• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Microsoft isn’t getting its deserved credit.

Not at all, they can take care of themselves, I just felt that some of their genuine achievements weren't appreciated. They don't deserve the hatred that's all
Who gives a fuck!? They don’t have feelings. How about this this. Xbox is pushing an garbage gamepass agenda that's wants to kill physical games. They’re evil for that. Now what? Gone head and defend it xbot 😂

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
You didn't give them credit for trying to develop a system where you could sell digital games and still hold that against them, why should we do what you won't do yourself? Seriously if people could sell used digital games, you wouldn't have this BS where the game is full price for years and MS and devs would be taking a little cut instead of ebay. But that was so awful and evil that you still fume over it 9 years later? OK. I think it was an idea way ahead of its time that would have made things much better for the consumer. But now we have GamePass where I can play all the games for an annual cost equivalent to 1.71 PS5 games. That is better, but selling used digital games could have made Sony do something other than keep digital prices at launch price because they can.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You are completely wrong. MS is "virtually" expanding it's first-party catalog. Why I say that? Think about Bethesda, for example. Bethesda use to be a sustainable multiplataform developer, able to develop games by themselves, without needing massive financial assistance. Bethesda games, like the next The Elder Scolls, would be released for Xbox anyway. You understand? MS is not developing new games for its audience, it has simply taken away the possibility of some games also being played on a Playstation.
C'mon bro. C'mon!!
The company is now owned by Microsoft. So Microsoft is making new games. It's like, everything is the fault of Xbox. No one ever mentions that these companies put themselves up for sale, giving companies like Sony, Google, Amazon and apple a chance to buy them. NOT ONE of them stepped up. Microsoft did. They had the finances to make the deal - in cash!

How this is a Microsoft problem is baffling. If Sony or Nintendo wanted exclusive Bethesda games, they had their chance. They didn't. The rest is history.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
How exactly?
In addition to the OPs points, which are quite significant, they also revolutionized online gaming in the console space, basically defined the standard. They championed cross play and play anywhere. Free and seamless upgrades by device. Enhanced backward compatible games with rez, hdr and fps boost. Given us more ways to play our games then ever before with remote play, cloud, PC, Samsung TVs, etc.

All that and more. Also Game Pass is the greatest thing to come to the space since Xbox brought the original Xbox Live.

drganon

In addition to the OPs points, which are quite significant, they also revolutionized online gaming in the console space, basically defined the standard. They championed cross play and play anywhere. Free and seamless upgrades by device. Enhanced backward compatible games with rez, hdr and fps boost. Given us more ways to play our games then ever before with remote play, cloud, PC, Samsung TVs, etc.

All that and more. Also Game Pass is the greatest thing to come to the space since Xbox brought the original Xbox Live.
ab8.jpg

Reave

All of that is fine and good, but there’s also something to be said for Microsoft’s attempt at steering us towards console DRM, the supreme mishandling of their tentpole franchise, first-party management, delays, and the subsequent effect those delays have had on Game Pass — in terms of coming up short with its most important pillar (first-party releases).

Not saying the other console manufacturers have been spotless, either. But, that’s the point. None of them have made it to today flawlessly.

So, to say one has done more than two combined — regardless of who you put in that slot — will undermine the positives that each company brought to the table.

We’re obviously in subjective territory, here. So, I digress. ❤️

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Well said, they've got the infra-level stuff down to a T. And with the delayed games coming out in the next few months and their first party pipeline getting better, it's only going to get better from here onward.

Hendrick's

All of that is fine and good, but there’s also something to be said for Microsoft’s attempt at steering us towards console DRM, the supreme mishandling of their tentpole franchise, first-party management, delays, and the subsequent effect those delays have had on Game Pass — in terms of coming up short with its most important pillar (first-party releases).

Not saying the other console manufacturers have been spotless, either. But, that’s the point. None of them have made it to today flawlessly.

So, to say one has done more than two combined — regardless of who you put in that slot — will undermine the positives that each company brought to the table.

We’re obviously in subjective territory, here. So, I digress. ❤️
I would agree they have been stronger in services over content lately, but they are showing they can deliver quality now, and the slow trickle will soon be over.

I am not sure what you are expecting from a forum that permabanned people that said they were going to buy xbox ones during its launch on here.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
He was actively shutting down studios in a time when they barely had any. He gets no sympathy from me, especially not due to the way he dealt with Lionhead
He shutdown redundant studios. That is normal thing to do, when you are trying to fix an organization. Especially with how messy xbox was during that time.

The Shepard

I still prefer the original xbox and xbox 360 (minus the kinect years) Microsoft. This Microsoft are better than last gen, but that's not exactly hard to beat as nothing made me want to buy an xbox till later on in the gen. I'm also finding this years gamepass not as good as last year or the previous years. Next year looks good though and I'm looking forward to starfield on my series x.

GHG

Gold Member
He shutdown redundant studios. That is normal thing to do, when you are trying to fix an organization. Especially with how messy xbox was during that time.

Lionhead were not redundant. They were instructed to make games not suited to their strengths, personnel and IP and then when that didn't work out they took the fall for it.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
wtf is this real ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was a lurker back then, but yeah I actually saw people get banned for being a green rat.

It was the shitty mod team that went to resetera. And they still do it over there.

Back then = if you don't enjoy PlayStation but Xbox, go to jail.

Resetera now = you enjoy the games more than the amount of genders, go to jail.

Different rules, same shit.

The_Mike

Their strategy doesn’t do any wonders. The moment when 3rd party leave GP behind them, MS will have huge problems, and will then be forced going full multiplatform. You can bet that not only Sony but also other platform holders will try to block MS for trying to buy more big publishers.

What the hell kind of rhetoric is this.

Microsoft wasn't multi platform before gamepass, why would they be if Sony paid to block all third party developer from the service?

The way you want to see GP crash and burn and make Xbox games to your playstation makes you seem jelly

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Lionhead were not redundant. They were instructed to make games not suited to their strengths, personnel and IP and then when that didn't work out they took the fall for it.
Which was Don Mattrick error.

The issue started during xbox 360 with kinetic. Rare were wasted potential from that move.

While Phil has alot to blame, it's was his duty to fix those mistakes.

At least it led to rare sea of theives.

Don mattrick inability to focus on the 1st party pretty much guaranteed xbox one to be dry during the mid gen and later of the gen.

My blame for Phil however is not doing 3rd party deals like Don Mattrick. While Don was shit, he had the guts to do 3rd party deals. Credits to him for that.

Everything the op listed is great and has been praised for here but the one thing that Xbox is missing is big first party games. We have seen far and few of them for close to 10 years now and the last two years have been a drought. None for 2022 even.
We hear from fans to wait for E3, it is a meme now. We probably will start seeing something in 2023 but again they need to deliver before they get recognition for that.

I was a lurker back then, but yeah I actually saw people get banned for being a green rat.

It was the shitty mod team that went to resetera. And they still do it over there.

Back then = if you don't enjoy PlayStation but Xbox, go to jail.

Resetera now = you enjoy the games more than the amount of genders, go to jail.

Different rules, same shit.

yeah, no wonder it was the way it was then after all the head mod bish on here used to work for Adam Boyes at Beefy Media.

KpR2d6d.png

Last edited:

Griffon

MS made paid P2P online a standard for consoles, and just for that I wish they never entered the market.

Pretty much every step of the way they've been a detriment to the industry one way or another. Gamepass being the latest of a series of scummy moves.

Sadly the other two manufacturers have a tendency to copy those moves later on.

Last edited:

Comandr

Good for them for being a pioneer or whatever but do they have any exclusives worth playing? Idk for me a game console is only as good as the games released on it. With Microsoft’s push to make everything Xbox/PC is there any point to even owning an Xbox anymore?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly, I think credit is due for the radicalism of the pivot into Gamepass/Xcloud as their core service offering, and for their current hardware for being well engineered. Same deal with their BC and overall software stack.

But beyond that... I think that there are way too many caveats to their performance to praise them too fulsomely. Their portfolio management is still shockingly poor with tentpole releases being frequently absent, delayed, or poorly received. Their product pipeline under Spencer and Booty has NEVER been what it should. A situation I do not see being remedied by their aggressive acquisition strategy, because given how they've struggled with a relatively small first-party line-up why would anyone believe that exponentially increasing the number of studios and developers under their aegis isn't simply going to result in a similar outcome just on a larger scale?

Last edited:

All excellent points. You can add it advancements to console gaming with the standard hard drive, achievements, and standard wireless controllers as well.

In the end it doesn't really matter if MS is given 'credit' or not for Xbox. The people that actually own and use their products are best equipped to even know what they are talking about. Most of the others are just trash talking on the internet and those people have no credibility in the first place.

MS is getting credit and it’s shown in sales and coverage. They not the market leaders but they are in a great place. They’ve been one of the more innovative companies in gaming for better or worse. I like they introducing new means to the market and that shows in how well gamepass is doing.

I also want to add that they were the first to have a properly online and unified live ecosystem on the consoles. Dreamcast had some sort.... but it just wasnt there. Xbox were the first to allow downloads of digital games. They were the first to have a store on consoles and allowed smaller studios to thrive. They were the first to have a hard drive in their console.

Whilst I'm sure Sony would have done it eventually, it wouldn't have been as quick. It even took the PS3 a while to get it's online ecosystem sorted. I think a lot of people forget that the OG Xbox had a pretty robust online system, and subsequently the 360, way before the PS3 ever did.

Last edited:

Moses85

For everything I just mentioned in the OP.

No, it's a feature very few will use so it's not very good business sense but it is very nice for those few who'd like it.

Agree, not MS specifically maybe, but I've think they've been doing the right thing and we need at least be fair.

It's a good deal. It truly is. I for one wont spend $90 for a game I'm curious about unless I'm really invested. It has made me play way more games for way less money (and yes I undertand SaaS)

Not exactly, but feels like some just won't forget it
Schitts Creek Lol GIF by CBC

I am not sure what you are expecting from a forum that permabanned people that said they were going to buy xbox ones during its launch on here.

Let's be real: They banned people for anything and everything. Say something a mod disagreed with? Banned. Made a joke that a mod found offense to? Banned. Angered a friend of a mod? Banned.

Thankfully all those crazy cunts went to make their own forum and the moderators we have today are actually fair.

Hendrick's

Which was Don Mattrick error.

The issue started during xbox 360 with kinetic. Rare were wasted potential from that move.

While Phil has alot to blame, it's was his duty to fix those mistakes.

At least it led to rare sea of theives.

Don mattrick inability to focus on the 1st party pretty much guaranteed xbox one to be dry during the mid gen and later of the gen.

My blame for Phil however is not doing 3rd party deals like Don Mattrick. While Don was shit, he had the guts to do 3rd party deals. Credits to him for that.
It was Phil Harrison, who Jim is dragging around the world trying to squelch the ActiBlizz deal like it's Weekend at Bernie's, that forced Fable into live service with Fable Legends. That's what killed Lionhead.

anothertech

You’re right about windows and steam, but Xbox used to be great too. OG Xbox was kinda sick.

-JSRF
-Panzer Dragoon Orta
-Ninja Gaiden Black
-Halo
-Dead or Alive
-Morrowind
-KOTOR
-Fable

They were actually out there securing some nice games. Then the 360 came along and was fucking awesome. Summer of XBLA. The real birth of console online multiplayer. Yea the hardware failure was real and I went through several but it was a great console.

They lost their way transitioning from 360 to Xbone and never really turned it around. I still like gamepass tho and I can’t wait for some of their games. FH5 was my GOTY last year and I still play it often. They have good devs.
Loved og Xbox too. I'm in awe that Xbox software is in it's current state.

The_Mike

Good for them for being a pioneer or whatever but do they have any exclusives worth playing? Idk for me a game console is only as good as the games released on it. With Microsoft’s push to make everything Xbox/PC is there any point to even owning an Xbox anymore?
So you want to go back to no private voice chatrooms, dedicated servers and a service that's not down all the time?

Playing with a friend sucked on the PS3. We are all laughing at Switch has to use a phone to talk to each other, which was the same we did with ps3.

Also, who doesn't remember the infamous hack where people got their data stolen?

MS backwards compatibility has been very disappointing for me. This was supposed to be the gen where BC caught up to PC 2 with 4k patches and FPS boost. Now they've completely shut their BC program down. Most games that got fps boost have to have their settings and resolution lowered to the point that no series x owner wants to play them.

They havnt even patched 3 very key xbox one launch games: sunset Overdrive (720p/30), ryse (720p/30) and dead rising 3 no patches for at least 2 being very good games. There are still lots of missing bc games and the ones that do exist need patches.

MS ruined Halo. MS is pushing forced cross play in their multiplayer games. I also have no faith that great games are actually coming next year except for Forza Motorsport. Starfield I'm worried will be a technical disaster for Series X owners. I'm also kinda salty that the Series S is a thing if there's any truth to it holding back next gen games (which I think there is).

I don't trust that Gamepass will have a positive effect on the direction of the industry going forward. I'm old school though. Not a big fan of services.

Humdinger

As always, it comes down to the games -- exclusive games, in this case. Until MS start delivering on that front, many people will be reserved in their accolades. They get heaps of credit for GP, because everyone loves a bargain, but the hesitance you hear is because they still haven't delivered on the most important front. The hesitation is justified, because the drought has been going on an awfully long time, coming up on 8 years.

Things should change in a year or two, though. Yes, I know, it's a meme. But with all the studio acquisitions, it's inevitable.

Top Bottom