• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How About That Weather?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
So I thought us Eurogaffers should support our American brethren throughout the terrible Xmas weather, so for the occasion I wrote a song and maybe we can form an impromptu band and sing it together. We'll call it 'band aid' (geddit?) and Bono has agreed to join us for the chorus, if he can keep awake for long enough.

Here are the lyrics:

It's Christmas time
There's no need to be afraid
At Christmas time
We let in light and we banish shade
And in our world of plenty
We can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world
At Christmas time

But say a prayer
Pray for the other ones
At Christmas time it's hard
But when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing
Is the icy sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring there
Are the frozen chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you!

There's too much snow in America
This Christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life
Even Rudolf's nose don't glow
Thanks to all this fucking snow
Do they know it's Christmas time at all?
Tonight thank god it is them instead of you.

bono GIF

Last edited:

QSD

Tonight thank god it is them instead of you.

bono GIF
Yeah that line would not make it past the censors today :)
nor most of the other lyrics for that matter.

Anyway I just got home from a nice dinner + GDT's Pinocchio with a ladyfriend and now I've got GAF gold. Thanks kind stranger, this has been the best Christmas eve in a long time.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I was in the middle of this driving through Oklahoma on Thursday. Drove over about 100 miles of ice, stopped for gas and the pumps were so frozen you couldn’t even type on the keypad because the buttons were solid ice.

Then when I got home in Nashville it started snowing and hit -1.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Yeah that line would not make it past the censors today :)
nor most of the other lyrics for that

It’s the best line in the song. The guilt trip amplified to infinity.

Bob Geldof knew what he was doing when he made Bono sing it.

Reactions: QSD

QSD

It’s the best line in the song. The guilt trip amplified to infinity.

Bob Geldof knew what he was doing when he made Bono sing it.
LOL they way they describe the entire continent of Africa, from the banks of the Nile to goddamn Cape of Good Hope as a place "where nothing ever grows, where rain nor rivers flow". I mean, there's overselling it, and then there's this. But, you're right, it worked like a charm.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
A collection of the stuff Reed Timmer saw yesterday in Buffalo. Again, some crazy footage. I hope everyone in Buffalo is safe and warm.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Holy shit, dude. I'm so sorry. They take refuge somewhere? What's going on with them?

They're good. They have a house in Florida they go to in the winter. The Buffalo weather forecast shows it's supposed to warm up starting Wednesday so all that stuff will melt, then we'll get to see if the house is damaged. Our neighbor in that picture had a giant tree hit her house so everyone's hoping her insurance will cover it. Apparently it did some structural damage. Lake Erie usually gets a nasty wind storm once or twice every fall but I can't remember one ever being this bad. Apparently 20k people in the Buffalo area have no power as of yesterday.

Merry Christmas everyone except Mother Nature!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, thats a lie.
Except for that one time they called in the army.
Nothing compared to the Buffalo area every year. You dont get people buried in 4 ft of snow and dying in cars.

There's been hardly any snow in the GTA so far and today it was even a + celcius day and leftover snow was melting.

Dont believe me? Here's a weather snippet from CP24.com right now. It's 0C here and it's 12:25 am.

X4Jr2DR.jpg

And here's our 5 day forecast till the weekend. In the next day or two there will be zero snow on the ground. And what ever snow mounds there are will likely be washed away on the weekend.

2eKiIVK.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Wife: why did the gas bill triple month over month??

Me: it’s been cold as shit and we don’t all leave the house five days week anymore so we run the heater more. But our lack of commuting makes up for it and-

Wife: do you think we have a gas leak??

😑
-40 temps will do that. I'm dreading to see my bill. :messenger_grimmacing_

Nothing compared to the Buffalo area every year. You dont get people buried in 4 ft of snow and dying in cars.

There's been hardly any snow in the GTA so far and today it was even a + celcius day and leftover snow was melting.

Dont believe me? Here's a weather snippet from CP24.com right now. It's 0C here and it's 12:25 am.

X4Jr2DR.jpg

And here's our 5 day forecast till the weekend. In the next day or two there will be zero snow on the ground. And what ever snow mounds there are will likely be washed away on the weekend.

2eKiIVK.jpg
Buffalo has to be the most hardcore place in the lower 48 for winter.

holy shit. i thought it was bad here being -10c for a couple days :messenger_tears_of_joy: but you americans always told me how worse you were off when it comes to weather so not too surprising.

as i get old i think i'm quite happy where i am (scotland). -10C is the coldest it gets and 29C is about as hot as it gets. those temperatures are more than enough for me. fuck going anywhere colder or warmer.

yey climate change though!

My parents just texted me this. Their house about 30 minutes outside of Buffalo.

IoBrQry.jpg
well that doesn't look good.

i take it that it's not just a case of defrosting the house and that there will be serious damage repairs?

during our cold weather i was upset i had a small wet patch on my ceiling :messenger_tears_of_joy: i'm glad i don't need to completely defrost my house!

Zathalus

My first winter in the Netherlands (coming from South Africa) and I'm honestly a bit disappointed. Thought it would be colder or at least I would see some snow.

Catphish

One week later, I finally have water back in my kitchen and laundry area.

This was supposed to be a relaxing week off of work. Maybe I can salvage the next couple of days.

Lessons learned, the hard way. Wrap the pipes, and run the water when it gets that cold.

I'm now taking my first relaxed breaths since last fucking Friday.

My deepest condolences to those who are still dealing with the aftermath of this shit.

Shubh_C63

Only a matter of time, maybe in 25 years where we will see regular floods, office and work disrupted for few months and people moving in and out to highlands and back to avoid the same.

And we will still treat that as normal lifestyle we need to get used to.

Pagusas

Elden Member
One week later, I finally have water back in my kitchen and laundry area.

This was supposed to be a relaxing week off of work. Maybe I can salvage the next couple of days.

Lessons learned, the hard way. Wrap the pipes, and run the water when it gets that cold.

I'm now taking my first relaxed breaths since last fucking Friday.

My deepest condolences to those who are still dealing with the aftermath of this shit.
I highly recommend buying a recirculating pump for the house. $500, will protect internal pipes and as a bonus, instant hot water everywhere :) (though your gas bill will go slightly up, we have a tankless water heater and the additional monthly cost was only a few dollars of gas).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So far so good. Hardly any snow so far. Outside right now is cold but clear. Only shoveled the snow a few times in Dec (I think maybe even once in Nov?) but it was so little snow I could had done the lazy boy route and let it melt over the next few days. But I typically shovel fast in case it freezes into ice. Technically, I could had shoveled zero times if I just left it.

Hoping Jan and Feb are the same thing!

Next 14 days look clear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom