• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn (PC) |OT| Hunting Robots

GHG

Gold Member
Errors, crashes, crap... that's Horizon for PC.

Asked for refund on Steam but they won't give it because the game was purchased on preorder july 6th, more then 2 weeks ago. F**K Sony and F**K Steam with this crap.

With steam you should get the refund because your 2 weeks starts on the date the game releases rather than when you pre ordered.

fermcr

With steam you should get the refund because your 2 weeks starts on the date the game releases rather than when you pre ordered.

Asked twice for a refund and both denied. They claim mu purchase is more then 2 weeks old. Have 25min of gameplay in my account.

GHG

Gold Member
I did that. This is the response I got...

"We have reviewed your refund request.
We will not be granting a refund at this time. The date of the purchase exceeds 2 weeks (our refund policy maximum)."

Respond to them with the link above and explain it was a pre-order purchase.

The customer service rep who is dealing with it for you is doing you dirty. Don't give up.

THEAP99

Banned
Metacritic update (now with user scores that everyone loves):

Ee7X9a2X0AM_43k

Siri

Banned
So here’s something weird:

When I launch the game in Fullscreen mode I’m seeing weird hitching and stuttering, like a run-time issue. This goes away if I go into Borderless mode and then back to Fullscreen.

I have to play this little trick everytime I launch the game. It’s annoying, but it works.

DeaDPo0L84

I used the DF settings and stayed above 60fps consistently with no issues. I force 16x AF through ncp, although I'm a bit confused on what the in game setting should be cause you can't technically turn it off. I could just be misunderstanding something.

Either way the 60fps, maxed out fov, and overall better image quality make this worth going through again. Also m+kb is working way better than I assumed it would.

GHG

Gold Member
I used the DF settings and stayed above 60fps consistently with no issues. I force 16x AF through ncp, although I'm a bit confused on what the in game setting should be cause you can't technically turn it off. I could just be misunderstanding something.

Either way the 60fps, maxed out fov, and overall better image quality make this worth going through again. Also m+kb is working way better than I assumed it would.

DF's settings are wrong.

Don't force AF through the NV control panel it leads to flickering and other strange issues. Just max the setting out in game, its the best solution there is in game for it right now.

Other than that if you've got the hardware just max it out and take clouds down a single setting for a nice fps boost.

DeaDPo0L84

DF's settings are wrong.

Don't force AF through the NV control panel it leads to flickering and other strange issues. Just max the setting out in game, its the best solution there is in game for it right now.

Other than that if you've got the hardware just max it out and take clouds down a single setting for a nice fps boost.

I have a 2070super,i7-9700k,and corsair vengeance lpx 16gb, not sure if I can max out and stay above 60fps,whatcha think?

GHG

Gold Member
I have a 2070super,i7-9700k,and corsair vengeance lpx 16gb, not sure if I can max out and stay above 60fps,whatcha think?

Similar system to mine:

In game I was getting above 60fps at 1440p with everything maxed out with the exception of clouds.

If you want a bit more performance then you can just go with the "favor quality" preset.

Also make sure to use fullscreen instead of borderless, it was a lot more stable for me with fullscreen.

DeaDPo0L84

Similar system to mine:

In game I was getting above 60fps at 1440p with everything maxed out with the exception of clouds.

If you want a bit more performance then you can just go with the "favor quality" preset.

Also make sure to use fullscreen instead of borderless, it was a lot more stable for me with fullscreen.

So I got home and loaded up my save, it was raining and went and fought a couple dinos. I kept everything at ultra except for clouds, and turned off motion blur (dont like it), also turned off 16x af through the ncp. I was getting between 52-60, it kinda fluctuated between that range.

Malakhov

Banned
Nice I tinkered even more with it and I can even put ultra on models. Goddamn R5 3600 rules, I can only think of what I could do with a decent gpu

GHG

Gold Member
So I got home and loaded up my save, it was raining and went and fought a couple dinos. I kept everything at ultra except for clouds, and turned off motion blur (dont like it), also turned off 16x af through the ncp. I was getting between 52-60, it kinda fluctuated between that range.

Ah damn, in that case I'd just suggest running with most settings a both down then and seeing if it makes a difference.

There's not much visual difference between most of the settings truth be told.

GymWolf

lol the tripcaster is such an op weapon even at ultra hard, in the sequel they need enemies who are aware of the traps and actively avoid them sometimes or make the ammo far more scarce for this weapon.

Rivdoric

Neo Member
DF's settings are wrong.

You should also really consider lowering AO in this game, DF were right about this point, overall shadows just doesn't look right with higher than medium
That's the first oddity i noticed when i compared the PC game to my PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Pepoplis

Neo Member
I feel like I'm speaking as the privileged but with a 2080ti/6700K CPU with DF settings I'm getting 55-60 fps @ 4K HDR. Dips to around 45 when it rains.

Stuttering is there but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Its mostly smooth.

*Shrugs*

Love this game, 2nd playthrough for me.

Last edited:
lol the tripcaster is such an op weapon even at ultra hard, in the sequel they need enemies who are aware of the traps and actively avoid them sometimes or make the ammo far more scarce for this weapon.
Same for the Ropecaster to be honest. Enemies become helpless and you can just crit them to death.

GHG

Gold Member
You should also really consider lowering AO in this game, DF were right about this point, overall shadows just doesn't look right with higher than medium
That's the first oddity i noticed when i compared the PC game to my PS4 Pro.

Hmm... Might try out shadows and AO when I next boot it up to see what differences there are but nobody other than DF has mentioned any oddities with these.

Durante's guide seems to be consistent with my experience:

GymWolf

Same for the Ropecaster to be honest. Enemies become helpless and you can just crit them to death.
well at least on ultra hard everything kills you in 2 hits, everything is super duper aggressive (like even the most stupid creatures charghe at you like you stole money from him) and resources to make tripcaster ammo are very pricey (not a problem if you loot everthing all the time)

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
I feel like I'm speaking as the privileged but with a 2080ti/6700K CPU with DF settings I'm getting 55-60 fps @ 4K HDR. Dips to around 45 when it rains.

Stuttering is there but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Its mostly smooth.

*Shrugs*

I get 40-45 fps at 2k with high/ultra settings on a rx470. I'm far from priviledged. I could get more fps playing in lower res but it's fine for me as it is. I think cpu plays a big role in this game and I believe Ryzen helps a lot.

Holammer

Horizon Zero Dawn developer Guerrilla Interactive has released a statement saying it is investigating the "technical issues" currently plaguing the game's port to PC.
"We have been monitoring all of our channels and are aware that some players have been experiencing crashes and other technical issues," said a statement on Steam. "Please know that we are investigating your reports as our highest priority.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

*Shrugs*

That is some weird ass combo.

drotahorror

That is some weird ass combo.

Why? I would take a 2080ti in a heartbeat over my card.

Anyways, with Digital Foundry settings I'm getting between 60-85FPS @ 1080p with a 6700k / GTX 1080. I can't hit 120 at all, but there isn't much stuttering to report and no crashes so far.

This game before hunter reflexes: this isn't easy

This game after hunter reflexes: I'm op as fuck

And it's the first skill point hah. If not for that one skill, I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun with the combat on PS4. Now on PC, it's so damn good

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
And it's the first skill point hah. If not for that one skill, I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun with the combat on PS4. Now on PC, it's so damn good
I took the other skill that says it slows down things first while aiming but I didn't notice much :(

Also what's with the eyes in cutscenes they look fucking crazy

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why? I would take a 2080ti in a heartbeat over my card.

Anyways, with Digital Foundry settings I'm getting between 60-85FPS @ 1080p with a 6700k / GTX 1080. I can't hit 120 at all, but there isn't much stuttering to report and no crashes so far.

Sure is probably okay, but when you drop 1000USD on GPU, I would expect something more beefier on the CPU front, but that's just me probably. Not sure how much IPC has improved from 6xxx series to 10xxx series tho.

Siri

Banned
I just finished the proving.

Gobsmacked by this game so far. I honestly can’t see how the rest of the game is going to live up to the first 3 hours. Just, wow.

Pepoplis

Neo Member
Sure is probably okay, but when you drop 1000USD on GPU, I would expect something more beefier on the CPU front, but that's just me probably. Not sure how much IPC has improved from 6xxx series to 10xxx series tho.
I get where you coming from its just that at 4K CPU is far less a factor compared to 1080/1440 resolutions. You're talking maybe 4-5 fps max at 4K from all the benchmarks ive seen and at that point I'd rather pour the monnies on GPU.

Stuart360

As if PC version don't have a lot of problems already. Here's a few more.

I noticed the snow deformation as soon as i started playing, i guess it is in the PS4 version?.
I bit my pride and locked the game to 30fps yesterday, and i havent noticed any graphical bugs since, and i prefer the constant framerate. Plus i can now play on ultra at 1440p as well he he.
Man this port is a clusterfuck though.
Oh and i really wasnt impressed by the graphics for the first few hours, but now after getting to Meridian and the surrounding forest areas, it looks great.

Stuart360

Luckily in 13 hours of playing over 2 sessions, i havent had a single crash yet. I have had most of the other bugs though lol.

DeaDPo0L84

I've luckily not had any crashes and issues I do have are very minor. With that said I'm still gonna wait a few days to see if GG puts a patch out to fix the mistakes the outside developer made.

Lanrutcon

If you don't spend your first few hours with the game farming the south-west Grinder spot in the starting area, then you're doing it wrong.

Top Bottom