• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does the current Assassin's Creed compare to Ghost of Tsushima?

THEAP99

Banned
They’re all like the same for me at this point lmao blending together, Sony games I find have the more polish/fresher coat of paint at least but it’s really just the same shit tbh with more “fresher” ideas and streamlining.

To be fair, that can go a long way to be fair in making the experience better. And Sony open world games have done that. Just tightened up a typical formula but with some new ideas or strong storylines to differentiate itself enough.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
There are 3 greats of open world action-adventure games this generation that stand above all others (and from which all others derive):

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - For the weight of the consequences & a meaningful world which you can affect, and perhaps the most immersive RPG ever made
The Witcher 3 - Overall and for its best-in-class writing
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - As a package and for a lighter & more fun experience focused on combat, together with an incredible setting & just so much to do

Expecting anyone on this forum to say a Sony game isn't the best that has ever been done or ever imagined, it's just a fool's errand. In reality both HZD & GoT are lite versions of this gen's AC, but really the technical limitations of the console should disqualify them both from discussion (at least until recently for HZD). I just don't understand people who like fighting the camera and FOVs of 50 with characters taking up a 3rd of the screen. Crazy!

Sadly I don't have as much faith in Valhalla but that's okay, I'm hoping next-gen AC will be Rome & they'll go nuts.
I have not played Deliverance but the other two games have very lackluster combat and although The Witcher makes up for it in various ways, AC:O does not and was one of the worst, most boring slogs ive experienced in gaming...

For instance...

How long does it take to kill that brute?...you might as well be slashing at him all day, what an utter waste of time... the animations do not make the combat good (and are repetitive), it just feels like nothing and the camera is so far back, it feels totally detached......

Last edited:

GreyHorace

they're both pretty much wannabe pseudo-witcher 3's.

but ghost of tsushima respects the player's time and is still a grind, but not as close to being as bloated as Assassins Creed Odyssey was.

Hey man. I love The Witcher 3 but even I'll admit that Ghost of Tsushima has it beat when it comes to traversal mechanics and combat gameplay.

THEAP99

Banned
Hey man. I love The Witcher 3 but even I'll admit that Ghost of Tsushima has it beat when it comes to traversal mechanics and combat gameplay.
Ya I agree. Apparently they didn’t even have combat directors on the Witcher 3. And it shows. But for me in games I need a narrative and characters I’m interested to make hours of those combat worthwhile these days.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I have not played Deliverance but the other two games have very lackluster combat and although The Witcher makes up for it in various ways, AC:O does not and was one of the worst, most boring slogs ive experienced in gaming...

For instance...

How long does it take to kill that brute?...you might as well be slashing at him all day, what an utter waste of time... the animations do not make the combat good (and are repetitive), it just feels like nothing and the camera is so far back, it feels totally detached......

Yeech. Jigsaah Jigsaah wasn't kidding about the whole blade sponge aspect for high level enemies.

That fight is laughable and doesn't hold a candle to Ghost's quick and brutal combat. I'm so glad Sucker Punch adapted the posture mechanic that From Software did with Sekiro.

Ya I agree. Apparently they didn’t even have combat directors on the Witcher 3. And it shows. But for me in games I need a narrative and characters I’m interested to make hours of those combat worthwhile these days.

I've finished The Witcher 3 numerous times and despite knowing every twist and turn in the story it's still enough to carry me through a game with subpar game mechanics.

I guess it all depends on personal taste whether Sucker Punch efforts matched that of CDProjektRed's. But for me, I found the narrative of Ghost of Tsushima to be quite compelling and the characters pretty memorable. I'm already in my 3rd playthrough of the game.

Top Bottom