• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you convince your Mom to let you play games? (or parents)

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
For reference, I just turned 41 a week ago…my Mom was the first, and only person, I’ve ever known to beat Dr. Mario.
Edit - to add, my Dad is weird and the only game I remember him playing was Top Gun for NES, and he always held the controller upside down…the OG inverted controls I suppose lol

Last edited:

K' Dash

chocolate princess carolyn GIF by BoJack Horseman

Sure you are.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My parents were a little older, so my generation is close to when gaming started. Trying to convince my parents I needed a Colecovision when I already had an Atari 2600, just wasn’t happening.

Bragr

Banned
gaming is just before his generation.
It's true, but it's also funny how much time they spent in front of the television like that somehow wasn't the same thing, and how right now most older people sit on their phones and tablets more than their kids do.

I got my grandparent's iPads, it's their favorite thing, they always struggled with the PC, pressing wrong shit and fucking it up, but the tablets are so intuitive with the touchscreens. I honestly believe smart gadgets have more value for older people than younger people.

Aenima

I never had to convince my mom. When i came back from school, i just played if i wanted. I was actually a very outdoor guy during my school years so i play more games now than when i was a kid or teenager.

ReBurn

Gold Member
My mom is 75 and lives two hours away with my sister. She doesn't make me ask permission to play games.

When I was a kid she was a badass gamer. She was a master at Super Breakout and a wizard at Arkanoid, Tetris, Columns and Tetris Attack. She spends her time these days curating her island in Animal Crossing. I think I'm going to get her Pikmin 3 for Christmas.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I know that this is a huge issue with people when it comes to gaming, especially for guys who have a mother who always complains about gaming. So how did you do it?

For me, it's simple. My mom is a very understanding person. I convince my mom to allow me to play Final Fantasy XIV for a very long time. I started when FFXIV first came out and stopped when Endwalker came out. I told her, it was cheaper for me to spend $15 a month playing games as an entertainment than to go out to eat, watch movies, spend money doing other things. If I did all those things to entertain myself, that would costs me hundreds and hundreds of dollars vs $15 for FFXIV subscription. Common Sense rules! $15 is the cheapest source of entertainment I could find.

Of course, there were times when I drove my mom mad when I played too long and played too late and she needed to get up early for work....but most times, my mom leaves me alone. As long as I kept up with my share of the chores and family obligation, she left me alone. The problem is most people started to ignore their chores and family duties, that's when all hell breaks loose.

tendies-chicken-tenders.gif
My mom is dead. I can't convince her.

I'm too old to have that problem but even when I was under 16, I still never had that happen because my mom was super lenient. I already had my own room, with a tv and snes when I was just 8 years old and would literally play however long I wanted.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I grew up in the early NES days, and it was restricted to only a half hour on school days, an hour on weekends. But I don't resent that... a kid needs to have diverse hobbies, not get sunk into one thing around the clock.

My parents informally adjusted those times to be very flexible if I was playing something more educational anyway, like chess programs on the PC, simulations like the original Sim Ciy, or even old-school flight games for some reason. So it was mostly just a rule to keep me well-rounded, and it was a good rule.

Robb

Gold Member
Was never an issue for me. As long as school went well my parent let me play as much as I wanted. I guess they were just happy I wasn’t out getting wasted.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My parents bought me a TV for my room when I was in Kindergarten. I had my SNES in my room and my Genesis downstairs. I was “happy” to go to my room. I think my parents knew video games fascinated me. They allowed me to rent games every other weekend. They bought me new games every other month.

I also got the stereotypical remarks. Everything “that looks demonic” to “you’re too old” and then they’d circle back around to “what’s a Nintendo account?”.

It was annoying. Before all of that happened my mother threatened to call Babbages and cancel my preorders. The divorce really split things apart. My dad was a good man. He bought me Code Veronica, Silent Hill 2, MGS2, and a ton of stuff. He showed his ID at Babbages a lot when I was a teenager. Sometimes he would make a remark and I’d say something like “you’re fighting to end evil, just like a Christian”. He knew I was full of it, but he bought them for me.

My parents supported it. I also dislike all the crap I got from being a fan of video games. Why are movies and other forms of media accepted over video games? Do people get too old for books or movies? Maybe the genre or the type of book or movie. I dislike how stigmatized games become in society. My dad bought me GTA and a ton of games that fascinated me. Sure it didn’t make me any money, but going to a theater didn’t either.

Pre-21 years old - Good grades in exchange for gifts and game time. As long as the leisure time didn't hinder the grades from dropping below A/B level, everything went smoothly.

Post-21 years old(post college) - Had to find a job and help pay rent and clean. Parents long term investment was done and it was time for the pay off to begin. There were no more excuses and to me that was fair.

I managed to move out by 25, not comfortably, but good enough so that I can make it on my own. I do not live in the same state as them and I'm pretty damn far, so I'm essentially on my own. I recommend not relying on them too much as a safety net, as being completely on your own can help drive you to be more responsible and drive you to do whatever it is you need to do to survive and thrive.

If you are still with your parents by 35 at the latest and they are still paying for everything you do and hold rules over you because of it, something went wrong and you need to find out what. They will not exist forever and spending the first half of your existence living comfortably will make the second half a living hell.

poodaddy

Gold Member
My wife's a gamer so not much issue there. My mother was pretty damn cool about games back in the day I must admit. We didn't have the best relationship and we didn't often get along, mostly because I was a fucking idiotic little shit in my teens, but I will always appreciate that she exposed me to games. I remember watching her speedrun Super Mario Bros and playing high level Dr Mario and thinking she was amazing lol. As a mother, she was far from perfect, but she's a pretty cool friend, and she never had issues with gaming.

I need to tell my mother how much I appreciate her putting up with my dumbass at some point. This thread kind of lets me know how lucky I was to have her in some ways. Never considered not having access to games or being raised in a way that they were restricted in a sense. Puts things into perspective.

the_master

I know that this is a huge issue with people when it comes to gaming, especially for guys who have a mother who always complains about gaming. So how did you do it?

For me, it's simple. My mom is a very understanding person. I convince my mom to allow me to play Final Fantasy XIV for a very long time. I started when FFXIV first came out and stopped when Endwalker came out. I told her, it was cheaper for me to spend $15 a month playing games as an entertainment than to go out to eat, watch movies, spend money doing other things. If I did all those things to entertain myself, that would costs me hundreds and hundreds of dollars vs $15 for FFXIV subscription. Common Sense rules! $15 is the cheapest source of entertainment I could find.

Of course, there were times when I drove my mom mad when I played too long and played too late and she needed to get up early for work....but most times, my mom leaves me alone. As long as I kept up with my share of the chores and family obligation, she left me alone. The problem is most people started to ignore their chores and family duties, that's when all hell breaks loose.

tendies-chicken-tenders.gif
That’s bad parenting for you

Soodanim

Gold Member
I wanted GTA1 when I first released on PlayStation, but there was a media scare in the UK about it. I still remember being ~9 and telling my mum I wasn't going to steal a limousine because of a game. Even back then I knew the media scare was a load of bollocks.

GymWolf

She had very little fantasy when it comes to hiding my consoles.

Also, wait a fucking moment, how old are you OP? I thought you were just the average 30 years old gaffer.

Pretty refreshing to actually have teenagers in here. [Reeeee mode off]

Last edited:

Garibaldi

I usually give her a ring and tell her I'm gonna play some games. She scolds me and tells me I'm 41 for goodness sake. Then hangs up.
She then waits about 20 mins and calls me back....for a catch-up and she wasn't busy.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its all about balance, even as a kid playing games to much gets boring, games are better if you balance it with other activities. But if you really hate school or homework, don't let your parents or the world convince you it's the best path if you have another idea on how to get money, go for it. any teenager can learn a trade in about a year or less, and is anything really lost if you don't have A year of education?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Easy, I bought her a switch with a copy of breath of the wild, forced her to try it for an hour, mission accomplished.

nush

Gold Member
My dad had a problem with me playing games back in the day. Despite the fact that I was 18, had a full time job, packing in the overtime and paid for the TV, consoles, games by myself and contributed to the household bills. But for some reason sitting in my room being no trouble and playing my SNES on a Saturday morning after I'd come home at 3AM having worked a late shift triggered him. He'd bust in and say "All you do is play those compooter games, all they do is beep beep beep" and just give me shit for ages until he got bored and left. Fucking dick.

Anyway, I ended up having a solid career in the games industry making more money than he ever did. Then he tried to retcon that as him being part of my success by saying "Best thing I ever did was move the family to that city to give you those opportunities". Fucking dick.

Top Bottom