• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can anyone think the PS5 is costing anything less than 600 - 700 USD?

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I think they will bite the bullet and come out at $399.99. I don't believe that they could sit $200 higher than the series s.

RCU005

What is it that makes people think the PS5 will be expensive? The SSD?

Don't you people know that companies make deals with manufacturers (we don't know who makes the SSD for the PS5, I think), and the cost for Sony would be a fourth (or even less) of the retail price? Do people really think that Sony buys at the same price as consumers at retail?

Also, there's a lot of costs that can be subsidized by Sony depending on what deals they make. Then, there's the fact that Sony might choose to sell the console as a loss.

It's just about using logic and common sense to know that the PS5 will NOT be more than $499.

In fact, depending on what the BOM really is, and what their target price point, plus target sales are, they could even sell it lower. The thing might look expensive, but you don't know how expensive it is. Like I said, not because you see an expensive price for consumers, means that it's that expensive for Sony.

If the rumored BOM is real at $450. They can perfectly sell the PS5 at $499/$399. In fact, they could even sell at $450/$399.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I think they will bite the bullet and come out at $399.99. I don't believe that they could sit $200 higher than the series s.
I agree but don't bring that junk here. Its hard to concentrate and I have a long history with mens underwear.

change to hand in women's panties avatar please. I had a traumatic mens locker room experience

TheContact

I strongly feel like Sony needs to do something similar to this, regardless of what the price is: (note that it comes with a year 2 years of game pass)
TgygbfY.png

Last edited:
it’s not so much about the deal but the lack of an upfront cost. 2 years at 0%apr is insane. Very few families won’t be able to pay that off in 2 years; it’s extremely enticing.

It's definitely a good idea in a world where many people live paycheck to paycheck, what happens when they miss payments, though?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t know which thread to talk about the PS5 in. Lol Sony has something big to announce and I think what’s going on is 1. Finally focusing on Microsoft and 2. Being incredibly impatient because two-four weeks is too long of a wait. I could be wrong here. I don’t think Sony is trembling. Wouldn’t they have made a pun or something by now? I think they’re going to try and drop the mic again. Watching all these price rumors makes it feel like you’re searching for a needle in a hay stack. I honestly couldn’t guess what I think it’ll cost. *I am trying to come off as being on the console-neutral side, but implying that Sony won’t mess this up.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

That all access deal could work in these times. MS is pushing it as a service, they've been upfront about this. I think its a brilliant strategy and starting to see why they're so confident. We all know the future is subscription based. We've seen it with movies, music. Buying one game for 60 bucks only to beat it once isn't going to hold out for that long. Retail is already diminishing. But then you have to buy them full whack on their store. This should be an option, not the only way.

I think what MS does here, is like Xbox Live on OG Xbox. It will be adopted widely. Expect a PS6 with this same business model.

Let me say as a Playstation fan I am very excited about both the S and this sales model. And gamepass ultimate.

supernova8

Banned
Next-Gen is shaping up very nicely so far, but I'm a bit irritated how people can still possibly believe that the PS5 will launch with a price of 499 or even 399.

Sony is not just using top of the line components, with a SSD that seems do not even be available for the desktop market, but they are also building more expensive technology in their controller (upping manufacturing costs).

Most importantly the PS4/Pro is still selling well and costs around 449 USD/Euro even today! There is simply no reason for Sony to abandon the PS4 considering it's installation base and they will continue to sell a lots of them well into the future.

The PS5 is build around delivering a really next gen experience with not just visuals, but sound and haptics and they can't possibly meet demand anyway considering that the PS4 will most likely still move more units in the holiday season.

PS5 will be great, no doubt about it, but don't kid youself, there really is now way they are going to launch this at anything but a very premium price.

It might be frustrating if you don't have the necessary funds, but I wouldn't be suprised if they launched at 599 or even more, considering people are flocking to buy new iphones for over 1000 usd/euros.

As someone interested in buying a PS5, let me tell you now if they price it at 600 or 700 I'm not buying it. They can fuck off.

If their attitude is "I've got all the games on my platform, pay me bitches" then the answer will just be "No."
I will get a PS5 but it won't be for more than $499, even if I have to wait for a price drop.

Just because they went overboard on their BOM doesn't mean people are going to pony up the money for it. Maybe the first few million units bought by a mixture of early adopters and bloodsucking flippers, but after that people will be like "err no". If it goes for 600-700 then flipper prices will be 1000 or more and that's into "absolutely not" territory.

Last edited:

duyxbox

Neo Member
499$ / 599$ / 699$ , whatever numbers does not matter, the matter is my wife approves or not.
But personally, 399$ -449$ is a sweat spot for me, anymore up than that is really tough, given the current conversion rate.

GreatnessRD

At this point the PS5 gonna be a cool $550-$600. They trying to decide how they're gonna finesse their pricing to the consumer.

"Fast cash SSD, bruh!"

docbot

Banned
Sony has no other option than to price the PS5 competitive now. it's prob. gonna be 499 and 399. But who knows.

Obviously I was wrong.

CeeJay

So weird that so many people think the PS5 will be more than $499.

At the rumoured BOM 499 even looks a little high. Even if the BOM is significantly higher than that, there's still slack for it to be 499.

There's just no way Sony would design a console with a target price of $599. It would be incredibly risky. There's just no way they can have a $200 gap between the Series S and the cheaper PS5.
They did before... And that was 14 years ago.

The PS3 $599 was like them coming out today and saying $799

THE:MILKMAN

What is it that makes people think the PS5 will be expensive? The SSD?

Don't you people know that companies make deals with manufacturers (we don't know who makes the SSD for the PS5, I think), and the cost for Sony would be a fourth (or even less) of the retail price? Do people really think that Sony buys at the same price as consumers at retail?

Also, there's a lot of costs that can be subsidized by Sony depending on what deals they make. Then, there's the fact that Sony might choose to sell the console as a loss.

It's just about using logic and common sense to know that the PS5 will NOT be more than $499.

In fact, depending on what the BOM really is, and what their target price point, plus target sales are, they could even sell it lower. The thing might look expensive, but you don't know how expensive it is. Like I said, not because you see an expensive price for consumers, means that it's that expensive for Sony.

If the rumored BOM is real at $450. They can perfectly sell the PS5 at $499/$399. In fact, they could even sell at $450/$399.

I largely agree. I just can't see Sony/Cerny sitting down in 2015 and deciding after the huge success of PS4/Pro at $399 that PS5 would be designed to retail at $600-$700 and I even question $499. Yes I'm sure they make some tasty deals for parts but also I think they might even do a little corporate back scratching too e.g. Digitimes reported that Phison are supplying the PS5 SSD controller and back in June there was this article: https://english.nna.jp/articles/17062 Maybe a coincidence or maybe not...

TheContact

It's definitely a good idea in a world where many people live paycheck to paycheck, what happens when they miss payments, though?

i imagine the same thing that would happen if you miss any other payment to a bank: you take a credit hit. most families, i think, who are willing to purchase this, can afford 25-35 a month without issue

G-Bus

Banned
They can't do another $599 usd console. It didn't work for ps3, and it won't work for ps5.

They want a higher rate of adoption this cycle and I'm hoping that will be reflected in price.

$399 and $499 respectively.

Klik

After seeing XsX is 499$ there's no way they will release PS5 for more than 499$. Also, they made so much money this gen they really dont have to worry about financing

Playstation would be shooting their own feet if they sell it above 549 price mark. Now with the XSX reveal, I can't see them going above 499.

prag16

Banned
You think so? 4K players aren't cheap.
Maybe not at retail. But I got a Magnavox one for $65 refurbished 2 years ago. There's no way the cost to Sony of including a 4k drive in the PS5 is greater than $50. No chance If they charge $100 extra, they're looking for profit, just like Apple would do upcharging $100 for an iPhone with 16GB storage rather than 8, etc. They probably still do that; haven' been paying attention.

manfestival

The ps5 is clearly going to cost $2000. They should charge $5000 but most people are too poor to afford that. The truest of value is found only on Sony Playstation!

Every day they don't announce the price, it's because it has gone up another $10.

Source: I know a guy who is familiar with how developers think.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Maybe not at retail. But I got a Magnavox one for $65 refurbished 2 years ago. There's no way the cost to Sony of including a 4k drive in the PS5 is greater than $50. No chance If they charge $100 extra, they're looking for profit, just like Apple would do upcharging $100 for an iPhone with 16GB storage rather than 8, etc. They probably still do that; haven' been paying attention.

Sony gods have spoken. Helps to differentiate the models and incentivize going disc'less as well, so it makes sense.

prag16

Banned
Sony gods have spoken. Helps to differentiate the models and incentivize going disc'less as well, so it makes sense.
But how many people will buy the discless version who would not have already been going mostly digital anyway? I think you (and apparently Sony) may be overestimating the amount of sales this will convert from physical to digital.

Top Bottom