weapons, armor, secret characters, unlocking powerful abilities, beating secret bosses. They were just as satisfying for me before trophies than they were after. I’m not going to play a game I’ve done everything in 20 more hours just to do arbitrary stuff that makes a little notification pop up on my screen. I’d rather just start a new game.

And honestly, along with online gameplay, trophies are part of the reason cheat devices don’t really exist much anymore, which I can’t stand because cheat devices brought me way more enjoyment than trophies or achievements ever did. I loved going back into games after I beat them with infinite ammo, debug rooms, etc and mess around. It was a ton of fun.

Jeeves

Never cared about them, and my mind was blown when I learned that people go out of their way for them. I always took it for some goofy form of stat tracking. You know how Smash Bros. keep track of power count, matches played, total damage dealt, etc.? It can be fun to look at that stuff, but no one actually goes out of their way to make Luigi their third-most-picked character.

If anything, they can take away from a game if it's trying to have a serious moment and suddenly the console OS is like "*Beeboop!* Hey look at this clever wordplay to describe that scene you just saw! Keep at it, gamer!"

Achievements, not at all, because the amount of achievements a game has seems to be completely random.
However, I like to chase platinum trophies. I‘ve always been a completionist, and trophies just give me a visualisation of my progress.

Top Bottom