• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did the PS4 compare to the PS2 in your opinion?

Which do you consider Sony's best Home Console?

• PS4

Votes: 37 27.0%
  • PS2

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • Other (PS3, PS1, PSTV)

Votes: 11 8.0%

• Total voters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You Can have whole souls trilogy and bb on ps4. Not on ps2.
AAA game only really started happening on ps3

Thirty7ven

Banned
PS2 had better platformers and JrPgs, that’s it.

PS4 had better games period. I don’t let nostalgia blind me.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
As in, overall libraries or just the exclusives? Because if it's the latter then PS2 had more of those that were way better. PS4 exclusives were pitiful for the most part, with only a handful of worthwile titles.

SolidQ

On a purely personal level, I got more enjoyment out of the ps4. I didn't have alot of money at the time, so my ps2 games library was somewhat lacking.

Still voted for the ps2 though.
In my country PS2 was pirate console, so I'm played tons games, except not much pirates sells Jrpg. Especially Valkyrie Profile 2, just finished on emu. Screw square not remastered VP2, but they makes VP1 for any platform, except PC. 16 years and VP2 still exclusive for PS2

PS2 had a lot of 3rd party exclusives. They were better at that.
PS4 was MUCH better in terms of Sony's own output though if we count from 2013 until Ragnarok.

Cyborg

I mean it's all about the time we live in and the acceleration of technology. PS2 was a huge leap compared to PS1 and the games were relatively cheap to make. PS4 was born in a different era with challenges (Strong(er) PCs, stronger competition, etc.) that were not present when PS2 launched and PS4 still managed to be a huge success.

doesn't even come close. PS2 is by far the best.

my two favourite PS4 games are Bloodborne and Persona 5. Of course, Persona 5 is no longer PS exclusive so that only leaves Bloodborne and Sony likes to pretend it doesn't exist.

I can live without PS1, PS3, PS4, and PS5 but I still have my PS2 Slim and about 20 games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I can’t tell if this is a serious question?

Did PS4 with its cross-gen games, and minuscule release schedule compare to the PS2 juggernaut?
The PS2 from back when Sony dominated exclusives by a Grand Canyon size difference? The PS2 whose games were all made solely for PS2, instead of sharing with last gen?

That PS2? The generation that saw the debut of Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Klonoa, God of War and a bajillion other hit franchises versus the generation that brought little new to the table?

Not even close. Not the same ballpark, not the same zip code, not the same state, not even the same solar system.

OuterLimits

Definitely PS2. Obviously it had a lock on 3rd party stuff, but even Sony was releasing some great stuff like Ico and SoTC. Hell, I even think Primal is severely underrated. (Although combat could have been better)

Davevil

Definitely my two favorite PS gens. I think I have to stick with 2 for now as:

-the quantity of great-excellent games was unreal. And there are still gems people can discover even nowadays, like, “oh shit, I didn’t even hear about this one!”
-there are still a good deal of PS4 games I haven’t even gotten to, compared to 2 where I’ve played most of the games I’ve gotten for it

imagination jerking off GIF

Seriously, sounds like a potentially cool poster, please link as I can’t seem to find it on Google.
630x.jpg

Maybe this

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
doesn't even come close. PS2 is by far the best.

my two favourite PS4 games are Bloodborne and Persona 5. Of course, Persona 5 is no longer PS exclusive so that only leaves Bloodborne and Sony likes to pretend it doesn't exist.

I can live without PS1, PS3, PS4, and PS5 but I still have my PS2 Slim and about 20 games.
We really got a 'next gen' console at the time when PS2 launched. Not just a massive graphical change from PS1 to 2 but yes, the library is one of my favorites of any console. Agreed PS4 would be right up there afterward due to the number of great games that released within the first 3-years of launch which is a crucial period in establishing rapport with the platform. PS1 & PS3 I liked equally for their own reasons.

I'm not even a playstation guy but I know that PS2 was on another planet in terms of what it meant for the industry.

I'm sure the PS4 was good but PS2 has got that legendary status.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think Sony knew ps4 would be different when it broke all kinds of sales records not since PS2.

PS4 was exceedingly safe. Maybe I am just having a brain fart but I can’t think of a big franchise birthed on PS4 outside of Horizon, which is just a very safe FarCry clone.

PS2 and 3 for that matter, were much better imho.

Robb

Gold Member
I can’t think of a big franchise birthed on PS4 outside of Horizon
Just of the top of my head Ghost of Tshushima was pretty darn great. Dreams comes to mind as well, but I guess that game isn’t very ‘big’. Bloodborne is another one and I’m sure AstroBot will get more games as well, those platformers are surprisingly great.

But yeah, I agree it doesn’t really compare to Ps2.

Last edited:
630x.jpg

Maybe this

I never got the post-life obsession with this image. 3 of these games aren't really that good, 2 can be considered mediocre to great depending on the person because they were niche games targeting a specific base.

You could swap out some of these to make the list better. Maybe add Twisted Metal Black, Rayman 2 Rev, Red Faction for some of these to make it look better,

It was peak Japanese gaming with the ps2 so as someone who loves japanese games it's ps2.

Huh, that's the first time I've seen someone say that about the PS2, I usually hear that about the Dreamcast. (or sometimes the Turbo16)

Not in a million years could the 360 compare to the PS2. Yeah, it was cool and all, but nothing will come close to that PS2 era.

For years PS2 and 360 were listed as among the greatest consoles of all time and that still happens now, they are both arguably the most varies home consoles released with their libraries. Along with tons of timed and full third-party exclusives of the time (Xbox One X and Series BC with OG Xbox and 360 taints this a little, while Sony's refusal to BC does make it so you need to buy a PS2, PS3 OG versions, or emulate on PC for many of them)

sachos

PS4 had some amazing games, closest they got to PS2 for sure. But PS2 had arcade racing games with split screen support, so thats a win. But seriously, PS2 library is insane, one of the most fun things to do with it is go find obscure games to try on it, the variety is crazy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom