• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Souls community is adamant at telling you to "Git Gud" but won't dare go near a fighting game?

Gaiff

Gold Member
Damn, my thread really did a number on OP. It's fine, bro. You're not any less of a man because you play on Easy Mode. Friends?

Drell

Most of the souls fan I know are also big on complex fighting games with lots of inputs so in my opinion, your topic title is simply not true.

Nautilus

Banned
Because there is a difference between liking a genre but being unable or unwilling to learn how the game works, and just straight up not liking a genre.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The difference between Souls and Fighting games is that one is easy and one requires skill. Souls games are not difficult. They are mistakenly labelled as difficult because compared to the average game it does not hold your hand, let you adjust difficulty, and you need to be willing to learn from your mistakes. The whole "git gud" thing is a stupid meme and shouldn't be taken seriously. Yes you do need to adapt to the game but if you take the time to learn how the game plays and get used to the controls (like any other game) then you will be fine. Anytime that I've played a Souls game I might take a couple hours to settle into it and after that I'm strolling through the game.

Take Elden Ring for example. I struggled for the first hour and realised that I wasn't meant to fight the Tree Sentinel boss at that point so I moved on, levelled up, then came back to kick its ass. I got teleported into another area and realised I wasn't meant to be there so came back later. For about the next maybe 50 hours I didn't come across any major challenges. There was a boss I did struggle with but once I got that out the way then the rest of the game was easy right up until the end.

It was almost exactly the same experience for Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro.

Fighting games are very competitive and require skill. I've tried to get into them but they aren't for me. I suppose that supports your argument so you can stop reading but they are two totally different types of games. In any competitive game you are going to have people who literally dedicate their life to playing it and being as good as they can. You could have people who don't even play Souls games and still can't get into fighting games.

Soodanim

Gold Member
ITT OP gets mad about something he doesn't understand.

Git gud originates from Souls gameplay being designed around fair but punishing combat. If you died, it was probably avoidable and therefore there's no one to blame but yourself.

So you can try and apply that to PVP fighting games if you like, but it won't get you very far.

Last edited:
I don't know... have you actually asked everyone in the entire souls community?

I don't even think you know everyone in the entire souls community, so quite how you can speak to their propensity to play fighting games or not is truly a mystery indeed.

Ultra Donny

XNoNATz.jpg

Tell me. What do you see?
A naked lady?

Lasha

The Souls games are hardcore games for casuals. By that I mean they have become synonymous with hard games for the mainstream, the kind of people who mostly play cinematic games and FIFA. This is why you see these ridiculous "Crash Bandicoot is the Dark Souls of platformers" articles from unfortunate people who don't know any better.

Souls gameplay (especially nowadays) is also mostly about rote memorization and perseverance, which might be slightly useful skills in fighting games but are far from being enough since fighting games require the ability to strategize, quick thinking under pressure/adaptability and most importantly execution. Any dumbfuck Twitch streamer can beat a Souls game with moderate effort but ask them to clear Ash Crimson's 8th trial in KoF XIII and they'll fruitlessly be stuck on it for the next decade.

Video Related:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Here’s a poorly kept secret, Souls games don’t require much skill at all. Barely any reflexes, and the combat is very simple. It’s mostly a case of rock paper scissors and a waiting game. It gives a lower common denominator a sense of achievement because you have to learn how to kill a monster the first time you see them and then it’s rinse and repeat.

But so what right? It’s just funny how the games are actually not that hard at all which is why so many people are into them.

begotten

Same reason why they've never played a Mega Man game, Nioh in it's intended way, 2D or 3D Ninja Gaiden, MGR on Revengeance, a DMC game on Must Die or above. Meanwhile they play every Soulsborne game the exact same way mashing circle and then say Sekiro is hard because they finally had to parry after 5 games. Skillful!

Last edited:

Lasha

ITT OP gets mad about something he doesn't understand.

Git gud originates from Souls gameplay being designed around fair but punishing combat. If you died, it was probably avoidable and therefore there's no one to blame but yourself.

So you can try and apply that to PVP fighting games if you like, but it won't get you very far.

Every loss in a fighting game can be 100% attributed to avoidable mistakes or poor decisions. Its like the entire genre. Souls version of "fair" is "lol you walked in a room and this thing one shot you. You SHOULD have known he was there". The actual boss fights are pretty fair though.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Every loss in a fighting game can be 100% attributed to avoidable mistakes or poor decisions. Its like the entire genre. Souls version of "fair" is "lol you walked in a room and this thing one shot you. You SHOULD have known he was there". The actual boss fights are pretty fair though.
That's so wrong that I don't even know where to start.

Umbasaborne

Banned
For everyone making these threads these past few days…No one thinks your tough or impressive for playing video games

Here’s a poorly kept secret, Souls games don’t require much skill at all. Barely any reflexes, and the combat is very simple. It’s mostly a case of rock paper scissors and a waiting game. It gives a lower common denominator a sense of achievement because you have to learn how to kill a monster the first time you see them and then it’s rinse and repeat.

But so what right? It’s just funny how the games are actually not that hard at all which is why so many people are into them.
Dafuq? Lmao

Saber

Gold Member

Same fucking shit different day.

OP seems to have an argument with someone and felt like create a thread just for mocking. I play fighting games all the time.

GenericUser

I was wondering the same thing the other day. FROM fans "waste" so much time getting better at fighting against a computer. Fighting against real humans in a proper fighting game is a thousand times more interesting imo. You are fighting against a glorified calculator, lol.

Last edited:
Just like Souls games after a while. Although fighting a player in a fighting game tends to be a lot more involved then Invasions or Souls bosses that suffer from SNK boss syndrome.
Right. However I can’t even play a fighting game for ten minutes before I get bored.

People have different tastes, and fighting games has nothing to do with souls games.

b0uncyfr0

One of the stupidest comment's to come out recently imo.

Get good at a game that's increase my stress level [also my swearing proficiency - i'm australian].

Just dont play it. It helps if you don't have an abundance of time.

kuncol02

Banned
I'm a huge Souls fan, and he's not wrong, for the most part.

Souls games are not that difficult, but they do require your focus and will punish you.

I'm not including Sekiro here. That game is difficult (but, just bosses and mini-bosses) and takes a much different playstyle than Souls games.
Except there is no real punishment in Souls game. That's biggest lie of that genre. You actually don't loose anything. Whatever you lost you will regain in next run.

You all just playing Sekiro on easy all along....:messenger_winking_tongue:
I literally just found the bell for the first time, and this is my third playthrough. Had no idea it existed till 2 days ago.

Also, I think git gud is pretty much a joke at this point, as someone else pointed out above. Everybody who actually has played the souls games knows the difficult is present but not insurmountable and basically serves to make the power fantasy more satisfying. The few people who say git gud unironically are just trolls and nobody should really care what they have to say if they are not providing useful info alongside git gud.

I view this as a byproduct of froms terrible marketing decisions regarding the souls games post ds1 launch and during ds2s launch. "Prepare to die edition" etc.

Final edit: this also seems like a bait thread the likes of which one would find on /v/.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
In my experience, hardcore fighting game players are only good at that genre. My friend used to love em but didn’t like shooters cuz he said it was unfair to be shot from the back sometimes since he couldn’t see the other player on the screen. They lack a fundamental sense of situational awareness due to having a rudimentary player v player viewpoint at at all times.

Tg89

I'd rather play good competitive games like Counter Strike, Dota or StarCraft.

The FGC is a bunch of weirdos who smell like shit.

kevm3

Git gud is a response to those begging to create a Dark souls easy mode, which is akin to fighting game players complaining about games being simplified and moves being added to help ease casuals in.

98.5% of games are baby easy now, so why can't people have one game where it's not a cakewalk?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
99% of those that tell you to git gud can't finish the game naked, using broken sword and not using auto aim/lock-on. They are hypocrites.

RyRy93

I love Souls and competitive shooters and racing games but fighting games bore the shit out of me and getting juggled is a lame mechanic

Kilau

Gold Member
I was wondering the same thing the other day. FROM fans "waste" so much time getting better at fighting against a computer. Fighting against real humans in a proper fighting game is a thousand times more interesting imo. You are fighting against a glorified calculator, lol.
Our future is fighting computers. Fighting humans is friendly fire. Take the fight where it belongs. Death to ai!

Filben

How do you know they won't ?

seems like a fake argument you have under the shower.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Who hurt you OP? Don’t worry we’re here for you. Just one step at a time, you’ll get there, but before getting there you have to confess to yourself that you suck, you’re a casual OP, you are one of those easy mode people.

Do that and i promise you ”Git Gud” will be become second nature to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom