• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you like your video games?

How do you like your video games?

• Feature complete eg) Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie etc.

Votes: 59 71.1%
  • Feature complete with expansions and DLC eg) Witcher 3, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, Dark Souls

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Games as a Service eg) Destiny 2, Apex Legends, Overwatch, Fortnite

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

levyjl1988

Banned
Topic.

Which video game model do you prefer?

Feature complete games, whatever is released is what you will get.

Feature complete with expansions and DLC eg) Witcher 3, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, Dark Souls, Monster Hunter World
Games that have a vanilla release but room for constant updates and additions to keep players to revisit.
Multiplayer is secondary to the core experience and even offline you can still manage without substantial lost to the core game.

Games as a Service eg) Destiny 2, Apex Legends, Overwatch, Fortnite
You own nothing. When the service goes down so does everything you put towards it.
You can show off your purchases and achievements to players.
Cheating and exploiting is null as an online service the economy is fixed so now offline save manipulation.

Which service do you prefer?

marcincz

Complete game on day 1. Without patches, dlcs, microtransactions, bugs and glitches.
Currently impossible. I miss so much PS2 era.

I have no problem with really enjoyable expansions to a game I already really enjoyed. Like Undead Nightmare for Red Dead Redemption. Or Operation Anchorage for Fallout.

Witcher 3 is example of perfect game plus perfect post release support where you got two expansions that would get 10/10 on its own from most other companies. Fallout 3 and Mass Effect saga had great expansions/DLC too, just to name a few.

So yeah, this is my choice. GaaS games are fine but there is something cheap and scummy about them usually.

I've been playing FFXIV for 7 years now, but every game outside of that are much more self contained, shorter experiences.

I guess give me 1 GaaS, and a bunch of indies with a small scattering of AAA thrown in.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Complete game on day 1. Without patches, dlcs, microtransactions, bugs and glitches.
Dude, games back then used to be quite glitchy as well. Just played Dark Cloud via Emu on the PS4 and that game still has the broken dagger glitch in it that can completely break the game... and this will never be fixed, unlike modern games which at least have game breaking bugs removed.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's mostly that games have gotten too complex and expensive, and for better of for worse, release dates are a thing but yeah, I think we all rather have our games all good from the begining

YukiOnna

I don't really like when games end with just that 1 title so I'm pretty okay with Story/Expansion DLC to them. Let's me enjoy the world longer with new content. I also play a lot of Battle Royale like Apex, so I'm pretty okay with good GaaS since it keeps me coming back. If there's a good loop and base system around it, it's a lot of fun.

It's weird though since all 3 categories has good stuff? so all of them?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't mind we get DLCs similar to Torna in Xenoblade 2, Cindered Shadows in Three Houses and The Old Hunters in Bloddborne and even hoping Monster Hunter Rise gets DLC similar to Iceborne in World.

kyussman

I like a game to have some dlc as long as it's proper expansion type content......stuff like Dying Lights The Following and The Witcher III Blood and Wine were basically whole games....if it's a game I enjoy I'm always up for playing more of it.

martino

games with content and/or adding game changing mechanic expansions
you like the game you can have them (like cut content and ideas that didn't make initial release).
you don't like it enought keep it at the base game.

Kev Kev

complete (read: not broken or in need of a patch!), no dlc, no expansions, no cosmetic bullshit or add-ons/extras. just make a solid game, let it out into the wild, and move the fuck on.

i really hate the state of the games industry at the moment, regarding this very topic. especialy the idea that shipping broken games and patching them is a-okay. DLC, expansions and add ons are close behind, they are never very good and just recycyle stuff i already did in the base game. i havent bought DLC in years. i would much rather them just focus on making the next solid game, with no broken launch and no add-ons or bullshit.

/rant

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Feature complete forever. Growing up the FPS genre was my absolute favorite. From the 90's to 2000's we had several games that came with full single player experiences AND multiplayer that provided a ton of content. Then you tacked on mods and suddenly people played the game for YEARS.

Expansion packs were cool too because back then they added enough content to make it feel like its own game. I remember when they released the Mysteries of the Sith expansion for Jedi Knight I was super pumped. It was the first expansion I bought and it had both single player and multiplayer content. It was awesome.

I honestly really miss how video games were treated then.

For years now I've felt like getting games that are FULL of content to keep you occupied for a great period of time is incredibly rare.

I mean, shit, look at all the classic FPS titles that had a campaign, the ability to do coop on the same campaign, AND competitive multiplayer!

That being said, GaaS is fine with me depending on how it's all handled and monetized. There is a thin line between the right way and the wrong way these days IMO.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I would prefer to have everything all at once but seeing the option that had Dark Souls and other games I love I had to pick that option. I don't mind DLC and expansions but I would prefer to have it all at once. It is rare that DLC is good nowadays but in the cases where it is good I prefer that.

1- Skip trailers.
2-Tune the Google search and youtube settings into your favor to eliminate spoilers and especially the ones who wanna steel your taste on games by having the first saying from their big mouth > therefore > make your choice from their saying by not giving a 2nd thought about it, "I don't care if they declare integrity cause it's clearly not their job ".
3-Stop communicating with peoples who basically calls everything is a p o s until they touched it by their hands to say it wows them cause I don't understand the logic behind their way of thinking.
4-Talk to fans from everywhere.
5-Try it for yourself, don't match your taste with someone you think he's just like you, you'll be surprised to find out there's stuff that both of you wouldn't agree with.

Last edited:

Q&A complete would be nice. I was furious at No Mercy on N64, it only got worse after freeplay mobile games. Now poor practices and shoddy design have become money making opportunities.

Expansion packs like c&c on pc or additional tracks on racing games is fine provided there is a full game to begin with.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Feature complete.

Don't really like DLC or live-service games.

Topic.

Which video game model do you prefer?

Feature complete games, whatever is released is what you will get.

Feature complete with expansions and DLC eg) Witcher 3, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, Dark Souls, Monster Hunter World
Games that have a vanilla release but room for constant updates and additions to keep players to revisit.
Multiplayer is secondary to the core experience and even offline you can still manage without substantial lost to the core game.

Games as a Service eg) Destiny 2, Apex Legends, Overwatch, Fortnite
You own nothing. When the service goes down so does everything you put towards it.
You can show off your purchases and achievements to players.
Cheating and exploiting is null as an online service the economy is fixed so now offline save manipulation.

Which service do you prefer?
Voted for complete games

That kind of games doesn't exist anymore, I always was excited to play a game, then unlock all sort of bonuses and secrets instead of those shitty trophies and nothing more

There are also some exceptions tho, I like Destiny and all the awesome stuff, free and payed, they constantly release, and I also like post game dlcs as long as is not cut content

Old Retro

I forgot what it was like to have a standalone game and not have launch day preload/patches. COD updates every 2 fucking weeks. :pie_bull:

AJUMP23

I want my game complete especially the story. If DLC comes later I don’t want to have to need it. Although with the ME series the DLC was great and added a lot of depth.
What I want to avoid is missing things because I didn’t preOrder or something similar.

Soodanim

As much as I miss the days of a finished product contained on its delivery medium, there's been some very solid DLC over the years that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Games, at least in the mainstream, are now one of two things: subscription services disguised as traditional full-priced services (buy our game! then give us more money for the rest of our game! then give us more money for more of our game!), or slot machines (play the game for 1000 hours to unlock this magic stick! or, give us more money!).

The industry is utter garbage now. A complete piece of shit. Retrogaming, indie gaming, and VR are the only refuges from the utter scamming dog shit of the AAA sector.

MayauMiao

I like my game complete, and I can tolerate some one or two DLCs (not the horse armor kind of DLCs crap).

I completely ignore anything Battle Royales or multiplayer focus games. The genre is becoming such a cookie cutter I can't tell one from the other.

Top Bottom