• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Badly Battlefield 5 REALLY Failed

"I still remember the week where the challenge's reward was a red hat". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's amazing what a dumpster fire this game was, and turns out no one is playing it. No wonder support is stopping. In the video they mention that at one point the total peak players for xbox for the WHOLE WORLD was ~2500 players.

Eat shit DICE/EA, lean how to make games again. And stick your politics where it belongs, up your arse.

Last edited:

Stuart360

What I cant wrap my head around is how did they manage to get success with Battlefield 1 and blow away the competition and then 2 years later release a total shit show that nobody wants. COD BLOPS4 isnt even that good of a COD game and it destroyed BF5.
A lot of people didnt like Battlefield 1 either, after coming from Battlefield 3 and 4. They just hated V even more.

Loke

Glad I never bought this pile of wank even though the WW2 setting had me hyped. I guess that reveal trailer destroyed all of my hope.

Battlefield 1 was pretty decent but it's still sad how much this franchise has fallen. Battlefield 2 was seriously one of my favourite game when it came out, nowadays I couldn't give a damn about these games.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
How did it do financially overall? He's citing some concurrent players but I wonder how well it sold overall.

I admit I bought it day one. A bad idea for me. I quickly lost interest because it seemed like every mechanic was implemented poorly. Some maps were designed in a way that didn't make sense. Why are you funneling an entire team through tiny channels while the other team can bomb us from the air with impunity and have ranged advantage? And when you're on the team with the stacked odds it felt boring. Killing loads of people with no challenge at all.

It also kept up the problem of Battlefield since Bad Company: the ground vehicles are made of tissue paper. You shouldn't feel more vulnerable in a tank. Tanks were a trivial joke to destroy.

The last time I tried to play on Origin it took around 30 minutes to find a game, and when I finally got in about six players were in it including me. I uninstalled it and never looked back. I didn't even see the Pacific expansion.

Edit: also the rampant cheating got pretty wild and never seemed to be addressed

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
The game was just lifeless to me. It felt like more of BF1.

Super keen to see what they come up with as a result though. Call Of Dity: Modern Warfare 2019 was really well received so they will have tough competition.

How did it do financially overall? He's citing some concurrent players but I wonder how well it sold overall.

Not well is my guess. Remember the 50% off sale ~2 months after release?

EA can come with their corporate speak aimed at shareholders about how well the game sold all they want, but no game in world is 50% off 2 months after launch if it is doing well.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Not well is my guess. Remember the 50% off sale ~2 months after release?

EA can come with their corporate speak aimed at shareholders about how well the game sold all they want, but no game in world is 50% off 2 months after launch if it is doing well.

I didn't know it went on sale so quickly. The way Origin is, you load it up and there's all your games in huge icons. I never saw the price of it after I bought it.

Connxtion

I didn't know it went on sale so quickly. The way Origin is, you load it up and there's all your games in huge icons. I never saw the price of it after I bought it.
Yup it was even quicker on Xbox, I paid £57 (got money off for owning BF1, digital only) was pissed as the game was not what I expected and felt weird to play.

I have been a BF day oner since bad company days, but BF5 has tarnished that. They totally screwed this game time and time again. They need to get grid of this crap live service game crud. And give me back my premium and a better game.

BF1 is still very good to this day, haven’t touched BF5 in a long time now. (Not even Installed)
Edit: spelling

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
From my perspective every BF since BF3 (maybe 4) was a step down - And I (the idiot) has bought BF I and BF:V, played both for a couple of hours and never touched those games again...

Agreed. I also bought both shitty games lol. But at least i got them cheaper a few months after launch.

Psykodad

Banned
Lack of unlockable customisations killed the game.

Absolutely no incentive to keep playing the game.
I actually blame the community for it because it's a direct result of the initial customisation/female backlash because people were so hellbent on "authenticity".

Last edited:

Boss Mog

From my perspective every BF since BF3 (maybe 4) was a step down - And I (the idiot) has bought BF I and BF:V, played both for a couple of hours and never touched those games again...
Agreed. I also bought both shitty games lol. But at least i got them cheaper a few months after launch.
Yeah absolutely. A lot of people insist BF1 was good but they are just deluding themselves as far as I'm concerned. BFV sucks because it's not much different from BF1 which sucked, period. Neither of those games felt like Battlefield because there's very few vehicles, usually only 1 or 2 tanks per side at once. It felt more like "Small Skirmish" rather than "Battlefield". BF is known for hectic all out war, with action going on everywhere. That just doesn't happen in BF1 or BFV, which is why the "gameplay" trailers for it are just made up in-engine scenes that don't reflect gameplay at all.

Compare that to the gameplay trailer for BF4:

This is all actual gameplay footage with the HUD and everything, they can do that because BF4 gameplay is that thrilling, with tons of infantry and vehicles all over the place going at it.

Last edited:
Yeah absolutely. A lot of people insist BF1 was good but they are just deluding themselves as far as I'm concerned. BFV sucks because it's not much different from BF1 which sucked, period. Neither of those games felt like Battlefield because there's very few vehicles, usually only 1 or 2 tanks per side at once. It felt more like "Small Skirmish" rather than "Battlefield". BF is known for hectic all out war, with action going on everywhere. That just doesn't happen in BF1 or BFV, which is why the "gameplay" trailers for it are just made up in-engine scenes that don't reflect gameplay at all.

This is all actual gameplay footage with the HUD and everything, they can do that because BF4 gameplay is that thrilling, with tons of infantry and vehicles all over the place going at it.

People keep singing Battlefields 4 praises but that launch was so bad it was unforgivable IMO🤷🏾‍♂️...esp in a launch window for consoles. I shouldn't have to wait for developers to fix a mostly multiplayer game months after launch.

Last edited:
A lot of people didnt like Battlefield 1 either, after coming from Battlefield 3 and 4. They just hated V even more.
Yea but BF 1 still commercially did very well. It sold 15 million copies..BF 4 sold about half of that. BF1 was a way bigger hit than some like to admit. BF V was a fucking disaster.

Boss Mog

People keep singing Battlefields 4 praises but that launch was so bad it was unforgivable IMO🤷🏾‍♂️...esp in a launch window for consoles. I shouldn't have to wait for developers to fix a mostly multiplayer game months after launch.
Yeah the launch was rough, rubberbanding on Lancang Dam was horrible, but despite that me and my friends still played it cause were were having so much fun those times when the game worked decently. But me and my friends played BF4 for 1.5 years straight almost because the PS4 lineup was kind of barebones at the time. The PS4 was basically a BF4 box for the first 18 months for me. So yeah those few months sucked but when I look back at all the time I spent on the game they don't account for much or ruin my fond memories of it. In fact the only reason I really stopped playing it is because they took out the ladders and elevators in the Team Deathmatch maps, and back then I was spending about as much time playing TDM as Conquest, so when TDM became unplayable for me I lost interest, plus PS4 was starting to have good games and BF Hardline came out which was an underrated, underappreciated gem in my opinion.

Yeah the launch was rough, rubberbanding on Lancang Dam was horrible, but despite that me and my friends still played it cause were were having so much fun those times when the game worked decently. But me and my friends played BF4 for 1.5 years straight almost because the PS4 lineup was kind of barebones at the time. The PS4 was basically a BF4 box for the first 18 months for me. So yeah those few months sucked but when I look back at all the time I spent on the game they don't account for much or ruin my fond memories of it. In fact the only reason I really stopped playing it is because they took out the ladders and elevators in the Team Deathmatch maps, and back then I was spending about as much time playing TDM as Conquest, so when TDM became unplayable for me I lost interest, plus PS4 was starting to have good games and BF Hardline came out which was an underrated, underappreciated gem in my opinion.
I stilled played alot as well but I was so damn angry about those connection issues. Esp cause PS4 was barebones. It knocked alot of hype out of the release. Good thing COD Ghosts was so bad. You like Hardline more than BF1??? I hated Hardline but that's what I love about gaming. Different strokes for different folks👍🏽

Last edited:
Regardless I think we can all agree that BFV is atrocious. People keep mentioning the SJW debacle but that's not even what the real issues were. The map designs are bad. The TTK is warped. The customization is some clown shit. Even the colors in this game feel a bit oversaturated. Some of the new movement mechanics are janky as hell. The campaign is the absolute worst I've ever played in any BF game. This game just was not fun and it's a shame. Cmon it's WW2 there's TONS of material.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I admit I bought it day one. A bad idea for me. I quickly lost interest because it seemed like every mechanic was implemented poorly. Some maps were designed in a way that didn't make sense. Why are you funneling an entire team through tiny channels while the other team can bomb us from the air with impunity and have ranged advantage? And when you're on the team with the stacked odds it felt boring. Killing loads of people with no challenge at all.

It also kept up the problem of Battlefield since Bad Company: the ground vehicles are made of tissue paper. You shouldn't feel more vulnerable in a tank. Tanks were a trivial joke to destroy.

The last time I tried to play on Origin it took around 30 minutes to find a game, and when I finally got in about six players were in it including me. I uninstalled it and never looked back. I didn't even see the Pacific expansion.

Edit: also the rampant cheating got pretty wild and never seemed to be addressed

I bought it at release for full price. A week later the same store I bought it at (Best Buy) and several others dropped it to half price. I’ve never seen a game drop in price that much that quick.

Portugeezer

Regardless I think we can all agree that BFV is atrocious. People keep mentioning the SJW debacle but that's not even what the real issues were. The map designs are bad. The TTK is warped. The customization is some clown shit. Even the colors in this game feel a bit oversaturated. Some of the new movement mechanics are janky as hell. The campaign is the absolute worst I've ever played in any BF game. This game just was not fun and it's a shame. Cmon it's WW2 there's TONS of material.
I agree, not much to do with going woke, it is just not an exciting game.

I didn't buy because it looks like a BF1 reskin, which itself felt like it wanted badly to be a WW2 game.

Airbus Jr

Banned
BFV failed because of DICE woke agenda

Look at DICE show couple wars ago

They are making fun their own player in a conference

If you attack your own userbase like that they re gona leave you

"If you dont like it dont buy it"

That the message they send and were just following their own advice

Last edited:

INC

pretty much

the GFX maybe technically better than BF1, but at least in BF1 i could see people, overall i think BF1 works better from a art style point of view, BFV is just a mess of saturation and weird contrast

only time BFV worked ok and played ok was the preorder servers, and then they moved the game on to normal servers, and it went to shit, 1 frame deaths, huge lag compensation, which was then made even worse once they started shutting regional servers (UK etc etc)

i mean who makes a WW2 game, with no iconic WW2 battles at launch? who gives a shit about Norway as a location? none of the maps are 'classic' BF maps, even BF1 had maps like amiens, that id love to seein future BF titles as a classic remastered map. i cant think of any BFV maps id like to see in future title

Boss Mog

BFV failed because of DICE woke agenda

Look at DICE show couple wars ago

They are making fun their own player in a conference

If you attack your own userbase like that they re gona leave you

"If you dont like it dont buy it"

That the message they send and were just following their own advice
Sure, it contributed, but the main reason it failed is because it's not a very good or fun game.

cormack12

Gold Member
BF1 was really good. BF V was ok, but I don't think they picked the best maps or settings. They also introduced weird shit like fortifications, and that initial trailer for marketing was about as far removed from a BF reveal as you could go. The garish colours, the face painting, the acrobatics and the prosthetics just kind of left everyone with a 'what type of game is this going to be' taste in their mouth. Then it got derailed into the whole women/war argument for months and comlpetely killed any other hype/marketing.

Let's not forget the actual blurb that came from their head of marketing:

In an interview with Gamasutra, EA chief creative officer Patrick Soderlund took on the controversy directly:

On the [women] in Battlefield, this is something that the development team pushed. Battlefield V is a lot about the unseen, the untold, the unplayed. The common perception is that there were no women in World War II. There were a ton of women who both fought in World War II and partook in the war.

These are people who are uneducated—they don’t understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game. And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn’t been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman].

And we don’t take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don’t understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don’t buy the game. I’m fine with either or. It’s just not ok.

And the issue was that there was no outcry about playing as Zara Ghufran. No-one has issues with women in call of duty. no-one has issues with female avatars in Fortnite. The argument is off. It also makes no nod or statement to long time battlefield players who were annoyed with the trailer because of the above, reduction in factions, reduction in game modes, having content patched in later as an afterthought after being promised (e.g. the battel royale). When you insult your users liek above but also ignore the legitimate concerns and make out this is the only reason people were having a pop at the game then yeah there will be backlash.

I think I clocked 60 hours all in all, and it's basically been refactored into a lone wolf game, with people chasing challenges balanced by probably half of your team wanting to play the objective. So neither side are completely appeased. If anything, we're seeing a disregard of loyal players to bring in new markets in lots of games. If that's the direction, so be it, but then you have to manage that relationship. I gave God of War a chance, the new direction is not for me. so I won't purchase the next one.

SleepDoctor

Banned

Yea i kept holding out hope we'd get a decent game and got disappointed every time. Its like they forgot how to make a good game. Battlefield 4 was a buggy mess but it is still miles better than V or 1.

Dice has gone to shit. I remember an interview where they said something about not knowing what everyone loved so much about Bad Company 2.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I skipped the game, but gave it a try over Origin Access a few months ago. It was awful. The game is just not fun at all, and this is after a year of extra work and post-release development. I don't even know if DICE is capable of making a game as good as BC2 or BF3 anymore.

Last edited:

SantaC

Message to developers / publishers - I am not buying any forced SJW nonsense games this coming generation. At best I will play them within gamepass.
DICE got a lot of hate for not catering to SJW during BF3 and BF4. So many people complained at no playable women in multiplayer lol.

Embark studios took the best people anyway.

Last edited:

Sota4077

I would agree with that. I did enjoy BF 1 more than I expected to, but I gave up on that game pretty quickly.

Man, i wish we'd get a vietnam themed Battlefield. I enjoyed both the original and the Bad company 2 versions. That war is seldom seen in games.

PotatoNade

Neo Member
I never played BF V and have no interest in it. BF3 and BF4 were really fun and I have a ton of hours in them. They need to find what made them successful and get back to it.

Liljagare

They should remaster BattleField 2 imho, the best of the lot, and revisit the future game, it was a lot of fun.

"I still remember the week where the challenge's reward was a red hat". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's amazing what a dumpster fire this game was, and turns out no one is playing it. No wonder support is stopping. In the video they mention that at one point the total peak players for xbox for the WHOLE WORLD was ~2500 players.

Eat shit DICE/EA, lean how to make games again. And stick your politics where it belongs, up your arse.

Jesus Christ that's atrocious.

Does everything EA touch turn to shit??

What I cant wrap my head around is how did they manage to get success with Battlefield 1 and blow away the competition and then 2 years later release a total shit show that nobody wants. COD BLOPS4 isnt even that good of a COD game and it destroyed BF5.

Yeah man. I been playing Battlefield since my big brother used to let me hop on his pc and run through 1942...and with BF4 i was like..theyre really about to give cod a run for its money....then for BF1 and bfv...it feels like they never played their own games smh

Im hoping bf6 is modern, brings back the fun, and doesnt feel out of touch.

Top Bottom