• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror fan community.

Bigrx1

Banned
Not sure it would qualify here, I think it would, but I really LOVED LOVED - The VVitch

I’ve never been able to get that image out of my mind of
all those naked hags dancing around the fire at the end of that movie. It’s like burned into me.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I’ve never been able to get that image out of my mind of
all those naked hags dancing around the fire at the end of that movie. It’s like burned into me.

Similar for me but it was the part when

She was mashing that baby

Last edited:

Karma Jawa

Watched a few dreadful horror films over the weekend. Worth avoiding.

Killing Ground, Treehouse, Black Water Wilderness, 4/20 Massacre, Media Studies, and Countrycyde.

Countrycyde is legitimately one of the worst films ever made. The acting is horrible, and there’s no plot.

Lost Gully Road was a bit different. It’s meant to be atmospheric. The lead actress spends most of the film alone and without dialogue, and it seems to hint at having a deeper level, but I didn’t particularly enjoy the ending. Some on here might like it.

Incidentally, there’s a series called Slasher that is worth checking out. Skip season one (it’s an anthology series) and try season two. It’s really well done. On Netflix. It’s a bit of a hidden gem, with Lost-style flashbacks in a The Thing style environment.

I wasn't into the horror genre until like 15 years ago when I started studying and we talked about horror games. I said that I find the plots of horror games usually interesting but really dislike the gameplay which is way too hard for my taste. Someone recommended me to get Silent Hill 2 and play on beginner difficulty (for combat). I rented it and did as he told and absolutely loved the game. The fact that in beginner mode every monster dies from one or two hits with my trusty pipe and you don't die easily really made me able to appreciate the deep and philosophical story and being scared all the time is a great feeling too.

Ever since then I was always looking for more games like it. I played many of the Silent Hill games (enjoyed 3, The Room and Downpour too - admittably The Room was slightly too hard as it lacked difficulty setting and had invincible enemies, but I somehow managed) and also Fatal Frame 1-3 of which I enjoyed 2 the most as it had an easy setting (but it completely screws over the ending, I hate it when a higher difficulty is required for a better ending, bleh!). Had a hard time finding other horror games to enjoy. The Resident Evil series is absolutely horrible for me, like the opposite of what I like, it's way too hard, requires you to use guns and isn't even all that scary. And Alone in the Dark series is just way too hard. I absolutely loved Parasite Eve 1 and kind of still liked Parasite Eve 2. But in the end Fragile Dreams became my absolutely favorite horror game.

Later on I found out about the Trilby Adventure series which made me realize that Point&Click Adventure + Horror is actually the perfect thing for me. You can't die, you have all the time in the world, but at the same time you get a great mysterious horror story which can be really good and it can also be pretty spooky. There aren't many games in that genre, though. My favorite is probably "Missing", too bad hardly anybody knows about that one.

Always open for suggestions fulfilling the "hard/impossible to die in but are very scary and have a good story" requirement as I'm actually starved on that.

------------------------------

As for movies / series, I have this weird thing that I don't like supernatural stuff which kind of filters out most. I loved the stuff that many others hate like for example the Saw series. I also love Cube and Cube Zero (but not so much Hypercube).

There are some absolutely amazing horror animes too. Especially Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Also always open for suggestions here, only requirement is that it's not supernatural (I'm fine with "scooby doo supernaturalism" as in it seems supernatural but at the end it's revealed that it was just an illusion).

Karma Jawa

I wasn't into the horror genre until like 15 years ago when I started studying and we talked about horror games. I said that I find the plots of horror games usually interesting but really dislike the gameplay which is way too hard for my taste. Someone recommended me to get Silent Hill 2 and play on beginner difficulty (for combat). I rented it and did as he told and absolutely loved the game. The fact that in beginner mode every monster dies from one or two hits with my trusty pipe and you don't die easily really made me able to appreciate the deep and philosophical story and being scared all the time is a great feeling too.

Ever since then I was always looking for more games like it. I played many of the Silent Hill games (enjoyed 3, The Room and Downpour too - admittably The Room was slightly too hard as it lacked difficulty setting and had invincible enemies, but I somehow managed) and also Fatal Frame 1-3 of which I enjoyed 2 the most as it had an easy setting (but it completely screws over the ending, I hate it when a higher difficulty is required for a better ending, bleh!). Had a hard time finding other horror games to enjoy. The Resident Evil series is absolutely horrible for me, like the opposite of what I like, it's way too hard, requires you to use guns and isn't even all that scary. And Alone in the Dark series is just way too hard. I absolutely loved Parasite Eve 1 and kind of still liked Parasite Eve 2. But in the end Fragile Dreams became my absolutely favorite horror game.

Later on I found out about the Trilby Adventure series which made me realize that Point&Click Adventure + Horror is actually the perfect thing for me. You can't die, you have all the time in the world, but at the same time you get a great mysterious horror story which can be really good and it can also be pretty spooky. There aren't many games in that genre, though. My favorite is probably "Missing", too bad hardly anybody knows about that one.

Always open for suggestions fulfilling the "hard/impossible to die in but are very scary and have a good story" requirement as I'm actually starved on that.

------------------------------

As for movies / series, I have this weird thing that I don't like supernatural stuff which kind of filters out most. I loved the stuff that many others hate like for example the Saw series. I also love Cube and Cube Zero (but not so much Hypercube).

There are some absolutely amazing horror animes too. Especially Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Also always open for suggestions here, only requirement is that it's not supernatural (I'm fine with "scooby doo supernaturalism" as in it seems supernatural but at the end it's revealed that it was just an illusion).

Until Dawn is a great horror game. Well worth checking out. Alien Isolation is good too.

Gargus

Banned
Not sure it would qualify here, I think it would, but I really LOVED LOVED - The VVitch

I'm not sure how it will play out but this is from a24 and the director of the witch.

I have my reservations but this is coming out. Glen danzig directed it and it's based off his comic he made. But in was willing to blind buy it and see. From what I'd heard from the premier is it's an instant cult movie which means it probably isn't very good.

I love danzig so I figured I'd give it a chance. He is working on another movie now. Says it's like a spaghetti western vampire movie.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

I'm not sure how it will play out but this is from a24 and the director of the witch.

I have my reservations but this is coming out. Glen danzig directed it and it's based off his comic he made. But in was willing to blind buy it and see. From what I'd heard from the premier is it's an instant cult movie which means it probably isn't very good.

I love danzig so I figured I'd give it a chance. He is working on another movie now. Says it's like a spaghetti western vampire movie.

I had no idea Danzig made a movie. Looks fucking awful as expected. Can't wait to watch it.

Pejo

I watched "The Girl on the Third Floor" the other day on Netflix. It's starring CM Punk (from the WWE), so my expectations were very tempered. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was good enough for a casual flick. Not really scary, but there were 1-2 unsettling parts.

Gargus

Banned
I had no idea Danzig made a movie. Looks fucking awful as expected. Can't wait to watch it.

I knew it wouldn't be great. But I love the misfits, danzigs first 3 albums, even some samhain. His comics were just ok. But I still like him so figured I'd blind buy it. First print runs come with DVD, blu ray, and a soundtrack cd and he did the music for the movies so I figured what the hell, it's only 20 bucks. It's an anthology also and I like those.

He wrapped filming on his next one where he has a cameo. I dont think it has a title yet though. I hope its decent. He did the music in it also and said he was going for a eninno morricone sound, and wanted the movie to feel like a 80s European horror film.

Bigrx1

Banned
I saw a movie as a kid, which would have been 80's and I've forgotten the title of it who knows what it is? Basically a nice family couple who I think would kill people and bury them in the yard with their legs sticking up out of the ground? It may have been a farm and the woman I think had a lot to do with the killing.

Last edited:
I saw a movie as a kid, which would have been 80's and I've forgotten the title of it who knows what it is? Basically a nice family couple who I think would kill people and bury them in the yard with their legs sticking up out of the ground? It may have been a farm and the woman I think had a lot to do with the killing.

Possibly Motel Hell?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Really need to play Until Dawn.

Aliens aren't really so much my thing, plus you die pretty easy in Alien Isolation afaik.
The whole point of Alien Isolation is feeling helpless and scared throughout the entire game. You do get a
flamethrower and some gadgets
later in the game, but you're definitely still the hunted.

Until Dawn feels like watching an interactive horror movie from the back seat. The game's great, but the immersion level isn't nearly as high as in Alien Isolation.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I recently rewatched The Descent. So good. I loved it so much I refuse to watch the sequel even after all these years.

MetalAlien

Banned

Nice! Thanks for the links!

I wish there was still a "Freddy and Jason" cinematic universe. I liked Freddy vs Jason and I love Englund as Freddy but alas, Englund no longer wants to play Freddy so chanced are we won't ever get one.

But I'd settle for Jason to go up against a new foe taking place in the dame FvJ universe. Perhaps Ash or Myers.

MilkyJoe

Dearest Horror fans, can you send me movie recommendations like The Fog, as in a community vs the threat? You know like The Blob, 8 Legged Freaks etc.

Please and thank you, in advance.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Dearest Horror fans, can you send me movie recommendations like The Fog, as in a community vs the threat? You know like The Blob, 8 Legged Freaks etc.

Please and thank you, in advance.
Have you seen The Mist?

30 Days of Night is also great - a group of people from an Alaskan town vs. the cold vs. vampires.

Last edited:
Thought it was "appropriate" to rewatch Umberto Lenzi's Nightmare City.

As one would expect from Italian zombie-esque horror movies from the 80s, it's super trashy and budget with characters constantly making bizarre and illogical decisions yet... somehow it's still a good deal of fun to watch. It also has one of the more infamous endings you will see. =P

Donwel

Neo Member
Anyone have any idea how to get scared again lol?

I used to love getting spooked and freaked out, but I've consumed so much horror that I don't hardly feel it anymore.

D:
I'm the same. You can get desensitized to horror, but a lot of horror these days is designed to get bums in seats so they aim for as low a rating as they can (action is similar, which is why we got a 15 rated RoboCop) so obviously for the horror connoisseur these products are nowhere near enough to scratch the itch.
I've been reading the /k/ and /x/ skinwalker stories, some are genuinely creepy and you may get a kick out of them. I'd recommend the older ones though, as once the trend got picked up by reddit the quality of stories did noticeably drop.

MetalAlien

Banned
I'd recommend watching the original Spanish [REC] instead of Quarantine. [REC] also has a great sequel which can't be said about Quarantine (Q2 is pretty much a generic low budget zombie movie that's not a found footage flick anymore).
Yea I know but I like Quarantine part 1. It's not bad really.

F13 8 movies. $13 on Vudu

kgVGmyv.jpg

Markness

Banned
Just going to dump my collection of "favorites", I highly recommend every one in this list:

1) Midsommar (2019)
2) Bone Tomahawk (2015)
3) A Quiet Place (2018)
4) Annihilation (2018)
5) Don't Breathe (2016)
6) Evil Dead (2013 version)
7) Haunt (2019)
8) Hereditary (2018)
9) Howl (2015)
10) It Follows (2014)
11) Last Shift (2014)
12) Maniac (2012)
13) Starry Eyes (2014)
14) Terrifier (2017)
15) Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
16) Cabin in the Woods (2011)
17) The Collector (2009)
18) The Collection (2012)
19) The Crazies (2009)
20) The Invitation (2015)
21) The Lighthouse (2019)
22) The Neighbor (2016)
23) The Ritual (2017)
24) The Void (2016)
25) The Wailing (2016)
26) Trick R Treat (2007)
27) VHS (2012)
28) VHS 2 (2013)

If you don't check out your favorites at least once a year, then its just nostalgia, baby! That's how I pruned my list to stuff I have really enjoyed.

Any love for Ash vs The Evil Dead here? Just watched it, and it's a pretty decent continuation of Evil Dead 2, but unfortunately, not Army of Darkness due to a rights issue.

I enjoyed it. Though only watched the first two seasons and of the two I preferred S1.

I've actually been meaning to get around to watching S3 for a long time now. This is probably a good time to finally do that. =P

Last edited:
I enjoyed it. Though only watched the first two seasons and of the two I preferred S1.

I've actually been meaning to get around to watching S3 for a long time now. This is probably a good time to finally do that. =P

S3 was pretty good, it felt like the show found its footing by that point. It's a shame it got canceled, the idea they had for S4 looked promising.

Karma Jawa

Just going to dump my collection of "favorites", I highly recommend every one in this list:

1) Midsommar (2019)
2) Bone Tomahawk (2015)
3) A Quiet Place (2018)
4) Annihilation (2018)
5) Don't Breathe (2016)
6) Evil Dead (2013 version)
7) Haunt (2019)
8) Hereditary (2018)
9) Howl (2015)
10) It Follows (2014)
11) Last Shift (2014)
12) Maniac (2012)
13) Starry Eyes (2014)
14) Terrifier (2017)
15) Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
16) Cabin in the Woods (2011)
17) The Collector (2009)
18) The Collection (2012)
19) The Crazies (2009)
20) The Invitation (2015)
21) The Lighthouse (2019)
22) The Neighbor (2016)
23) The Ritual (2017)
24) The Void (2016)
25) The Wailing (2016)
26) Trick R Treat (2007)
27) VHS (2012)
28) VHS 2 (2013)

If you don't check out your favorites at least once a year, then its just nostalgia, baby! That's how I pruned my list to stuff I have really enjoyed.

Good god I’ve watched every one of those films.

The Neighbor was surprisingly hard-hitting. Just ignore the first 10 minutes.

Markness

Banned
Good god I’ve watched every one of those films.

The Neighbor was surprisingly hard-hitting. Just ignore the first 10 minutes.

Forsure, it still felt to me like it was from the "collector" universe. Glad to hear that there is a fellow gentleman with a refined taste. :p These days I've been trying out other continents for horror, am pleasantly suprised with the variety of flicks coming out from Thailand and Indonesia. Turkey has a couple of decent found footage films too.

Another thing that is slowly becoming more popular is the animated horror youtube channels with stories that are being told.. stuff like "nightmare files" is pretty good and worth checking out.

MilkyJoe

Saw Dog Soldiers yesterday. Remembering it scared the shit out of my younger self, well not so much nowadays but it's still a fun solid horror movie with some humour in it. The effects are great as well especially when you consider the relatively low budget they had.

fullwidth.8d3f3c8e.jpg
Great film 👍🏻

Karma Jawa

I feel like one big problem I have with horror movies is that their endings often leave me quite dissatisfied.

I think that’s more of a contemporary trend. Modern horrors tend to follow a broad pattern of having a big scare as an opening, then introducing some happy characters just going about their lives, gradually ramp up a few jump scares, then have the heroic/dramatic victory.

Something like Heritary is a fairly average horror in my opinion, but it gets plaudits for breaking that structure. It’s very rare to see a film like Don’t Look Now these days, where it’s really a slow build to a big ending.

mekes

Dog Soldiers is such a great movie. I’ve been watching horror movies from about age 10 and not many horror movies have passed my judgement test as an adult. Dog Soldiers for some reason is one of those movies that did. The Decent was pretty damned good too. I’ve been told that Neil Marshall (the director) lives on my road. I’ve never seen him but if I did I would find it a bit difficult to not say hi 😀

He has a new horror movie in the works. His last horror was The Decent.

Been watching through some of the old Amicus anthology movies. I'd seen their Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror many times(Great bluray combo pack too) but I neglected to check out the rest.

So far I've watched Asylum, The House that Dripped Blood and Dr. Terror's House of Horrors. All are good fun and you gotta love all the cross-over actors from Hammer (Who doesn't get a smile when the likes of Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee appear). Of the three I wanna say THtDB had the best set of stories though despite that I liked Asylum best due to the execution of the wrap-around and ending. All are recommended and most can be found in HD on youtube or amazon video.

Now I just need to watch Torture Garden and From Beyond the Grave (Though I hear Tales that Witess Madness is considered an unofficial entry?) =P

I think that’s more of a contemporary trend. Modern horrors tend to follow a broad pattern of having a big scare as an opening, then introducing some happy characters just going about their lives, gradually ramp up a few jump scares, then have the heroic/dramatic victory.

Something like Heritary is a fairly average horror in my opinion, but it gets plaudits for breaking that structure. It’s very rare to see a film like Don’t Look Now these days, where it’s really a slow build to a big ending.
I think a heroic / dramatic victory at the end would actually be at least somewhat satisfying.
But often horror movies go one step further and in the last 3 seconds of the movie show some picture or scene that implies that it's not a happy ending after all.
Or they just leave the ending open and none of the mysteries resolved.

raduque

Does The Car count? That's one of my favorites, but it's older (1977).

However Death Ship is from 1980 and is, IMO, a classic.

Many other greats have been mentioned already, though (The Thing, etc).

Karma Jawa

I think a heroic / dramatic victory at the end would actually be at least somewhat satisfying.
But often horror movies go one step further and in the last 3 seconds of the movie show some picture or scene that implies that it's not a happy ending after all.
Or they just leave the ending open and none of the mysteries resolved.

Well that’s true too. A pointless jump scare showing the demon/ghost/monster basically winking at the audience when most of the film has been about defeating them.

One of the dumbest films I’ve ever seen (can’t remember the name but it was some British found footage) had this couple fighting demons, with some dramatic deaths and tension, only for the country to be nuked as a result of an unrelated international war. It rendered the entire film completely pointless.

Top Bottom