• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror Game Recommendations for Wife and I

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

PC is the evil lab where new horror games are grown and tested. Some of the greatest modern horror games are word-of-mouth hits and some of the most popular horror games of the last decade began as PC exclusives. To that end, we’ve selected the top 12 horror games you can play on PC right now. Some of these are horror classics that have influenced countless imitators, while others are still hidden gems that deserve to keep you up at night.

Here are our picks for the 12 best horror games on PC.

12. IMSCARED
11. The Cat Lady
10. Dead by Daylight
9. Amnesia
8. World of Horror
7. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
6. Five Nights at Freddy's
5. Pathologic
4. Phasmaphobia
3. Chilla's Art
2. Puppet Combo
1. Visage

Mozzarella

I have to wonder how can some people enjoy playing Horror games with others? My friends always play Horror games with each other and i cant comprehend how can they enjoy!! The whole purpose of Horror games is to immersive yourself into them to feel vulnerable and get scared or feel the tension, when another person is next to me i dont feel that at all and the game turns into a joke.
However i am not married so maybe with the love of your life its a different experience than with your friends.
With that said, i think those games are worth trying.

Alien Isolation
Resident Evil Remake, 2 Remake, 7, and 8
Amnesia TDD
Outlast
Visage
Inside
SOMA

Something that relies on scare factor and tense atmosphere, i dont think a lot of action is good for a duo playthrough for 2 close persons.

KiteGr

Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 2 remake
Resident Evil 7
Fatal Frame 1, 2 & 3 (ps2 games)
Until Dawn & the Dark pictures anthology in general.
Alien Isolation.
Song of Horror.
Little Nightmares 1 & 2
Dead Space 1 & 2

These are IMO the top choices.

mekes

Because it has been a while for you both with starting a family and all, I really recommend any of the recent games from SupperMassive. Until Dawn, Man of Medan, Little Hope are all good games. I recommend these to start because time might be at a premium and these games are great at keeping the entertainment coming. You can’t have a wasted hour on these games so if you need to suddenly finish because of kids etc, you’d have had some fun in the time you played and be able to pick right back up where you left off.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Updated recommendation: The Sinking City is now on sale on the PS Store. I bought the PS5 version (seems much upgraded over the last-gen version based on comparisons) and it's a fantastically atmospheric, fairly open-ended game that has enough narrative and characters to keep my wife invested.

How is Tormented Souls? I've been thinking about picking it up, but worry the voice acting will be so bad that it ruins the experience

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My son and I started playing The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope last night in "movie night mode", which was really fun.

Basically, it's a pass-the-controller multiplayer mode, where each person controls individual characters (you pick who controls which characters at the beginning of the game). Then - when that character is "active" the game instructs you to pass the controller to that person so they can make the choices / do the QTEs until it's the other player's turn again. It's a fun way to turn what would otherwise be a single-player experience (like Until Dawn was) into an engaging couch co-op.

Also - the next game House of Ashes comes out next week.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
mf3JMB1.jpg
He asked for horror games. Not 20 hours long, restoring power to door generators game... with a single most known alien in the history of the world.
How is something so known supposed to be scary ?!
Yes. I finished this shitty game. It would be good 5 hours game... but 20 ? cmon wtf

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

From the spooky to the absolute grotesque, here's the best horror games to scare yourself with right now.

Horror comes in so many tormenting forms. It can be psychological like Alan Wake, ghostly like Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, or over-the-top and fantastical like Resident Evil Village. Then, there's games so scary, that you'll be wincing every step of the way like in At Dead Of Night. With so many scary games on offer, Kurt Indovina put together a list of the best horror games to scare yourself stupid with right now. After all, it is Halloween season.

00:00 - Intro
00:22 - Alan Wake Remastered
01:20 - At Dead Of Night
04:45 - Phasmaphobia
06:14 - Resident Evil Village
07:13 - I-Spy Spooky Mansion

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

From Resident Evil and Silent Hill to Amnesia and PT, these games stand out as genre defining. While the horror genre was one of the earlier game genres, it has evolved over the years with new ideas and ways to spook players. These are the 13 games that defined horror.

Dave takes a look at a horror timeline, from the origins of horror with Mystery House to how Sweet Home and Alone in the Dark would inspire Resident Evil. Whether it be The 7th Guest inspiring the likes of D and Phantasmagoria or how Amnesia would inspire games like SOMA, Outlast, and Layers of Fear.

Aenima

Until Dawn is perfect to play with company. Thers many branching paths, characters that can die or stay alive depending of the player decisions, its great to make those decisions with company and experience the outcome.

If you want something more scary i would sugest the Fatal Frame/Project Zero series.

But if u want to experience true horror. Then you need a base Xbox One or base PS4 with Cyberpunk 2077.

Last edited:

TidusYuna

Supermassive Games The Dark Pictures Anthology games are perfect. Games like Until Dawn, Man of Medan, Little Hope, and House of Ashes, they are like Scary movies where you get to make the decisions like hide or run, get in the running car or hide behind the chainsaws etc. Here is a scary movie video game tip TS, just do the opposite of everything she recommends for the character that you want to survive until the end.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Any Mario Party. They've been proven to strengthen relationships and totally not cause divorces. You'll thank me afterwards.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would like to recommend these two games, especially Devotion. It’s about a Taiwanese family in the 1980’s. You travel to certain years and the apartment ages as you progress. It’s been one of the best psychological horror games I’ve played in years. The other one ParanormalHK was something I found after Devotion. I’m a big Silent Hill fan and Devotion hit the spot. You would need to purchase it from the developers website though. It got delisted from Steam, so all you’d find is their previous game Detention.

Spaceman292

Banned
You could say that about any single player game. Eg. Call of Duty campaign. You just walk a predetermined path until you trigger the next cutscene.

Silent Hill, you just walk a predetermined path until you trigger the next cutscene.

At least with Until Dawn your actions have consequences which can change up the cutscenes.
The difference is that other games have G A M E P L A Y

emivita

Hello, everyone. I'm looking for some horror recommendations for my wife and I. When we met, we bonded over watching horror movies all hours of the night. Shortly after we started dating, I got her into horror games and gaming. We started off with Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 7. It's been quite some time since we've played horror games together, with starting a family and all, but the release of Resident Evil 8 has reinvigorated our interest in the genre.

So what are some great games worthy of recommendation? There is no limit to the console/platform you make recommendations for. If you would like to posts GIFs, Youtube videos, or anything else to really "sell it", that would be great too!

If you haven't played RE3 Remake yet, play it. Ignore haters, it's a great game especially if played at Hardcore difficulty right away for that survival horror feel. And if you have already played the original, storyline is quite different (more different than RE2 vs RE2R).

Paasei

Amnesia The Dark Descent
SOMA
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Resident Evil series
Silent Hill

Some top horror games, that are actually scary/indredibly tense to play, without them relying on jump scares to be "scary".

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
He asked for horror games. Not 20 hours long, restoring power to door generators game... with a single most known alien in the history of the world.
Yes. I finished this shitty game. It would be good 5 hours game... but 20 ? cmon wtf

For myself half the fun came from walking/sneaking around just ogling the visuals. Alien has a very dope retro futuristic design which was very much brought to life of sorts in the game =)

tommib

Bro fist.

That game should’ve had the length of a feature film not 20+ hours of incredibly repetitive missions. And don’t get me started on the androids. Amazing graphics and sound for a 3 hour experience.

PsyEd

Interesting to see not a single mention of Siren games on Ps2/Ps3. Forbidden Siren 2 on Ps2 was one heck of a scary game IMHO.

Good to see Condemned got a mention....Condemned 2: Bloodshot was another disturbing game...too bad it never came to PC...the reason I kept my X360 around.

Interesting to see not a single mention of Siren games on Ps2/Ps3. Forbidden Siren 2 on Ps2 was one heck of a scary game IMHO.

Good to see Condemned got a mention....Condemned 2: Bloodshot was another disturbing game...too bad it never came to PC...the reason I kept my X360 around.
Condemmend 2... The bear... I almost shat my pants.

I really love alien isolation. The atmosphere was top notch. It felt like a true sequel to the first Alien movie to me. It’s the only “hide and seek” style game that I like because half the game doesn’t necessarily need to be played that way. My wife won’t play it with me though. The way I play it is too chaotic for her. She was watching while I played the following clip. Couldn’t stand it.

Top Bottom