• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Badly Battlefield 5 REALLY Failed

Bryank75

Banned
Didn't the developer say that if you dont like it then don't buy it?
Yes, there seems to be this whole culture among corporates and many creatives that 'woke' culture is the way to go...... despite the huge losses that we've seen with Birds of Prey, Battlefield, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Gilette and countless others.
Then these people think attacking the customers by calling them 'ists' and 'phobes' will somehow guilt people (who have no reason to feel guilty) into buying their products.

They are deluded fools and if they don't like their customers, they should quit so someone can do the job right.
These are not political positions....it's entertainment.

Also part of the reason gaming should remain product based and not go the service route, because these people treat you like shit and have no idea how to run a service..... better off to be just a box on a shelf or a download for purchase.

Last edited:

wolywood

Never understood the big deal about depicting women in combat. Yeah it's not historically accurate. Do you think real life soldiers magically heal from bullet wounds by crouching down and/or applying enchanted bandaids? It's a freaking video game.

Never understood the big deal about depicting women in combat. Yeah it's not historically accurate. Do you think real life soldiers magically heal from bullet wounds by crouching down and/or applying enchanted bandaids? It's a freaking video game.
And it has videogame elements in it, like healing with enchanted band aids. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fun. The game is set in WW2 which actually occurred. If you want to make a game featuring invincible, half cyborg women performing 180 degree mid air quick scoping, have at it. Just don't set it in WW2.

Last edited:

Strider311

Personally, BF1 might have been my favorite. Loved the setting and it still maintained solid BF gameplay. BFV was crap. And I mean all around. Even the shooting felt off to me.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Even though Battlefield V didn't live up to peoples expectations I think it geared Dice in the right direction (unique maps, WW2 theme, changing game modes) I rank it above Battlefield 3, 4, and 1 because of those reasons, the gameplay is still top 5 fps.

Mossybrew

The map designs are bad.

I got a decent amount of fun out of the game, but I ended up losing interest much faster than prior Battlefields. I think a lot of it came down to, I just didn't care for the maps. So many were like "ugh, this map again" and yeah, the lack of iconic WW2 locations made the game weirdly feel like it was set in some alternate kinda-WW2 dimension that never felt or looked quite right.

wolywood

And it has videogame elements in it, like healing with enchanted band aids. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fun. The game is set in WW2 which actually occurred. If you want to make a game featuring invincible, half cyborg women performing 180 degree mid air quick scoping, have at it. Just don't set it in WW2.

I assume you feel the same way about the Wolfenstein series?

wolywood

I mean, if a video game taking liberties with historical events bothers you guys that much, so be it. Metal Gear Solid 3 takes place during an actual historical event (the Cold War) and features real life politicians as NPCs. The fact that the plot involves a female super soldier double agent who prevents World War 3 from launching via nuclear missile equipped bipedal robot tank in no way diminished my enjoyment of said game. I accept that video games are for the most part alternate history fantasy universes, and not documentaries.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What was the fake story they put again?

In real life, the mission was Finnish or Norweigian soldiers, and DICE replaced them with a mother and teenage daughter?

When you very openly insult your customer base prior to a major launch, you probably are going to have a fail on your hands.

Add to that that the game was just inferior to BF1 in almost every way and it was a wrap. A shame, too, BF1 still is awesome.

I am glad they took some time off, I hope BF6 blows us away again

DonF

I booted up bfv last week, just had one server going, wake island and a guy on a plane doing 90-0.
I decided that it was my purpose in life to kill him. It was impossible. They guy was just doing bomb runs, ruin the whole match.

Trash game.

diffusionx

Gold Member

There's a difference between mechanical abstractions (like bandages) and setting/aesthetics. Generally the BF games stuck closely from a setting/aesthetic point of view, while obviously making abstractions in gameplay to make the game play better. Those are both things that people appreciated about the game, it had versimilitude while also being a fun game to play.

It wasn’t JUST woman soldiers, go look at the initial trailer, it was artificial robot limbs, Braveheart face paint, giant swords, shit like that. It looked like Fortnite while at the same time they were hyping up a “return to WW2”, it was absurd and shitty. If they wanted to make Fortnite Battlefield they should have done that but they tried to pitch it to old school fans and got burned. And instead of respecting the people who have kept this series going for almost 20 years they went full “gamers are dead” and “right side of history.” Fuck ‘em.

Last edited:
the game turned into COD. Sprint die sprint die
Yup EA just can't help themselves, gotta chase the COD money.

I booted up bfv last week, just had one server going, wake island and a guy on a plane doing 90-0.
I decided that it was my purpose in life to kill him. It was impossible. They guy was just doing bomb runs, ruin the whole match.

Trash game.
I'm convinced someone left and another designer is in charge who has no idea how to balance the game. Battlefield always had counters for something. Battlefront has the same issue.

ultrazilla

Dice needs to go back to where it all started and just remaster Battlefield 1942 with all the expansions. That could be their "next" Battlefield game
and I'd be day 1 on it.

Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 3 and 4 are my favorites. Great maps and gunplay. Now? They're just about pushing agendas. Going forward, I really don't
see much hope for the franchise. :messenger_confused:

So, I salute the Battlefields of old and never forget:

Fuz

Banned
What I really think about is, why cater to such a small minority that probably don't even play to begin with or even would buy that kind of game?
Because the "other" majority will buy it anyway.

This game didn't fail because of the "get woke, go broke", despite what some of you guys like to think. It's a drop in the ocean.

Last edited:

JoduanER2

I mean, if a video game taking liberties with historical events bothers you guys that much, so be it. Metal Gear Solid 3 takes place during an actual historical event (the Cold War) and features real life politicians as NPCs. The fact that the plot involves a female super soldier double agent who prevents World War 3 from launching via nuclear missile equipped bipedal robot tank in no way diminished my enjoyment of said game. I accept that video games are for the most part alternate history fantasy universes, and not documentaries.

Comparing metal gear to battlefield in the realistic depiction of events... 🤦

They are completely different franchises, which approach the historical events in a very different matter.

Quixz

Yeah absolutely. A lot of people insist BF1 was good but they are just deluding themselves as far as I'm concerned. BFV sucks because it's not much different from BF1 which sucked, period. Neither of those games felt like Battlefield because there's very few vehicles, usually only 1 or 2 tanks per side at once. It felt more like "Small Skirmish" rather than "Battlefield". BF is known for hectic all out war, with action going on everywhere. That just doesn't happen in BF1 or BFV, which is why the "gameplay" trailers for it are just made up in-engine scenes that don't reflect gameplay at all.

Compare that to the gameplay trailer for BF4:

This is all actual gameplay footage with the HUD and everything, they can do that because BF4 gameplay is that thrilling, with tons of infantry and vehicles all over the place going at it.

I was really crap at this game but now feel like reinstalling :messenger_tears_of_joy:

cormack12

Gold Member
So many were like "ugh, this map again" and yeah, the lack of iconic WW2 locations made the game weirdly feel like it was set in some alternate kinda-WW2 dimension that never felt or looked quite right.

Yeah specifically Rotterdam and that village with the courtyard choke point. We dont ask for much. Remember metro 24/7

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Because the "other" majority will buy it anyway.

This game didn't fail because of the "get woke, go broke", despite what some of you guys like to think. It's a drop in the ocean.

Why did it fail then?

We've recently seen with The Last Of Us 2 that woke devs gets back lashed. Druckmann had really made bad attention solely because of the SJW agenda, and Battlefield V suffered same fate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The initial reveal trailer featured a one man army woman with a prosthetic limb backflipping out a window sniping people. It was utterly absurd. Here you go. All very realistic.

Realism aside, that honestly looks pretty badass. Is the campaign any good? I don't really play multiplayer anymore.

I guess I'm the only one who like BF1, and have put over 100+ hours into it. BF3 is still my favorite BF game, with BF4 right behind it. I still play BF4 now and then.

Last edited:

INC

I guess I'm the only one who like BF1, and have put over 100+ hours into it. BF3 is still my favorite BF game, with BF4 right behind it. I still play BF4 now and then.

Bf1 is fine, as long as you realise its BF lite edition

Dog fights were finally fun, players v planes was more balanced (imo)

Atmosphere was great, gfx were clean, most maison had decent flow

The TTK was a little to slow for a BF game, all they needed to do was increase all guns by 25% accept snipers and shotguns, and it would of be fine.

Still a fun casual bf game

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not really, its war stories again, and standard dice mehness

If u can get for a £5 sure

Just got Battlefield 1 for couple of bucks on Amazon, so I'll wait for a steep discount on V, then, too.

Arachnid

Yeah absolutely. A lot of people insist BF1 was good but they are just deluding themselves as far as I'm concerned. BFV sucks because it's not much different from BF1 which sucked, period. Neither of those games felt like Battlefield because there's very few vehicles, usually only 1 or 2 tanks per side at once. It felt more like "Small Skirmish" rather than "Battlefield". BF is known for hectic all out war, with action going on everywhere. That just doesn't happen in BF1 or BFV, which is why the "gameplay" trailers for it are just made up in-engine scenes that don't reflect gameplay at all.

Compare that to the gameplay trailer for BF4:

This is all actual gameplay footage with the HUD and everything, they can do that because BF4 gameplay is that thrilling, with tons of infantry and vehicles all over the place going at it.

Fucking hell, thank you. I thought I was going insane seeing BF1 get praised to high heaven everywhere. I personally wasn't a fan. Everything felt too controlled and small scale. I never had those crazy "Only in Battlefield" moments all the prior entries all gave me, and it's the only BF I never hit at least 100 on (other than BFV; I hit the level 50 level cap at launch and haven't touched it since), and that's including Hardline which gave me more enjoyment than BF1.

The crazy part is that BF1 has the most sales in the series by a substantial amount. If I remember correctly it doubled sales from BF4. My personal theory is that most of the people I see praising it so much started with it as their first BF entry.

Last edited:

Aidah

I thought the focus on "inclusiveness" was supposed to bring in heaps of girl gamers and soy boys, offsetting and vastly exceeding the insignificant number of lost customers that didnt care for the focus and direction.

Gravemind

I'm ashamed to admit I preordered this pile of garbage. I was so hyped lol

Loved every game from Bad Company 2 to BF1, then played about 10 hours of BFV before uninstalling it for good.

What a train wreck that game is. Hurts my soul as a Battlefield fan.

Varteras

Gold Member
Jesus Christ that's atrocious.

Does everything EA touch turn to shit??

This wasn't because of something EA did. The same way Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda being disasters was on Bioware and its joke of a general manager at the time. This was something DICE did to themselves. The most you could hit EA itself for was actually on them really doing nothing to keep them in line. Again, the same way they let Bioware get stupid with their projects before Aaron Flynn was forced out in favor of bringing Casey Hudson back to save their asses. If I recall correctly, some of the top guys at DICE were ousted after the BF5 disaster.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Jesus Christ that's atrocious.

Does everything EA touch turn to shit??
I think part of EA's problem is they are too big. Probably a case of too many fucking employees muddying the pot. No doubt, they got the money, resources, and shit they even bragged years back with a EA campus tour where they showed off their mo-cap building. So they got the resources.

A good example was 2k sports back then vs EA. There is no doubt 2k teams had fewer people, smaller budgets, but somehow back then..... 2k to 2k8 years (ballpark), I'd say every 2k sport was better than EA. Football 2k5 was the last, but NBA, NHL better. OK, MVP Baseball was better on EA.

Each one of their games probably has a couple hundred people all sticking their hand in the jar and a million levels of management where half of them probably don't know anything about games.

Just because you're one of the biggest doesn't mean best quality or even biggest market share.

I've worked at all big companies in my career, but some are smaller than others. Even then, as a company probably 1/4th the size of the biggest company in the industry, we could still pull off #1 market share products by having great products at a good price.

The problem with the industry behemoths is that sales and profits are always more important than quality. No doubt for making investors happy, they'd rather show a game that sold a billion dollar sales with middling reviews and might sink the franchise, than a half billion dollar sales game that got stellar reviews and can lead to something bigger later.

Woo-hoo! Short term won.

That's why so many of the big publishers have to release games even not done. There's only so much delaying. With smaller studios, their resources are tighter, but as long as they can afford to do so, they can delay the game till when they feel like it. There likely isn't Wall St watching.

Last edited:

Thugmatic

Neo Member
Hate seeing BF1 hate in these threads. The people that are saying its as bad as BV are insane.. Only similarities were less vehicles. Atmosphere, gun play and map design couldn't be more different from 1 to V. Operations in BF1 was some of the best FPS gameplay I've ever experienced.

I guess it is safe to say there has been a steady decline in the "BF experience" from 3 down to V. It is hard to please both kinds of fans the way DICE is heading.

BF6 needs to go back to modern day and really distance itself from this SJW marketing crap.

diffusionx

Gold Member
How badly Battlefield V feels?

When the game from 2011 still blows it away.

I bought a new PC for that game. While I had problems with it, it bums me out that it looks and plays better than anything we got this gen, and even now it doesn’t just hold up but looks fantastic. For reference, look at some screens and movies of BF1942, that game was 9 years old when BF3 came out.

i always scoffed at the “diminishing returns” crowd, until I observed it this decade.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

BFV was dead the moment they released that first nonsensical trailer.
Its still a better game than BF1 though. Not saying much because both are the worst games in the series. BF1 will forever be shit because of the auto lock to enemies when you press the aim button. Unforgivable.

Going forward, BF1942 and BF2 PC need to be the template. More tactical and slower paced. Do that, or the series is dead.

manfestival

It is amazing to me that I can find better matches in BF1 vs BF5. I still have both games installed and play them from time to time when I have the itch. Though after playing so much COD.... shooting these people feels like shooting bullet sponges. Which is ultimately why I left the game. BF5 had a really nice TTK at launch. The devs attempted to change it twice with the 2nd attempt but somewhat permanent. This effectively made it so that most guns were useless at range. As for COD? Well with warzone out, it shows that you can still have a good TTK even at a distance that feels rewarding with the proper aiming. DICE, took the other route where they nullify distance killing unless you have a sniper or rifle. 12 bullets to kill someone with the STG44 at a distance... OK

Also BF1 is amazing and it seems to be really divisive. I am gonna say it, BF1>BF4

Last edited:
Top Bottom