• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can I upgrade Final Fantasy VII Remake PS4 to the PS5 version?

Filben

UPDATE: The issue was resolved thanks to advices from the community.

See title. Owning the disc version since day one. Now that I have a PS5 I want to continue with that version. I've read that PS+ version (practically that you haven't paid extra for) got an free update? What about people who spend 60 bucks on the game? Am I missing something? The page on the console says I can """upgrade""" to FFVII intergrade for 79,99 EUR... how is that? Is there not even a 10 EUR option like for GT7? I don't understand.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Should just install the disc first then goto the PSN game page and download the PS5 version. (Possibly hidden in a dropdown)

Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
See title. Owning the disc version since day one. Now that I have a PS5 I want to continue with that version. I've read that PS+ version (practically that you haven't paid extra for) got an free update? What about people who spend 60 bucks on the game? Am I missing something? The page on the console says I can """upgrade""" to FFVII intergrade for 79,99 EUR... how is that? Is there not even a 10 EUR option like for GT7? I don't understand.
It's free. Just put the disc in first.

cormack12

Gold Member

I don't think the PS+ edition is entitled to the upgrade.
EDIT: This is now freely upgradeable: https://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-ps-plus-free-ps5-upgrade-now-available

Make sure to upload your save first from the ps4 game menu so you can download it in the ps5 version.

PS4->PS5 upgrade is free for disc owners provided you don't have a DE console obviously.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
If only there was s smart way they could deliver this game to this user.

He wouldn't have to make these posts.
I didn't realise how long winded it was, till reading the article posted above, you even have to upload your save too.

I think I really do take Xbox's cloud saves and smart delivery for granted.

Hopefully OP knows what he is doing for any future titles now.

Filben

Should just install the disc first then goto the PSN game page and download the PS5 version. (Possibly hidden in a dropdown)

It's free. Just put the disc in first.
I did put in the data disc. It didn't show anything different.

do I have to finish the installation? Because that would be utterly stupid because I've done upgrades like three times now with other games and they all needed to download the WHOLE PS5 game and did not use any of the PS4 data.

but if that's the only way to get that upgrade I guess "wasting" an hour is better than paying anything.

Reactions: TLZ

Kagey K

Banned
I didn't realise how long winded it was, till reading the article posted above, you even have to upload your save too.

I think I really do take Xbox's cloud saves and smart delivery for granted.

Hopefully OP knows what he is doing for any future titles no
It's really fucking stupid, and the fact that they make it as obtuse as can be, doesn't help the average consumer at all

bitbydeath

I did put in the data disc. It didn't show anything different.

do I have to finish the installation? Because that would be utterly stupid because I've done upgrades like three times now with other games and they all needed to download the WHOLE PS5 game and did not use any of the PS4 data.

but if that's the only way to get that upgrade I guess "wasting" an hour is better than paying anything.
Yes, you must install it first for it to register its existence.

Beechos

I had a hell of a time with this too. If i remember correctly let the ps4 version install when the icon becomes avail press options and somewhere in there you can download the ps5 version. If you already played the game and have a save file, you HAVE to run the ps4 version and upload each save file individually to the cloud. From there you have to run the ps5 version and redownload them from the cloud. My ps5 made me keep both versions of the game installed btw everytime i deleted the ps4 version my system automatically redownloads it everytime. Hope you have an external connected to your ps5.

SkylineRKR

It was a pain. I had to redownload the PS4 app, until you can launch it. Then you can migrate it to the PS5 version by selecting the version from the application options. For saves you have to launch the PS4 version, upload each save, and then launch the PS5 version and download each one from the game menu.

Its a far cry from Smart Delivery.

Filben

Okay it worked.

I had to go to the product page from the PS4 version to the Intergrade version for 79,99EUR, then go to the three dots, as someone here had pointed out, and there select the upgrade to the PS5.

However, for the save games to work I had to let the installation of the PS4 Version finish, upload a save from within the game, then delet the PS4 version to free up space, then download the PS5 version. It's not finished yet but I hope everything will work fine from there.

Oh, and by the way, despite the game (PS4) says you can upload as many saves as you want this is practically not true. There's only ONE slot available, so my guess is you have to start the Ps5 version, download one save, then go back to the PS4 version upload another one and do this all over again depending on how many save files you want to transfer.

Seeing how this and in some other games is handled by Sony you can tell they haven't had BC in mind when they developed their license/management software for PS4 back then and now they have to offer convoluted ways to make this work. In all fairness, it does work in almost every case, but to acquire a whole new licence and that the PS5 version is handled as a separate game from the PS4 version is really not intuitive and not very consumer friendly.

Anyways, I have my PS5 version now and I think , while it's a horrific save game transfer solution, it's going to work.

Thanks again for everyone helping here and showing sympathy 👍🏻

Last edited:
Top Bottom