• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you do your "catharting"?

Tesseract

Banned
A simple example for a situation where you cannot choose how you respond. Shouldn't be so hard to do.

The thread is about "catharting". I've just said taking responsibility really helps with that. Nobody attacked your "lab experiments" or studies. They're all true. I'm purely talking about the personal attitude and that taking responsiblity paired with strong morals and principles will help you immensely in dealing with hardships. It's about living a better live and not about defying logic and science.

fight or flight or fright response

happy?

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
fight or flight or fright response

happy?

Ehm, no? Is this a serious response?

These responses occuring during specific events can be altered, influenced or completely be erased by our consciousness, exercise, repetition and many other things.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Ehm, no? Is this a serious response?

These responses can be altered by our consciousness, exercise, repetition and many other things.

yes and those many other altering things are already accounted for (and barely tilt the balance)

trial by fire is the only way to test someone's mettle

betrayal

Banned
yes and those many other altering things are already accounted for (and barely tilt the balance)

I really don't know what you're talking about or what you are referring to. But even one single person, who has conquered their fear of something, is a living example that you're wrong. And i think there are like several billion examples?

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I normally lay on the couch and listen to classical music. Liszt and Chopin really do it for me.

What's that movie in the first gif with Jake Gyllenhaal?

Pallas

Gold Member
I listen to music, I also write, but usually not on any kind of paper or digital equipment, mainly in my mind. If that makes sense.

Oh and video games and even watching something helps, like on netflix.

Like i said, you cannot control what happens to you or for you, but you can always control how you respond to it. I mean, this really would derail the whole thread, but your life is the summation of your decisions. Even to believe that you're responsible for you own life is a decision. We live within our choices. Just think about your own life. Where you are right now is the result of the choices you've made maybe even many years ago. Other choices and you probably would be living a totally different life right now. A choice is always a decision and a decision means taking responsibility.

Just because you may not be responsible for the fact that you exist doesn't mean you're not responsible for your life.

My question is what is the root of that notion. You are talking about choices/decisions/belief, but what is the ground of those things. Those are thoughts. From my perspective, it is an assumption to imagine that thoughts are under direct control. (Of course if I'm correct, you could have assumed nothing else. :p) Granted, the appearance is convincing, but that doesn't necessarily make it a fact. The question I'm posing is, are "you" creating those choices/decisions/beliefs, or are they simply happening?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Absolutely right things aren’t always great I just try to make the best of every situation as best I can wherever I can , I had a brother pass away from cancer a few years back and believe it or not and that opened my eyes as to how fleeting and fragile lives truly are. You only get one chance at this so you got to make it count because you never know when it’s your last.....corny as hell, yes but it works for me.
Loosing my brother crushed me for a long time.
Unfortunately multiple people in my life have life long slowly disabling illnesses. Plus my son has Aspergers, and even though he is a happy 8 year old who is excelling at school, it is hard not to worry about his future and where he will fit into the world. Then I worry that I am neglecting my daughter who is also smart as a whip because she is 'normal'. I guess the question becomes - what does making your life count actually mean. Is devoting time to caring for sick loved ones who will only ever slowly get worse as best making your life count? Is abandoning them to maximize your own potential making your life count?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I like meditating.

Sometimes if it's cold, taking a hot bath with instrumental music in the background.

Also, ordering japanese food.
(and eating it)

It's either one of those, depending on my mood.

pretty much, i'd probably lose it if i couldn't exercise regularly

I have never found exercise to help with stress. Doesn't matter how much or how often I do it, my anxiety stays the same.

I used to go on long walks every day after work when I was severely depressed. I did this for a long time, but it only seemed to make me feel worse.

As I understand it, I'm an outlier. For most people, exercise seems to do *something.*

DESTROYA

Unfortunately multiple people in my life have life long slowly disabling illnesses. Plus my son has Aspergers, and even though he is a happy 8 year old who is excelling at school, it is hard not to worry about his future and where he will fit into the world. Then I worry that I am neglecting my daughter who is also smart as a whip because she is 'normal'. I guess the question becomes - what does making your life count actually mean. Is devoting time to caring for sick loved ones who will only ever slowly get worse as best making your life count? Is abandoning them to maximize your own potential making your life count?
You never abandon family.Never.
They count on you as much as you count to them. Life isn’t perfect but you do the best with what you got but as long as there is love in your heart for family, friends and people close to you thats the best thing you can give to them.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
yer welcome bruh, please watch it and prisoners immediately as they are excellent films about the darkness in our hearts

Sorry for going off topic.

Jesus fucking Christ Tesseract, thank you for recommending those two movies! Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler was superb and Hugh Jackman's performance in Prisoners got pretty fucking dark. Both great movies.

kingwingin

ana9hVi.jpg

Gargus

Banned
Video games, or just being alone someplace quiet like going in the woods and walking for an hour in one direction and sitting there for a while or going in the hay loft of my grandma's barn and sitting in the hammock.

On the rare occasion I am feeling violent I'll go to the car junk yard way in the back and taking it out there.

Verdanth

Exercise, meditation and gaming.

Things that make me put problems and emotions on the side, at least until I have the time and patience to work on them.

betrayal

Banned
My question is what is the root of that notion. You are talking about choices/decisions/belief, but what is the ground of those things. Those are thoughts. From my perspective, it is an assumption to imagine that thoughts are under direct control. (Of course if I'm correct, you could have assumed nothing else. :p) Granted, the appearance is convincing, but that doesn't necessarily make it a fact. The question I'm posing is, are "you" creating those choices/decisions/beliefs, or are they simply happening?

The root of that notion is that there is simply no better way to live your life. There are no drawbacks. That doesn't necessarily mean everthing will get easier, because that is not true. Some things will even get harder, but it is worth the hassle. And just to get it out of the way. This is no spiritual crap or whatever. It's just the simple fact hat responsibility instantaneously enables you to understand, that you can change things, when you don't like them.

People like you tend to overcomplicate things like that, when in reality it is really simple.
This has nothing to do with "direct control". Choice within constraints and freedom within limits are not necessarily bad things. It doesn't matter where you live, what happend to you or what experiences you had. It doesn't matter if the society, the environments or past experiences play a major role. You just have to decide to decide and to take responsibility for everything that happens in your life based on strong morals and principle that reflect the way you want to live. Everybody in every imaginable circumstance can make that one initial decision.

The root of that notion is that there is simply no better way to live your life. There are no drawbacks. That doesn't necessarily mean everthing will get easier, because that is not true. Some things will even get harder, but it is worth the hassle. And just to get it out of the way. This is no spiritual crap or whatever. It's just the simple fact hat responsibility instantaneously enables you to understand, that you can change things, when you don't like them.

People like you tend to overcomplicate things like that, when in reality it is really simple.
This has nothing to do with "direct control". Choice within constraints and freedom within limits are not necessarily bad things. It doesn't matter where you live, what happend to you or what experiences you had. It doesn't matter if the society, the environments or past experiences play a major role. You just have to decide to decide and to take responsibility for everything that happens in your life based on strong morals and principle that reflect the way you want to live. Everybody in every imaginable circumstance can make that one initial decision.

We're talking about different things and looking at things from much different angles.

From my perspective the ideas you are representing about responsibility are simply the mind agreeing with the mind that it is a seat of autonomy. That's what the mind does, and that's not surprising. The mind is, generally speaking, incapable of seeing past itself and is unaware of its roots and limitations.

betrayal

Banned
We're talking about different things and looking at things from much different angles.

From my perspective the ideas you are representing about responsibility are simply the mind agreeing with the mind that it is a seat of autonomy. That's what the mind does, and that's not surprising. The mind is, generally speaking, incapable of seeing past itself and is unaware of its roots and limitations.

I somehow agree.

But what you're talking about is much more complex and open for discussion. I just said that taking responsibility for your own life helps a ton dealing with hardships.

I somehow agree.

But what you're talking about is much more complex and open for discussion. I just said that taking responsibility for your own life helps a ton dealing with hardships.

There are many different perspectives and angles from which experience can be viewed and interpreted, and sometimes apparently-conflicting perspectives can be simultaneously true. As I said in the initial post that prompted this exchange:

(Don't want to get too sidetracked from the main topic, but here I go, lol.)

Derailing my own thread like a crazy person, lol.

Top Bottom