• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you care about achievements/trophies in games?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Have 49 plats, 95% of which were earned in the space of 4 years before I met my missus and started a family. I only play Sony exclusives and From games on my PS5, and I still go for the plats, but it’s not the be all end all anymore. I saw that I need to do a second play through of Miles Morales for the plat and really couldn’t be fucked. We have limited time as it is, especially when you have kids, and I’d rather move on to the next game.

Couldn’t care less about achievements.

I quite like Nintendo not having any achievements to be honest. It’s a throwback to the PS2/GameCube era and earlier. Play for enjoyment only.

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox rewards is annoying when you have to unlock 3 achievements for a certain weeks activity. I’m on a 56 week streak cannot stop now 😂

56 weeks is damn impressive. I made it to 10 and then screwed up and forgot to do the weekly set. It is getting harder and harder to find three quick and easy achievements to get those points though. At least xCloud makes it easier though since I don't always have to install the game.

Last edited:

T-Cake

During the PS4 era, I was a completely obsessed trophy hunter. I even bought games I owned on Steam on PSN just to play them again for the trophies.

But since getting the PS5, I really can't be bothered anymore. The trophy award sound is such an anticlimax now! I used psnprofiles.com to track all my data and before there was a nice list of As and Ss but now it's mostly Es where I started something and moved on.

JPSLotus97T

I have 250K achievement points. I used to be heavily into achievements, but the past year or two I've been slowing down on it. Don't feel like dedicating the time to some games just to get a lot of the achievements. I do think they can help extend a game's play if you want to 100% them. But I skip all multiplayer achievements now, unless I feel like boosting. It's fun to try and go for rare achievements just for bragging rights.

I do wish Nintendo would come up with an achievement/trophy system, but I don't think they ever will.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Some video game trophies and achievements take an immense amount of time to earn. Here are some extreme examples.

0:00 Intro
0:12 Number 10
1:27 Number 9
3:04 Number 8
4:01 Number 7
4:53 Number 6
5:57 Number 5
7:51 Number 4
9:03 Number 3
10:10 Number 2
11:17 Number 1

D-ray

At first I never cared about them. But now that I play more indies than "AAA" titles, the content from them can get dried up very easily, so I start hunting for achievements. I got a lot of games 100% completed, and excluding some titles with horrible non-skill oriented achievements, I have fun collecting them.

Basically, it's a good way to enhance the game experience, and carefully observe/study the game design more than a quick play can show you.
Some games I played I thought were outstanding when played once or twice, but thanks to the more "challenging" part of the achievements, I started seeing more the design flaws and cons of the game.

Being able to turn the notifications off entirely and forget they exist probably saved gaming on a certain level for me to some extent. It's nice to be able to still enjoy the medium, uninterrupted.

Troozi

I love trophies, for me it gives me a reason to keep going beyond finishing the main story.

Although some trophies really do outstay their welcome and drag on. I've had a couple of amazing games that are ruined by 1 grindy trophy.

If I had the option I would be able to earn a games trophies/platinum more that once.

T-Cake

If I had the option I would be able to earn a games trophies/platinum more that once.

That would be pretty cool if you could reset all the trophies except the platinum. Then you can "level up" the platinum with a number overlaid on it so you can see how many times you would have earned the platinum trophy.

AndrewRyan

Used to not care at all but on Steam enjoy seeing the percentage of players that completed various levels, side-quests, etc. Also take pleasure from the rare achievements when they are hard earned. Though sometimes rarity is from lack of players, like a few days ago for The Ascent DLC, was .6% of players, lol.

Also like the Playstation feature to compare achievements with friends. For games you love it shows their playstyle. Also nice for discovering new games when they have a high % on a game you never considered.

sono

Gold Member
The developers put them in to also show progress that you have been through that part. I paid for the game and want to know I experienced as much of the game that the Devs put effort into compared to missing something altogether

Here's my take on trophies. If I like the game and platinumming the game is fun, I'll do it. If I don't like the game or platinumming the game is an overly ridiculous grind, I'll pass.

Top Bottom