• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do Gaffers envision a PERFECT Nintendo Online Service?

I'm really curious what you all dream of when you envision a PERFECT Nintendo Online Experience.

I want you to go all out.

What features, services, games mode do you all think of, and the cost of it.

AND if you are some who feel it's already good or feel that we should be content with what we have from Nintendo, i challenge you in saying what would make the current Nintendo Switch Online better.

UPDATE:
- allow to purchase SNES, GBA, N64 individually, not behind a subscription
- Online Free (subsidized)

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ideally, it would be free. Xbox has free cloud saves for everyone (even non-subscribers) and that's essentially the biggest part of what you get for the Nintendo Online service.

NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis games should either be paid for individually or they should offer a Game Pass-like subscription service that lets you play them all. And the selection of games should be VASTLY improved - basically everything that was on the old Wii / Wii U virtual console, 3DS virtual console, etc. should be available to buy individually or as part of that subscription.

If they bundled that subscription with a couple of free games every month (like PS+ or Xbox Live Gold) then it'd be well worth $10 a month.

Jeeves

No cost, better/non-p2p servers, party chat etc.

Basically just the online service from Xbox 360 (that's the last online service I really have firsthand experience with) at no cost. Separately they can bring back VC or do retro games + stuff like Tetris 99 for a small ($5-10) subscription fee.

Ideally, it would be free. Xbox has free cloud saves for everyone (even non-subscribers) and that's essentially the biggest part of what you get for the Nintendo Online service.

NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis games should either be paid for individually or they should offer a Game Pass-like subscription service that lets you play them all. And the selection of games should be VASTLY improved - basically everything that was on the old Wii / Wii U virtual console, 3DS virtual console, etc. should be available to buy individually or as part of that subscription.

If they bundled that subscription with a couple of free games every month (like PS+ or Xbox Live Gold) then it'd be well worth $10 a month.

No cost, better/non-p2p servers, party chat etc.

Basically just the online service from Xbox 360 (that's the last online service I really have firsthand experience with) at no cost. Separately they can bring back VC or do retro games + stuff like Tetris 99 for a small ($5-10) subscription fee.
So to clarity, yall want Nintendo to give us free online, a service that no other console maker is doing today? Correct?

Just like they were last gen, yeah. You essentially said to do a perfect world scenario. In a perfect world, paid online would have never caught on in the first place.
Perfect world scenario, yes, but realistic (since anything non PC gaming "for free" would be a Dream world scenario) as to everything today requires a subscription or requires its consumers to pay for a value.

But lets says they it was free, realistically it would be very limited.
but let's say they had a Premium service

For you, what would A Premium Nintendo Online Service need for you to then purchase it and for how much?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So to clarity, yall want Nintendo to give us free online, a service that no other console maker is doing today? Correct?
I couldn't give two shits about online multiplayer. I don't use it. I only pay for Nintendo Online now for the cloud saves and the emulators. If they offered cloud saves for free (like other consoles / PC does) then I sure as hell wouldn't pay for online multiplayer unless they sweetened the pot considerably.

Jeeves

Perfect world scenario, yes, but realistic (since anything non PC gaming "for free" would be a Dream world scenario) as to everything today requires a subscription or requires its consumers to pay for a value.

But lets says they it was free, realistically it would be very limited.
but let's say they had a Premium service

For you, what would A Premium Nintendo Online Service need for you to then purchase it and for how much?
Well, I do think their current $20 is fine for the world we live in. Honestly if they offered a premium service alongside a free one though I don't know what they would have to do for me to subscribe, short of badly hobbling the free service. I personally probably would still opt to use discord instead of party chat. Playing retro games online is a fun novelty that I use sometimes (currently co-oping through DKC with an old college buddy) but I don't know if I'd pay just for that.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
My account carries over games I bought to new systems. That's actually all I would require to continue spending and supporting it. But you know, I'm just not interested in buying what I own multiple times. That may not be a line for you, but it is for me.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Removal of games and subsequent release of them as virtual console.
Carrying over previously purchased VC titles from Wii, WiiU and 3Ds.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
$20 per year to play Mario Kart and NES Mario Bros and Clu Clu Land online with friends is all I need. So it's perfect for me as is.

Zannegan

My ideal Nintendo online?
  • The return of a la carte retro game purchases (virtual console) alongside the subscription model they're running now.
  • Forward compatible purchases where possible and especially for retro/VC games.
  • Decent performance in all online games, not just Splatoon and Mario Kart.
  • Central voice chat/messaging with groups and lobbies, and the ability to launch straight into a game if everyone has it.
  • And (ideally) free online play, with the retro games library, personal servers, and other perks being kept behind the subscription wall.
EDIT: I really like some of the things they already do, like family plans and the pricing of their base sub. Ironing out the basic features of the service is a must though.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
£17.99 a month for NES, SNES, GB, GB Colour and GBA library. Online handle, messaging service, parties and plug in for voice chat as standard. Separate VC where we can buy the old games if we want to.

Jennings

$20 a year and high quality multiplayer performance. That's all I want. MP through Nintendo Online is a god awful janky mess.

Last edited:

Skifi28

In an ideal world, a perfect Nintendo online service is on PC and Nintendo has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
just what they're doing now. Excep, instead of trickling out 2 games every couple months like they've been doing since the Wii u days.

actually have like a 1000 games like the Wii Virtual Console.

jigglet

Banned
Mix all the great features of Wii U and Wii.

Just blatantly copy MS or Sony for the rest.

Let me buy VC games separately.

kingfey

Banned
Xbox live.

Switch has games at the level of Halo 1&2 MP online.

If they can make their online like xbox live, it will be great.

Top Bottom