• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How About That Weather?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Are you staying warm? There's a massive snow storm going across the US with an arctic blast originating from Serbia.

Thankfully, the Mrs and I are home safe & cozy. We're going to enjoy the day by playing a few games. I'm trying to convince her to pick up Elden Ring so I can watch her play.

Here's a quick look at the situation going on right now:
h9efVyn.png

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Tonight it's supposed to be bad here (half an inch of ice, which is unheard of for my location) but then tomorrow it's supposed to get back up to 50F so 🤷‍♂️ Hoping we don't lose power, but I've got a 80000mAh "portable generator" (basically a really, really big battery bank) so I can keep playing my Switch and Steam Deck even if the power goes out. Priorities.

Hope GAF is staying warm.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Driving to work today was interesting. Experienced a very specific combination of powdery snow with 50 mph winds (which happened to be 26 degree below 0 wind chill).

I drove for stretches of 2-3 minutes solid just off memory. Literally never seen anything like it. Was like I was just driving through clouds. The ground was just a big cloud. Couldn't see a thing. Just felt like I was floating down the road.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Casper, Wyoming

(Mountain time)

In less than 18 hours, from 7:40 a.m. Wednesday to 1:35 a.m. Thursday, the temperature dropped 70 degrees.

7:40 a.m. Wednesday: 28 degrees.

8 a.m. Wednesday: 3 degrees.

Casper dropped 25 degrees in just 20 minutes Wednesday.

1:35 a.m. Thursday: minus 42 degrees

6:00 a.m. Thursday: minus 35 degrees with a wind chill of minus 76 degrees.

Denver

(Mountain time)

Dropped 65 degrees in 16 hours.

12:58 p.m. Wednesday: 50 degrees.

4:58 a.m. Thursday: minus 15 degrees.

The largest plunge came when temperatures dropped 47 degrees in just two hours Wednesday from 46 degrees at 3:58 p.m. to minus 1 degree at 5:58 p.m.
Amarillo, Texas

(Central time)

Dropped 42 degrees in six hours.

11:53 p.m. Wednesday: 41 degrees.

5:53 a.m. Thursday: minus 1 degree.

The current wind chill this morning is minus 7 degrees.

Wichita, Kansas

(Central time)

Dropped 36 degrees in nine hours.

9:53 p.m. Wednesday: 34 degrees.

6:53 a.m. Thursday: minus 2 degrees.

However the temperature dropped 20 degrees from 32 to 12 in just one hour between 11:53 p.m. and 12:53 a.m. Wednesday night.

Temperatures are still falling and are expected to bottom out near minus 4 later Thursday morning.

Oklahoma City

(Central time)

Dropped 34 degrees in 14 hours.

4:52 p.m. (Wednesday): 42 degrees.

6:52 a.m. (Thursday): 8 degrees.

The biggest plunge was 23 degrees in just 2 hours early this morning when temperatures dropped from 37 at 2:52 a.m. to 14 degrees at 4:52 a.m.

Temperatures are expected to bottom out near 4 degrees later Thursday morning.

Sakura

It's fucking shit. Was like minus 15 yesterday, minus 10 today. Already a ton of snow, and now supposed to get another 20cm or so by satty.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The forecast has been significantly downgraded here in Chicago. They were saying 8-16 inches, but now it's down to 2-6.

Ain't nuttin.
Remember that blizzard in like February 2011? They closed I-57 and there were a myriad of cars stuck in the snow on Lakeshore Drive.

Catphish

Remember that blizzard in like February 2011? They closed I-57 and there were a myriad of cars stuck in the snow on Lakeshore Drive.
I remember it well. Those people had to abandon their cars on LSD. Wild shit.

As for me, I had to walk a half-mile in that shit to True Value because someone stole my shovel. :messenger_pouting:

Was a fucking wonderland in the neighborhood, though. Kids everywhere were having the time of their lives. That was cool to see.

Shoveled for hours and, if memory serves, it all melted away within a few days.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I remember it well. Those people had to abandon their cars on LSD. Wild shit.

As for me, I had to walk a half-mile in that shit to True Value because someone stole my shovel. :messenger_pouting:

Was a fucking wonderland in the neighborhood, though. Kids everywhere were having the time of their lives. That was cool to see.

Shoveled for hours and, if memory serves, it all melted away within a few days.
Wasn't much fun for me then either. I worked a route from I-39 to Rockford...closed the office and the highway. Once all the heavy snow fell, the temps dropped below the line and turned snow mounds into ice.

MacReady13

Might sound insensitive to some, especially if you're doing it tough now with those storms (and I hope you're all ok) but I would take snow storms ANY DAY over the fucking heat we are about to get here in Melbourne! We actually haven't really hit summer yet, but it's coming and I cannot stand the heat. We don't get snow here although yesterday where I live, we have 3 bouts of hail stones! And on a tin roof, it sounded amazing!

Fbh

The winter here was terrible but everyone was like "oh it usually means the summer will be good".

...it has been raining for like 3 weeks.

bitbydeath

It’s actually cool in Australia and it’s supposed to be summer here. It’s a Christmas miracle, either that or global cooling is upon us.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Haha! Yea, that's not entirely uncommon in Wyoming during the winter and I contend it's a massive reason why it's the least populated state in the US. Winds during the winter in Wyoming can easily get between 50 and 80 mph on nasty days and you WILL see semis flipped over on the highways.
Same where I’m at (close-ish to WY). I hate driving in this type of weather and would def recommend anyone to stay off the road if they aren’t accustomed to those conditions. With the cold, a person could die really easily if they get stranded.

I saw a vehicle rollover from Mississippi on the Ryan Hall livestream. Quite common here with people who do know the conditions well.

This is one to avoid by all means.

I love WY and would happily move there any day. :messenger_heart:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Got a light dusting last night, but so damn cold it was slicker than snot and had to put the truck in 4WD to get up our driveway coming back from my parents’ house. I think we’re far enough west we missed the worst of the cold though. Good luck frigid GAF

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
We were supposed to get a foot here but wound up with nothing. -40 and high winds are the danger here now.
Here in the UK I've only seen a foot of snow twice in forty years. I have spent most of my life on the south coast though. I imagine that is the norm for your winters in America?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Here in the UK I've only seen a foot of snow twice in forty years. I have spent most of my life on the south coast though. I imagine that is the norm for your winters in America?
Depends on the region. This is a weird one because of how massive it is.

I get snow every year so this isn’t a normal conditions here (except the very low negative temps). I’m accustomed to like -10 to 30-something. I actually enjoy the winter.

My wife and I laughed our asses off. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Mistake

Nothing where I am yet, but I have plenty of gas for the generator just in case. Got books and fire, so no power for a while is not much of a big deal

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Some travel & tow bans in MN & IA. Check your NWS & DOT prior to travel. You may risk being stuck if you end up in the ditch. This is not a joke folks. Negative temps overnight can and will kill.

efk6w30nmk7a1.jpg

Last edited:

Cohetedor

In the middle of a blizzard warning here in western Michigan, most places closed earlier today to avoid it, except where I work they're going to close tomorrow at 8am. That means I get to stay my full shift until midnight and drive home 20miles with probably 0 visibility. It's nasty out there.

I'm currently stuck as it's coming. My ride isn't able to get down due to car issues, and Uber wants $45 for me to get home, and the Hotel is $60+.

Most likely when the storm gets worse I'll be stuck here overnight, the power is already flickering too.

So not sure what to do about that, I hope I don't get sick. Not to mention the whole day tomorrow is going to be freezing with negative temp wind chills.

Just my luck. No way home and stuck in a commercial building next to the suburbs.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm currently stuck as it's coming. My ride isn't able to get down due to car issues, and Uber wants $45 for me to get home, and the Hotel is $60+.

Most likely when the storm gets worse I'll be stuck here overnight, the power is already flickering too.

So not sure what to do about that, I hope I don't get sick. Not to mention the whole day tomorrow is going to be freezing with negative temp wind chills.

Just my luck. No way home and stuck in a commercial building next to the suburbs.
Stay warm and find lodging soon.

Bleh it's been cold here for days now in Calgary. And what is up with you fucks in the USA still on the freedom F temps. Whats so difficult that you can't figure out that 0 degrees Celsius water freezes and at 100 degrees Celsius water boils. How does that not make sense to you.
When Canada gets to the moon, we’ll consider it.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Yeah, shit's got me nervous, not gonna lie. It's 2 am here in Georgia, raining, winds like a hurricane, and the high this afternoon is supposed to be 19, which means all that rain will be frozen later.

What concerns me, though, is a power outage. In this town where I live, it happens quite a bit when we get weather like this. People go apeshit, using waaaay too much electricity. We're just not equipped for that down here. And they obviously don't drip their faucets 'cause we also lose water often during extreme cold weather.

TylerD

Same where I’m at (close-ish to WY). I hate driving in this type of weather and would def recommend anyone to stay off the road if they aren’t accustomed to those conditions. With the cold, a person could die really easily if they get stranded.

I saw a vehicle rollover from Mississippi on the Ryan Hall livestream. Quite common here with people who do know the conditions well.

This is one to avoid by all means.

I love WY and would happily move there any day. :messenger_heart:

Wyoming truly seems both brutal and beautiful. I watched some travelogue videos around various WY towns from Lord Spoda on YouTube recently and it pretty much made me fall for the place.

---

Nothing too crazy here. I see at my house back in San Antonio it's in the 20s. I turned off my water and drained my pipes before I left last weekend to visit my family in rural Oklahoma. We had -20 to -25 F with wind chill early Thursday morning with the front going through here. Just cold now.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Might sound insensitive to some, especially if you're doing it tough now with those storms (and I hope you're all ok) but I would take snow storms ANY DAY over the fucking heat we are about to get here in Melbourne! We actually haven't really hit summer yet, but it's coming and I cannot stand the heat. We don't get snow here although yesterday where I live, we have 3 bouts of hail stones! And on a tin roof, it sounded amazing!

Hand in your Australian membership card immediately.

I can’t wait to get out of this cold, drizzly British shit, and back into some steamy tropical Queensland shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom