• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long can PC gaming last with current prices on graphics cards?

Fixed that for you. It's the game that are relatively stagnant in tech. PC components constantly get better, but the games don't really take advantage.
That's what I meant. PCs keep getting more powerful, but the games are still built around the limitations of the console first so in order to see a massive difference in the way games are designed, you need a new console generation to start and then you'll see that PC tech be used more.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I got some bad news for you.
The crypto crash everyone is waiting for....its not coming.
And as long as the news keeps talking about crypto....we are pretty much fucked.

The only real hope is that Nvidia/AMD/Intel can produce so many of these GPUs that somehow supply/demand stabilizes.
As is right now by the time Ada Lovelace hits the market they will be at 120% MSRP the day they drop no question.

3070s cost more than MSRP of 3080s.....and that really hurts me, cuz I shoulda just got a 3080 at launch.
Its frikken stupid and LHR hasnt worked the way Nvidia hoped it would.
Ada Lovelace would need some super levels of LHR for basically all the most popular GPU mined coins to even put a dent in things.
Else itll be another few years till we are at a level that makes sense.
Also GPU manufacturers are likely looking at how these GPUs are still selling out and thinking...why not just increase the MSRP, people will buy them anyway.

Those nextgen consoles are looking mighty fine for gamers.
Fuck me.

I mean, pc is still better for a crapload of things compared to console, but yeah buying a sex with gamepass doesn't sound like the worse idea ever right now if you already have a ps5.

lmimmfn

So glad i got my 1080Ti back in the day, really serving me well and made me realise i dont need the latest and greatest card(which ive always had 780Ti->980Ti->1080Ti), dodged the 2 series as not enough of an upgrade for the price.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Current gen games, will run ok on a 1060/rx580 so pc market will be fine. Higher end PC gaming is really expensive at the moment though.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So glad i got my 1080Ti back in the day, really serving me well and made me realise i dont need the latest and greatest card(which ive always had 780Ti->980Ti->1080Ti), dodged the 2 series as not enough of an upgrade for the price.

A 1080Ti + Nvidia Image Scaling, you are sorted for quite a while even at 1440p...dare I say with some settings pared back even 4K.

Pretty much anyone with a 1070 or higher doesnt need to be panicking about the GPU prices just yet.
Just play on high or medium turning down those settings that eat frames for free.
And if you were one of those hyper enthusiasts who always gets the xx80+ chances are money wasnt "really" an object to begin with.
And once UE5 and other Temporal upscaling/Injection techniques are more prevalent our pascal and turing GPUs should last quite a while.

Even games that favor AMD hardware you can use Nvidia Image Scaling to upscale to a 4K resolution with a few settings dropped.
ACV.png

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It's pretty brutal out there, at least here in the US. 3060 is going for ~$750-800, 3060 Ti is ~$850-900, 3070 is going for over $1K. I've seen a few deals on pre-builts where it would make more sense to go that route as opposed to paying a scalper. It's not my preference, but I'm tempted to do it and maybe sell my old hardware afterwards.

I just want a 3060 Ti or a 3070 at this point. I signed up for the EVGA queue back in Feb/March and at the time you could add a bunch of cards, but then they had a notification that certain skus wouldn't be available. Later they made you select only 2 cards. I did the 3060 Ti and as a "fuck it" pick I also did the 3060 12GB thinking it might be available sooner. A week ago I finally got the 3060 12GB after 9 months of waiting, so that's the state of the EVGA queue. Newegg is out there giving you a chance to "win" an opportunity to buy a $1K 3070 Ti with some RAM or an overpriced monitor in a bundle, basically scalping. Bleh.

Irobot82

IF......and a big If, Ethereum 2.0 doesn't get delayed and is finally pushed out mid 2022, 9/10ths of the GPU mining market will collapse. I don't think the other shitcoins can sustain that much hashpower. That'll flood the market with used GPU's and tank demand by at least 50% if not more.

I dont see pricing an issue at all, its nothing new. More will continue to come to pc due to better performance, free online and better multiplatform games. Also backward compatibility that goes back to the 90's, every xbox game is on pc and most playstation games come to pc too.

Chastten

Banned
99% of all populair PC games can be run on pretty much any hardware config that came out in the last ten years. PC-gaming will be fine.

The Triple A market for games might or might no collapse, but it won't have anything to do with hardware prices.

Black_Stride

Wait what? i can use dlss in any game? is it complicated?

I think hes talking about Nvidia Image Scaling which is the competitor of AMD FSR.
Nvidia Image Scaling has been driver level for a long time, Nvidia just recently updated it to be "better".

Black_Stride

What is his purpose? like a sharpening tool?

Same shit as FSR.
Its a Spatial Upscaler with an Adaptive Sharpening filter applied on top.
With the GFE overlay you can even change the sharpening amount on the fly.

It still doesnt hold a candle to DLSS.
But if you need those extra frames its an option for you beyond simply lowering resolution.
nvidia-dlss-image-scaling-november-2021-necromunda-hired-gun-scaling-techniques-compared.png

Dream-Knife

Banned
Wait what? i can use dlss in any game? is it complicated?
It's not DLSS, it's Nvidia Image Scaling.

It actually works pretty well in the 77% mode.

Lol you realise every 6 months pc hardware is advancing?
Yeah and all of that advancement goes into faster frame rates and higher settings, but you're still at the mercy of the devs in regards to how the engine was written. Yes, I know about mods and stuff.

What I'm saying is... games don't look insanely better than their console counterparts even as your hardware changes every 6 months. Consoles largely dictate how the game is designed. Once the new generation starts, THEN the developers change their game engines and add the latest software tech that the hardware can finally take advantage of.

Look at the last multi-platform PC games from 2012 vs the games we got after the release of the PS4. Massive difference.

GymWolf

My vega is aging but still handles pretty much everything at 1080p just fine.
Honestly upgrading to an i9 109k, 32gb ram and an M2 ssd was a massive upgrade in itself; I would like to upgrade my gpu, but I don't really need to.

you bought sex with gamepass? she must've been desperate.
giphy.gif

I was lucky enough to nab a 2060 in November 2020, right after building a ryzen 3600 build up from a sand bridge 2011 i3. Performance through the roof.

A week later everything was gone. Out of stock. I signed up for evga step up got a 3060ti, 8 months later but at original msrp (so like $80 as it was a trade in of my $350 2060. Loving it!

I kept my two cards one in ankther box a 1060 3gb card and a 1650 super. Both I could sell and get over $600 for them together, but I kinda want to play it safe. Who knoes how long the shortage and miner fiasco will last. I'd rather have backups in case so that 1650 stays in storage.

I worry about gpu breaking as my 8800gts and ati 7870 both stopped working after a few years. Even with warranty who knows how long they get you a replacement.

Also what happens when no one can get cards. No pc games can get made. The industry ca t just sit by and do nothing.

Irobot82

Ethereum 2.0 will never happen. ETH is worth more than ever before and they would not do anything that could damage its value.
We'll see. Buterin seems determined to make it happen. POS is such a shitty system, but unless they change their algo to something that can't be mined on a GPU, they'll have to switch.

meanspartan

I bought a lower medium end cyberpower PC on black friday 2019. It was on sale for $600 with an i5 quad core and a GTX 1660. I was gonna wait to build my own PC the following year, but the low price convinced me to go for it. I am so glad I bought then.

Don't know if it's any better now, but by fall 2020 gtx 1660s were going for over $500 *used*! Almost as much as I paid for the whole PC.

Also, a 1660 is older now, but it still runs games great on 1080p60 if that's enough for you. On highest or second-highest settings. In fact I have an ultrawide display at 2560x1080, and Halo Infinite runs at a stable 60fps with High+ settings.

I have no need to upgrade for the next 2-3 years since even medoum settings are fine to me. 1660 is great, so glad I bought when I did. Little did I know what an even greater deal it was in hindsight haha.

Last edited:

TonyK

I wanted to buy a new PC with a 3080 when these cards were launched (I have a 1080ti). As it was impossible to find one I bought a PS5, and now I don't plan to return to PC. Happy with the simplicity and almost zero graphic options of consoles.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Maybe devs will have to put in work and actually care about optimizing their games on PC for once? It would be good for a change. I also wouldn't mind the GFX arms race to slow down a bit. We will be fine in 2022. But in 2023 cards like the GTX 970 and better will start to feel the heat. But if we resort to 1080p 30 FPS there shouldn't be any issues as long as cards have at least 6GB of VRAM for great looking textures.

Also how good will a true next gen game look at low settings? Honestly there are time where I set games to low settings and they still look amazing. Just make sure to play them at native res, some AA. AF16 and the highest textures you can allocate on your graphics card, and you will be good to go.

lmimmfn

A 1080Ti + Nvidia Image Scaling, you are sorted for quite a while even at 1440p...dare I say with some settings pared back even 4K.

Pretty much anyone with a 1070 or higher doesnt need to be panicking about the GPU prices just yet.
Just play on high or medium turning down those settings that eat frames for free.
And if you were one of those hyper enthusiasts who always gets the xx80+ chances are money wasnt "really" an object to begin with.
And once UE5 and other Temporal upscaling/Injection techniques are more prevalent our pascal and turing GPUs should last quite a while.

Even games that favor AMD hardware you can use Nvidia Image Scaling to upscale to a 4K resolution with a few settings dropped.
ACV.png
Im playing on a 35" ultrawide gsynch monitor and tbh ive never seen an actual need to upgrade.
Everything i want to play looks good, AAA gaming has been shit this year so im mostly playing older games.
Its not a cash problem to upgrade, i just wont spend money on nonsense.
I spent my 3080/3090 on retro gaming, bought an Amiga 1200, Amstrad CPC 6128, gotek, andspent the remainder on a logitech x95 ultimate keyboard :)

Its Nvidia's loss at the end of the day, ill never upgrade for scalper prices!!!!!

V4skunk

Banned
Yeah and all of that advancement goes into faster frame rates and higher settings, but you're still at the mercy of the devs in regards to how the engine was written. Yes, I know about mods and stuff.

What I'm saying is... games don't look insanely better than their console counterparts even as your hardware changes every 6 months. Consoles largely dictate how the game is designed. Once the new generation starts, THEN the developers change their game engines and add the latest software tech that the hardware can finally take advantage of.

Look at the last multi-platform PC games from 2012 vs the games we got after the release of the PS4. Massive difference.
And the difference in pc vs ps4 from just before ps5 launch is even bigger.

teezzy

Banned
😅 thats just fuckin stupid, gaming on a pc at 720p rather than a next gen console. Folks like you who make the pc vs console bullshit carry on. I hope your not an actual adult. Cringe.

A lot of PC player, myself included, adore the platform for its limitless hardware customization, the seemingly endless backwards compatibility support, free online play, cheap games, and ability to utilize non-gaming functions

For me, graphics, resolution, and FPS are often an afterthought

Going back to console seems so restrictive

Grechy34

I have a gaming PC but as I'm going on holidays I wanted a gaming PC I could take away with me. I ended up purchasing an Acer Nitro gaming laptop with an RTX3060 (95 watt) i7 11800, 16G of ram for 1495AU which is equivalent to 1084USD. I added an extra 16GB of ram for AU200 (USD145). It's not on the levels of my home PC but it's surprisingly really good for something that is only a travel PC. High end PC gaming though - prices are definitely now out of the average consumers reach.

HTK

Banned
I'm sure it's going to be fine, I'm ready to build whenever they are ready to have stock at MSRP.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Im serious enough about pc gaming that i would probably do some pretty drastic things to keep playing games. It's my #1 joy and interest. If that means bigger investments, I won't like it, but I will budget accordingly.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If demand goes down.. so will prices... demand is super high, hence the prices...

Not entirely sure where your logic stands here lol It's expensive because of the shortages + popularity.

teezzy

Banned
We grooving into 2022 baby :messenger_sunglasses:

Honestly seems like anything upwards of a 2070/5700XT these days will do alright for a while longer yet, so long as you're not trying to hit ultra settings on every game. May as well wait it out even tho by now it feels like it'll never end

1440p and RTX 2070 XC for me

So grateful I went with the factory overclock when I did 😅

😅 thats just fuckin stupid, gaming on a pc at 720p rather than a next gen console. Folks like you who make the pc vs console bullshit carry on. I hope your not an actual adult. Cringe.
This is the post of a person that doesn't get it. Mods alone offer enough value for that person's viewpoint to be completely legitimate.

kenny777

Neo Member
I think it will be fine, its just graphics card prices make it difficult for people who want to start. My graphics card is 2 years old, yet at some places it costs 700 or more as if it was a new one. It's getting ridiculous.

Reallink

The fact that we're nearing 1.5 years later and I haven't seen a single news story or anecdotal report about PC game, component, or peripheral sales being down suggests the pricing is being overwhelmingly supported by PC gamers and is almost assuredly the new normal going forward. There doesn't seem to be any downside to it, so there's no incentive to change it. Kids can work a couple weeks in retail or fast food and buy a 3080 with their $15-$20/hr salaries so I guess it checks out, plenty of money to go around.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons why I feel like gaming may not have too much more of a future for me.

Can't afford a new console or graphics card at these prices, if things don't go down then at some point I'm going to be done.

We grooving into 2022 baby :messenger_sunglasses:

Honestly seems like anything upwards of a 2070/5700XT these days will do alright for a while longer yet, so long as you're not trying to hit ultra settings on every game. May as well wait it out even tho by now it feels like it'll never end

lol, this is exactly me, a 2080ti is what I got and I'm very thankful to have it, especially since I wasn't originally going to upgrade until 2020.

Top Bottom