• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How high can Gamepass go before it’s too expensive?

What is your personal limit for monthly gamepass?

Votes: 102 27.6%

Votes: 117 31.6%

Votes: 57 15.4%
  • 30+

Votes: 39 10.5%
  • N/A it’s already too expensive for me

Votes: 55 14.9%

• Total voters

aclar00

There will be other players by. The end of this gen

Undoubtedly, which i believe is why MSFT bought Betheseda and Activision....to increase their library and make the sheer amount of content so high that even if other providers have better quality they would still be competitive or perceived as a better value.

A few of the other big publishers can probably jave their own as well and so could Sony and Nintendo. MSFT just doesnt want to want to develop studios as that would take too long to provide the quantity of content (old and new) they likely want for Gamepass.

Kdad

For everyone who votes for "it's to expensive...🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I'm patient...I buy my games at 30 and under and I'm a slow player...so 3 to 4 games a year max (plus all my backlog that I replay). 10/month would be max as I wouldn't get the value out of it.
I have a library of at least 40 EGS games that I got for free and haven't played one yet...imagine if I was paying for it!

Batiman

Banned
25 is good for me but don’t tell them that lol.

Still saving me big time. I’ll buy a Nintendo/Sony game here and there on top

Chastten

Banned
During the 360 days it was my main console and back then I would've had no problem paying €20-25 a month on a subsciption, if, and only if, that would include lots of the games I like to play.

They would need a hell of a lot more Japanese support for that though. Gamepass as it stands right now just doesnt offer me enough value, even if you include the potential Activision games.

G-Bus

Banned
Haha, didn't know Netflix was $20. Holy crap.

Been subbed for a long time and I just don't pay attention.

Don't use gamepass and haven't ever really looked at it. If the library is good $20/m isn't too bad imo. Assuming new titles are frequent and all that jazz.

Beechos

Currently where things stand im comfortable paying 20 a month. Once things get rolling and according to phil they hope for one aaa game each month ill be willing to go 30+. Which now seems really realistic with all the aquisitions.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
For full time subscription? When I can no longer get it through deals. Anything past that I will only sub on the months there is a game I want to play.

edit- I wonder how many people are currently paying full price. Especially out of those that voted $25 or more.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I would prefer system where I could try a game for while and then maybe purchase it for small discount, but many platforms are adamant that you pay for subscription and then game goes away and you have to pay for it full price. So I just pay games full price and sometimes it hits and sometimes misses.

Yeah, the lack of flexibility in regards to ownership of a game is my biggest gripe with these subscription models. I thought an interesting idea would be a kind of time-based payment system for games, where you pay a small amount of money per hour of playtime, but each dollar you spent that way gets subtracted from the game’s full price.

So let’s say you want to try the newest Assassins Creed, which allows you to play for 1 dollar per hour. If you like the game and keep playing, the money you spend adds up, until you eventually have spent an amount equal to the game’s full price, at which point you’re recognized as the owner of the game, and can play from then on without paying anymore. If you stop playing before that, the amount you’ve spent until then will nonetheless remain subtracted from the game’s full price permanently, allowing you to purchase it for this reduced price at any later point if you want.

The advantage of such a system is that it would combine the big advantage of a subscription model – namely the ability to try many different games without spending too much money – with the biggest advantage of the traditional model – namely the potential for full ownership of any game you desire.

The prices would probably have to be adjusted for different kinds of games (shorter single-player games would probably offer less playtime per hour than big rpgs, for example). Though I have no idea whether something like this would be viable and (more importantly) profitable in the long run. One one hand, the ability to pay for short amounts of playtime could mean that people might spend less time and money on games they would’ve bought at full price otherwise. On the other hand, without having to commit to buying a full game immediately, they might spend time and money on games they wouldn’t have touched at all otherwise, so it might still work out.

MikeM

No decision on my end currently. Waiting to see how it plays out content wise. I don’t care for 95% of the games on there so this three year trial i’m on has to show me its worth it for what I want to play.

BigBooper

I loaded up on the gold transfer deal for three years so I haven't weighed a normal monthly subscription against it yet. I suspect if it were more than $20 a month then I would only subscribe when there were a few things built up that I wanted to play and then cancel for a while.

At $20, I feel like I'd probably stay subscribed.

.I expect the price increase - somewhere in the future - from 15 to 18 to 20. But it is at least 2-3 years from here.
I believe hard limit is 20 for the next 5-10 years. Depends on inflation.

Last edited:

mekes

I'm not currently willing to pay extra. I'm glad they are adding to their first party for as far as gamepass is concerned. But in reality those publishers don't really create games that I enjoy. I have an interest in seeing what this does to the service over the next couple of years, but there is no saying I will enjoy it. So I'm pretty weary about price increases at the moment. The value is decent at the moment.

I'd eat another $10 a month for GP as it is, and still come out on top at the end of the year. Roll something else into it that I'd be willing to pay for, and that might change.

If the price goes up a little as time goes on I'll evaluate my time spent vs my cost and go from there. If it becomes a bad deal or the content goes to shit for some reason I'll drop it as fast as I dropped Netflix when they turned into a garbage dump. Currently I'm playing way more games than the money I'm spending on the service. I used to rent cartridges as a kid for $7 for two days (in 1980's money) so $15 for a selection of hundreds of games including new ones every month still seems like an insane price to me.

Kacho

Gold Member
Do people really pay for this thing by the month ??
I do. I only want to pay for what I’ll actively use and it was only a month or two. I have a huge existing library on my Xbox already so I don’t need access to an additional 200+ games.

HF2014

They need to bank on their latest purchase. Anything over 20$ is imo too expensive. At 25$ they better start giving game aways ( and keep forever!) .

I'm mean, there's the 'for plebes' answer and then there's the answer for folks that get deals using conversion deals and shady gray market sites that get you 3x the value for a little "lookin' the other way". If it ever gets too expensive going the legit way, I'm out.

reksveks

From price increase and missed subscribers number.
The Netflix strategy is increase arpu in markets where they have low churn and high market share (us/ca) in order to decrease prices in markets where the opposite is true (India).

The fundamental issue with Netflix is that they don't have another revenue stream and don't get their gaming strategy yet unless they plan to take gamers onboard before introducing fakes with mtx/DLC.

I already cheated the system with the XBL and EA tricks, so I guess it’s already too expensive for me.
When the prepaid sub ends in 2024 it should have more big titles though so I’ll probably think the current normal price is okay by then.
Fill me in bro. How do I cheat the system?

sinnergy

16 -18 euros / dollars. For ultimate , maybe twenty a month .

Maybe tiers,

tier 1 : BC and indie
Tier 2: bc , indie , MS games
Tier 2,5 Indie and call of duty
Tier 3: all games / ultimate

Anything is possible .

Bonus tiers : Warcraft tier, blizzard tier, Bethesda tier etc etc

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The Netflix strategy is increase arpu in markets where they have low churn and high market share (us/ca) in order to decrease prices in markets where the opposite is true (India).

The fundamental issue with Netflix is that they don't have another revenue stream and don't get their gaming strategy yet unless they plan to take gamers onboard before introducing fakes with mtx/DLC.
The other problem is they seem to be eternally set in growth mode.

Thier only answer is to raise subscribers and prices.

If either of those misses they get hooped. They have no plan beyond that.

If 7.8 billion people subscribed tomorrow, how do they continue growth?

Investors need to realize this is no longer a growth stock and it needs to start paying dividends.

Only then will we see what it's really worth.

The adjustment coming 8n the next couple months (and beyond if DC stops printing money) should really show how overinflated some of these valuations have become.

(Thus wasn't why I pointed this out in this conversation though, OP said they raised prices without a flinch, and I thought it was the wrong example as there was a giant flinch)

Last edited:

Fredrik

Fill me in bro. How do I cheat the system?
You could prepay the subscription with XBLG and EAPlay cards and they got transfered to Gamepass Ultimate for about half the usual price. It’s not a monthly subscription anymore but more like an investment, if I split it up I pay roughly $5 per month for Gamepass Ultimate until mid 2024. Worth every penny for sure.

Not sure if those deals work anymore though. There is also an even cheaper way where you farm $1 Gamepass 1 month deals.
You can use Microsoft Rewards to earn extra Gamepass months too.

Caio

20 euro per month, even though it will never go so high. I pay 39 euro every 3 months, and it's perfect considering how many great games I'm playing right now. I just downloaded Hitman Trilogy, and considering Hitman III is one of the best Game on XSX, plus all contents, well, you do the math by yourself.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I don‘t think they‘ll be charging more until they have a bigger market share than Sony. Ans this is going to be a while. My guess is that for this generation MS will mainly aim to increase the subscriptions and not touch the price point in any way.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Right now I am paying 1usd/3 months.
And I still almost don't use it. so 2usd would be too much

Tams

Well considering this question is for current subscribers that option is met by not clicking on this thread.
I knew someone would make that comment (but hoped you'd have had the brains not to).

I doesn't exist in a bubble. And '0, because it doesn't appeal to me/I disagree with it' is a choice, and a valid one. OP was asking about its value to people and that is a value.

Psychostar

I'd happily pay £30 per month now. If anything Gamepass is too cheap!

If Microsoft made a deal with third party publishers and made it so every single future third party game released on Gamepass on day one, then I'd gladly pay up to £70 per month.
Talk about an unpopular opinion. You'd happily pay the price of a new triple a game each month to have access to a service that doesn't let you keep any of them when you are not paying it?

Gamepass is fucking awesome but it is desirable due to it's affordability for people in many different walks of life.

70 a month would have you afford to just flat out buy many of it's games straight up instead of using the service , as many of the games are cheap to buy due to their gradual decrease in price for having been out and discounted over time or simply not popular enough to make the purchase .

GHG

Gold Member
I subscribe on and off to try out a bunch of games and decide whether they are worth buying.

Anything above 15 and it's not even worth me doing that.

I know nothing about finance, but this seems... really bad.
Why did it happen?

Their growth potential hit a wall - the vast majority of people that could subscribe are already subscribed. They aren't making enough money as a business, hence they raised their prices to get more money from their existing customers because the outlook looks bleak from a revenue growth perspective.

This is why I just laugh when people behave like these subscription services can grow quickly with huge YoY % increases forever. It's just not realistic. There will come a point when everyone knows about it and the people that want to subscribe will have already done so.

Investors need to realize this is no longer a growth stock and it needs to start paying dividends.

And with what are they going to pay these dividends with? Debt? They don't have the cash flow to do so if they also want to continue to create/acquire content for the platform.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I'd happily pay £30 per month now. If anything Gamepass is too cheap!

If Microsoft made a deal with third party publishers and made it so every single future third party game released on Gamepass on day one, then I'd gladly pay up to £70 per month.
I thought i'd never hear 'too cheap' in regards to things you dont own

We live in the best timeline :messenger_tears_of_joy:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Talk about an unpopular opinion. You'd happily pay the price of a new triple a game each month to have access to a service that doesn't let you keep any of them when you are not paying it?

Gamepass is fucking awesome but it is desirable due to it's affordability for people in many different walks of life.

70 a month would have you afford to just flat out buy many of it's games straight up instead of using the service , as many of the games are cheap to buy due to their gradual decrease in price for having been out and discounted over time or simply not popular enough to make the purchase .

If every game from every publisher released on the service from day one, plus with the guarantee that the games will never leave the service, then yes, I'd pay £70 per month.

It’s great value for what it is, but I don’t think I’d want it any higher. Given that it doesn’t have Sony or Nintendo games which I’d have to pay for still, and I have subs for Netflix, Amazon and Disney, I don’t think I’d eat a price increase. There just aren’t enough ‘big games’ to my tastes on it (even with Zenimax and Activision) that hold my attention.

Most people are used to subscriptions being under £10 a month. I think £15 would be the upper limit and that's with a very high quality service.

Top Bottom