• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about ‘timers’ in video games?

Either, an overall game clock you have to pacify in order to beat the game or timed events.

Ex. Majora’s Mask (even botw for respawn), Persona, Disco Elysium, Dead Rising, Jet Set Radio….etc

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't mind. Sure, they can be implemented in a shitty way, but as a general concept I think they're fine. Pikmin was better for it.

graywolf323

I mean I don't hate hate it in games, though I'm glad they went away from it in the Atelier series

I hate things more like timed events that go off of FOMO, due to my struggles with ADHD & depression I can struggle to play anything so while I love the Hitman series I miss out on all of those 'seasonal' event BS and that really sucks that I can't just play the content I've paid for

sainraja

It depends — if it makes sense based on the events in the game, then I don't mind them, specially when it can add tension (found in the older RE games).

Last edited:

Kacho

It really depends on how it’s implemented.

It was essential to the entire experience of Majora’s Mask, and it worked because you could tell a lot of thought and care went into making it compelling. Whereas the timed main quest in OG Fallout sucked balls.

Timed trials in Mario games are great while the timed missions in the older GTA games were punishingly awful.

Generally I’d say they’re terrible. There’s a fine line between being a fun challenge and obnoxious.

apowhungo

Games like Shenmue, Stardew or Dead Rising have it in their core functionality so it makes sense, I like it. That Simpsons mobile game from awhile back, or any f2p game with time delays until the next action, can suck my dick.
fuck off GIF

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Majora's Mask and Lightning Returns were stupid fun. If it's used sparingly in a franchise typically about other things, fuck yeah. I wouldn't start a series with time as it's core mechanic, though, Probably.

All of my hate. If it's extreme I will just quit and delete.
I play games to play at my pace. I don't care how difficult your puzzle is. But if I have to pull a lever to open a door across an obstacle course before it shuts in my face. Quit and delete.
Portal gave me more than enough time, so I finished those.

Knightime_X

TRASH
Hated that shit in 8bit games.
Timers were mostly meant for arcade games.

Some games it makes perfect sense.
Others it's wildly unnecessary.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Timers are essential for making simulation type RPG games feel alive. NPCs who react to day and night cycles or group up in certain places for special event and so on. A lot of people much prefer the "ego" style RPG where every little thing in the universe is just there to wait for the player and tell the player how important they are, how much everything revolves around them and so on.

As for countdown timers in pure action games, they are just there to enforce a certain level of fast-paced action on the player. I don't love them, but they do a job. I prefer the type where you survive a wave for so long than the type where you basically just lose if you play too slowly.

Azurro

Banned
A few events? It's a nice change of pace, adds urgency to something going on. The whole game? Oh no, no, no, no, no. Never playing one of those.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Timers is in my top 3 worst gaming mechanics of all time.

However, you still need them for closing a round in a mp game, or f.ex. timers for star ratings in Forza Horizon. So I guess it depends.

Top Bottom