• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many consoles have you owned that had hardware failure?

I’ve had a few consoles go wrong.

2 PS2 consoles had the disc read error
1 OG Xbox just wouldn’t power up.
2 Xbox 360s (RRoD of course)
1 Xbox one (discs were grinding which was weird)
1 Xbox One X (running super hot and loud)

Outside of that, pretty good!

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

John_Ryder

1 RROD which led me to start boycotting Microsoft consoles but after all the fuss about game pass and how good the series x is I caved and bought one.
Now that one is acting funny.

• Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

Monokrom

One, PS3 40GB. Well, the hdmi connection went bust because of a defect hdmi cable. Decided to buy a new PS3 Slim 320GB instead of paying money to repair it. So that's that.

Bonus: My Commodore SX-64 is out of order too. But that's not a a console so.

Last edited:
Game Gear- bad caps; I replaced them to fix it
Virtual Boy- ribbon cable broke on one of the displays; had it repaired once but the fix wasn’t permanent, still broken
Xbox 360- original model that RROD; warrantee replaced
Switch OLED- WiFi died; warrantee replaced

For reference, here are all the consoles I’ve owned (still own) over the years. I think I’ve been pretty lucky that what did have issues could be fixed or git replaced.

NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, WiiU, Switch (original), Switch OLED, Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Color, DS lite, 3DS, 3DS XL, new 3DS, new 3DS XL, Genesis, Game Gear, Dreamcast, PS2 phat, PS2 slim, PS3 60GB, PS3 Slim (x2), PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, PSP 1000, PSP 2000, PSP Go, PS Vita, PS Vita Slim, PSTV, XBox, XBox 360 (original), XBox 360 Slim, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Neo Geo Pocket

Wasn't it primarily the cheapskate barebones 360 model that got the majority of RROD cases?

Same with the PS3 and the cheaper model getting more YLOD.

Kadve

Lets see. The power supply died on my original PS1 back in the day, and the replacement which my parents bought second hand was of the 1000 series so say it with me; Playing upside-down due to melting laser assembly! (Was later given the one that my sister had though and that one still works fine)

As for my PS2 days. My slim developed laser issues after a few years and struggled to read discs. So i bought a second slim at a flea market with the seller guaranteeing me that there was no issues with it. Lasted a couple of weeks before developing the same problem as my first. Then found a phat PS2 at a thrift store that i bought without any garanters whatsoever (it was extremely cheap). And it ended up working perfectly! But i wanted a slim so bought one from another thrift store. Again with the seller guaranteeing that it would work and guess what? It lasted even shorter than the second one! (but this time i got my money back at least).

(The morale of this story? Don't buy PS2 slims and even if i don't like the huge and loud brute I'm sticking with my garage find....)

Also had a phat PS3 develop RLOD. But my Super Slim replacement still works fine.

Last edited:

nordique

I have owned the following at one point or another:

N64
GameCube (launch)
Wii (launch)
Wii mini
Wii U
Switch (launch)
Switch OLED (launch)

Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance launch
Gameboy Advance SP launch
Nintendo DS (blue)
Nintendo Ds lite launch
Nintendo DSi
Nintendo dsi xl
Nintendo 3DS at launch
Nintendo 3DS XL
New Nintendo 3DS XL

PSP 1000
PSP 2000
PSP go
PS Vita launch /oled

PlayStation 1 circa 1997
PSone revision at launch
PS2 launch
PS2 slim (first version with external power)
PS3 80gb version
PS3 slim (launch)
PS3 super slim
PS4 (launch)
PS4 Pro (launch)
PS5 (launch)

Xbox circa 2003 holiday bundle
Xbox 360 1 year post launch
Xbox 360 slim
Xbox One launch edition
Xbox One S shortly after launch
Xbox One X at launch
Xbox series S
Xbox series X

Never had one of them fail on me but I did do a lot of flipping.

Only systems I own currently since launch are:
New Nintendo 3DS
Switch OG - needs a fan replacement
Switch Oled
PS5
Xbox series X

I have a used Wii U, PS Vita, PS3 slim, PS4 Pro none of which are my own original ones and they have been having zero issues

No issues with any of the systems I have ever owned, knock on wood

Overall I lucked out. Never had RROD or anything common. Switch OG runs fine but I do need to replacement the rattle fan.

Last edited:
Had a PS2 slim for quite a few years before it developed laser issues and struggled to read discs
Found a second slim at a flea market with the seller guaranteeing me that there was no issues with it. Lasted a couple of weeks before developing the same problem as my first.
Found a phat PS2 at a thrift store that i bought without any garanters whatsoever (it was extremely cheap). And it ended up working perfectly!
But i wanted a slim so bought one from another thrift store. Again with the seller guaranteeing that it would work and guess what? It lasted even shorter than the second one! (but this time i got my money back at least).

The morale of this story? Don't buy PS2 slims and even if i don't like it the huge and load brute i'm sticking with my garage find....

There are also several revisions of the slim, some more reliable than others. Unless you want to take a lot of time investigating, it's better to just buy a fat imo.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
First 360 I broke myself because I wanted to mod it and had no idea I have to copy drive key. (I finally succeeded with 2nd one). But it was falcon so it would die.
Next one was jasper. still alive!
But I've seen a real 360 die in person.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Both my launch 360 and PS3 had to be replaced. The 360 had some kind of video signal issue, and my PS3 wouldn’t eject a game. It was that turn based JRPG with characters that would shoot guns.

Both replacements worked very well.

Last edited:

Kadve

There are also several revisions of the slim, some more reliable than others. Unless you want to take a lot of time investigating, it's better to just buy a fat imo.
Yes i know you ideally want the 9000x (last one they made) rather than the generic 7xxxx slims. But people know this meaning they are kinda expensive unless you're lucky enough to run into one at a sale.

Honestly what i really want is another 60GB phat PS3 with BC. Know a lot more now about how to fix potential Y/RLOD but that's only if i can find one for a realistic price.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Xbox 360 consoles. I went through 3 of them that were faulty. I finally got the 360 S and never had an issue after that. Controllers, I have had PS controllers fail on me too often. All that sucks, but I didn't lose any sleep over those hardware failures.

Edit: I forgot I had a PS3 YLOD on me. BUT it happened the DAY I was trading it in for a PS4, so I didn't miss a beat except trade in value. I just tossed it in the garbage. It lasted a lot longer than my 360 consoles, lol.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

iirc just the 360, first one was with the Falcon motherboard, Jasper was still working when I traded it for a Wii U.

N64 still worked, PS4 still worked, PS5 still worked, Wii U still worked

OG PS3 fat - Overheated or something and wouldn't boot up, replaced with PS3 Slim.

Technically not a failure, but my PS4 Pro sounded like a hair dryer with later games that ran at 4K. To the point where I didn't want to play games on it anymore. Replaced with a PS5.

Kvally

Banned
OG PS3 fat - Overheated or something and wouldn't boot up, replaced with PS3 Slim.

Technically not a failure, but my PS4 Pro sounded like a hair dryer with later games that ran at 4K. To the point where I didn't want to play games on it anymore. Replaced with a PS5.
My PS4 Pro fan was loud (louder over time), but I was used to it so I never noticed anymore. It ended up being white noise.

Rossco EZ

I got the old it can only cost a maximum of $299 to send it in and repair it email which I don't really blame them

Sad though it’s what 2 years old and dies?
cheaper than buying a new one but yeah that is something that shouldn’t happen after 2 years. i took out extended warranty on mine but they wouldn’t even repair my controller that came with the console when i had an issue a few months ago so i regret paying for extra warranty doesn’t seem to mean much when i contacted support

fart town usa

Gold Member
I had a Wii die on me but I think it was largely due to how dusty my friends house was, dog fur/cat fur everywhere. The vent was loaded with stuff when I got it back and it just kept spitting out games after a few minutes of playing them.

Original PSX was pretty notorious with dying, or at least it would seem dead but if you flipped the console upside down it'd work. Weird issue.

360 was by far the worst, those OG consoles are complete pieces of trash in terms of build. Ugly as sin too with that power brick.

NES can be tricky with reading cartridges but that could be the cartridge itself.

Can't think of anything else that caused issues.

MrA

Banned
One, PS3 40GB. Well, the hdmi connection went bust because of a defect hdmi cable. Decided to buy a new PS3 Slim 320GB instead of paying money to repair it. So that's that.

Bonus: My Commodore SX-64 is out of order too. But that's not a a console so.
Probably needs a new pla, a guy in poland(i think ) makes replacements 5 years ago they were like 20 usd

Just picked up a dead channel f. Going to try and save it

Last edited:

Comfortgel

My list of systems :

Atari 2600 heavy sixer - Still Works
Atari 5200 4-port - Still works, joysticks are fine after replacing the flex circuits with the Best Electronics replacements.
Atari 7800 - Still works
Atari Lynx - Still works
Atari Jaguar & CD - CD player is getting janky, but both still work.

Colecovision - Still works
Intellivision 1 / 2 / INTV III - all still work
Odyssey 2 - Still works
Bally Astrocade - Gave up the ghost a few years ago, haven't had time to go cap hunting.
Vectrex - Still works, but is giving an ugly hum now.
Goldstar 3D0 - still works
CDI-220 - Still works
Turbografx-16 / TurboCD - CD player is dead dead dead.
PC-Engine - still works

NES - three new edge connectors later, and it's working. for now.
OG Famicom - still works
FDS - replaced the belts, still works
SNES - still works
N64 - still works
Gamecube - still works, but one memory card died.
Wii - still works

Gameboy - still works, but the screen is starting to develop lines on the left.
GB Advance SP AGS-101 - still works
Purple 3DS - still works

SMS - Died, think the power supply shorted.
Genesis - still works
Sega CD/32x - both still work
Saturn - died after 2-3 years. Just stopped reading cd's, then wouldn't power up anymore.
Dreamcast - still works

Xbox - rev 1 is very dead, 1.6 still works fine.
360 Elite - RROD, but Microsoft repaired for free and it still works.
Xbone - still works
XSX - running like a champ

PS1 - still works. og with RCA ports and serial/parallel. Many, many dead memory cards though.
PS2 - can't read cd's, has trouble with dvd's
PS3 Slim - still works.
PS4 Pro - noisy, but still works.
PS5 - works great

PSP - still works.

All were bought new off the shelf / imported when still new.

6/45 died, with one resurrection (360 elite), so 5/45 died.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Maybe because I upgraded to Slim, my Xbox 360 Jasper works fine for some other young family member. I know that it will die eventually, but still it's pretty good.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I think my first DS Lite had that faulty hinge joint and broken apart.

My first Sega Dreamcast died after 6 plays after a fuse burnt out. I knew nothing about bssic engineering repairs, it'd likely have been a 5-minute fix. I ended up getting the black sports model after.

My first PS2 slim had a door lock issue and would freeze games as if the eject/open button was pushed at random times. Replaced with the platinum thin.

I've owned two 360s and somehow they never had any issues. Everyone else I knew had replaced theirs 1 or 2 times...

I can't remember a single one, honestly. And I've owned almost every console since the 8-bit era at one time or another. Some of them were bought used though.

Guess I've been lucky!

F31 Leopard

3 RROD. My launch 360, sent it to MS for replacement. Replacement RROD. Bought a brand new Elite and after a couple of hours RROD. Went back to Walmart to exchange was interrogated trying to return it. 2 YLOD BC fat PS3. Bought Xbox One right out the box that wouldn't boot up. Kept freezing.

pramod

Banned
Xbox 360
PS4
A used PS3 that was defective when I bought it. I got screwed on that one.
A Game Gear that stopped working after about 20 years.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
2x 360s. Both with the RROD.

1x PS4. Started to sound like a jet engine and overheat.

My NES had problems reading cartridges after a while.
The 32x was finicky with contacts, so you had to be careful how everything was placed.
The disc drive of my Nintendo GameCube stopped working.

I never bought a console a second time.

I think that's it, and I owned pretty much all importants consoles since then at one point or another.

Lone Wolf

Had a 360 Elite RROD on me. Repaired by MS.

N64 that wouldnt turn on after 1 month. Returned to store for replacement.

Thats it.

Nok Su Kow

1 - Xbox 360 (One Red light)
1 - PS2 (DVD lens)
1 - Amiga (Floppy drive)
3 - C64 (tape decks)
5- PS1 (CD lens)

Everything else still works including my Gamecube that flipped off the shelf landed upside down with the game disc flying across the room..... not only does it still work IT DIDN'T EVEN CRASH THE GAME it just said re-insert disc and away it went!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
1 Xbox 360 (launch)
2 PS4 (launch and uncharted 4 LE console
1 Xbox One X

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
1 - Xbox 360 (One Red light)
1 - PS2 (DVD lens)
1 - Amiga (Floppy drive)
3 - C64 (tape decks)
5- PS1 (CD lens)

Everything else still works including my Gamecube that flipped off the shelf landed upside down with the game disc flying across the room..... not only does it still work IT DIDN'T EVEN CRASH THE GAME it just said re-insert disc and away it went!
You identified the specific issues, were they able to be fixed? My PS2 issue mentioned above about "please close disc door" while it was securely closed seemed to be more unique to the first slim model. I had my fat PS2 for 5-years and bought a slim around the same time I bought PS3 in 2007. I bought the platinum slim and haven't had that issue.

My Gamecube was dropped onto a concrete floor by someone dusking my room (they lifted it and it supposedly "slipped"). Hard hit for the GC and nearly 1-meter drop and it never died. It still worked until I sold it and bought the Onyx GC years ago. Same deal with the GC controls...they could take a beating and I never saw one break.

Top Bottom