• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Souls community is adamant at telling you to "Git Gud" but won't dare go near a fighting game?

bitbydeath

The term is mainly used to say you need to get better at rolling/dodging and parrying. Has nothing to do with leveling up as leveling up in and of itself doesn’t really make the game any easier.
Disagree, being able to deal more damage and take more hits is far more advantageous than simply rolling/dodging and parrying.

killatopak

It's like being mad at someone making fun of you to git gud at solitaire and challenging them at chess.

This shouldn't become personal and I hope OP can calm down and enjoy stuff they like. You're not beholden to someone if you aren't enjoying a particular game.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Fighting games? Multiplayer?

Ha.

A man once approached me in the midst of my mercantile trade. A rough, haggard man, a stony look etched into his irises, that unmistakable Lingering of failure so repeated and heavy it eroded the walls of this man's very countenance. He meekly hobbled over to my table. Wasting no time on idle banter, the man laid his wonder out in front of me.

"How, Kira, how do you remain such a stone in the rolling riptides of the ocean of wins and losses? How?!"

I told him, clear and direct: I have cut my teeth on only the AI. Some say it is rigid. A handicap, because I can learn and adapt and it can only follow it's programming. But I argue that the AI is flawless. It will never trash talk. It will never be a sore loser. It will never claim to have laid with my mother, nor will it make excuses about lagging.

The AI and I have entered into The Warrior's Pact. There are no adversaries. Only game mates. There are no feelings. Only HP. To play with a human would be to admit having those same faults. The Warrior rejects.

AngelMuffin

Disagree, being able to deal more damage and take more hits is far more advantageous than simply rolling/dodging and parrying.
Not saying it isn’t important just that it has nothing to do with the phrase “git gud”.

Have you seen YT videos of people beating the game with minimal leveling up? They’re exceptional at those aforementioned skills. You had to learn how to approach combat. Anyone with a pulse can level up their character by doing some soul farming on weaker enemies. Takes 0 skill to do that and unless you know what kind of build you want going in it can actually be detrimental.

Arachnid

1v1 me in Tekken bitch

EN5xgREWkAArrwW.jpg

theclaw135

Banned
People don’t go near most fighting games in general.

The image of the archetypal fighting game is needing a spreadsheet filled with jargon to understand each character's moveset, and a bulky expensive controller to be able to perform the inputs in the allotted frame window.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Out of all the genres I play, fighting games off the top of my head are the most difficult for me(now that im older) because of the time I have to put in(on average). And that's with all the nuances and things that come with it.
This and RTS like Age2, and StarCraft.

Fredrik

I take “git good” as “you should level up your character”, not “get better at playing”.

Souls games are all about levelling up.
Plus, finding ways to cheat the bosses.
It’s why I like Elden Ring more than any other Souls game, because you can level up by exploring a big world instead of grinding the same group of blue knights or whatever 100 times. 🙃

Top Bottom