• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you like the Halo Infinite E3 2021 reveal?

Did you like the Halo Infinite E3 presentation?

• I liked it

Votes: 247 50.7%
  • I did not like it

Votes: 240 49.3%

• Total voters

Cutty Flam

Banned
It looked okay. My first impression is that they focused on the gameplay and almost looked to be intentionally hiding the maps. One looked kind of promising. Valhalla is looking good. I wanted to see more of the maps and wasn’t much impressed at all with what they had to show (or decided to show)

I’ll wait until release date, they’re trying to build the game and show enough to make people happy and at the same time not disappoint them like last time. So the only true way to know what this game is about will be to play it. But the trailer for multiplayer, it was alright

Batiman

Banned
Why can’t we see who voted what? Loved what they showed but my only concern would be the look of the maps. I hope they have better aesthetic than halo 5. The Valhalla and open world areas look great though. The Spartan customization looks awesome too.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Setting Up Lady Gaga GIF by Apple Music

Dr Bass

Like I said, Millions of people. I feel like people like you are desensitized to the word millions. We're not talking about the amount of people you invite to your birthday party. We're talking about a city's worth of people. Take New York for example.
Yep. It’s true millions will play it. Because it’s Halo. Just like I bought Halo 4. Just like tens of millions if not more went to see The Rise of Skywalker. Myself included.

But both series are not growing. They are not creating new fans. They are living on past reputation and have squandered the original good will they engendered. I.e., they are dead.

Maybe Infinite turns it around but I would bet good money it doesn’t review that well. Blame 343i but don’t shoot the messenger.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The MP looks fun, but I wanted a SP gameplay trailer since it's been almost a year since the last demo. I need some fresh footage.

mitchman

Gold Member
Trees was still static and didn't move in the wind even though the smoke did in the small sequence where they fly into an area. Generally, it still looks like a previous generation game, but I guess that 120 fps hype will save it.

Looking better than last year. Compared to games like Warzone or Apex Legends dynamic lighting seems to be the big tech step.

As far as the gameplay part, what gameplay? I didn't see shit for campaign e.g. nothing new or bombastic or mysterious. Where is any PvE content or seasonal coop stuff? Why not a blowout of everything multiplayer.

Basically they're behind still, they wanted to play defense instead of offense and let all the other games show. Halo is in the backseat of the warthog. Hopefully they get to releasing way more information in the next week.

Some cool things like the action, weapons, simplified gameplay and sweets classic Halo feel map. These however are quality of life things I expect, where is the wow with this game? Where is coop, where is forge, where is modding etc.

Last edited:

truth777

Banned
As someone who hasn’t played 4/5 and loved 1-3 and Reach for various reasons, the last thing I want to see is another cinematic in a situation like this. I want to see single player gameplay, because that’s all that matters six months after release; when all cut scenes are perma-skipped.

93xfan

Banned
I do trust Joseph Staten. Don’t think he would’ve joined up if he thought the campaign wasn’t going to be at least good.

Gameplay always looked good. I’d rather they now just focus on improving it visually up until the last minute rather than allocating resources to making a gameplay demo that will be harshly scrutinized between now and release.

Wish they announced a multiplayer beta, btw

Last edited:

LordCBH

I don’t buy that 2021 launch date at all. No actual campaign footage, the multiplayer looked…eh? Fine I guess?
They can date Starfield over a year ahead of release but they can’t give an actual date for their most iconic franchise this close to it’s supposed release? I just don’t buy the 2021 tag.

People on this forum, all over the internet all I am seeing is positive reactions.

Real fans who wanted this game to succeed and actually wanted to play it are positive. The only complaint anywhere is they want to see some badass campaign footage because the teasing is brutal by now. Everybody who was anticipating this is super excited after today.

But, getting demos ready for events does take away time from the team's schedule, so I rather they just focus on the game and then show us campaign when it won't end up affecting their schedule.

Last edited:
Looking better than last year. Compared to games like Warzone or Apex Legends dynamic lighting seems to be the big tech step.

As far as the gameplay part, what gameplay? I didn't see shit for campaign e.g. nothing new or bombastic or mysterious. Where is any PvE content or seasonal coop stuff? Why not a blowout of everything multiplayer.

Basically they're behind still, they wanted to play defense instead of offense and let all the other games show. Halo is in the backseat of the warthog. Hopefully they get to releasing way more information in the next week.

Some cool things like the action, weapons, simplified gameplay and sweets classic Halo feel map. These however are quality of life things I expect, where is the wow with this game? Where is coop, where is forge, where is modding etc.

Looks like this pre-planned multi-player event is perfect for you then..

mortal

Gold Member
I wanted to see more of the campaign and how 343 have improved upon it, although the multiplayer looked really fun and high octane. I love the grappling hook and the physics added to drops.

Last edited:

the_master

Real fans who wanted this game to succeed and actually wanted to play it are positive. The only complaint anywhere is they want to see some badass campaign footage because the teasing is brutal by now. Everybody who was anticipating this is super excited after today.

But, getting demos ready for events does take away time from the team's schedule, so I rather they just focus on the game and then show us campaign when it won't end up affecting their schedule.
Please, do not speak in the name of real fans.
I am a real, hardcore fan, not a fanatic, I want the game to be awesome, I will play it day one, hardstyle. I still hope the campaign will be good.

I can't help but to be disappointed. That is the truth. They should have showed in game campaign gameplay, not an in engine cinematic and multiplayer cuts.

They should have done what Forza Horizon did

Ozzie666

They were very clever and strategic in how and what they presented. They presented it all in a much better way than last year. They were very selective and it was almost with trepidation. They got their message across and fans seem to be pretty positive with what they saw. I'm just concerned that I'm not sure exactly what I saw. Graphically it's improved from when we last saw it. Still a lot of potential and promise. I know it was multiplayer focused, but did we see a single 'Craig' or enemy in the entire game?. I was curious to see if the lifeless animation had been improved. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the game when it comes out and hope it hits a sweet spot between performance and play-ability.

There wasn't really thing there for me as these days I only really like Halo for the single player game.
I know they showed some in engine single player stuff but that doesn't really show a great deal when you're trying to work out how the gameplay has changed since the mess they made of the announcement. It is a slight concern that they had so little to show this close to launch but I'm willing to wait and hopefully we'll get some footage of somebody just playing through a level soon.

Yep. It’s true millions will play it. Because it’s Halo. Just like I bought Halo 4. Just like tens of millions if not more went to see The Rise of Skywalker. Myself included.

But both series are not growing. They are not creating new fans. They are living on past reputation and have squandered the original good will they engendered. I.e., they are dead.

Maybe Infinite turns it around but I would bet good money it doesn’t review that well. Blame 343i but don’t shoot the messenger.
Do you have facts to back these claims or are these simply assumptions? You can’t tell me that for 20 years, it’s the same people buying these games let alone for the same 50 years it’s the same group of people going to see Star Wars.

Last edited:
All I got to say is yikes. 4-5 months til launch, on a game delayed for 7 months now, yet we only see in-engine cutscenes for the campaign? How do they not have at a few levels ready to show gameplay at this point? Are they even working to improve the levels or are they just remaking the cutscenes in-engine (pretty sure they were in-game last time) so they look better in ads? And finally, how is Xbox so poorly mismanaged? Their only franchise that seems to constantly be on top of things is Forza. Yeesh.

I liked it. It was what I expected. I expected them to detail/unveil the MP to be honest since they never got the chance to do so after the showing was roasted last year. I honestly feel like if the "Campaign" unveil from last year went well we would have gotten this footage or a version of it alot earlier so It did feel like they're playing catch up a little bit.

That said I thought the multiplayer looked really good and I plan on giving it a shot. I fell back from playing most multiplayer games over the last couple years with all these "Battle Royale" games and GaaS games(Not a fan of either style) but I miss some good old death match so i'm pretty hyped.

I also think it's dope they plan on having an open week and showing stuff off for the next 4 or 5 days. I hope we get to see some raw matches of it running on Series X this week

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
If I'm grading it....i give a C- at best.

The multiplayer looked awesome. I give that portion an A.

The campaign "segment" they showed actually showed nothing. A likely cinematic scene of Chief floating through debris in space...a few shots of scenery. Thats it. No gameplay. No discussion of the work that went in since last poor showing.

More concerning for me was no freaking release date! They keep say its coming this year, but if u don't know that date and its coming in the next 4-5 months, its a concern. Next...everyone kept saying it'll release on the XBox 20th anniversary date...but Forza Horizon 5 date was announced...and its like 4 days away from that (which is also smack dab in the middle of "holiday release" window). So its likely after FH5, not before - or they woulda given a date. You don't wanna jam uo 2 big release too close to each other. Lastly, no discussion of a beta? WTF...at this point, its gonna be a bullshit marketing beta, not something they can constructively use to correct issues.

Frankly, the more im writing, the lower the grade is dropping.

I actually liked the XBox show. I thought it was consistently positive and actually gave somewhat of a road map. There were a few low points...Halo was actually one (aside from mp sizzle...which does look sick).

I'm actually pumped for Halo Infinite, but man, 343 has to get their shit together.

Interfectum

How fucked up is Halo: Infinite that they can't even give a solid release date 7+ months after its initial planned release? How much shit did they have to fix?

NahaNago

Terribly ,simply okay. The multiplayer looked alright and the trailer campaign looked alright. It should have been amazing though. Why they didn't show more campaign gameplay this time around is just baffling to me. That was suppose to be your response to craig.

Its far from the level that I expect from 1st party for their biggest IP.
The show/trailer is full of Jank again.
People defending this have just inhaled a big dose of copium.

This thread was right,
Did not impress.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I was never worried about the MP but what they showed looks great and I have to believe with it being free to play, it will have a massive population on consoles and PC.

Still no clue about the campaign. I want to hope that it will be good but the truth of the matter is that 343i has yet to make a good or memorable campaign. Like I literally can't tell you what happened in 4 or 5 other than Cortana has gone loopy.

yazenov

Its far from the level that I expect from 1st party for their biggest IP.
The show/trailer is full of Jank again.
People defending this have just inhaled a big dose of copium.

This thread was right,
Did not impress.

But its free on Game Pass is the excuse for mideocrity.

I mean, people are saying that Game pass is the star of the show. Game pass is the game of the year also :messenger_grinning_sweat:

JoeBudden

Graphics didn't look impressive but I'm sure the game will still be amazing. F2P news is brazy too.

Last edited:

Garani

Assassins-Creed-Valhalla-Screen-1-scaled.jpg

It fairs well.

Against industry standards it's right up there with the best I've seen. Many of the same tricks and techniques are present. Volumetric smoke, lighting, high quality depth of field, lens flare, evidence of motion blur when that ship flew past. Halo has its own unique art style, always has.

In motion everything below looks like an amazing piece of art work, it looks incredible. And then when you bring up industry standard people do so acting as if every game out there is boasting this kind of scale and freedom while bringing the kind of gameplay sandbox that Halo does. There continues to be no other game that plays the way Halo does. This level of scale and draw distance in a Halo title is new. Those places out into the distance are places you can go. The size of that Banished stronghold is massive in its scale, but it is made to seem so much smaller in the greater context of the size of Zeta Halo in Halo Infinite.

If it all looks this amazing and detailed at distance, this far up in the sky, it almost certainly looks amazing at gameplay camera angles.

bJj1m5f.png

GdFv9gP.png

I've seen people mention trees as if they're not familiar with LODs when they see them.

They look much nicer the closer you are to them. I could see people not getting a better look in the initial 1080p stream, but if people are seeing this at 4K and think it doesn't look amazing for a new Halo game, then I don't know what to tell you guys other than I'm perfectly happy with Halo looking distinctly Halo in its visual identity. I don't want it looking like Battlefield or Call of Duty, which is what people seem to want. It's a distinct visual difference even from something like Far Cry. For people who want that game, it exists. I want Halo to continue looking like Halo, to keep this distinct art direction.

tv8f1Sb.png

I read mixed comments, but I can't say much, since I don't like FPS and I am spoiled by different graphic standards.

Mister Wolf

I read mixed comments, but I can't say much, since I don't like FPS and I am spoiled by different graphic standards.

I'm comparing it to Valhalla. A game no one called ugly from a technical standpoint. Both are open world, both target 4K 60, and both are crossgen including PC.

LordOfChaos

No she's deleted. Someone killer her even though MC was supposed to.

Maybe clones?

The other AI (the weapon?) says she was also supposed to get wiped when the mission completed, but she was still there, and also Chief was supposed to take Cortana to Infinity but didn't. To me it sounds like someone else has Cortana and that plot isn't over. Also sounds like Cortana is talking to Chief like she was when she was with the Gravemind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom