• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Microsoft could win over Consumers in next Gen, push an all-in-one Sub at a cheap price.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Why not? Amazon Prime and Microsoft 365 serve different markets. Office 365 currently has around 35 Million Subscribers.

We don't even know the user base for GP, so lets not jump to conclusions. We know the userbase of Office 365.
Office 365 is like an exotic island, while Amazon Prime is a massive city.

Vawn

Banned
You guy are hoping Microsoft Office can help Xbox finally win a console generation? Good grief.

GHG

Gold Member
You guy are hoping Microsoft Office can help Xbox finally win a console generation? Good grief.

The next gen xbox reveal will be the same as this gens one but this time replace TV, Movies and Kinect with Office, Word and Skype.

Vawn

Banned
The next gen xbox reveal will be the same as this gens one but this time replace TV, Movies and Kinect with Office, Word and Skype.

clippy.jpg

It looks like you're trying to find a game to play? Would you rather make a spreadsheet?

Esppiral

People want to feel special, people want to feel exclusive, people want to have things others can't, MS is not doing that, Sony and Nintendo are, with the current policy of MS they will never win over customers next generation. Period.

yurinka

If MS wants to win in gaming what they need to do is more awesome iconic games as they did in the past with Halo or Gears. Office, Skype or stuff like that is irrelevant. TV, TV, TV, sports, Kinect, TV strategy failed hard as it would fail an Office, Office, Office, Skype, Office strategy. Gamers want games, not unrelated services. These services are secondary.

Yes,, I have Amazon Prime for shipments, Twich, a few Amazon Video shows I saw there and the free games. But I have it since months ago and didn't play none of these games because they are old stuff that I already played or more frequently games I don't care about. So even if I'm paying Amazon Prime I never played any game on their platform, so they shouldn't count me as a player of theirs.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Office is far more important and valuable than PS Vue and the user base of Office 365 shows that.
giphy.gif

Vue is a far more attractive bundle than Office. There are millions of cord cutters every year, but many of them would still like access to their favorite channels. A Vue/PS+/PS Now is much more enticing to those people than Office 365 is.

Either way it matters not.

If MS couldn't convince Sony exclusive users to come over with Halo 5, backwards compatability, Gears of War, Forza then it's delusional fantasy to think that bundling Office will somehow make that happen.

But don't stop believing!
uMwia1h.gif

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Well, Sony doesn't have a strong ecosystem outside of Playstation, Microsoft absolutely does, that's a fact. From a value perspective, why would anyone pick PSNow and PS+ over something like a hypothetical MS365 Subscription that includes the same features and more at a cheaper price?

Maybe all this non-gaming baggage is part of MS's problem with Xbox traction? Most gamers don't care about Office, Skype, Azure, etc. I'm forced to use this shit at work, the last thing I want to buy on my gaming console is more MS crap.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
The approach to gaming that Microsoft is taking is very different from what people have been used to. However, I think if Microsoft is going to succeed in winning over consumers and future consumers to the Microsoft/Xbox Ecosystem. They should push for all in one Subscription service at a cheap price.

What I mean is something similar to Amazon Prime. Where Amazon includes all their Amazon Ecosystem services in one bug bundle.

Satya Nadella teases Microsoft 365 subscription for consumers

It seems like Microsoft is currently preparing something like this.

Phil Spencer has also mentioned that they are open to the idea of having Mixer Benefits included into XGPU, and competing with Twitch Prime and XCloud Cloud gaming will likely be included into XGPU as well.

If Microsoft 365 can include

• Office 365 Personal
  • Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (Mixer, XGPU, XCloud)
  • Windows 10 with additional features
  • Skype Credits and Minutes.
at a price of $20-25 per month. They will likely have massive success since PSNow + PS+ cost $30 and that still can't compete against Microsoft 365. If Sony reduced the price of PSNow + PS Plus to $15, why would anyone subscribe to the service if for $5 Extra they can get M365 or for $15 they can get XGPU for the same price but for extra features?

The tactic worked for Office 365 and pretty much made competitors, asside from Google irrelevant.

Idk where some ppl have been but the murmurings have been tht Sony will be offering a higher tier version of plus tht includes Psnow and other goodies such as dedicated servers for games. Now it's just rumors but all companies think about these things.

On top of tht, games talk, you can throw all the shit you want in but if you don't have those stand out games that attract ppl its useless that's why I didn't keep gamepass and only get it when it's 1. What got Microsoft in trouble to begin with was not focusing on games but other superfluous bs. Ppl gave been waiting for Microsofts savior for quite some time from Milo, to Kinect, to Azure, etc... It's not tht simple.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Microsoft is never going to win, and that's OK. It's not a competition.

Of course they would love the same amount of players a Playstation, but it's not game of Thrones, where you win or you lose.

Microsoft doesn't have a loyal fanbase that eats up their shit, and neither should they. They can do better in next gen, but realisticly I just don't see Microsoft being able to win ever.

12Dannu123

Of course they would love the same amount of players a Playstation, but it's not game of Thrones, where you win or you lose.

Microsoft doesn't have a loyal fanbase that eats up their shit, and neither should they. They can do better in next gen, but realisticly I just don't see Microsoft being able to win ever.

You're right they shouldn't they should focus on areas beyond traditional consoles. Because everybody knows that PC Gaming and Console Gaming is a low growth market at the moment and is mature.

Microsoft should compete against Apple Arcade, Stadia, Amazon Streaming etc. Hence what they are preparing by bundling all their services is making their ecosystem more attractive to the mainstream gamer and not the hardcore minority.

Hence my point.

Mainstream gamers, that are not Hardcore gamers will not want to subscribe to a product like PSNow + PS Plus that doesn't contain all their content, no other bonus services and is sold at an expensive price.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You're right they shouldn't they should focus on areas beyond traditional consoles. Because everybody knows that PC Gaming and Console Gaming is a low growth market at the moment and is mature.

Microsoft should compete against Apple Arcade, Stadia, Amazon Streaming etc. Hence what they are preparing by bundling all their services is making their ecosystem more attractive to the mainstream gamer and not the hardcore minority.

At least get your facts straight regarding pc gaming.

12Dannu123

Global_Games_Market_2012-2021_per_Segment-1.png

My facts are not wrong at all. PC Gaming and Console Gaming has grown slowly for the last decade. It's low growth, mature and saturated market. The chart very much explains why EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft etc all have been aggressively moving to subscription gaming and Cloud Streaming, because that market is used to subscriptions and because more and more users are become more Mobile Gaming users.

Like I say, Sony and Nintendo can focus on traditional consoles and handhelds and nothing else and they'll be fine, however everyone else will likely move on.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
From I can understand from this thread, it's not about "win" console wars or anything, it's about "winning" over new consumer for next gen. What Microsoft can do to win someone like me or others who were mostly playing on PS4 or Switch for this gen? For me its all about games, all streaming service or gamepass all meaningless to me it doesn't have the game I'm interested in. At end of the day games what determines what system I should buy, anything else are just extra.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My facts are not wrong at all. PC Gaming and Console Gaming has grown slowly for the last decade. It's low growth, mature and saturated market. The chart very much explains why EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft etc all have been aggressively moving to subscription gaming and Cloud Streaming, because that market is used to subscriptions and because more and more users are become more Mobile Gaming users.

Like I say, Sony and Nintendo can focus on traditional consoles and handhelds and nothing else and they'll be fine, however everyone else will likely move on.
Correction: the market is getting saturated with subscriptions.

Gargus

Banned
1- I already dislike having to subscribe to digital services in general and keep it to the bare minimum. Ps+, netflix, amazon prime and that's it.

2- I don't care about office or any windows 10 extras or any of that stuff.

3- xbox doesn't have but a tiny amount of games I want to play. They have so few exclusive games i want I'm skipping their next system. My pc and ps4 are my primary systems and sometimes my switch. Between them I can't even play my backlog for them, let alone another console. And most of those few exclusives like cuphead I want to play I play on my pc already. Xb1s is the last Microsoft console I'll own really, and i haven't even turned it on this year yet.

Just Microsoft doesn't interest me for games at all really, and aside from owning a copy of windows 10 for my 2 computers I have no interest in any of their other products.

If you like them that's all cool and the gang but they leave me limp.

Really Microsoft's best bet is to make games for pc, ps4 and ps5, and maybe switch. If they just focused purely on making games for everyone to play they would be better off. They just need to do a sega.

Last edited:
Top Bottom