• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Gucci trailer is out... and WTF is wrong with them?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well it looks like pretentious fashion stuff, and obviously as an old white dude I’m not the target market lol

The movie is not about fashion, it's about the murder of Maurizio Gucci by a hitman hired by his ex wife. I think this movie could be good. It seems to have a few things in common with All the Money in the World that also took place in Italy and was also about a super rich family. AtMitW was much better than I expected.

Jasper_Rose_808

Neo Member
This is not true anymore - smartphones and the pervasiveness of English in science and social studies mean that many Italians born since the mid 90s-early 2Ks can understand and use English a lot better than previous generations. It’s true, though, than many of them can’t be bothered to attempt to sound English, and many can’t conjugate verbs correctly if their lives depended on it. Still, the average level is way beyond what it was 20 years ago, mainly when it comes to understanding written English.

We’re still too racist ourselves to notice :messenger_grinning_sweat:
But seriously, we’re so used to being stereotyped that nobody’s going to understand why that may be considered a problem in another country.
Sadly, what I said is still true to this day, and the English level of the average young Italian is ridiculously low. Lately there was a lot of noise about the results of INVALSI of this year (basically a standardized test made for testing the knowledge of the average teenager in math, Italian and English) because the results are terrible, especially in the southern part of the country. Here some data for you about the competence in English of the average Italian high schooler: 51% doesn't reach the B2 level in reading and 63% doesn't reach the B2 level in listening; in the south the percentages increase even more reaching between 60%-68% in reading and between 71%-82% in listening.

"smartphones and the pervasiveness of English in science and social studies mean that many Italians born since the mid 90s-early 2Ks can understand and use English a lot better than previous generations." No man, you're too much optimistic, this didn't happen in Italy.
In the country in which the average citizen reads 1 or 3 books at most per year, do you really think that people use their smartphone for improving their English? To read things in English? Or that the average Italian reads or is interested in science or social studies, and they read about that in english? Unfortunately, this doesn't happen. I could discuss this further, but it'll take long and I don't want to write an infinite post about that now and here.

Scotty W

This is not true anymore - smartphones and the pervasiveness of English in science and social studies mean that many Italians born since the mid 90s-early 2Ks can understand and use English a lot better than previous generations. It’s true, though, than many of them can’t be bothered to attempt to sound English, and many can’t conjugate verbs correctly if their lives depended on it.
Sir, I have video evidence that refutes your hypothesis:

The Skull

Tried to get excited about this but the whole line gaga spouts about not being ethical but fair translated to "I will say some shit to make you think I am interesting, but I am not". Is it me or do they sound more russian than Italian 🤣.

Stoneberg7

Neo Member
Lady Gaga's ass mesmerized me when things went on too long.

All in all, I thought it was good, but could have been better with some tighter editing, which is my main complaint with most of modern Ridley Scott these days.

olivegirl

Neo Member
Did anyone else feel it ended kind of abruptly/weirdly? The jump from the murder to the trial was a bit much

Top Bottom