• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Arkane plan to use the extra power of next gen for deathloop

Redlight

Surprised by the negativity from a lot of people around this game.

Personally, I think it looks and sounds like a fun concept. I hope it's as novel as they've made it sound in trailers. Like a fully fleshed out version of the Mooncrash DLC from Prey. A tight well designed set of levels with freeform objectives you have to figure out how to best solve. Like a giant puzzle. No idea how the MP aspect will tie in though.

The visuals aren't mind blowing but I've always enjoyed their artstyle, and this doesn't look to be an exception. I much prefer them spending time making a good polished game at 60 FPS rather than prioritising visuals and compromising on game design and performance.
I suspect a certain recent purchase may have influenced people's opinions.

TonyK

Both Dishonored and Dishonored 2 are genuinely brilliant games, this dev hasn't made a bad game, Sony have seen this game and paid for an exclusive deal. You think they would do that for a "disaster" of a game? 😂
I love Dishonored 1, 2 and Prey. I love Arkane. But this game has something that, first, it doesn't seem to be from Arkane, and two, is not appealing.

I wish it will be a great game and a success, but I feel it will be a disaster in sales regardless of game quality. I want this prediction to be wrong but this is what I feel since the first day I saw the game.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Am i the only one that doesn't think it looks next gen in the slightest? i was completely and utterly underwhelmed, meh doesnt even cut it

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Game looks like last gen trash. It's shocking to see them admit that they decided not to push visuals because they didn't want to take any risks.

Crazy how they are using 5x more gpu power and 7x more cpu power to just get a 20 fps boost.

No wonder arkane studios isn't revered by anyone. B studios get treated like b studios.
Arkane is revered by hardcore gamers everywhere. Prey and the Dishonored series are big hits with hardcore gamers.

I'm not super into Deathloop, but they make interesting games with unique gameplay elements, so I know itll have something interesting going on. Can't wait to see what this team does with Microsoft backing them.

cormack12

Gold Member
Unusually the more I see of this, the more I kinda dig it. I'm not usually that type of person, but I like the sandbox approach. Like it's trying to make that perfect run through of all 8 targets. I'm not sure I like the grind apsect (needing to die to unlock more abilities etc.) but I think this could be fun. Not £70 fun, but if it's £40 I think I'd insta-buy. £50 is a bit more itchy beard before purchase.

DonJorginho

Banned
Unusually the more I see of this, the more I kinda dig it. I'm not usually that type of person, but I like the sandbox approach. Like it's trying to make that perfect run through of all 8 targets. I'm not sure I like the grind apsect (needing to die to unlock more abilities etc.) but I think this could be fun. Not £70 fun, but if it's £40 I think I'd insta-buy. £50 is a bit more itchy beard before purchase.

If you're a PS Plus member it's £53.99 until launch day before going to £60, get a top up card from ShopTo and you end up only paying £48.84 in total for the price it is now.

Most likely Sunset Overdrive just isn't deemed to be worth the effort when Insomniac has several much more successful IPs to be working on.
Yet they thought it was appropriate to port the game to PC, a quick Wiki search shows that a sequel (maybe even the IP in general) aren't a priority for Sony and Insomniac, so you're right, as much as I don't like that decision.

I personally will speculate that it was more of a Sony decision, as Sunset Overdrive garnered wide praise. Now what is Insomniac doing? Spider-Man? I think they could do much more.

Kuranghi

The Dualsense trigger, when it jams:

1 Fsv Mainz 05 Wtf GIF by Bundesliga

To go along with what Kanye said, if you are in the UK and have PS Plus, you can buy this £100 card for £84.99, you can pretend its that Nintendo Switch golden ticket voucher:

edit - removed the URL in case thats not allowed, but its CDKeys + go to "psn" at top and then "psn topup cards", then choose your region.

Last edited:

shubik

The more I see and hear about this game the more I´m into it. Arkane so far has not disappointed me. So probably a day one buy for me.

Yet they thought it was appropriate to port the game to PC, a quick Wiki search shows that a sequel (maybe even the IP in general) aren't a priority for Sony and Insomniac, so you're right, as much as I don't like that decision.

I personally will speculate that it was more of a Sony decision, as Sunset Overdrive garnered wide praise. Now what is Insomniac doing? Spider-Man? I think they could do much more.

Compare Spider-Man or Ratchet and Clank sales to Sunset Overdrive. Even Resistance Fall of Man sequels are more likely than Sunset Overdrive. Especially, when Sony already has Infamous, which is vastly superior to Sunset Overdrive.

Compare Spider-Man or Ratchet and Clank sales to Sunset Overdrive. Even Resistance Fall of Man sequels are more likely than Sunset Overdrive. Especially, when Sony already has Infamous, which is vastly superior to Sunset Overdrive.
But does Infamous have the charm?

Sales-wise it only did poorly on Xbox because it released when Xbox One was really lagging behind PS4 has far as sales were concerned IMO. I'm sure it did well enough on PC.

700k sales + maybe another 700k warrants a sequel and, as far as new IP's go, it was successful enough.

Redlight

...Like a fully fleshed out version of the Mooncrash DLC from Prey.
I just watched that timeloop trailer and you're bang on. I was lukewarm about the 'loop' style of Mooncrash but took a chance during a gaming drought. I was blown away by it by the end, super entertaining and interesting. One of the better DLC's I've ever completed.

Gandih42

I just watched that timeloop trailer and you're bang on. I was lukewarm about the 'loop' style of Mooncrash but took a chance during a gaming drought. I was blown away by it by the end, super entertaining and interesting. One of the better DLC's I've ever completed.

Had the exact same experience with it, picked it up due to some strong recommendations and was blown away. Definitely wasn't perfect, but a really great well designed DLC that took some chances and tried something new.

I think the general premise of a smaller game world consisting of tightly designed connected levels, with systems based gameplay and open objectives at AA or AAA budget is really appealing. That's part of the reason I'm excited to see how Deathloop shapes up. Not many developers seem to be doing this particular style of game.

Top Bottom