• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about VR? I never use mine apart from maybe once a year and I'm starting to get sick of it

How’s the attach rate of the PSVR? Big names betting on VR doesn’t mean it wont fail. Sony also bet on 3D, where is that again?
How many AAA that standalone headset has? Does it have COD? Fifa? Halo? Hmm maybe Uncharted? Eh? How many people actually see it as a feasible gaming form when all of their friends don’t give a crap about VR and only have Xbox or PS?
That standalone headset is getting an Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell AAA game, and has a Medal of Honor AAA game releasing soon. Currently you also have RE4 VR and Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners.

There is no possibly for VR to fail now (fail as in end up like a fad), given the sheer investment and overall reliance on VR in various industries.

Last edited:
That standalone headset is getting an Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell AAA game, and has a Medal of Honor AAA game releasing soon. Currently you also have RE4 VR and Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners.

There is no possibly for VR to fail now (fail as in end up like a fad), given the sheer investment and overall reliance on VR in various industries.
Once again, will these games actually be AAA or just some random shit thrown together to make a quick buck? That’s the damn question. Promises of AAA mean jack shit.
People will need to look at VR like they look at Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo. Like, I want to play that shit kind of way.

Right now I bet that sentiment barely exists.

Once again, will these games actually be AAA or just some random shit thrown together to make a quick buck? That’s the damn question. Promises of AAA mean jack shit.
People will need to look at VR like they look at Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo. Like, I want to play that shit kind of way.

Job listings show AAA for the Ubisoft games, and we know Medal of Honor and Walking Dead are 12-15 hours long.

I got my Index back in August this year and ended up having to stop using it due to my room being too small right now but planning to move to a bigger apartment soon so will get back into it.

It's a very expensive headache machine from the short amount of time using it.

CobraAB

Only use it once a year and totally sick of it.

Not the ringing endorsement that is for sure.

I like my Quest 2. Don’t game on it 8 hours of day but enjoy it nonetheless.

Romulus

Install base vs install base, VR was ahead of Xbox one generation in terms of exclusives. You're talking far less than 10 million VR install base vs 60+ million Xbox ones and I would take the PCVR and standalone exclusives any day in VR. Just Alyx alone, Xbox had nothing like that. Arguably you could compare PSVR exclusives to Xbox one and that's a measly 6 million install base. So, when looking at that tiny VR install base and exclusives, the VR library punches way above its weight.

Last edited:

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
have the Valve Index (replaced my Vive) and PSVR.

Absolutely love them. There’s nothing like it. And it improves greatly each generation. Like the early generations of smartphones. Can’t wait to see what the future holds. Half-Life Alex feels like playing a game from the distant future.

Keihart

How’s the attach rate of the PSVR? Big names betting on VR doesn’t mean it wont fail. Sony also bet on 3D, where is that again?
How many AAA that standalone headset has? Does it have COD? Fifa? Halo? Hmm maybe Uncharted? Eh? How many people actually see it as a feasible gaming form when all of their friends don’t give a crap about VR and only have Xbox or PS?

The market for VR is not that big when you think of the gaming landscape. You’re so out of touch with reality that think that what you wrote is a gotcha moment.

VR needs to grow more. Way more.
You wrote all of that and i'm the one out of touch?
Brady Bunch K GIF

Last edited:

Techies

Playing a lot less VR these days.
But I gave Resident Evil 4 and it caught me off guard of how well it works. Good vr implementation can make or break a game.

I would rate it as one of the best VR games I've played so far. Yet it feels like it should not of been the case.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I went from thinking VR was a gimmick to thinking its really good for certain experiences but I just don't see it being ideal for every type of game.

I think part of it is also the weight and comfort. Even the lighter headsets are still heavy in the end and it does put a strain on your face. Perhaps once we get to VR headsets literally being like floating goggles that magically block out light (and when they are like $100 each) they might become more widespread.

Even then, I agree that VR is not for everyone and every genre. It would be like saying every physical game has to involve a pool cue or involve a ball of some sort. It's fine to have different types of video games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom