• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about VR? I never use mine apart from maybe once a year and I'm starting to get sick of it

Shai-Tan

Banned
This was my exact experience with the PSVR. Couldn’t play it for more than 15 minutes without feeling sick.
many people get motion sickness before the brain adapts (in ~1-2 weeks of gradual regular use) and psvr games run at lowish frame rates which make it significantly worse. some games are worse than others (e.g. I rarely get sick now but a game called Maskmaker made me feel sick recently)

obviously not good for adoption but most people should get over it with exposure

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
There are many games worth playing so your one major point is simply false (other than potentially handwaving it all as crap without ever trying it or being one of those people who only ever praise AAA Uncharted-likes, similar to what fanboys/haters do for platforms like Switch, Wii or even PC). Your gifs of people being stupid and your complete misrepresentation of what the tech involves is silly, just as people wouldn't handwave flat gaming as all crap by showing random youtube videos of raging idiots falling off their gamer chairs or smashing their PC setup or whatever.

Here is a preliminary PC VR focused (plenty are on other platforms too) list of VR games I can recommend, obviously always depending on one's preferences (even excluding obvious must have shit like Beat Saber and Half-Life: Alyx). I go back to it once in a while to add new games and even trim others that are still worthwhile just to keep it relatively short, it's only to get people started really. Oh, and this is all perfectly playable on my original Rift CV1 ~5 years from its launch, you don't need to upgrade often just as you don't buy new keyboards, mice or monitors all the time.

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is an immersive sim-lite full of tense action alongside some scavenging and crafting.

Cosmodread is an expertly crafted roguelite adventure like a mix between System Shock 2 and Dreadhalls.

Vengeful Rites is an RPG with reactive melee, gesture based spell casting, exploration, puzzles & bosses galore.

Eye of the Temple is an inventive adventure that will bring out your inner Indiana Jones with its clever room scale shenanigans.

VTOL VR is a really cool light simulator of combat aircraft with amazing interactive cockpits perfectly suited for VR.

Song in the Smoke is a made for VR survival action adventure with a clear narrative attempting to immerse and amaze.

Budget Cuts is a stealth puzzle adventure series with well integrated teleportation mechanics & humour.

RC Rush is a polished racing game injecting VR zaniness to otherwise realistic remote controlled car races.

Squingle is a unique puzzle game with abstract visuals & design that's hard to describe and hard to put down.

Apex Construct is a sci fi action adventure game with archery and exploration in its post apocalyptic core.

Myst is the legendary adventure once again reimagined with all that made it special making a great transition to VR.

Vermillion is an incredibly realistic oil painting application that will bring out your inner Bob Ross.

Cubism is a wonderful puzzle game that's sure to entertain your neglected grey matter.

I Expect you to Die and its sequel will make you think and laugh with their secret agent themed escapades.

Airborn and SwarmVR are arcade shooters turning you into a flying & grapple hook swinging gun wielding hero respectively.

Eternal Starlight is a smart, intuitive, comprehensive space based Real-Time Strategy game a la Homeworld.

Battlegroup VR is another RTS where you direct your space fleet in first person from the bridge of your flagship.

Grapple Tournament is a next gen PVP arena FPS like UT/Quake with all the classic genre trappings redefined for VR.

Stormland is an open world shooter, more limited than its scope hints at first but still fun as hell.

Forewarned is a 1-4 player co-op horror game with inventive challenges set within procedurally generated Egyptian ruins.

MaskMaker is an adventure that will have you crafting and using magical masks as portals to other worlds.

The Room VR is a wonderful continuation of the famous puzzle adventure series, perfectly adapted to VR.

A Rogue Escape is another puzzle adventure with very unique themes and mechanics to check out.

VR Skater wants to make a Tony Hawk out of you, except you'll be using your hands instead of feet to perform tricks.

HoVRboard and Jet Island tried this concept first with sci fi trappings & the latter as part of an action game.

The Thrill of the Fight is a tried & true exhausting boxing simulator, if less fancy than the more gamey Creed.

Journey of the Gods is a Zelda-lite linear action adventure that's simple but polished and works really well.

Stones of Harlath is an indie RPG with many things going for it, from its retro looks to the satisfying combat.

Vertigo Remastered is a robust Half-Lifesque immersing and bizarre adventure with a spectacular sequel on the way.

Pistol Whip is a violently cool rhythm shooter, I love it like it’s a funky, musical Virtua Cop-like.

Everslaught is a fast action roguelite with melee and ranged combat, cool skills, perks and tools like a grappling hook.

Drop Dead is a fun riff on The House of the Dead, not nearly as tight as Sega's but maybe the best for VR.

Racket: Nx is a unique blend of skill, puzzle and high score fueled addictiveness that's worth checking out.

SUPERHOT VR is a puzzle action shooter with cool slow motion mechanics. Be like Neo.

Compound is a modern take on the boomer shooter genre with procedurally generated elements.

DeMagnete VR is a Portal style adventure that will challenge your brain with its magnetic force based puzzles.

Gorilla Tag is exactly what it says. It's free so you have nothing to lose, except your sense of time.

Synth Riders and OhShape are two popular rhythm games to move your hips and dance to like there's no tomorrow.

Eleven: Table Tennis is a table tennis game (duh) said to be the most sureally realistic yet, with a focus on PVP.

Moss is a third person action adventure where you lead a sword wielding mouse as if in a diorama of a fairy tale.

Lucky's Tale and Ven Adventure are, similarly to Moss, traditional third person platform action games with a VR twist.

Down the Rabbit Hole is another classic fairy tale adapted to VR, with its own twists, turns and style.

Asgard's Wrath is a lengthy made-for-VR action RPG with a Viking theme that many gamers vouch for.

Unplugged, BoomBox and Ragnarock are the new kids on the rhythm game block that everyone seems to love.

Ultrawings is a flight game, not quite a sim, maybe a bit like pilot wings in ways, with a sequel on the way.

Windlands 2 is an action adventure with grapple-hook-swinging and archery at its core, it’s also co-op capable.

Vox Machinae is a PVP focused giant mech combat game with awesome interactive cockpits.

Stride brings the premise of Mirror's Edge's parkour in VR with inventive controls and game modes.

Dash Dash World is a cartoony kart racer with no shortage of tracks and modes for solo or online play.

Demeo is a recent and already popular tabletop/pen & paper/Dungeons & Dragons type game you can play with your friends.

Ancient Dungeon is already the best VR dungeon crawler even though it's atm a free alpha, coming to proper early access soon.

Onward*, Contractors, Pavlov and other popular VR FPS games put their own twist to the military theme and style of play.

Population: One is atm the most popular VR Battle Royale FPS, it's arcadey with crosshair, simplified reloading, etc.

Waltz of the Wizard was initially a cool magical toybox but just received a huge free expansion with combat and other scenarios.

Blade & Sorcery has the best physics based melee combat but doesn’t yet have a campaign, though the recent Dungeons update helps.

Alternative takes on fantasy slashing are offered by Gorn, Swordsman, Until You Fall, Swords of Gargantua and Hellsplit: Arena.

Hard Bullet meanwhile takes the arena combat concept to modern weaponry and plays much like a physics driven F.E.A.R. game.

Lone Echo and its sequel form a must play astronaut adventure, the free PVP Echo VR/Arena and its $10 Combat DLC rock too.

Red Matter is another sci fi adventure with a different spin than the above and great object and puzzle interactions.

Gadgeteer is a physics-based VR puzzle game where you build chain reaction machines to solve fun, intricate puzzles.

Legendary Tales is a dark fantasy cooperative action RPG that's currently in a very promising early access state.

Karnage Chronicles is a very in depth dungeon crawler with co-op capabilities and precious loot for all involved.

V-Racer Hoverbike is a cool futuristic racer where you can lean to realistically control your jet moto thing.

Guardians VR mixes first person shooting with some tower defense and RTS elements to impressive effect.

Jetborne Racing is a thrilling multiplayer focused flight racing game by the developer of the great VTOL VR.

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades or H3VR is basically a gun nut's heaven with all the models you could need and more.

Pixel Ripped is a duo of games with nostalgic trips down retro gaming memory lane in special VR fashion.

Lies Beneath is a meaty and well crafted stylized horror action adventure that immerses, entertains and frightens.

Boneworks is a fully physics driven indie take on Half-Life style shenanigans that many will vouch for.

Sweet Surrender is another FPS roguelite experience with plenty of cool tricks up its stylishly cartoony sleeves.

Paradiddle is a drumming application, it's not 100% realistic but it also takes advantage of VR for things you can't normally do.

VRkshop is a workshop simulator where you can craft the furniture (and more) of your dreams in a very realistic fashion.

Tea for God, like Unseen Diplomacy, is brilliant if you have a few square metres of space to explore its non euclidean environments.

A Township Tale offers social online f2p RPGing/surviving/crafting that's sure to get more fans as it's developed further.

Space Pirate Trainer is a mainstay static wave shooter you might want but personally I've grown past such things, as well as mini game collections like Job or Vacation Simulator which is the reason you don't see many of those in the list (though I had to include various popular rhythm games at least), I prefer more in depth experiences. If you're looking for such games you may want to give them and others like Tower of Doom, Raw Data, Loco Dojo, Rags to Dishes, Cook-Out and Traffic Jams among many others a good look.

There are many more, in early access or similar. ARK-ADE is a visceral FPS with a Tronesque neon look and plenty of content to sink your teeth into, Low-Fi is a Bladerunner style sci fi game with impressive visuals, Crunch Element is a promising procedurally generated co-op romp through destructible enemy compounds, Escape from Mandrillia is a unique asymetric competitive game that seems directly inspired by Alien: Isolation, Bean Stalker is another roguelite with a substantial resource gathering and crafting component to compliment the inventive themes its name suggests, etc. Social playgrounds like Rec Room, VRChat, Bigscreen & NeosVR are also worth a look. VR even has anime visual novels like Altdeus: Beyond Chronos, its expansion Episode Yamato and Spice & Wolf and various titles of the Car Mechanic Simulator, Cooking Simulator and Thief Simulator mould that has become popular in recent times.

Then there are ports of flat games or games that optionally support VR like Skyrim VR, Pulsar: Lost Colony, Phasmophobia, No Man’s Sky, DCS, Elite Dangerous, DiRT Rally, PayDay 2, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad, Star Wars: Squadrons, Project Wingman, Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect, War Thunder, American/Euro Truck Simulator 2 (in the beta branches), The Forest and more. Some like Fallout 4 weren’t as well done so caution is necessary, though in this case mods help. Others have been converted by fans. MotherVR is a great VR mod for Alien: Isolation, with gamepad/mkb play like PSVR's Resident Evil 7 (or Subnautica), there's a superb Outer Wilds VR mod and Risk of Rain 2 VR is also great alongside Valheim VR, Quake VR, all the classic Doom engine games and Doom 3, all as good as any native VR games. Naturally, there are also great VR content mods, like ApertureVR for Alyx and Roblox's Cave Explorer 2.

Upcoming titles include Outlier, Gravitational, Frigid VR, Dyschronia, Into the Darkness, Samurai Slaughter House, Runner, System Shock 2, Buccaneers!, Wanderer, Zenith, Undead Citadel, Sushi Ben, Green Hell VR, Captain Toonhead, Firmament, N1NE: The Splintered Mind, Hyperstacks, Vertigo 2, Panther VR, Quantaar, Paradox of Hope, Hubris, Shock Troops, Stress Level Zero's Project 4 & more.

*Facebook acquired the Onward studio, we'll see if they'll properly finish it before moving on to a sequel/future Quest projects.
Here are some mostly older videos that did a good job showing some VR gameplay (e.g., Blade & Sorcery looks way better now - and just got the Dungeons update - but this is easy to follow duels). I got into VR thanks to SweViver's videos, there's no channel like it now, just influencer crap.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Love VR, although I play it in shorter bursts than I do regular gaming because I find it tiring.

My consumption of VR does depend on quality content. Lately I have been playing less because I haven't had as many games I am into but when I get something new and addicting I still play a lot. I think the experience has gotten a lot better since I got my Quest 2 as well, with its wireless connectivity and high res displays.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Resident evil 4 has pixel accurate ir pointing on Wii. IR pointing was more important than motion on Wii, and subsequently motion in VR.

That (edit) censored facebook version with the dummy helmet is just trash.
I'm sorry I fed the troll. All 480p worth of pixels. You're also forgetting that the wii pixel perfect aiming was relative to your sensor bar location and not to what you were actually pointing at like in VR. Without a crosshair or comparable effect, aiming with the wiimote was worthless. It was very impressive back in 2005.

I'm sorry I fed the troll. All 480p worth of pixels. You're also forgetting that the wii pixel perfect aiming was relative to your sensor bar location and not to what you were actually pointing at like in VR. Without a crosshair or comparable effect, aiming with the wiimote was worthless. It was very impressive back in 2005.
All 480p worth of the best damn version of re4. I can see you have no appreciation for the classics and retro gaming.

That 480p version looks glorious on my crt btw!

Also is it too hard to put the sensor bar in the right place?! :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:
I couldn’t accept the lack of graphical fidelity. It’s ridiculously cumbersome compared to trade console gaming (had the original vive). Sold that shit after a few plays.

I think it's really cool tech, but I sold my Oculus rift after owning it for a couple of months. Just didn't really get any use after the wow factor wore off

VR? Used it for some time, even developed some VR applications... overall, for gaming, I find it trash tier and a worthless pursuit. Most games can't actually be applied to VR to a point where it makes sense to use it. If in the future more types of games start to support it, maybe it will have its market, but will never beat "sitting in front of a TV" market.

So no, VR is a waste of resources for gaming imo.

Shut0wen

It's great with the right game, but with so few games worth playing for it, it ends up just sitting on the shelf. And for as expensive as it is, that's not good enough.

Its initial "wow phase" dies out after a few games.
It sucks to keep it lying around taking up space.
It sucks to clear out a wide area to use it.
It gets updated and improved constantly, so why buy an expensive one now that gets outdated in 2 years.
You end up only considering playing in VR when it's truly worth it, like Half-Life: Alyx, but you end up skipping "alright" games because frankly, it's tiresome to play in VR compared to normal gaming.

In "the far future VR will rule gaming", who the hell knows, maybe. But right now it's like buying a $500 ticket to take one ride on a cool rollercoaster.

vr-vrfail.gif

1e4ad895962c3feab09d45e85d207d47e55e7902.gif
Only ever used it at a convention almost 7 years ago, i did actually enjoy it, its incredibly immersive, only probably i had was it cant really be used for a long period of time and most of the games do look shit except for half life, personally i think it'll never take off just for the fact that you meed a big room

Altares13th

Can't wait for gen2. It's going to be amaaaaazing. According to all the rumours it's slated for 2022 (Sony, Oculus and Valve).
Quick summary of what's going to change:
- Foveated rendering! (rendering resources where you are looking)
- Much higher resolution (because of ^)
- Wireless (not all will do this).
- More comfort (6-7 years after gen1)

supernova8

Banned
I used it (Oculus Quest 2) practically every day for the first month. I was obsessed with it. Now I think I've gone more than a month without using it. Feels like the vast majority of games are just tech demos, although I haven't linked it up to my PC to play Steam games since I sold my GPU and am running on a Ryzen APU.

I never got round to playing Half Life Alyx, but I've thoroughly enjoyed playing co-op zombie mode in Pavlov.

Pretty impressed by what the Oculus Quest 2 can do on-board without any external device attached. Just goes to show how far we've come since the blurry mess that was PSVR :D

Don't get me wrong PSVR was cool but it felt like I had rubbed vaseline in my eyes.

Last edited:
VR? Used it for some time, even developed some VR applications... overall, for gaming, I find it trash tier and a worthless pursuit. Most games can't actually be applied to VR to a point where it makes sense to use it. If in the future more types of games start to support it, maybe it will have its market, but will never beat "sitting in front of a TV" market.

Most game genres have a lot to gain from VR. The idea that most games can't be applied to VR is false.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yesterday I booted up Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, I just put on my ready-to-go Reverb G2 VR headset and spent the next hour or two in a transformative VR experience feeling 10x better than without VR. It's about the same thing I feel when playing a racing game in VR (except Forza Horizon, which is basically the only racing game I can tolerate without VR these days). Also, when the Apache Longbow module for DCS is released soon I will continue the rest of my life inside that. What more is there to say?

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

I went from thinking VR was a gimmick to thinking its really good for certain experiences but I just don't see it being ideal for every type of game.

Most game genres have a lot to gain from VR. The idea that most games can't be applied to VR is false.
FPS and Racing Games. That's pretty much it.

I can't see myself using VR to play a strategy, TPS or hack and slash games. A shooter? Fuck yes. Racing game? Fuck yes.

But still, I have 0 interest in VR. Even after working with it and seeing the potential, I'm not really interested in it for gaming.

FPS and Racing Games. That's pretty much it.

I can't see myself using VR to play a strategy, TPS or hack and slash games. A shooter? Fuck yes. Racing game? Fuck yes.

But still, I have 0 interest in VR. Even after working with it and seeing the potential, I'm not really interested in it for gaming.
So you develop VR applications, but you don't know what genres VR is used for?

What happened to horror games? 1st and 3rd person Platformers? Stealth games? RPGs? MMOs and Multiplayer in general? Rhythm/Music games? Puzzle games? Adventure games? Action games?

VR heavily excels at all of these, as is proven by the multitude of compelling titles under it's belt that span these genres.

Perhaps the reason you're not interested is because you don't see it's true appeal, but rather some narrow view of what it actually is.

Last edited:
So you develop VR applications, but you don't know what genres VR is used for?

What happened to horror games? 1st and 3rd person Platformers? Stealth games? RPGs? MMOs and Multiplayer in general? Rhythm/Music games? Puzzle games? Adventure games? Action games?

VR heavily excels at all of these, as is proven by the multitude of compelling titles under it's belt that span these genres.

Perhaps the reason you're not interested is because you don't see it's true appeal, but rather some narrow view of what it actually is.
What? You want me to list every single genre that VR is suitable or not? Horror games can benefit, I agree, but anything where it's not a first person view I have zero interest in VR.

Multitude of compelling titles? How big is the VR market again? VR has a handful of titles that are worth it, the rest I've never even heard of them. It's lacking mass appeal because most people find it cool for the first 5 minutes and that's it. VR and AR is more suitable for enterprise and application development imo, gaming? Nah, I'm good.

What? You want me to list every single genre that VR is suitable or not? Horror games can benefit, I agree, but anything where it's not a first person view I have zero interest in VR.

Multitude of compelling titles? How big is the VR market again? VR has a handful of titles that are worth it, the rest I've never even heard of them. It's lacking mass appeal because most people find it cool for the first 5 minutes and that's it. VR and AR is more suitable for enterprise and application development imo, gaming? Nah, I'm good.
When you talk about what genres are suitable or not, you should list more than just a small fraction.

Have you actually tried good 3rd person / top-down VR games? Hellblade and Astro Bot for example? Have you even tried VR multiplayer games with full body avatars?

When you talk about what genres are suitable or not, you should list more than just a small fraction.

Have you actually tried good 3rd person / top-down VR games? Hellblade and Astro Bot for example? Have you even tried VR multiplayer games with full body avatars?
Nah, not interested.

It's one of the things that I'm sure I won't like it. Like I said, I worked with VR, the amount of times i had to put the headset on and off, waggle my arms and all that crap. Nah, I'm good.

It's cool you like it, more power to you. Maybe in the future if something changes.

Nah, not interested.

It's one of the things that I'm sure I won't like it. Like I said, I worked with VR, the amount of times i had to put the headset on and off, waggle my arms and all that crap. Nah, I'm good.

It's cool you like it, more power to you. Maybe in the future if something changes.
You can't tell if you'll dislike it without having tried it. I mean you're already preconceived on the idea of having to waggle your arms, but the two 3rd person games I mentioned have no waggle at all; they use a gamepad.

And if you're not interested in even trying these genres in VR, why did you say with such authority that VR is limited in the types of games it can benefit?

Wonko_C

Interesting. What do you think about Tetris Effect? A game that seemingly plays exactly the same regardless. Personally I play it 90% in VR and 10% on TV, and I feel I play much better when in VR.

Last edited:
You can't tell if you'll dislike it without having tried it. I mean you're already preconceived on the idea of having to waggle your arms, but the two 3rd person games I mentioned have no waggle at all; they use a gamepad.

And if you're not interested in even trying these genres in VR, why did you say with such authority that VR is limited in the types of games it can benefit?
You know how a opinion works right? I'm not stating facts, I'm not saying anything with authority.

And I can tell if I will dislike it if I really really don't actually want to put something on my head to play a video game. Or if I don't find VR simply a life-altering experience. Once again, I worked with VR. If I didn't, you would be right, but I did.

Everything I say on this forum is an opinion. If people are taking it as an attack on their favorite piece of technology, then it's not my fault.

Let me rephrase it: To me, VR is only worth it in FPS and Racing games. And even so, I don't find it very appealing. Better?
Interesting. What do you think about Tetris Effect? A game that seemingly plays exactly the same regardless. Personally I play it 90% in VR and 10% on TV, and I feel I play much better when in VR.
Not a Tetris fan. If you like it, then it's cool. To me, not so much.

I'm more inclined to say that VR and AR are tools for application research and development. For videogames, I'm not very inclined to use it.

You know how a opinion works right? I'm not stating facts, I'm not saying anything with authority.

And I can tell if I will dislike it if I really really don't actually want to put something on my head to play a video game. Or if I don't find VR simply a life-altering experience. Once again, I worked with VR. If I didn't, you would be right, but I did.

Everything I say on this forum is an opinion. If people are taking it as an attack on their favorite piece of technology, then it's not my fault.

Let me rephrase it: To me, VR is only worth it in FPS and Racing games. And even so, I don't find it very appealing. Better?
Yes, but it's an uninformed opinion, and you give the impression that you're informed given how you've developed for VR and have brought that up twice now.

If you dislike the physical discomfort of wearing a VR headset, then you can certainly say you will dislike the experience of playing X VR game, but you can't say you'll dislike the gameplay/game design until you try it.

Last edited:
Yes, but it's an uninformed opinion, and you give the impression that you're informed given how you've developed for VR and have brought that up twice now.

If you dislike the physical discomfort of wearing a VR headset, then you can certainly say you will dislike the experience of playing X VR game, but you can't say you'll dislike the gameplay/game design until you try it.
Uninformed opinion about VR? Sure, whatever you say.

If a game is built around VR and I find VR discomfortable and dislike it, how will I enjoy the game design/gameplay or whatever? Exactly. If the experience of using it will be bad because of what I said, once again, I know that I won't like it. Not everything in life needs to be experience to know that you won't like it.

Uninformed opinion about VR? Sure, whatever you say.

If a game is built around VR and I find VR discomfortable and dislike it, how will I enjoy the game design/gameplay or whatever? Exactly. If the experience of using it will be bad because of what I said, once again, I know that I won't like it. Not everything in life needs to be experience to know that you won't like it.
Because VR hardware will improve and get smaller/more comfortable, and that means that the proven game design benefits of VR will be more easily utilized.

My point is that you need to be clearer on whether you are talking about the hardware or the game design. You brought up VR's supposed limited use in game genres, so naturally that would be tied to game design discussion.

Last edited:
Because VR hardware will improve and get smaller/more comfortable, and that means that the proven game design benefits of VR will be more easily utilized.

My point is that you need to be clearer on whether you are talking about the hardware or the game design. You brought up VR's supposed limited use in game genres, so naturally that would be tied to game design discussion.
It's a mix. Like you said, VR still has a long way to go. Games need to improve with VR, design needs to change to accommodate this new technology and right now, for me, there's nothing that makes VR interesting.

I have a problem with the device itself and the games. Nothing interests me and, by the look of it, doesn't seem like it's going to change.

It's a mix. Like you said, VR still has a long way to go. Games need to improve with VR, design needs to change to accommodate this new technology and right now, for me, there's nothing that makes VR interesting.

I have a problem with the device itself and the games. Nothing interests me and, by the look of it, doesn't seem like it's going to change.
Considering that the next Oculus device is half the size of current headsets, it does seem like it's going to change.

Sony are also supposedly (as leaked from their developer briefing on PSVR2) focusing on bring major AAA titles to VR by way of VR support, and we know that there are several announced AAAs for Oculus too.

Last edited:
Considering that the next Oculus device is half the size of current headsets, it does seem like it's going to change.

Sony are also supposedly (as leaked from their developer briefing on PSVR2) focusing on bring major AAA titles to VR by way of VR support, and we know that there are several announced AAAs for Oculus too.
Saying they will bring AAA games to VR doesn't mean anything to me if the games are still shit. When big studios are on board with VR, then I can say that it changed.

Saying they will bring AAA games to VR doesn't mean anything to me if the games are still shit. When big studios are on board with VR, then I can say that it changed.
You say 'still shit' like there aren't any good AAA VR games? I mean maybe you're the exception to the rule, but most people consider Half-Life: Alyx, Astro Bot, Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath, and Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners to be amazing games, considering they're all highly rated (80+).

You say 'still shit' like there aren't any good AAA VR games? I mean maybe you're the exception to the rule, but most people consider Half-Life: Alyx, Astro Bot, Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath, and Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners to be amazing games, considering they're all highly rated (80+).
Man, that's great, but most people don't care about VR. If VR was so hot, many people would buy it but right now, it's an expensive piece of equipment that you need to buy on top of a mid-high end pc or a PS5.

For VR to be accepted it can't continue being expensive. And you gotta accept that lots of people simply don't want that. And VR is not for everyone. Doesn't matter if it has high rated games, it simply doesn't matter.

Me saying something is shit it's an opinion and you have to deal with it. You like it? Great! Others don't. It's fine.

Man, that's great, but most people don't care about VR. If VR was so hot, many people would buy it but right now, it's an expensive piece of equipment that you need to buy on top of a mid-high end pc or a PS5.

For VR to be accepted it can't continue being expensive. And you gotta accept that lots of people simply don't want that. And VR is not for everyone. Doesn't matter if it has high rated games, it simply doesn't matter.

Me saying something is shit it's an opinion and you have to deal with it. You like it? Great! Others don't. It's fine.
You don't need to buy it on top of another expense. Oculus Quest 2 works just by itself. At $300, it's as cheap as any console.

It might lack the PC VR library for now, but over time it will catch up.

So ultimately price is already solved. The library, admittedly, isn't.

Last edited:
I'd be totally down for it if it's got the right price and the promise of quality software. Also no wires.

I'll probably jump on it whenever Nintendo decides to do it in non-cardboard form.

JCK75

The moment I first stepped into VR my mind was blown, going into games like Skyrim modded up in VR man I just never wanted to come out of it..I feel it's the most revolutionary leap I've ever experienced in gaming.
It has a long way to go still with motion sickness issues, control issues and other immersion breaking things but man.. HL Alyx was about as close to the perfect gaming experience I've ever had..

I've not played since a year ago, this is less about me not wanting to and more about me filling up my room space with a drumset for my makeshift studio.. but I've been thinking a lot lately about how to store that so I can get back to VR.

yurinka

I tested most VR system but didn't buy any of them. I think the technology needs to mature, the catalog of great games and experiences needs to grow and its price needs to decrease. I also play on Switch, PC and sometimes in mobile, but PS is my primary gaming platform.

I look forward to the PSVR2 tech improvements and its catalog that hopefully moves more to the AAA area. If as it seems it solves many of the main PSVR1 issues had I'll buy it when priced accordingly (max 299€).

Last edited:

Romulus

I just think it's great that in the 2020s we can say things like "my mind was blown" when discussing a gaming experience. It's not a laughable statement when discussing VR. Outside of VR, having your "mind blown" is a thing of the past almost. Maybe the 360/ps3 gen upgrade was the last jump. Regular gaming has hit a barrier in terms of visuals and upgrades and we're basically playing the same games we were 15 years ago in higher resolutions. We're at the baby steps point. But, VR provides an actual chance to be blown away again. Every good VR game I play, I get that same feeling like playing the original Halo on Xbox or Doom on PC for the first time. Basically, every non-VR PC or console game I've played the last 6 years has been forgettable rehash bullshit.

Last edited:
As someone who owned a Power Glove, Laser Scope, Steel Battalion, etc. welcome to the club. VR will be great one day. There problem is always economics. Great apps require great investment. Developers don't get a return on investment because of low install base so the best don't develop for it. Install base won't grow until there are more great apps and barrier of entry is lowered.

Keihart

Yeah you are right, VR market is stagnant and not growing at all.
It's not like some of the biggest players on the market are investing on it or like there is a bunch new competion crawling on it.
It's not like VR gaming has good attach rate either right?
I wonder why nobody has made a standalone headset that costs less than a PS5 yet.

As someone who owned a Power Glove, Laser Scope, Steel Battalion, etc. welcome to the club. VR will be great one day. There problem is always economics. Great apps require great investment. Developers don't get a return on investment because of low install base so the best don't develop for it. Install base won't grow until there are more great apps and barrier of entry is lowered.
Super Scope 6*
I had all that, and Samba De Amigo maracas on Dreamcast. Had a Taiko Drumset as well, and the Donkey Konga bongos.

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah you are right, VR market is stagnant and not growing at all.
It's not like some of the biggest players on the market are investing on it or like there is a bunch new competion crawling on it.
It's not like VR gaming has good attach rate either right?
I wonder why nobody has made a standalone headset that costs less than a PS5 yet.

How’s the attach rate of the PSVR? Big names betting on VR doesn’t mean it wont fail. Sony also bet on 3D, where is that again?
How many AAA that standalone headset has? Does it have COD? Fifa? Halo? Hmm maybe Uncharted? Eh? How many people actually see it as a feasible gaming form when all of their friends don’t give a crap about VR and only have Xbox or PS?

The market for VR is not that big when you think of the gaming landscape. You’re so out of touch with reality that think that what you wrote is a gotcha moment.

VR needs to grow more. Way more.

Top Bottom