• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Wheels Unleashed "Skyscraper" trailer, screenshots, second gameplay environment revealed

Milestone has released a new trailer and screenshots for Hot Wheels Unleashed unveiling the “Skyscraper” gameplay environment.

In contrast to the first environment, the rusty and dark “Garage,” Skyscraper is based in a construction site where verticality takes center stage, and includes tracks set on three different floors of the building under construction.

The trailer also unveiled six new vehicles out of the over 60 available in the game at launch. The new cars are Bump Around, Mountain Mauler, Sandivore, Boom Car, Buns of Steel, Fast Gassin, and Motosaurus.

Hot Wheels Unleashed is due out for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam on September 30.

Watch the trailer below. View the screenshots at the gallery.

Hot-Wheels-Unleashed_2021_04-29-21_001.jpg
Hot-Wheels-Unleashed_2021_04-29-21_002.jpg

Hot-Wheels-Unleashed_2021_04-29-21_003.jpg
Hot-Wheels-Unleashed_2021_04-29-21_004.jpg

Hot-Wheels-Unleashed_2021_04-29-21_005.jpg

Not gonna lie, the boosting made me think of MotorStorm. It looks pretty decent.

Last edited:

CamHostage

They should let you replace the motor sounds with just different kids going, "Vrrrrrrroooooooooommmmmmmm...."

Looks fun. Sort of basic racing mechanics (and there's big draw-in at 1:15 that I hope is eliminated in the final,) just sort of line driving with a powerslide system and some boosts and a few shortcut systems, but it's cute and it's fast. I'm interested in seeing how the Track Builder functions.

Zannegan

The mid-air steering on that boost jump made me think of Excite-trucks, which is one of the most criminally underrated arcade racers, IMO.

I have no nostalgia for the cars themselves, but the game looks fun so far.

Hustler

Do kids even play with these anymore? I think it's solidly aimed at middle aged men.
Do kids still play with Hotwheels? Of course they do, maybe just younger than you think. My son played with them a ton up until he turned 6 or so.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Tracks look way too wide. Lacks intensity. But hey... "pre-alpha".

Could still be fun to play with the kids.

CamHostage

OK, now that's more like it! All the trailers so far have just shown regular tracks with loops (which doesn't seem to matter much since your car defies gravity) and some jumps, but the wind machines and the track divider are nice obstacles that could really mix up a race.

Looking forward to what can be done with this game in the Track Builder mode...

OK, now that's more like it! All the trailers so far have just shown regular tracks with loops (which doesn't seem to matter much since your car defies gravity) and some jumps, but the wind machines and the track divider are nice obstacles that could really mix up a race.

Looking forward to what can be done with this game in the Track Builder mode...

The track editor is the part that really interests me. I hope they have a share/matchmaking system with player generated content.

CamHostage

The track editor is the part that really interests me. I hope they have a share/matchmaking system with player generated content.
Sounds like it does have some of that.

CREATE THE SHAPE OF YOUR TRACK​

Waiting to host your races are enormous interactive environments with their own distinguishing features, where every object can become an integral part of the track.
Unleash your creativity with the most exciting track editor ever! Build your track by taking advantage of what surrounds you, and create amazing layouts inside and outside the race course. Bend and stretch the iconic "orange piece", add loops, special boosters, obstacles and special elements to make an incredible amusement park for your races.
Share your craziest creations online and try those of other players.

Raphael

Made by Milestone the folks behind MotoGP.

Oh God, i spent so much time with moto GP as a kid. Those guys still around?! This actually has me even more interested.

Edit: nevermind, sorry. I thought of stunt GP lol.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Looks a bit dull, needs weapons and powerups to spice things up.
God no. We don’t need yet another car combat game. Especially one that would be tacked on like the sonic racing games.

The most fun this game will have will be couch MP. That’s what I think this game is made for. Online MP too but not as much.

I think it’s refreshing to finally have a racing game that is ABOUT. RACING.

Not open world bullshit like Forza Horizon and Need 4 Speed have become. And not car combat which most devs can’t seem to do well for some reason. Besides we’ve had a ton of those over the past 5-7 years.

this looks like a lot of fun.

if you could buy a hot wheels car in a store and enter a code to get that car in the game, they would really be on to something.

LimanimaPT

Reminds me of Wipeout.
this looks like a lot of fun.

if you could buy a hot wheels car in a store and enter a code to get that car in the game, they would really be on to something.
This is actually a very good idea. In game purchases but at least we would get something real...
But hey, why do that? People would buy the virtual cars for $10 anyway in exchange for nothing...

Top Bottom