• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many games do *really* enjoy per year?

How many games per year do you *really* enjoy?

• None

Votes: 11 5.0%

Votes: 21 9.5%

Votes: 35 15.8%

Votes: 44 19.8%

Votes: 16 7.2%

Votes: 22 9.9%
  • 6 to 8

Votes: 26 11.7%
  • 9 to 10

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • 11 to 15

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • 16 to 20

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Over 20

Votes: 17 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Humdinger

How many games per year do you really enjoy? Try to estimate an average over the past few years, rather than just think of this year.

When I say "really enjoy," I'm not talking about games that you merely keep playing. Games can keep me engaged enough to keep playing, yet I still don't enjoy them all that much. When I say "really enjoy," I mean you really enjoy the moment-to-moment experience, and the game leaves you feeling very satisfied, like you've had a lot of fun, and your time has been well spent.

edit: Some people are having trouble with the question, so I'll try to clarify. I'm talking about games that you enjoy a lot, as opposed to games that you enjoy a mild amount. I'm talking about the distinction between a game that is enjoyable enough to keep you playing, but leaves you feeling like, "That was okay; that was fine; next?" vs. a game that you thoroughly enjoy and take a lot of pleasure in.

If you're wondering where I'm coming from with this question, I'll explain. I've noticed my interest in games decreasing over the past 5 to 7 years. I went back and looked at the games that I've played over that time, and I tried to separate the games that I played from the games I really enjoyed. I discovered that I only "really enjoyed" about one game per year, on average (high point in 2017, with three games). There was about a 6 to 1 ratio between games I played and games I truly enjoyed.

Anyhow, I'm just curious to compare my experiences with those of others.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I don't know about anyone here but I know I thoroughly enjoy a game if I find myself replaying it right after beating it.
This year, thus far, that honour goes to This War of Mine.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Probably a maximum of 5

No it depends..

I enjoy all games but some of them stick out

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't buy games i know i will not enjoy.
And we are done.

But surely far more than 20 every year.

Even if i spend let's say 10 euros for a month of ubisoft pass to play fc6, i'm probably gonna get 15-20 hours of fun before getting bored because it's a more of the same brand with mediocre narrative, but 10 euros for 20 hours of fun are still a damn good deal if you ask me.

Last edited:

gtrwll

I’m quick to drop games that I don’t enjoy playing, as time is limited. I also prefer longer games with extensive stories, so the total average for the past few years would probably be 3-4 per year.

Your situation sounds similar to mine some years ago. Maybe try something out of the box and see if it sticks?

I often prefer replaying a gem from the past over a new game that I'm not sure if I will like it or not.

I play indies too, well I was more open to them when they were in a price war and you could reliably find them for 5$ or so

So I voted 3, but two may be oldish.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Honestly, the industry only produces one game every two or three years that I love. That being said, I'm optimistic about the future with PSVR2 and multiplayer projects in the pipeline. I could see that turning into 1 or 2 games per year pretty soon.

Fredrik

I don’t have much time for games so I really enjoy all games I keep playing or I simply stop playing them.

So far this year I’ve played through Cyberpunk, Moss, Ratchet & Clank, The Ascent, Halo 5. Really enjoyed all of them. The Ascent and Ratchet & Clank are on my GOTY list. I’ve also played through some old nostalgia favorites like Super Metroid and The Last Ninja.

I’m still playing No Man’s Sky, MS Flight Sim, Skyrim, Cyberpunk, Minecraft, AC Odyssey. So those go under the really enjoy label. And I have put Demon’s Souls, Ghost of Tsushima, Fantasian and Biomutant on pause, really enjoy those too but I’m kinda exhausted at the moment.

And Forza Horizon 5 is coming soon. Kena looks interesting as well. Still haven’t touched Returnal either.
I think I better put in a vote for 20.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ll buy 30 or more games a year. 10 or more I’ll remember very well. But replays and remasters take me back to better years. If I’m playing a remastered or remade game. It doesn’t exactly count as the brand new game I really enjoyed. It sure could be the best version of that game. I played DaS3 and Bloodborne again this year and I’ve replayed them in the past already. It was mainly because I wanted to relive that adventure.

I think that’s a good thing. A game that was already made gets replayed. That shows it had a lot of value than a “one and done”. A lot of good AAA games are a “one and done”. You don’t exactly go back to it unless there’s a good reason to. I have a lot of retro classic collections that I’ll play. It isn’t because it’s the hot new video game. It’s because they’ve stood the test of time and will be remembered for being something than this weeks hottest new video game.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Honestly. I’ll buy probably 15-20 games a year, I’ll truly enjoy 5-8 of those and play them through property, go for the platinum on the ones I really enjoy. I do like to get my moneys worth and I feel that people who are complaining about pricing are a bit silly. The value I get out of games is better than it has ever been. I don’t see how I’ll ever get round to playing everything I want so I have to choose carefully now.

BlackTron

On average, one. Really, we are at the point where calling a title Game of the Year doesn't even mean that much because what did it have to beat to get there?

I’ve finished 31 games so far this year and I enjoyed all of them (otherwise I would have dropped them). And then there’s the ones I enjoyed but can’t really be finished. I’m surprised the poll caps at 20, seems a bit casual to me.

But yeah over 20 for sure.
I have kid , a house and other hobbies... Oh I almost forgot a job, etc. I'm also picky are to which games I spend time on.

Yup, probably casual.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Most of the games I buy. I tend to be pretty good at recognizing what games I will like and those are the ones I buy. Then there's a few from PS+ that surprise me once in awhile.

cireza

Banned
Between one and five, if counting only new releases. I play a lot of oldies and make some awesome discoveries, so it helps compensate.

Last year was pretty bad, I think I only really enjoyed one game (Brigandine). 2021 is better, it started with Hitman 3, Aleste Collection, I loved the Neo Geo Pocket Collection (which I am still playing), looking forward to the DLC for Outer Wilds, and there are still other games to come, including Halo Infinite and Metroid Dread. Very strong year.

Next year should be nice as well, especially with the new Sonic game.

Last edited:

Bankai

I complete (finish till credits) about 40 games a year and I always enjoy most of them. I sometimes replay old classics, so I know I will love them (again).

I only play single player games, except for some timeless couch-coop games like Worms, Playstation Allstars and some racing games.

Mr Hyde

Maybe 10-15 games a year. That's what I mostly have time to complete and I don't play stuff I don't like.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I voted 16-20. I usually play over 52 games every year, and I'd say a solid 1/3rd of those are standouts that I get super engaged in and that capture me like OP describes.

Guilty_AI

games? enjoy?

giphy.gif

Cryio

This year has been weird for me, given I've went through A LOT OF GAMES in a short timeframe
For example:

Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Ratchet and Clank 2002
Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 2 (GameCube)
Resident Evil 3 (GameCube, haven't finished yet)
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2: Band of Thieves (haven't finished yet)
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Killzone 1
Doom 3
Quake 4
RAGE 1
Chronicles of Riddick - Escape from Butchet's Bay
Wolfenstein 2009
Wolfenstein - The Old Blood
Wolfenstein - The New Colossus (haven't finished yet)
Horizon Zero Dawn (haven't finished yet)
No One Lives Forever 1 (haven't finished yet)
Spider-Man 2: The Movie game (haven't finished yet)
Jak and Daxter - The Precursor Legacy (haven't finished yet)
God of War 2005 (haven't finished yet)
Alone in the Dark: Inferno (haven't finished yet)
Dying Light (haven't finished yet)

This beside me replaying:
Spider-Man 2000
Darksiders 3 (haven't finished yet a 2nd time)
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Tomb Raider Legend (RPCS3 - better than PC version)
Tomb Raider Anniversary (RPCS3 - better than PC version)
Splinter Cell 1 (GameCube - different to PC)
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow (GameCube - different to PC)
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (GameCube - different to PC)
Resident Evil 4 (After finishing it on Dolphin, replayed it on PCSX2 right after)

Everything I've played this year I've enjoyed a lot.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

I’m at exactly 13 games played extensively for 2021 so far and have really enjoyed most of them give or take one. So probably in the 11-15 range.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

No more than 2 a year in the last 5 years or so, there isn't enough new games released i like since the shift to online stores and mmo type games, i still play older games at times of course and enjoy them but not as much as when i first played them and was completely immersed, in fact there isn't a game i want until Saints Row then Starfield in over a years time. that's if they make their release date.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
New games that I really enjoy. Probably up to 3.

That said last 2 games that left me with mouth agape were alyx and astrobot.
Alyx was incredible magic. I stood on that balcony for 20 minutes drooling. I've cried on the ending. The game was so strong but somehow it's bad to replay. That first playthrough burned itself in my mind. Every inch of it.

Astrobot filled me with awe for dualsense, music and nostalgia. I don't remember being this happy over a video game. A friend was here when we unpacked the PS5 and played (and finished in 1 sitting) astrobot. We literally cried tears of joy on gpu jungle song

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I'm picky now. I used to buy and play a lot and if I didn't like it oh well. Now I carefully pick my games that I know I will love and play plus keep them. 5 or 6.

Artistic

Not sure if I can put a # on it, as I don't think I come nearly close to buying 20 games a year. But I think about 80-90% of them I end up enjoying.

BigBooper

Maybe 5. I love systems heavy games that simulate lots of things. Like Stardew Valley or Evil Genius 2. There are a ton of them around right now, but unfortunately a lot of them follow the survival game blueprint and burn me out. So Evil Genuis 2 was great this year. Also Iron Harvest and Yakuza Kiwami so far.

Last edited:

Roberts

I would say that before Gamepass it was 4-6 games a year, now it is somewhere between 10 and 20.

To back it.up: I had amazing time with Sea of Thieves PotC update, Death’s Door, Hades, Psychonauts 2 and The Ascent. I finally got into Like A Dragon and it’s actually awesome game. I enjoyed the hell out of The Artful Escape. Ender Lilies was awesome. I finally got into Forza Horizon 4 this year and now I’m leaning towards the opinion that it is the best in the series. I never played Risk of Rain 2 before and that took quite a bit of my time. And even though Grounded is still not finished, it’s an excellent game. Knockout City is probably my favourite competitive game I’ve played in a long time. Thanks to FPS boost I played some old games for the first time and the standouts were Dishonoured and the last Deus Ex game. And this is not even counting a bunch of solid 7/10 games that were good but probably don’t belong in this thread.

I would say about 5. Depends on the year. Getting Gamepass has that number increasing a bit since there's games that I get to try that I wouldn't have bought before only to be pleasantly surprised.

My rule of thumb is after beating the game, do I want to go back and play it again in the future? If the answer is yes, it's usually a thoroughly enjoyed gaming experience. Same goes with movies.

Daymos

I'd say 4 or 5. I never finish more than 12 a year. Most games are enjoyable at least half the time.. otherwise I wouldn't play it.

Playing ys 8 right now, it's not always 100 percent great but it's never tedious or boring.

Top Bottom