• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did Final Fantasy VIII become so hated ?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Aye, I would love to see a FFVIII re-do, with a more traditional leveling system to get things rightly balanced. That would be awesome.
I’d love it. I have a soft spot for this game despite the ass-backwards gameplay and wacky story. The god-tier soundtrack and unique visual style/environment make up for any shortcomings. And it stuck with me way more than a lot of the safe, by-the-books JRPGs that were getting made at that time.

FF VIII is sort of like when there’s a band you love, and after a string of successes they decide to go for it and make something totally different and experimental. And even if it’s not your favorite album there’s still some things you love about it.

Davesky

The criticism to the twist near the ending is really just the result of todays culture that tends to just accept and repeat whats been read on the internet. The problem is that the collective response found online has generally been produced by the lowest common denominator and not representative of fans of the series or whatever that subject may be. Critical and independent thought is important to have today more than ever, and generally not to be found inside mass opinion.

I thought the story was okay. Cool concept of the antagonist messing with space-time and everything that happens with dreams, fate and synchronistic (coincidental) events perfectly fit into that. I'd say the story was probably based on Hindu philosophy, Jungian ideas and Superstring theory. Maybe if the company spent more time and resources focusing on explaining the story, character and world building instead of the flashy FMV's, then the game may have had more of a lasting impact and appeal.

Last edited:
The criticism to the twist near the ending is really just the result of todays culture that tends to just accept and repeat whats been read on the internet. The problem is that the collective response found online has generally been produced by the lowest common denominator and not representative of fans of the series or whatever that subject may be. Critical and independent thought is important to have today more than ever, and generally not to be found inside mass opinion.

I thought the story was okay. Cool concept of the antagonist messing with space-time and everything that happens with dreams, fate and synchronistic (coincidental) events perfectly fit into that. I'd say the story was probably based on Hindu philosophy, Jungian ideas and Superstring theory. Maybe if the company spent more time and resources focusing on explaining the story, character and world building instead of the flashy FMV's, then the game may have had more of a lasting impact and appeal.
Yeah, "everyone just had amnesia" is a great plot.

Davesky

Yeah, "everyone just had amnesia" is a great plot.

Although the explanation of GF use affecting memory isn't great, it isn't really a major part of the main plot to get worked over. You could easily just say it's in there to tie in with the idea of reincarnation and the fact you forget your eternal nature and past lifes as you grow older.

The ideas driving the story itself though I think is good, Ultimecia seeking to become a deity in the fourth dimension and the manipulation of present reality with dreaming and meaningful encounters. It just wasn't told very well.

I juctioned too many beers and sleeping pills over the years and completely forgot this game existed.

Game is great. Its a shame the English translation completely changed what Edea said in important scenes and made Squall come across as worse then he actually was.

Last edited:

TMLT

I get that it has issues but its one of my favourites. I just love the overall aesthetics of it. The more realistic feel with the properly proportionated characters, seeing all your party members following you, roads, cars that need fuel etc etc. I think it might have the best soundtrack in the series too.

HoodWinked

remembered they had the thing for summons where you mash a button for extra damage but if you pressed it at the wrong time it reset and punish you. what a stupid system.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It was fine but it came between two games (FFVII, FFIX) that were much better. Junction system was thrash, Squall was insufferable prick, Rinoa had all the mannerism of a virgin Jap girl.

remembered they had the thing for summons where you mash a button for extra damage but if you pressed it at the wrong time it reset and punish you. what a stupid system.
but the game had so much cool stuff too tho. You could totally skip summons and just live by limit breaks, keeping 2 characters low health to constantly unleash limit breaks with one character there to raise them if they get K.O.ed

Real talk imo in just about every FF game summons are just a cool spectacle to watch the animation of a few times until u get bored of it

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Behind FF5, FF8 is probably my favorite FF. Also GILGAMESH is in it.

Also Quistis and her Whip sound is engraved into my memory after every random encounter.

People that didn't like FF8 are just a chickenwuss.

Renzokuken is by far my favorite gameplay mechanic SE ever created.

Last edited:

th4tguy

The draw/junction system is broken and boring. Enemies leveling with you wasn’t fun.
The story was just stupid and hard to follow.
Those are the two biggest reasons and it seems you feel differently about them so, that is why you are confused. Most people feel differently and dislike the game because of it.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The draw/junction system is broken and boring. Enemies leveling with you wasn’t fun.
The story was just stupid and hard to follow.
Those are the two biggest reasons and it seems you feel differently about them so, that is why you are confused. Most people feel differently and dislike the game because of it.
I'm so glad this thread keeps getting revived to make way for these garbage posts.

aunt-viv.gif

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
TBH I think traditional turn based FF/DQ combat sucks. It’s so boring and mindless. The only fun part about it is when you figure out some strategy to just completely break and exploit the shit out of the game.

To that end, FF VIII is pretty great. It was fun figuring out all the ways to turn yourself into an unstoppable badass.

What made it even more fun for me is I played my first play-through more like a traditional FF game instead of min/maxing it. It was pretty hard (including one part where I got stuck in that optional dungeon were you get Bahamut and had to revert to an earlier save).

Then my second play through was like fuck you, I’m getting revenge on this game. Getting the ultimate weapons early, not fighting excessive battles, exploiting card mod, using Zell’s limit the “wrong” way where you just alternate the 2 starter moves really fast. It was satisfying.

Fuz

Banned
Plus, the story is just so absurd. I won't spoil anything if it's your first time, but a major plot point or realization expects the player just to buy into the most absurd coincidence I've ever heard.
You know, I don't remember much about its story. Spoiler it for me please.

You know, I don't remember much about its story. Spoiler it for me please.
All the protagonists that randomly met up throughout the game later discover they all actually grew up together as adoptive siblings/orphans. They just all (except one) forgot because the GFs they equip conveniently gave them all amnesia. The one who didn't forget just didn't bother mentioning it because he was upset they forgot.

Further, the main villan they've been chasing the entire game, just happened to play the role as their adoptive mother.

What a (stupid) twist!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

th4tguy

I'm so glad this thread keeps getting revived to make way for these garbage posts.

aunt-viv.gif
Final Fantasy has always experimented with different battle systems. Other Jrps have borrowed from the best mechanics. None have ever borrowed from FF8 junction system. It’s a garbage system in my opinion.
People who dislike the game all seem to point to it as the primary reason so it’s not a crazy, lazy, or wrong reason to point to when asked why many don’t like the game.
Are there people that like the game? Absolutely. Do they tend to feel differently about the battle mechanics? Yes. Are they wrong for feeling that way? No.

Everyone has different taste. But on topic with the question of the thread, the main reason people don’t like the game is because of the battle mechanics and the story, two of the four primary aspects of any jrpg.

Universally the game is praised for its graphics and music.

Last edited:
I'm playing it again right now, as I've been replaying all the numbered FF games.

Final Fantasy VIII is the worst in the series. Yes, worse than 2 - at least the Pixel Remaster version which fixes much of the frustrations of the that game.

BryceNobody

I'm playing it again right now, as I've been replaying all the numbered FF games.

Final Fantasy VIII is the worst in the series. Yes, worse than 2 - at least the Pixel Remaster version which fixes much of the frustrations of the that game.
*Looks at profile pic*
Confused Thinking GIF

Top Bottom