• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important are faces to you in video games?

Keihart

They are relatively important in games with a lot of cutscenes.

And digital acting is as important as faces, tsushima has nice faces but mediocre digital acting and the result is hilarious.
I have the impression that the actors themselves weren't the problem, but the whole movement of the character faces and body seemed very limited.
But yeah, GoT had some stiff ass faces, specially after playing TLoU2 a couple of weeks before were you could see things like someone eyes getting teary or when someone has a knot in their throat, etc.

GymWolf

I have the impression that the actors themselves weren't the problem, but the whole movement of the character faces and body seemed very limited.
But yeah, GoT had some stiff ass faces, specially after playing TLoU2 a couple of weeks before were you could see things like someone eyes getting teary or when someone has a knot in their throat, etc.
it's not an actor acting problem at all.
look at call of duty or some other triple A fps who hire famous actor for the digital acting and they still look worse tha ND games, do you think that famous actors act worse than ashley whothehellsheis or troy fucking baker in tlou?

50% of the work is handcrafing from talented devs after the motion capture with cameras.

Keihart

Lol, no one said anything about fapping or having perfect 10's in games, as someone who is at least a competent artist and a big fan of comics, I see what they are doing, they are intentionally making the females look less feminine and they are giving them more masculine traits. If they just scanned the actresses to look like their real life counterparts we wouldn't even have this discussion. I saw this feminism/sjw takeover in comics and it's happening in video games, history repeats itself, you can remain willfully ignorant but I think it's pretty obvious to the ones paying attention what they are doing.

Comics went from this to this and now the industry is in shambles, same thing is happening to video games, this is what happens when you take a predominantly male loved hobby and inject feminisim and sjw's into it. Have a nice day :)
enhanced-12387-1453394693-8.jpg
9ef0243f6f49ad44f2ff6b7ea6c64ad6.jpg

external-content-duckduckgo-com-2.jpg
newwarriors2020newkids-snowflake-and-safespace.jpg
New-Warriors2020newkids-Trailblazer.png
i wouldn't take comics like marvel or DC as an example of the medium, you are better of looking at more independent stuff were the creators have more freedom and you can see a lot of variety that doesn't feel shoe horned and it's not recent. Even japanese comics don't have only "beautiful" characters, Naruto isn't meant to be a bishonen and neither was Sakuragi, you have a bunch of females that follow the same idea, in Berserk neither Gatsu or Caska are looking like super models, in Dorohedoro you have Caiman and Nikado, best thicc girl in my books, and neither it's a fucking model, yet this books appeal to millions. Mind you that there are characters meant to look beautiful in this comics too, but they aren't the main characters.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Lol, no one said anything about fapping or having perfect 10's in games, as someone who is at least a competent artist and a big fan of comics, I see what they are doing, they are intentionally making the females look less feminine and they are giving them more masculine traits. If they just scanned the actresses to look like their real life counterparts we wouldn't even have this discussion. I saw this feminism/sjw takeover in comics and it's happening in video games, history repeats itself, you can remain willfully ignorant but I think it's pretty obvious to the ones paying attention what they are doing.

Comics went from this to this and now the industry is in shambles, same thing is happening to video games, this is what happens when you take a predominantly male loved hobby and inject feminisim and sjw's into it. Have a nice day :)

Thats nice.....not all comics are alike though, never been.

So women like She-Hulk have existed for some time and many of her jacked female enemies lol

screen-shot-2019-06-22-at-3.32.58-pm.jpg

"they are intentionally making the females look less feminine and they are giving them more masculine traits." Ok.....and females like that literally exist, you are simply talking about a comic based on someone that just looks different.

Thats it.... No reason to get bent out of shape over it as thats not even new, look at Bendis comics with Image. Fire, Jinx, Torso etc basically just have NORMAL looking people, no gains, no bodybuilders etc. Sorry pal but not all comics are created equal, no different then games, movies, books, shows etc.

bendis_bm_borderland.jpg

dc9eed4004ab4f92f3913dc0592bb8a9._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
To say something as silly as "Comics went from this to" while disregarding THOSE CHARACTERS STILL EXIST! lol

c6ab176b6d1d28c8f1679180bb3fd09b3aeb8de7.jpg

annnnnnnnd

2b4f25ac667e5a0aec9128cb64af4b82.jpg

So this is nothing more then a situation where you just have more artist and different comics. Comics NEVER exclusively had any type of look as we actually always had different characters in the genre to try to argue this dumb "it changed doe" attitude. It makes zero sense.

like you are getting upset that someone else can make a comic too...... ok and? You mad cause someone can make a comic? Make your own too lol

Its just not that serious to get upset over man.

Gandih42

I think faces are fairly important in games, although I can scarcely imagine a 'bad' face keeping me from a game I'm interested in. Other aspects of a game, such as gameplay, story, novelty etc. will always weigh more than character faces. As others have pointed out, I also strongly agree that facial animation is a large part of a 'good' face.

As an example, I always found the characters in Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 to be extremely expressive during cutscenes (in particular due to the eye animation). Despite Kingdom Hearts 3 having much higher fidelity models, I really felt the non-disney characters were a huge step back compared to the previous games. I've cherry picked two gifs, one from KH2 and KH3 of the same character. To me the KH2 face is significantly better, despite being much lower fidelity. Style, design, animation all make up a good face, be it attractive or ugly.

I do have to agree that a surprising amount of faces in recent AAA games look quite poor. I think ugly is irrelevant for the most part (unless a character is specifically supposed to be attractive), but like, the heroes in the Marvel Avengers game just look so boring and generic. And the Control lady also looks super weird (at least in screenshots). I'd say the same about the Jedi Fallen Order fella. Regardless, I'm looking forward to eventually playing the latter two games.

DkDjmPW.gif

NZvNZGo.gif

idrago01

Banned
Thats nice.....not all comics are alike though, never been.

So women like She-Hulk have existed for some time and many of her jacked female enemies lol

"they are intentionally making the females look less feminine and they are giving them more masculine traits." Ok.....and females like that literally exist, you are simply talking about a comic based on someone that just looks different.

Thats it.... No reason to get bent out of shape over it as thats not even new, look at Bendis comics with Image. Fire, Jinx, Torso etc basically just have NORMAL looking people, no gains, no bodybuilders etc. Sorry pal but not all comics are created equal, no different then games, movies, books, shows etc.

o ssomething as silly as "Comics went from this to" while disregarding THOSE CHARACTERS STILL EXIST! lol

annnnnnnnd

So this is nothing more then a situation where you just have more artist and different comics. Comics NEVER exclusively had any type of look as we actually always had different characters in the genre to try to argue this dumb "it changed doe" attitude. It makes zero sense.

like you are getting upset that someone else can make a comic too...... ok and? You mad cause someone can make a comic? Make your own too lol

Its just not that serious to get upset over man.
Lol ok either you are full of shiet or in denial. the comic industry is on life support and stores are closing down by the hundreds. yeah those comics still exist but are now trash especially thanks to no talent activist hacks like bendis, have you seen the latest x-men stories, do you enjoy stories where they make wolverine bisexual? or black teenage female iron man? Luke fox as batman? PC culture and feminism killed what used to be a great hobby because no one wants to buy SJW/feminist "comics" and who can blame them. Who would of thought people aren't lining up to buy this. History is repeating itself in video games, star wars, star trek, dr. who, etc.

external-content-duckduckgo-com.png

EDMIX

the comic industry is on life support

Suuuuuuuuure

All time sales records last year, but hey you MUST be right cause you are mad and thats bigger then actual facts. /s

PC culture and feminism

and? Soooooooo no one that is not that is making comics? ok pal. sure. What is stopping them? A magical force field exist to stop people from making comics or something? lol

You are simply triggered that other books exist in the industry when you legit should just MAKE YOUR OWN. NO ONE is putting a gun to your head and telling you to not make a comic or else or something. The industry clearly is still going to have people in it that are not um "sjw" that clearly will still create work. You are simply finding any dumb thing to claim is "sjw" in peoples works and automatically assume it MUST be this deep seeded "agenda". Let me guess, you saw a females jaw and yup, that MUST BE "sjw" confirmed bro. It just sounds a bit silly man. You have nothing to really back up your claims other then being emotional. If She-Hulk FIRST RELEASED in 2020, you would claim its a SJW agenda to make Hulk a female and replace Hulk all for the agendaz and PC and sjwz etc. People like you have lost touch in reality so much, you assume every creation with a female that doesn't look like a super model, must be because of sjwz and nothing more.

It was a dumb argument made by SJWs that they were some how locked out of an industry that anyone can clearly join by making a fucking comic, it doesn't make it any less of a dumb argument just cause you are now making it. You are basically a SJW for a different side bud. ie industry is taken over by _________. I'm a victim cause ________ are making product they want and like.

This is where we just have to add you to that ignore list man. smh.

Keihart

Lol ok either you are full of shiet or in denial. the comic industry is on life support and stores are closing down by the hundreds. yeah those comics still exist but are now trash especially thanks to no talent activist hacks like bendis, have you seen the latest x-men stories, do you enjoy stories where they make wolverine bisexual? or black teenage female iron man? Luke fox as batman? PC culture and feminism killed what used to be a great hobby because no one wants to buy SJW/feminist "comics" and who can blame them. Who would of thought people aren't lining up to buy this. History is repeating itself in video games, star wars, star trek, dr. who, etc.

external-content-duckduckgo-com.png
comics it's not equal to marvel/dc
There is a lot of money moving around the comic format yet, be it manga, mangwa, webcomics or independent publications.
For all i care, marvel and DC can suck a dick, i love some of the charcters like batman and spiderman but they are milked beyond their original concept again and again every couple of years without even trying to keep staff constant in a run. So you start reading a great writing/drawing team for example and end up reading a bunch of whos that have nothing to do with what you started reading.

MagnesG

Banned
Should've included (mass photo warning) OP.

Btw in my personal personal opinion, devs who are not competent enough to make realistic faces with okay-ish animations should've go for stylized direction in their games, and that relates to budget too. Faces are the first thing people would look in any close up cutscenes, I just don't understand how that can get passed off from their QA, testers, when the games are cinematic focus.

april6e

It's one of those things that I don't get why it's such a big deal with gamers.

This isn't hollywood, games can't afford to spend millions on faces at the expense of other areas of the game that are much more important. Good facial tech in games are a cherry on top, not a necessity.

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
Suuuuuuuuure

All time sales records last year, but hey you MUST be right cause you are mad and thats bigger then actual facts. /s

and? Soooooooo no one that is not that is making comics? ok pal. sure. What is stopping them? A magical force field exist to stop people from making comics or something? lol

You are simply triggered that other books exist in the industry when you legit should just MAKE YOUR OWN. NO ONE is putting a gun to your head and telling you to not make a comic or else or something. The industry clearly is still going to have people in it that are not um "sjw" that clearly will still create work. You are simply finding any dumb thing to claim is "sjw" in peoples works and automatically assume it MUST be this deep seeded "agenda". Let me guess, you saw a females jaw and yup, that MUST BE "sjw" confirmed bro. It just sounds a bit silly man. You have nothing to really back up your claims other then being emotional. If She-Hulk FIRST RELEASED in 2020, you would claim its a SJW agenda to make Hulk a female and replace Hulk all for the agendaz and PC and sjwz etc. People like you have lost touch in reality so much, you assume every creation with a female that doesn't look like a super model, must be because of sjwz and nothing more.

It was a dumb argument made by SJWs that they were some how locked out of an industry that anyone can clearly join by making a fucking comic, it doesn't make it any less of a dumb argument just cause you are now making it. You are basically a SJW for a different side bud. ie industry is taken over by _________. I'm a victim cause ________ are making product they want and like.

This is where we just have to add you to that ignore list man. smh.
Manga and anime are popular because they don't bend the knee to feminism or sjw's and that is the bulk of the sales plus YA comics or the stuff that gets sold at schools from scholastics, classic american superhero comics are in a free fall because no one likes these stories that is infested with agenda. Choose to ignore it that's fine, but anyone who falls out of line or is even slightly conservative gets black listed in comics unless you're ultra popular, but yet they still try and fail to cancel artists like j scott campbell because he draws sexy females, etc. I don't understand why you think this is some conspiracy, follow most comic artist and writers twitters they spout this garbage non-stop, follow most game developers and they worship at the alter of feminism, intersectionalism, or sjw politics. You can be willfully ignorant if you want but this is the truth and where video games are heading, which is why it's improtant for consumers to support developers you like, otherwise you'll end up getting more trash shoveled at you.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwr

idrago01

Banned
comics it's not equal to marvel/dc
There is a lot of money moving around the comic format yet, be it manga, mangwa, webcomics or independent publications.
For all i care, marvel and DC can suck a dick, i love some of the charcters like batman and spiderman but they are milked beyond their original concept again and again every couple of years without even trying to keep staff constant in a run. So you start reading a great writing/drawing team for example and end up reading a bunch of whos that have nothing to do with what you started reading.
I agree to an extent and I have actually been reading more independent comics, however wouldn't it be f'cking nice to get a nice x-men or spiderman run that isn't complete dogshiet with diversity for hire artists/writers or full of this SJW/feminist bullshiet. I guarantee you if they cut the nonsense and just went back to making art and stories for fans, disillusioned comic fans would support it in droves and marvel/dc and these comic book stores wouldn't have to go bankrupt. anyways i guess we're getting off topic.

Vaelka

I don't see the problem with the faces?

Especially not Carol's, it's just different artstyles.
I mean the whole New Warriors thing was cringe as fuck, even the target demographic of it thought it was the worst and cringiest shit ever it failed on so many levels. And I miss the old Miss Marvel her design was way better than the tired full bodysuit that 99% of superheroes wear ( I dunno about the girl with big hands, she's just a child and seems really boring to me and her powers are weird ).
I mean what is your problem with her here tho? That she has short hair?

The comic book industry still has a ton of incredible artists working in it, there's a lot of shit too but lets be real here the art in comics has always been very mixed.
This whole '' SJW's and Feminism '' thing is quite tired at this point too, yes those kinds of people exist but I also think that the opposite extreme exists too.
I do have a problem with already existing series and characters being changed into something that is totally unrecognizable but I wouldn't care at all about a new series and IP that looked like the Warriors thing. I don't see the problem at all.
And you can't really complain that people want to take away what you like but then in the next breath relentlessly try and take away what others like, that's just hypocritical.

I think that characters like Power Girl, the leotard Miss Marvel, Red Sonja, Vampirella etc should be able to co-exist with stuff like the New Warriors.
I think that New Warriors is a reboot of an already existing thing so I could understand being mad and disappointed about that but I mean more if it had been a new IP.
I also hate it when people make this out to be some kind of a super generalized thing where '' this is what men like, this is what women like '' and you're really shooting yourself in your own feet when you present it like that.
There is no such thing that appeals to men or women, they just appeal to different people and for different reasons.
There's not exactly a lack of men throwing a fit because they saw some cleavage or harass women 24/7 because they stream wearing a tank top and are well-endowed, and there's not a lack of women who like sexualized content.

But yeah, uh...
Complaining about female characters looking masculine and then giving that example of Carol is just wtf.
It's like when people complained about Skarlet in MK11 and said that she looked masculine, like wtf planet do some of you people live on?
I hated Skarlets default costume but she's very attractive.

but hey, let me guess....if this was a video game you just can't buy it cause they made the character "ugly" completely disregarding the point of the actual game, film, show etc? smh

I don't really see the problem with buying a game or watching a movie just because you find the characters attractive.
I am sure a lot of people watch movies solely for that reason too, there's a reason why shirtless scenes for no real reason with male superheroes are so common or why Ellen Degeneres have used shirtless men as stage decoration many times before.
And I wouldn't have watched the Underworld movies if they didn't have Kate Beckinsale in them, and how many of us watched the American Pie movies when we were kids because they had hot girls in them?
How many teenage girls ( and even women ) watched the Twilight movies because they wanted to see hot shirtless guys?
Heck I rewatched Van Helsing a couple of weeks ago precisely because it had Kate Beckinsale in it lol, and she's super hot in the movie.

I've tried or bought games before simply because it had hot characters in them, some of which I liked some of which I didn't.
And I don't really see the problem in not watching a movie or buying a game because the characters don't appeal to you either, some people won't do it if the characters are sexy so I don't see the problem with people doing the reverse.
It's your money.

I am far less likely to give a game a chance unless it visually stimulates me and hot characters does the trick better than anything else, and for others it might be mechs or gritty settings.

idrago01

Banned
I don't see the problem with the faces?

Especially not Carol's, it's just different artstyles.
I mean the whole New Warriors thing was cringe as fuck, even the target demographic of it thought it was the worst and cringiest shit ever it failed on so many levels. And I miss the old Miss Marvel her design was way better than the tired full bodysuit that 99% of superheroes wear ( I dunno about the girl with big hands, she's just a child and seems really boring to me and her powers are weird ).
I mean what is your problem with her here tho? That she has short hair?

The comic book industry still has a ton of incredible artists working in it, there's a lot of shit too but lets be real here the art in comics has always been very mixed.
This whole '' SJW's and Feminism '' thing is quite tired at this point too, yes those kinds of people exist but I also think that the opposite extreme exists too.
I do have a problem with already existing series and characters being changed into something that is totally unrecognizable but I wouldn't care at all about a new series and IP that looked like the Warriors thing. I don't see the problem at all.
And you can't really complain that people want to take away what you like but then in the next breath relentlessly try and take away what others like, that's just hypocritical.

I think that characters like Power Girl, the leotard Miss Marvel, Red Sonja, Vampirella etc should be able to co-exist with stuff like the New Warriors.
I think that New Warriors is a reboot of an already existing thing so I could understand being mad and disappointed about that but I mean more if it had been a new IP.
I also hate it when people make this out to be some kind of a super generalized thing where '' this is what men like, this is what women like '' and you're really shooting yourself in your own feet when you present it like that.
There is no such thing that appeals to men or women, they just appeal to different people and for different reasons.
There's not exactly a lack of men throwing a fit because they saw some cleavage or harass women 24/7 because they stream wearing a tank top and are well-endowed, and there's not a lack of women who like sexualized content.

But yeah, uh...
Complaining about female characters looking masculine and then giving that example of Carol is just wtf.
It's like when people complained about Skarlet in MK11 and said that she looked masculine, like wtf planet do some of you people live on?
I hated Skarlets default costume but she's very attractive.

I don't really see the problem with buying a game or watching a movie just because you find the characters attractive.
I am sure a lot of people watch movies solely for that reason too, there's a reason why shirtless scenes for no real reason with male superheroes are so common or why Ellen Degeneres have used shirtless men as stage decoration many times before.
And I wouldn't have watched the Underworld movies if they didn't have Kate Beckinsale in them, and how many of us watched the American Pie movies when we were kids because they had hot girls in them?
How many teenage girls ( and even women ) watched the Twilight movies because they wanted to see hot shirtless guys?
Heck I rewatched Van Helsing a couple of weeks ago precisely because it had Kate Beckinsale in it lol, and she's super hot in the movie.

I've tried or bought games before simply because it had hot characters in them, some of which I liked some of which I didn't.
And I don't really see the problem in not watching a movie or buying a game because the characters don't appeal to you either, some people won't do it if the characters are sexy so I don't see the problem with people doing the reverse.
It's your money.

I am far less likely to give a game a chance unless it visually stimulates me and hot characters does the trick better than anything else, and for others it might be mechs or gritty settings.
What opposite side exists in comics? people got fired or not renewed at marvel and DC just for voting for trump or having closet conservative tendencies. whisper networks have been irrefutably proven to exist and the goal was to get rid of "problematic" creators and replace them with their feminist friends. video games also used similar cancel culture tactics when it fit their agenda (ever heard of alex holowaka) if there was equal representation of both political views in video games or comics I would not be here arguing any of these points, I don't care if SJW's or feminists make their own IP or comics, the problem is they always fail so they have to use the platform of established characters to get their agenda into the open.

As far as carol, she's not neccessarily ugly even though i personally don't find her attractive, my problem is how they purposefully changed her IRL actress to portray her as more masculine and less feminine to fit an agenda. You can agree or disagree or not care and that's fine. do your own research on feminism and intersectionalism and see how they use it in media to cultivate a social narrative. and draw your own conclusions.

Skyr

I honestly don't care if the characters I play are not considered attractive.

I don't know what else to say. It just doesn't bother me, or diminish my enjoyment of the game in any way. 🤷‍♂️

Geez, this thread is full of female characters. Yall simps.
What happened to good old fashion straight white male videogame protagonists?

But to answer your question. Faces are important to me in cutscenes, but in gameplay, not so much.

Bankai

Yeah, The last of Us 2 is so fantastic with its facial expression and movement/animation, truly on another level. I'm now playing Uncharted Last Legacy (I finished TLOU2) and even that's harsh! It still looks great in 1440p with HDR, but the animation sucks in comparison - and that was a top-notch Naughty Dog production at the time! Shows you how far they've come and I can't wait for next-gen to take even more advantage of all their great in-house tech.

This video really shows (although it's Uncharted 4) : LINK

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
NP98g7Yl.jpg

TFDmkYml.jpg

RCUDltHl.jpg

vm391ANl.jpg

6YOTTdxl.jpg

h2puVpjl.jpg

3N6rtN1l.jpg

MigglOrl.jpg

9S7dZSTl.jpg

PSE2Xapl.jpg

rM2kBFyl.jpg

A sampling of faces in classic videogames from the Saturn era. I must admit that I'm partial to the older styles: FMV clips, digitized images, hand-drawn bitmaps, 3D polygon models. The visual designs lean towards abstraction and stylization but I often prefer that look to the hyper-realism of today's technology, which often has an Uncanny Valley effect.

And, honestly, I kinda prefer the way Lara Croft looked in the original Tomb Raiders. True, her front side could put someone's eye out, but at least she doesn't have a pouty baby face.

Top Bottom