• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many games do *really* enjoy per year?

How many games per year do you *really* enjoy?

• None

Votes: 11 5.0%

Votes: 21 9.5%

Votes: 35 15.8%

Votes: 44 19.8%

Votes: 16 7.2%

Votes: 22 9.9%
  • 6 to 8

Votes: 26 11.7%
  • 9 to 10

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • 11 to 15

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • 16 to 20

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Over 20

Votes: 17 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
16 to 20 - These are the games I enjoyed in the last year:

Gears 5 Series X
Gears 5 Hivebusters
AC Valhalla
Psychonauts 2
The Medium
The Ascent
Skyrim SE
Fallout 3
Fallout NV
MS FS2020
Sea of Solitude
Outriders
Call of the Sea
Control SE
Mass Effect: Andromeda (much to my surprise)
Titanfall 2
Jedi:FO
SOMA

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Usually about 3-4 but in the last 365 days…. Really not too many. Because of which I put games down for a bit.

playing started to feel like a job….

lachesis

I rarely buy any game that I don't intend to finish... so it really depends on.
With Game Pass - I tried a few games, but so far I didn't really progress much either if the game wasn't as interesting and just gave up in many cases.

None of the games so far wasn't faultless - so the degree of enjoyment really depends on how much fault they have.

Something like Persona 3 FES that I'm playing right now.
I am enjoying it, but whenever I listen to that rapper guy in the BGM, I keep thinking of German Naruto anime opening and cringe...
Or doing some filler quests for the Persona 5S, or how BOTW didn't have real dungeons other than 4 divine beasts etc.

But if I like a game overall - then I tend to finish it to as complete as possible. That number, is usually around 6-10 a year, depending on how long those games are.

Kaachan

games? enjoy?

giphy.gif
I'm scared for life

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
On average, 2-3 games per year.

2 of them are usually PlayStation Studios games (GoW and Spider-Man in 2018, Days Gone and Death Stranding in 2019, TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima in 2020).

Then every now and then, there comes a cool indie game that I enjoy (Hollow Knight, Disco Elysium, Hades, Death's Door) or a big AAA multi-platform game (Red Dead Redemption 2)

Griffon

Hard to say because these past two years have been weird af.
But usually I play many games, some for a good while but that end up getting shelved because meh.

I'd say I only really enjoy 3 games to 6 per year (on a very good year).

In 2021 so far there's only 2 games I heartily enjoyed: RE8 and FF14. Maybe something new will impress me before the end of the holidays, but the calendar is looking pretty dire. Seems like FF14 expansion Endwalker is gonna be everything I'll play.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
When I say "really enjoy," I mean you enjoy the moment-to-moment experience, and the game leaves you feeling satisfied, like you've had fun and your time has been well spent.
I think that's all games for me. :messenger_grinning_sweat: If that wouldn't be the case I would just stop playing, why bother?

I would say it's around 15-20 for me.

DelireMan7

I play around 15 games per year. Last year, I played 15 games and I enjoyed all of them.

I am rarely not enjoying a game. I am an enthusiastic gamer and probably focus on the good thing and tend to not see (or not being bothered by) what others define as bad.

This year I am currently at 13 games (but 5 are replay) and only one is a disappointment (Lunar : Silver Star Harmony). I enjoyed all the other. I like to take time in games and really get into in their world/universe.

Jadsey

I don't understand this post.

I have beaten 31 games so far this year (exactly 634 hours of game time if anyone is interested!).

I've enjoyed all of them!!

Otherwise, I would have retired them like the two I have so far this year (Doom Eternal and Maquette)

Who plays games they are not enjoying? Why is the most popular vote only 3 games? Why are you reading this instead of completing more games?

I'm so confused.

Haggard

Banned
1-3. Can´t remember when the last time was when a single year had more gaming highlights than that for me.

DelireMan7

I am really surprised by the low numbers.

Would be interesting to see the % of enjoyed games VS games played in the poll.
Because a plain number doesn't really say something. (Some people will enjoy only 5 games a year but because they only have time to play 5 games while some other will enjoy 15 games but out of 30)

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

I have beaten 31 games so far this year (exactly 634 hours of game time if anyone is interested!).

Otherwise, I would have retired them like the two I have so far this year (Doom Eternal and Maquette)

Who plays games they are not enjoying? Why is the most popular vote only 3 games? Why are you reading this instead of completing more games?

I'm so confused.

Hmm, I may be wrong here (happens a lot so) but I think many here interpret the question as in how many were REALLY to your personal taste so much as it's special and stands out above other releases that year. I think we all enjoy most if not all games we play, like you said; why else play them? It's a bit like movies in a sense that I more or less enjoy most I see on some level on a yearly basis but there's maybe a handful (if that) that are just special and warrant a rewatch and linger in your mind for weeks to come

ripeavocado

Banned
Given the low numbers, it explains why gamepass is so welcomed by people that should reject it.

You aren’t enjoying games that much anymore and instead of using your free time to do something else you are ok with playing games you don’t like and therefore the cheaper they are, the better (regardless of the bad long term consequences of the game Pass model)

The thing is that games really suck lately and the passes are going to make them even worse.

Feel free to contribute into burning gaming to the ground, I will be enjoying something else in my free time, sadly.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Depends on the year, sometimes it's none, sometimes 5. For example I cannot recall anything particularly great from 2020, but this year has been really great for me so far with The Ascent, Hades, Art of Rally which I play every day basically, The Artful Escape was a great moment-to-moment experience, and now there's Kena which I do enjoy A LOT as well.

Last edited:

Humdinger

[after quoting what I said in OP about "really enjoying" a game] I think that's all games for me. :messenger_grinning_sweat: If that wouldn't be the case I would just stop playing, why bother?

Since a number of people have said "I don't play games I don't enjoy," which I think misses the distinction I tried to make in the OP, I'll respond with an attempt at further clarification (which no one but you will read, lol). These terms are subjective, but...

In my mind, anyhow, there is a difference between "enjoying a game" enough to continue playing it and "really enjoying" a game. Few people will play a game if they are not deriving some enjoyment from the experience. But I'm not talking about "some enjoyment," I'm talking about a lot of it.

Think of the difference on rating scales, where you can choose whether something is "somewhat" true or "very much" true. I'm talking about "very much," not "somewhat". It's the difference between "that was okay; it was enjoyable or engaging enough to keep me playing" vs. "that was really enjoyable!" It's a matter of degree; that's the distinction I'm trying to make.

Humdinger

I'm so confused.
See my response above. It's a distinction based on gradations in enjoyment. Not just "that was fine; it was enjoyable enough to keep me playing" but rather "that was really fun!" Or put whatever language on it works for you.

Surely you can see a distinction between mild, moderate, and high levels of enjoyment of a thing? You didn't enjoy all 31 games equally, right? Some you enjoyed a little; some you enjoyed a medium amount, and some you enjoyed a lot. I'm asking how many you enjoyed a lot. (It's a subjective thing, I know, but I think you can grasp the distinction.)

Last edited:

reezoo

9~10

had a blast this year, skipped ps4 gen, got ps5 last year and finished below games

God of War
Uncharted 4
Spider-man
Spider-man Miles Morales
Horizon Zero Dawn
Demon's Souls (remake)
Astro Playroom
Final Fantasy XV
The Last Guardian
Detroit Become Human
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Cofee Talk (not much of a game but really enjoyable)

Finished Breath of the Wilde and Mario Oddessy before above games. : ) my teeths are out as I am typing this, what a joy I had this year gaming. Games for rest of the year

Infamous Second Son
Neir Automata
Bloodborne
Final Fantasy VII (remake)
Monster Hunter World
Persona 5
Resident Evil VII
Witcher 3

Last edited:

Shut0wen

How the hell am i supposed to put a number on this? I had a 3 year break from games and doing a catch up, currently playing and enjoying ac origins

Humdinger

I am really surprised by the low numbers.

Would be interesting to see the % of enjoyed games VS games played in the poll.
Because a plain number doesn't really say something. (Some people will enjoy only 5 games a year but because they only have time to play 5 games while some other will enjoy 15 games but out of 30)

Yeah, I was surprised too (OP here). The median is 3. It's almost at 4, so maybe you could say 3 or 4. Still, that's lower than I would've expected, in a crowd of gaming enthusiasts. I was expecting an average of at least half a dozen.

I'm at 1 myself, which is only a third of the already-low median (3). That tells me I'm not finding nearly as many "really enjoyable" games per year as most people are. I already knew that, but it's interesting to see the numbers.

I agree percentages would be useful.

I play about 16 - 20 a year.

Only half of those are new games. So my dirty little secret is that the top 10 games of the year list I put so much thought into is in reality "the 10 games I played this year that also came out this year, arranged."

Sometimes I play a game 3 years after its release and think "oh yeah, I would have liked writing about this in my top 10."

I enjoy them well enough, I'm always trying to pick games I'll like and I'm good at doing that after doing it my whole life. On rare occasions I screw up and pick a game that I hate, but usually I like most games I play each year and really love a select few.

JCK75

I'm just in a weird place with gaming..
I buy games regularly but just don't play them..
I keep going back to Stardew Valley, Skyrim and Overwatch.. some Valheim from time to time..
not sure what the hell is wrong with me.

Jadsey

See my response above. It's a distinction based on gradations in enjoyment. Not just "that was fine; it was enjoyable enough to keep me playing" but rather "that was really fun!" Or put whatever language on it works for you.

Surely you can see a distinction between mild, moderate, and high levels of enjoyment of a thing? You didn't enjoy all 31 games equally, right? Some you enjoyed a little; some you enjoyed a medium amount, and some you enjoyed a lot. I'm asking how many you enjoyed a lot. (It's a subjective thing, I know, but I think you can grasp the distinction.)

Nice condescending reply....I can read.

Perhaps then you should change the poll to 'How many games a year do you find to be outstanding' as that is what you actually mean.

I stand by my answer...I enjoyed all the games I finished this year which was your pre-doctored question.

In answer to the correct question (which you originally failed to establish), I would say I generally find 10-12 game a year are outstanding and memorable.

Last edited:

Dark Star

1-3 new games, like this year: RE Village, Hitman 3, Little Nightmares 2.

I'm sure there's others that I'll enjoy as well in late 2021/2022, but I don't buy new games. I usually wait for a PSN sale or something.

Likewise, I'm usually behind on gaming, and find myself playing titles from two or three years ago because I never played them before. I probably play like 5-6 games total every year along with constants like COD.

Plantoid

What I really enjoyed this year so far: hades, immortal fenyx Rising, halo infinite mp, psychonauts 2, dishonored, Ori 2...

I voted 5 because some of these games are old, but still..

Humdinger

Nice condescending reply....I can read.

Perhaps then you should change the poll to 'How many games a year do you find to be outstanding' as that is what you actually mean.

I stand by my answer...I enjoyed all the games I finished this year which was your pre-doctored question.

In answer to the correct question (which you originally failed to establish), I would say I generally find 10-12 game a year are outstanding and memorable.

Pot meet kettle.

Look, I can't help it if I'm smarter than you.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

I would say about 5. I really enjoyed RE Village and AI Somnium Files this year. I can't really think of anything else at the moment which I gave an 8/10 or above. I played Cyberpunk 2077, HZD, RDR2, Days Gone and all of them scored below 8. Life is Strange true colors was a disappointment too. Twelve Minutes was good but again fell just short of being great.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I used to chip away at one or two or even three from 2006-2017

Bought a Switch in 2018 and now the number is probably around like six to eight games maybe? Talking single player games btw

Roni

Gold Member
This year I've played Jedi Fallen Order, Hitman 3, Cyberpunk 2077 and am now enjoying Deathloop. Will probably take some time with it and then get to something else before the end of the year.

So I voted 5...

Gankthenew

no more than 2,a long one for weekend and a short one for weekday night,because if I find a game I really like ,I will not want to play other games any more

Fools idol

Banned
2-3 I would say. Ver rare that I enjoy a triple A title these days though Deathloop was very good.

Indie scene has a lot of gems but also a lot of turds. For every Pathfinder or Valheim we get 1000 trash asset flips so..

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
About 3 for me. This year so far: RE Village, Eastward, and hoping Metroid Dread will keep me goin.

MagnesG

Banned
I finish around 1-3 games per months depending on the game lengths, so probably around 20 games this year so far. I would only finish games that enjoy btw.

I can give you a very specific answer, lol. I rate (on a 5 star scale) and review every game I play as a sort of hobby within the hobby of gaming. I consider any game that I rate as 4 or 5 to be a game I really enjoyed. I went back over the past 13 years and there were 218 such games for me. So I "really enjoy" 16.77 games per year. :p Not too bad, especially considering I'll give plenty of games/genres a chance just out of curiosity.

sedg87

Banned
In the last few years my average would probably be two or three games that I absolutely adore. This year it's only one: Resident Evil Village. I've picked up Returnal, Tales of Arise, Deathloop, Metro Exodus, Tormented Souls, Diablo 2 and I've enjoyed every single one but none of them are games I'll ever go back to or bring up in conversation. They're good games and that's about it.

MachRc

Holy chet I just passed Village!
Only took me about 5 months. Compared to almost 2 years for Tomb Raider.
8oWB0Hn.jpg

with Halo infinite around the corner, that would be number 4. The little time I have, I am surprised I get to actually play tons of games.
But only like 3-4 that I really enjoy.

Humdinger

I can give you a very specific answer, lol. I rate (on a 5 star scale) and review every game I play as a sort of hobby within the hobby of gaming. I consider any game that I rate as 4 or 5 to be a game I really enjoyed. I went back over the past 13 years and there were 218 such games for me. So I "really enjoy" 16.77 games per year. :p Not too bad, especially considering I'll give plenty of games/genres a chance just out of curiosity.

Haha, thank you. That is a VERY specific answer. :)

Top Bottom