• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many times do you have to retry the hardest bosses?

BlueAlpaca

I've read about people trying a hundred times in Sekiro. This Dunkey review shows him trying over 48 times to beat a boss (possible it's an exaggeration).

I'm playing Dark Souls 3, first FromSoft game, and it's getting really hard at the end so that made me curious.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Depends. With Elden Ring, it took me a day or so off and on to take out the Godskin Duo. Tried maybe 20 times or so with different strategies. So satisfying when I finally beat them.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
the bell bearing hunter in caelid was the most difficult for me , got gud after 16 tries

Last edited:
I've read about people trying a hundred times in Sekiro. This Dunkey review shows him trying over 48 times to beat a boss (possible it's an exaggeration).
Isshin
The final boss of Sekiro is simultaneously a great boss and one of the worst bosses ever made in a From Software game. While he makes you utilize everything that you've learned, he is also extremely exhausting because the fight with him is too damn long, which means it also demands absolute perfection from you for over half of it. This is very easily solved by giving him 2 phases instead of 3.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
On average about 10-20 tries for a boss. Sometimes faster. It really boils down to how fast you can memorize and internalize the movement and attack patterns.

Aldric

Don't know how many tries it took me but recently the hardest boss I fought was Aether, Astral Chain's secret final boss. Took me about three hours. In comparison bosses like Nightmare King Grimm, Ornstein and Smough or Inner Agent 3 took me about an hour and half each.

Keihart

i've played some bosses hard bosses hundred of times before beating them for sure, but usually it has more to do with me wanting to learn the fight than simply beating it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Shibata Katsuie from NiOh 2 made me replay each mission leading up to him. If there’s no chance of becoming powerful. I’ll do it for a couple hours and then try again later. Sometimes I take a break because I end up rushing into attacks that slaughter my character. Shibata was frustrating until I came back with a lot more powerful character and a completely different play style.

Mr Hyde

Averaging around 20 tries, give or take. Sword saint isshin I took down in less than six attempts but I'm at 40 tries now for the Death Rite Bird in Elden Ring (seriously, fuck that bird). The hardest boss for me in a Souls game was Maneater in OG Demon's Souls, I was stuck on him for about a month before I finally beat him. To my defense, DS was my very first Souls-game and I honestly didn't expect me to even finish it when I first played it. It was a rough experience but eventually it made me fall in love with the series and I'm now a huge Souls-fan.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
isshin in sekiro took me 100+ tries lol.

so far in elden ring the most attempts i've had is ~15 for the twin gargoyles but mostly i've been getting bosses 1st or 2nd try. i'm 62 hours into elden ring and still have quite a bit to go. i know there are more challenging fights ahead so we'll see.

in bloodborne the bosses i struggled most with was the blood starved beast, rom, and martyr logarius :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Isshin
The final boss of Sekiro is simultaneously a great boss and one of the worst bosses ever made in a From Software game. While he makes you utilize everything that you've learned, he is also extremely exhausting because the fight with him is too damn long, which means it also demands absolute perfection from you for over half of it. This is very easily solved by giving him 2 phases instead of 3.
I think this is again very subjective. I used to smoke Isshin relatively stress-free, also the inner version. Phase 3 is more of a setpiece, with Sakura Dance it becomes a joke.
On the other hand tho, I find Inner Genichiro 10x more difficult but then the Demon of Hatered used to totally break my balls. Somehow I just could never parry it and get the feel for spacing, I practiced it a ton when going for the gauntlets and I still got wrecked by it like 4 in 5 times.

I think this is again very subjective. I used to smoke Isshin relatively stress-free, also the inner version. Phase 3 is more of a setpiece, with Sakura Dance it becomes a joke.
On the other hand tho, I find Inner Genichiro 10x more difficult but then the Demon of Hatered used to totally break my balls. Somehow I just could never parry it and get the feel for spacing, I practiced it a ton when going for the gauntlets and I still got wrecked by it like 4 in 5 times.

Now imagine a Demon of Hatred with 3 full phases. That's my entire issue with Isshin, not the difficulty itself.

Wonko_C

As long as it takes, you never get better if you don't practice. As one boss (From cool indie game FURY) I had a tough time with said: "Excellence is not an art, it's pure habit. We are what we repeatedly do". It's became my motto ever since.

Hezekiah

Banned
Sekiro has taken it to another level.

Must have taken 50 attempts for me to deal with Lady Butterfly.

Currently on Genichiro and probably had 20 goes already.

Shifty

Until it is done.

c3271a906bf4ade274917d37abc30aed80f9e590.gifv

Banjo64

cumsessed
For some reason I struggled with Sir Alonne and Fume Knight, probably more than any other Souls’ bosses ever. Not sure how many times I tried them both (Fume Knight was harder) as I dropped the game and then picked it up again later and beat them both. It was a lot though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
As many times it I need to until I beat it, I might not be the most high skill player but I’m stubborn as fuck.

I think for Drakengard 3’s true final boss I retried more than 50 times, it become my daily routine.

Sleepwalker

Micolash made me rage quit bloodborne. Not because he was stupid hard but because I just hated that fight.

In elden Ring I wandered a lot and rune bear was the first boss I came across, took me at least 20 tries.

brian0057

Banned
I give it maybe half a dozen tries.
If I don't beat it by then, I go do something else in the game or stop playing the game altogether to cool off, maybe even play another game.
After that break, I'll try again and usually do much better. And I refuse to change difficulty for that.

TonyK

Elden Ring final boss, more than 30 attempts. Sekiro final boss even more, it took me 3 days of attempts to beat him

I'm playing Dark Souls 3, first FromSoft game, and it's getting really hard at the end so that made me curious.
48 is completely reasonable I think it took me 90 attempts for a nioh boss. It took me a week to beat Sigrun on give me god of war.

It took yongyea over 700 tries to beat flame lurker really underleveled

Last edited:
Might get some eye rolls here, but only 4-5 attempts to get that "fuck yes" feeling for me. When I'd beat a boss in Elden Ring after 20-30 attempts, there was no joy, just an eye roll and thanking God I can go back to experiencing the fun of the world.

Mind you, Demon's Souls and Elden Ring are the only "Souls-like" I enjoy, so take my opinion with some salt.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
For some reason I struggled with Sir Alonne and Fume Knight, probably more than any other Souls’ bosses ever. Not sure how many times I tried them both (Fume Knight was harder) as I dropped the game and then picked it up again later and beat them both. It was a lot though.
I have a lot to thank Fume Knight for. I probably tried him 100 times.

I had beat Dark Souls a handful of times before starting DS2 but I didn't really understand or "get" how combat, I-frames, dodging and countering worked in these games. I think I'd used classic great shield newbie builds and probably tried to go full Havel just to beat the first game. I definitely had no idea what I was doing against invaders.

Then Fume Knight came along and I was determined to beat him without a shield because I'd seen a video of it being done. It took fucking forever. I didn't really understand the simple concept of rolling into attacks or any of the basics going into that fight. But hours later I finally offed him and I was an exponentially better and more knowledgeable player exiting that fight.

Ever since that fight the From mechanics have clicked with me and I even did a level 1 run of DS2 about a year later.

Praise the Fume Knight and my one hundred bloodstains in his arena.

FutureMD

The first horseback enemy in elden ring took at least 30 times. Decided that was the end of my grind career, and did cheese builds ever since. I don't have time to waste memorizing every detail of every attack so that I don't accidentally mispress a button and have to restart the whole fight.

Ultra Donny

I think I had to face Aldrich, Devourer of Gods 25 times before I finally beat him. It's the hardest boss I encountered in a game besides Alma from ninja garden. Had some trouble with Pontiff Sulyvahn as well. Some bosses just give you a hard time, some don't depending on your game style. Dreaded meeting Dancer of the Boreal Valley based on what my friend told me. The second try I put that boss in the ground.

All time: That fucking horse dude Ludwig in the Old Hunters. Got good and went on to one shot the final boss of the dlc (dont even remember his name lol) . But man, Ludwig took me a month.

Recently, Godric the grafted because I was too underleveled. Fought him until i had a migraine lol. Well I wont be underlevel again thats for sure.

Zeroing

Banned
5 is my limit number, after that, I either I summon help - soullike games or I just pause and try it later.
I do not play video games to get more stressed. I play video games to relax.

Damigos

After around 10 tries i change difficulty. If there is no lower difficulty or no difficulty i start the online searching.

John_Ryder

I remember I spent a whole day beating Ludwig.
If I like the gameplay I don't mind trying a boss/section as many times as it takes to beat it.

Metalman96

It depends really. Margitt in Elden Ring took me 30ish tries before I finally got the hang of what I was doing. Way back in the day Riku in the OG Kingdom Hearts took me a week I think.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Depends. Some bosses like Orphan of Kos, Slave Knight Gael or Ludwig I killed on my first or second try. I remember Midir killed me like 50 times, and I had a lot of trouble with a boss rush near the end of Ninja Gaiden (2004).

More recently it took me a couple hours to kill Tiamat and the final boss of Stranger of Paradise. When I learned to cheese the final boss of Stranger of Paradise though I killed him second try

Last edited:

SeraphJan

If you don't restrict game genre, the boss that had me stuck for the most time was Wiegraf from the end of chapter 3, FFT.

Back in 1997, PS1 memory card size is limited, I had only one save for Final Fantasy Tactics, and I was completely unprepared for that boss, if anyone had memory of the 90s when they play FFT, they know what I'm talking about. Its basically a dead save.

Last edited:
Top Bottom