• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you like the Halo Infinite E3 2021 reveal?

Did you like the Halo Infinite E3 presentation?

• I liked it

Votes: 247 50.7%
  • I did not like it

Votes: 240 49.3%

• Total voters

zcaa0g

Banned
343 needs to be put down or degraded how Raven Software was even though Raven Software didn't deserve that fate unlike 343.

Great Hair

Banned
By the looks of it, halo infinite was never meant to be released in 2020. Even without the backlash "Graig", they would have postponed it anyway.

If not, why not release the multiplayer in 2020? Visuals are the same as 2020, don't see any improvement.

A few maps of a F2P mode, game can't be that hard to have them ready for your next console launch. They didn't do much since 2015?!

Yoboman

It delivered beyond my wildest dreams

Watching Mister Chief talking to not Cortana after he jumped around in space I could feel my heart racing and I cried. And then he was like "the mission has changed it always does" have they even given a best writing Academy Award to a videogame? Then Chief picked up the sword and was like slash slash I came a little

Sybrix

I worry the gameplay will be like Halo 5

For me, Halo 5 was complete dog shit, the gameplay, the maps, the new weapons, everything about it was horrible and i fear this looks to be the same, I really hope I’m wrong.

What concerned me the most was the lack of a single player gameplay, I think they are so far from what the fans want they can’t rectify at this point. The backlash last year was all based on how the gameplay demo looked and played and at that point 343 either has to pull the whole game and re start or try and make the best out of what they have so far and it’s clearly the latter where we are now….. and this worries me a lot.

I think by the time this game comes out, it will launch to a lukewarm reception and this may be the last full Halo title we get

Last edited:

MagnesD3

If it plays like Halo 5 multi-player I'll probably hate it, hopefully the pace has been slowed andyour allowed to play by yourself with radar again..

Last edited:

Arsic

Gold Member
MP looks great and I'm excited to play it. The campaign from what we've seen and been told, plus 343s story telling so far... yeah I'm good. I'll pass on actual infinite SP campaign.

GamingKaiju

I was secretly hoping that 343 would come up with something but they fell badly short only showed some MP and nothing else with all the doubt surrounding this game I would have thought they would go balls to the walls and blow us away.

Im thinking my time is done hoping that 343 delivers the goods they clearly aren’t upto the job just kill the IP ms.

BF2042 will dominate Halo in the MP charts.

So you with a straight face are trying to claim that THIS below in 4K doesn't look massively improved over the 2020 footage? The environmental detail and texture quality, especially into the distance, isn't way better than what we saw in the gameplay? If you're seriously trying to say it isn't, then we have nothing further to discuss, as I can see you have no interest in an honest discussion. It's basically trolling to claim the campaign footage we saw isn't a major graphical improvement over 2020.

Even the in-engine cutscene shown is a clear step above the real-time cutscene from 2020.

The Chief's armor also appears as if it's been given further detail and battle damage, unless his armor is set to be fixed at some point during campaign, I don't know.

It is not. World is static. It is still looks last-gen. Lighting is improved, though. You should use common sense, not hype.

dottme

I put for I didn’t like it. The reveal looks ok, but for a Halo game, this is way underwhelming. I was expecting something to blow my mind from such a franchise that probably also has a lot of money behind it.

Balboa

Hopefully that open world area they keep showing isn't just there to pad out a 3 hour campaign with trash filler like Gears 5, looking forward to trying the multiplayer as always.

Dude what reveal? Why did they delay the game? What was the point?

The outcry was because of the campaign right? How it looked uninspired. So they delayed the game a year to improve it.

But now, after a whole fucking year, they decide to not show anything of the campaign and show us multiplayer instead? What the fuck? Wasn't the point of the delay to improve the campaign? We knew multiplayer was coming later. So? What happened? You had to show halo infinite and say "Hey guys, we've been working really hard on this and this is how it looks now" but instead they showed us nothing lmao.
Most of us wanted to see the multiplayer more. Pretty sure the majority of people don't even know how the 5th ended.

makaveli60

I thought they will blast us with some amazing gameplay after what happened last year but they only came up with this? These gaming companies are getting more and more out of touch with the audience. What is going on in this industry?

I’ve given up on Halo, a lot of people just need to accept that we will never get the experience that Halo 1-3 gave us. The franchise just will never be the same and that make sense because 343 isn’t the original creators at the end of the day.

The multiplayer looks okay but the overall presentation for the game was very underwhelming.

It does not matter how much time 343 gets they will never recreate the magic of the first 3 games and that is clear.

Last edited:

Crew511A

I thought it looked better graphically. I don't like the art of design of the Banished, and I hate the direction 343 took the story in H5, so...those are problems that will have to be dealt with.

MP should be alright if they have everything ready to go when it ships and the game functions correctly, which is no safe bet with 343.

Rat Rage

I can only speak for myself, but there have been so many trash games shown during this year's e3 so far (IMHO), where I didn't feel even the slightest desire to play them - just pure aversion -, but Halo Infinite is definitely not one of them.

It's been the 2nd or 3rd game where I actually felt somewhat hyped and which made me feel "I want to play that" as opposed to "god damn, gaming is dead" or "what the fuck am I watching" .

MP looked to be really fun and chaotic. The SP trailer didn't really answer any of the community concerns that came up last time they showed footage, so I'm going to reserve judgement on that. F2P is a huge win though since that should keep the online servers packed with plenty of players. I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

I thought they will blast us with some amazing gameplay after what happened last year but they only came up with this? These gaming companies are getting more and more out of touch with the audience. What is going on in this industry?
Find a photo of dev teams from 15 years ago. Compare it to one today. Come back and let us know if there's anything to be learned.

Kurimao

QymWm.png

It is not. World is static. It is still looks last-gen. Lighting is improved, though. You should use common sense, not hype.

World is static based on what exactly? A quick flyover? That's like saying an Elder Scrolls game's world is static based on a quick flyover. It doesn't work that way. The world has wildlife in it, we saw a UNSC base with human allies walking around patrolling, we saw smoke signals with visible enemies walking around, there will be things to discover and find. Calling the world static based on so little is trolling. I'm not surprised you're trying to downplay how good it looks, though. Last gen? You've got to be out of your damn mind lol. What last gen Halo title looks like this? Because that's what it's being compared to.

Just lighting improved? So you're totally blind to the massive jump in raw environmental detail and texturing, that incredible draw distance? This blows away all previous Halo titles. Nothing approaches this level of graphics and environmental detail.

World is static based on what exactly? A quick flyover? That's like saying an Elder Scrolls game's world is static based on a quick flyover. It doesn't work that way. The world has wildlife in it, we saw a UNSC base with human allies walking around patrolling, we saw smoke signals with visible enemies walking around, there will be things to discover and find. Calling the world static based on so little is trolling. I'm not surprised you're trying to downplay how good it looks, though. Last gen? You've got to be out of your damn mind lol. What last gen Halo title looks like this? Because that's what it's being compared to.

Just lighting improved? So you're totally blind to the massive jump in raw environmental detail and texturing, that incredible draw distance? This blows away all previous Halo titles.

I'm not downplaying. It is improved, lighting most of it. But still nothing out of this world. And i'm not only one who said that. Trees still looks like shit and that immediatelly you can notice it when they show environment in trailer.

Nothing approaches this level of graphics and environmental detail.

Well, i'm not surprised that you're trying to exaggerating how it looks

Last edited:
I'm not downplaying. It is improved, lighting most of it. But still nothing out of this world. And i'm not only one who said that. Trees still looks like shit and that immediatelly you can notice it when they show environment in trailer.

Well, i'm not surprised that you're trying to exaggerating how it looks

Nicely done, leaving out my sentence prior showing that I'm comparing it to previous Halo games, and pointing out that no previous Halo game comes close to what's on display here, which is all Halo Infinite is being compared to. Troll on. This was clearly not a showing for xbox haters lol. Meanwhile Halo fans are excited lol.

What you tried to cut out.

"This blows away all previous Halo titles. Nothing approaches this level of graphics and environmental detail."

Today was a bad day for Halo Infinite haters and Xbox haters.

Last edited:

the_master

I am a halo fan and I am disappointed.
They did not show the campaign cause it does not look good.
They showed better draw distance and environment and a better animated Pelican. Still, no gameplay and no gameplay visuals, just in engine.

I am a halo fan and I am disappointed.
They did not show the campaign cause it does not look good.
They showed better draw distance and environment and a better animated Pelican. Still, no gameplay and no gameplay visuals, just in engine.

In-engine campaign stuff was the actual game... That's exactly what the gameplay will look like without the flying overview mode.

CamHostage

I think it would have been a firebox either way, but maybe they should have just shown the Multiplayer, and then set a date to show the Single Player (slash-Co-Op, right?) Campaign? Multi looked fine and fast, maybe not bleeding-edge but classic Halo.

They did that flyover of that same gulch (which looked nice enough, and also had some major issues like the light glow not loading until it came fully into screen view), and then Master Chief jumped around on rocks, but neither sequence did them any favors. Feels like there must be much, much more are to explore that would look totally different (are any of the Slipspace Engine Trailer lands still in the game?!), they should have just done flyovers of different biomes and then promised a date for a proper Campaign reveal before digging deep on MP.

As is, the stuff that looked fun didn't get much time, the stuff that wasn't what we wanted to see kept being shown, and none of it screamed, "Halo is fine now, guys, go get it on... the 2021 date it comes out!!" It felt buried, which is a tragic insult, even if it doesn't have the best graphics in the world.

Last edited:
Nicely done, leaving out my sentence prior showing that I'm comparing it to previous Halo games, and pointing out that no previous Halo game comes close to what's on display here, which is all Halo Infinite is being compared to. Troll on. This was clearly not a showing for xbox haters lol. Meanwhile Halo fans are excited lol.

What you tried to cut out.

"This blows away all previous Halo titles. Nothing approaches this level of graphics and environmental detail."

Today was a bad day for Halo Infinite haters and Xbox haters.

Of course Halo fans are excited. But outside of Halo fan thinking, Halo Infinite graphically doesn't stand out at all.

Of course Halo fans are excited. But outside of Halo fan thinking, Halo Infinite graphically doesn't stand out at all.

Well, that's funny then because a lot of non Halo fans, as well as halo fans, seem to be pretty fucking impressed with what was shown. There's only one way in which 343 didn't throw down the hammer today, and it's in not giving us brand new campaign direct gameplay, rather than the in-game flyover showing how the graphics have evolved, from textures, to lighting, to draw distance detail. As a Halo fan this is exactly what I hoped Halo Infinite would look like. This overview today looks superior to the first such shot they showcased with the warthog driving back in the reveal engine trailer.

So it looked THAT fucking good.

the_master

In-engine campaign stuff was the actual game... That's exactly what the gameplay will look like without the flying overview mode.
It is not the same at all. Cinematics are also in engine, and even in the last year gameplay we saw how cinematics have way superior textures and lighting.

This counts for nothing

Well, that's funny then because a lot of non Halo fans, as well as halo fans, seem to be pretty fucking impressed with what was shown. There's only one way in which 343 didn't throw down the hammer today, and it's in not giving us brand new campaign direct gameplay, rather than the in-game flyover showing how the graphics have evolved, from textures, to lighting, to draw distance detail. As a Halo fan this is exactly what I hoped Halo Infinite would look like. This overview today looks superior to the first such shot they showcased with the warthog driving back in the reveal engine trailer.

So it looked THAT fucking good.

Naah

Happy for you man. But how does it fair against industry standards?

Against industry standards it's right up there with the best I've seen. Many of the same tricks and techniques are present. Volumetric smoke, lighting, high quality depth of field, lens flare, evidence of motion blur when that ship flew past. Halo has its own unique art style, always has.

In motion everything below looks like an amazing piece of art work, it looks incredible. And then when you bring up industry standard people do so acting as if every game out there is boasting this kind of scale and freedom while bringing the kind of gameplay sandbox that Halo does. There continues to be no other game that plays the way Halo does. This level of scale and draw distance in a Halo title is new. Those places out into the distance are places you can go. The size of that Banished stronghold is massive in its scale, but it is made to seem so much smaller in the greater context of the size of Zeta Halo in Halo Infinite.

If it all looks this amazing and detailed at distance, this far up in the sky, it almost certainly looks amazing at gameplay camera angles.

bJj1m5f.png

GdFv9gP.png

I've seen people mention trees as if they're not familiar with LODs when they see them.

They look much nicer the closer you are to them. I could see people not getting a better look in the initial 1080p stream, but if people are seeing this at 4K and think it doesn't look amazing for a new Halo game, then I don't know what to tell you guys other than I'm perfectly happy with Halo looking distinctly Halo in its visual identity. I don't want it looking like Battlefield or Call of Duty, which is what people seem to want. It's a distinct visual difference even from something like Far Cry. For people who want that game, it exists. I want Halo to continue looking like Halo, to keep this distinct art direction.

tv8f1Sb.png

Top Bottom