• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you manage having so many HDMI connections?

How do you manage your HDMI connections?

• Directly through TV / TV has enough HDMI ports

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • Through an HDMI switcher

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Through another device like an audio receiver

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • Other (Let us know in the thread!)

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For those of you with multiple consoles, how do you manage your HDMI connections? I've got an LG TV and it only has 3 HDMI ports. I've currently got an Nvidia Shield, Xbox Series X Xbox Series X , PlayStation 5 PlayStation 5 , and Switch Switch that all would ideally be hooked up. Temporarily I've been loading my media apps through the Xbox to try and get them all connected, by my wife doesn't like the remote and the media apps seem to crash pretty often compared with the Shield's rock-solid performance over the years.

I've tried juggling HDMI switchers in the past but their quality and reliability always seem pretty questionable. But maybe I just haven't found the right one yet.

GAF - how do you manage your multiple HDMI connections? Or is this just a first world problem personified?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
4K HDR enabled switch. All machines go through the switch and out to my 9.1 JBL receiver. Everything gets surround sound and whenever I change the hardware, the switch auto-detects and goes to that specific port.

sainraja

4K HDR enabled switch. All machines go through the switch and out to my 9.1 JBL receiver. Everything gets surround sound and whenever I change the hardware, the switch auto-detects and goes to that specific port.

Which 4K HDR enabled switch are you using?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have a 4k switcher box thing that has my PS5, XBSX and Switch plugged in. I put my TV in Port 2 by itself. My TV has enough ports for all 4 but there's something weird about Port 1. I think it's the only one that has HDR or something like that. Can't remember.

Moogle11

Banned
My receiver is old and cheap, so doesn't do 4K or HDR. I rarely use it and mostly use headphones, so I didn't care to upgrade--especially with all the HDMI 2.1 issues on current AVRs.

So now I just have my 4K capable stuff (PS5, XSX, Apple TV 4k) hooked up to the TV and then an optical out to the receiver for the audio the rare times I'm not using headphones. Receiver only does Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 anyway so I'm not losing any options by using optical out since it can't do Atmos etc. anyway. Non 4K stuff like Switch and Tivo (still have cable) go to the receiver and HDMI out to the receiver. Once Nintendo goes 4K I'll need another solution--be it a new receiver that does HDMI 2.1 features well or just an HDMI switcher that passes the 2.1 stuff through fine. Probably the latter as I just don't care about surround sound much these days to spend the money to upgrade.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I do my 4k cable box and 4k Xbox direct to the TV's HDMI ports.

But for audio I had to do an optical cable from my tv to the home theatre system.

I'm too lazy to check if it's fixed but a good year and a half ago, an OS update into my Sony tv borked the ARC port for sound. There was even people saying the same thing in Google searches. But the optical cable connection works fine.

One of these days I'll fiddle with the cords and see if the ARC port works again for sound like in 2017.

Mahavastu

I am using an AV receiver and control the inputs from there...

there are 2 major problems:

1. it is quite difficult to explain to others, how your system works. If you ever tried to explain to someone else just how to watch a simple TV show via telephone you know what I mean

2. HDMI changes very often and each time you would have to replace the receiver if you want to stay up2date, because only the latest av receivers are able to transfer the data of the latest HDMI version without data loss. You can not just buy a new TV, you have to replace everything for best quality

It is probably easier to connect everything via TV, but then you need to have the TV switched on to listen to music for example.
But here again the "you need the latest av receiver + tv" bites you: if not both are brand new and able to do eARC, you only get the audio from the pre-Bluray era, which started 14 years ago.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I use switches for common systems, i.e. Retro, and then go through a receiver. I have about twenty connected devices in all.

Kuranghi

I can't answer poll because its both, I run my 4K devices through a soundbar for maximum audio quality (uncompressed) but I also recently got an HDMI switcher because I wanted the Switch to go through it as well and I'd ran out of ports. So I can finally get 5.1 output from my Switch now, because N don't know what ARC is for some reason lol

Generally, my TV has enough ports (something like 4 or 5), but I'll also rely on a hdmi switch (nothing fancy) if I feel like hooking up more than a couple consoles at a time. Previously I had everything connecting to an old receiver that had a shit ton of ports on it.

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

My AVR has 7 input ports, 3 of these are hdmi 2.0. It still works great. i use my headphones alot too, which i connect through the controller jack (Just a quick question, if anyone knows, is the controller output audio stutter been fixed on PS5? i had this problem on ps4 and ps4pro. I can't believe how little people notice this audio stuttering when connected to the controller...)

Unfortunetely the AVR does not support hdmi 2.1 but for now I think its not worth updating, it's cool if you can use it, but I don't think it's worth the money right now to update the chain of my devices.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I guess when I made this thread I was hoping that someone would have and recommend a magic HDMI 2.1 switch that is reliable and works well

Guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing :p

Jeeves

I've got a simple little 3-way switch. Swaps when something turns on and otherwise operates via a button. Thinking of getting a second one. It's probably not HDMI 2.1 though, I don't know the difference between any HDMI versions. Reading this thread...sounds like ignorance is bliss!

dave_d

It's a mix. I had most stuff going through a 4K hdmi switch box. However when I got my XSX I found that there is pretty much no switch that supports 120hz. So I had to plug that directly into my TV to get 120hz. I guess when I get my PS5 I'll have to plug that in directly as well if I want 120hz.

FeldMonster

This has been an annoyance to me for a while. However, when the Xbox One X came out, it was quite helpful, as it eliminated the need for a separate 4K Blu Ray player. In general, my One X (and now my Series X) are great media players as well for all of the streaming services (Peacock, Hulu, etc. + Youtube) so I don't have a need for any streaming stick other than for Stadia and Luna.

I have a Samsung TV with the One Connect box. Everything connects to the box (4 inputs) and then a single cable goes from the box to the TV (single input only). I have been wondering why Samsung can't simply make a One Connect box with greater than 4 inputs.

lucius

I have Avedio Links 3 port HDMI switcher(Amazon) it does 4K HDR and I have not noticed loss of quality you have to press a button to switch, I tried a few auto switchers and didn't like them I always ran into auto switch problems or very slight loss of detail that bothered me.

4 hdmi 2.1 ports on LG C9

hdmi 1 - series x
hdmi 2 (earc) - Sonos arc
hdmi 3 - ps5
hdmi 4 - 4 port hdmi auto switcher w/ 360, ps3, wiiU and switch

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I have 4 HDMI ports. With me always having three modern systems, and packing the old ones away, and a streaming box, I never run into problems. I can’t imagine anything else I’d want to hook up.

I guess if Nintendo comes out with an N64 Classic, then I’ll be in trouble? That’s a problem I’d like to have, tho, lol.

Some connected to
Sony str-DN1080 receiver (still best/one of the best price/feature/sound quality receiver, usually costs only 399€) that have 6 ports in + 2 out I think? + Then 4-5 ports on 6 years old Sony tv.

So more than enough as I can use em all minus 1 port from TV to receiver output.

So switch + laptop + ps5 + dvd/hdd = many free

jshackles

I have 4 HDMI ports. With me always having three modern systems, and packing the old ones away, and a streaming box, I never run into problems. I can’t imagine anything else I’d want to hook up.

I guess if Nintendo comes out with an N64 Classic, then I’ll be in trouble? That’s a problem I’d like to have, tho, lol.
I think when my TV needs upgrading (probably this time next year or maybe around super bowl 2022) the number of HDMI ports will probably play a larger role in my purchase decision.

1. hub. if the quality loss is not that evident, then any hub will do
2. let one cable loose. If there are many jacks then leave plugged those that must keep plugged all or most of the time, and leave one cable loose so you can plug it and unplug it.

Public interest notice: even if hdmi and usb seem like they are similar and people may think they behave in similar ways, they don't. People relate usb with plug and play, and may think that hdmi is the same thing. Not always; if you are gonna keep plugging and unplugging hdmis you better do it while they are turned off

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Denon x3300w. Everything though there. All incoming hdmi ports are 4k 60hz but I don't have any 2.1 sources yet. It also runs my record player and a chromecast audio.

Wait until next year when new receivers should have more than 1 true 2.1 port and the bugs will be ironed out.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
My PC is connected to my monitor via displayport
My PS5 is connected to my monitor via hdmi
My ps3 is connected to my older monitor vs hdmi

HE1NZ

Banned
I have an HDMI switcher. Had one for years. It outputs from PC, 360, PS3, PS4 and Switch to TV. It's smart as fuck - default is PC, but when a console is turned on it switches to it and I don't need to press anything manually. Other consoles and Retrotink I manually switch to second HDMI input on TV.

Wizz-Art

My Onkyo TX-RZ830 manages my Xbox One X, my Chromecast Ultra HD, my stand alone Blu-ray player, my stand alone UHD player, my HD-DVD player, my Xbox 360 and the HDMI out on my Xbox One X manages my set-top box for TV. My PS3 is disconnected but I hook it up on the front HDMI in on the receiver when needed. So it's quite full and I need to figure out what I have to do when I get my hands on a Series X. I will likely keep my Xbox One X connected because it has that HDMI out connection I think the Xbox360 is going to be unhooked and the Series X is gonna take it's place.

Comfortgel

Main systems and streaming box are hooked up through the Denon AVR-X1400H to the tv's input 1, input two on the tv has an autoswitching 5-port box for classic systems (NES/SNES/PCE/PSX/RetroPi). Still have analog and HDMI 3 on the tv for emergencies I suppose.

Wife-approved for simplicity.

dano1

A Sheep
Run everything you can directly to the Tv for best performance once those are gone you can use the inputs on a newer receiver. ARC will take care of the picture and sound going back and forth.

PsyEd

Stuff that has Atmos
Q950T DA soundbar - nVidia Shield | XsX

No Atmos
TV - Ps5 | Ps3 | X360

My TV is old...so no VRR or 120HZ or DV....and I'm happy with it until it dies.

Orta

Banned
Five hdmi in ports on my Sony AV receiver. I have an auto switcher box plugged into the fifth one that has four more hdmi in sockets. The tv itself has three so I reckon I'm good for a long time.

Audio Receiver. But it's old and can't do all the Xbone and Ps4 video goodies.
I'll keep plugging 3 latest devices into the TV directly, Xbox Series X, PS5, PC, and EARC sound to reciever.
All my older consoles can go into my Receiver. Genesis, OG Xbox, 360, PS2, PS3, WiiU, Switch.
Hopefully I can boot the PS4 and Xbone out of my setup completely. Don't know how successful that will be.
I was promised years ago that consoles would all be backward compatible starting with the PS4 and Xbone generations (x86 and all that jazz) Looks like this was a total lie.

Top Bottom