• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do we improve A Plague Tale: Innocence in the sequel?

Who should be the main character?

• Amicia should remain the main

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Hugo should become the main

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
Plague Tale is a great breakout game but it does keep the mechanics very fairly limited so it has a huge scope with where to go in its next game. What are the areas to improve? I'd like to see some more stealth mechanics. At the moment, it's pretty much hit metal object, headshot with sling. There are some instances later on where you can destroy lights to use the rats as a fatality as well as the game progresses. With Hugo being older and Amicia being tougher hopefully we'll see a bit more action oriented stealth takedowns or options.

Bosses/mini bosses - there weren't really that many. Nicholas was probably the standout as well as the first armoured villager. The last boss fight was ok-ish

I'd like to see a more varied choice of puzzles. Yeah, the game revolved around rats but there was no need to have them in every puzzle like the castle, or using the light beams to part them. I'd like to see more general puzzles based on environment etc

The upgrades were kinda meh, the people were actually better like Lucas. I didn't like the way they were staggered with unlocks either heavily. I'd like to see more interactions and side quests with the supporting cast (who were all excellent in the first game). I'd definitely keep Amicia's VA.

reksveks

What language did you guys play this in?

I really enjoyed the game and sadly the cloud save fucked up on me so had to watch the final battle. I think there is alot of gameplay mechanics that could be improved that you hinted upon. I don't really care of stealth mechanics generally.

I want better puzzles really.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Actually just realised we see a crossbow in the trailer for the sequel:

HtNfQR.jpg

vfKbzU.jpg

J3nga

Add more freedom, what I mean add more immersive-sim features so that one area/level would have several paths e.g. go stealth ot full combat something like deus ex or Pray 2017. First game was too hand holdy for me.

Certinty

- Expand the combat a little. Not too much that it becomes a radically different game but enough that it's not repetitive which the sling became.

- A story which doesn't fall apart in the final third. Loved the first game but the story at the end really did get quite bad to say the least.

- More and harder puzzles. First game had a few puzzles which were somewhat overly basic, wouldn't mind if they expanded on them like Shadow of the Tomb Raider did with the tombs just to add another layer to the game.

- Chapters not dragging out. For the most part the chapters were of a good length but there were definitely some which went on for far longer than they should have. Hopefully they avoid that here.

The first half of the original greatly overshadowed the latter half for me, especially the ending. The final chapters felt like the script had to be finished because the team ran out of money for development.

As far as gameplay improvements, weapon diversity is critical. The sling was overused and combat became one-note by the end. Enemy variation would go a long way, but not sure what to recommend on that front.

Robb

Gold Member
I agree with your points. I'd also like to see a big improvement in animations and facial expressions. Aside from cutscenes all characters look like statues when they're speaking in the game imo, which is pretty unfortunate considering there is a lot of in-game dialouge.

I'd also like them to not control your movement speed in the sequel, I really dislike when devs force you to walk a certain speed for whatever reason. In that case they might as well controll when your 'supposed' to be running as well..

Last edited:

Esppiral

They should dub the game in to my native language(Spanish), that is the main reason I didn't buy it. Heavily story driven games should be dubbed into as many languages as possible.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Maybe make it so you can wound/bloody the enemies discreetly and that means they are more suseptible to rat attacks from set locations they pass by after that or will lead the rats away or something.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
more exploring, the first game was very linear but a really good game. stealth worked really well. also start with the powers you earn from the first game but expand upon them more

Dynasty8

Love the artstyle in this game.

I would want better combat, more difficult puzzles without hand holding, less linear experience.

Zeroing

Banned
They should dub the game in to my native language(Spanish), that is the main reason I didn't buy it. Heavily story driven games should be dubbed into as many languages as possible.
Errr. Depends. Sometimes dub in another language is done very poorly.
I always play games in their original language.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Amicia should stay the main playable character which based on the reveal trailer, she will be. As for improving the game, give me more puzzles and add actual combat which appears to be in the game as Amicia has a knife and crossbow. As long as there's no chapter that's pure hiding like with Hugo late in the first game, I will be very happy.

GHG

Gold Member
More stealth options, bigger areas.

I actually thought the Hugo sections were some of the worst parts of the first game.

bender

What time is it?
A Plague Tale was such a nice surprise but the simple mechanics wore a little thing by the end of game. I wish they'd lean more into the rat hordes and less into human stealth/combat.

Aion002

I would like the game to have two campaigns.

One with Amicia being more stealthy/survival gameplay and having to deal with many puzzles, while the other side with Hugo, being over powered and destroying enemies with the rats and stuff.

Anyway, day one!

Last edited:
Top Bottom