• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn PC Footage

martino

Allegedly "favor performance " is a match for console settings but we will have to wait for DF to investigate for confirmation.

Preload is up now on steam mate.
not for me
U8m3H1.jpg

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I still need to play the DLC on the PS4, but i will wait for the PS5, and play it before the launch of forbidden West.

Rikkori

Very disappointing but after DS I expected it. This is not a PC version of the game, it's just the PS4 version playable on PC. Tbh I stopped playing it on PS4 Pro because of the FOV, so at least we can change that, but obviously in terms of settings scalability PC wasn't in mind when they made it so therefore we get almost no improvements at all. A real shame.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
That's like saying GTA 5 mods will make it look better than GTA 6, lol. And btw, will this game even support mods?

I could see this derailing the thread. But I stand by what I posted. Modders have done crazy shit to otherwise bland looking games. Look at the skyrim mods.
My post refers to the potential, I didn't state anything in absolutes. So, chill.

martino

Very disappointing but after DS I expected it. This is not a PC version of the game, it's just the PS4 version playable on PC. Tbh I stopped playing it on PS4 Pro because of the FOV, so at least we can change that, but obviously in terms of settings scalability PC wasn't in mind when they made it so therefore we get almost no improvements at all. A real shame.
if there are files with settings for lod it will be found and tweaked for sure
injecting lacking post processing options will quickly be a thing too.

Reindeer

I could see this derailing the thread. But I stand by what I posted. Modders have done crazy shit to otherwise bland looking games. Look at the skyrim mods.
My post refers to the potential, I didn't state anything in absolutes. So, chill.
None of the Skyrim mods can stand up to the best looking open world games this gen like RDR2 or even Horizon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reindeer

It was obviously made only for PlayStation originally and they likely don't have enough time or resources to improve textures and overall graphics.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I hate to point out the obvious but HZD2 isn't out yet. Actually neither is this.

I remember playing TR2013 on my older PC and then ROTR on the Xbox One when it came out, and much to my dismay, TR2013 looked and (obviously) ran far better than ROTR XO. Same with something like Battlefield 3 vs. 4 on console. So it can happen.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
It appears as if Horizon Zero Dawn on the PlayStation 4 (89 metacritic) is still the best place to play the game.

PC gamers waited years for it to be ported, and it’s a inferior version (87 on metacritic).

But hey, at least both versions are higher rated than Ghost of Tsushima (83 metacritic)

Three

Yeah. Like I'm going to disagree with that. We're talking better geometry, models and such.
I think you peg me for being ignorant.
So he somehow saw some mods for a game that wasn't even out yet. Come on man, sometimes the simplest answer is that there was some hyperbole from someone who is a PC fanboy. It's fine, noone is infallible.

No need to make some hypothetical scenario where he was talking about mods on an unreleased game.

It appears as if Horizon Zero Dawn on the PlayStation 4 (89 metacritic) is still the best place to play the game.

PC gamers waited years for it to be ported, and it’s a inferior version (87 on metacritic).

But hey, at least both versions are higher rated than Ghost of Tsushima (83 metacritic)

Metacritic scores for a port means jack for which is best. It's just that the game is old now so ofcourse people will review it compared to new things. The same thing happened to Gears of war years ago but PC was still the best place to play.

Last edited:

Yes, because score on metacritic is the ultimate oracle. I can't cope with this bullshit. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Reindeer

Yeah. Like I'm going to disagree with that. We're talking better geometry, models and such.
I think you peg me for being ignorant.
No amount of mods can make a game from one gen look better than sequel for that game that is a whole generation ahead, it's just something that doesn't happen. VFX saying that the PC version was gonna look better than the sequel was just another one of his ludicrous PC elitist statements. I'm PC Masterrace myself, but let's keep some perspective here.

Last edited by a moderator:

nowhat

They are guerrilla they don't need completely fake trailers after that kz2 trailer debacle.
TBH that wasn't on Guerrilla either. What basically happened was that GG had done a CGI demo of the style they were going with for KZ2. Someone at Sony (probably some nitwit from marketing) included the footage in the infamous E3 reel, really terrifying people at Guerrilla. But then they figured "hey, no one is going to believe that's real". The rest, as they say, is history.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
TBH that wasn't on Guerrilla either. What basically happened was that GG had done a CGI demo of the style they were going with for KZ2. Someone at Sony (probably some nitwit from marketing) included the footage in the infamous E3 reel, really terrifying people at Guerrilla. But then they figured "hey, no one is going to believe that's real". The rest, as they say, is history.
same thing happened with the Motorstorm trailer. that was never meant to be seen by the public.

Reindeer

it never was the intention of sony imo
They probably decided to port it after Kojima Productions have done the heavy work in making the engine compatible with PC. I fail to see another reason as there other games Sony could have brought to PC that probably would have sold more.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
No amount of mods can make a game from one gen look better than sequel for that game that is a whole generation ahead, it's just something that doesn't happen. VFX saying that the PC version was gonna look better than the sequel was just another one of his ludicrous PC elitist statements. I'm PC Masterrace myself, but let's keep some perspective here.

I'm all for it.

THEAP99

Banned
So he somehow saw some mods for a game that wasn't even out yet. Come on man, sometimes the simplest answer is that there was some hyperbole from someone who is a PC fanboy. It's fine, noone is infallible.

No need to make some hypothetical scenario where he was talking about mods on an unreleased game.

Metacritic scores for a port means jack for which is best. It's just that the game is old now so ofcourse people will review it compared to new things. The same thing happened to Gears of war years ago but PC was still the best place to play.
Didn’t happen with death stranding

Sony also didn’t fund that port

Last edited:

martino

They probably decided to port it after Kojima Productions have done the heavy work in making the engine compatible with PC. I fail to see another reason as there other games Sony could have brought to PC that probably would have sold more.
that's actually part of the explanation imo
it's also a test at multiple level.
result of this experiment can lead to lot of things.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Performance on AMD cards is beyond disgraceful but not great for RTX either. Guerrilla Games are really tarnishing their reputation with this one. I hope they do the right thing and put some work in to fix it.

Elog

I wonder if it is just a port that lacks optimisations (certainly the angle that DF will take tomorrow) or that HZD contains game design choices that simply stress a lot of the PCs more than one might think. I doubt that the Death Stranding port was purely done by Kojima and not together with Guerilla so it is unlikely that it is just a coding question (they should have the same). DS has much less textures, shadows and more uniform terrain in general compared with HZD.

Siri

Banned
This is exciting.

For a pc guy like myself who’s never owned a console this is like a brand new triple-A title. Also, this game happens to tick all the right boxes for me.

Four months ago, at the height of the pandemic for me, when I literally thought I was going to lose everything (my job, my mother, and my home... and probably my lady-friend), gaming seemed frivolous, and I thought I would never game again (the same thing happened ten years earlier when I lost my previous job - gaming, suddenly, seemed like something I’d been wasting my life on). But I can’t help myself. I just love gaming.

I love the tech behind it (presently I’m gaming on an LG C9 55 powered by an RTX 2080Ti), I love the feeling of community you get if you meet the right folks online (hello, everyone!)... I just love the sensation that inside my monitor there are ‘other worlds’ - and that I get to travel to those other worlds and temporarily escape this one.

It seems like gaming is just always going to be a part of my life. Anyway, this release makes me happy. :)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
gpu_presets.png

That's on a 2080 Ti so yikes. Buuut it's also pre-release and there are no drivers out so might be better when it does come out. But it's also IGN and they're incompetent.

The tester purposefully ran into GPU-intensive scenes to get these numbers.

1440p/60fps should be easy on a 2070S though.

Read more.
What is it with these sites doing perf tests before a damn game/drivers are out?

lol

cryogenic7

Are you saying the PC version has HDR for cutscenes and not gameplay?

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. Actually, I'm guessing you're another one of gaf's resident Sony fanboys.

Me? I prefer PC to all of the other platforms. I was asking the question because I didn't understand the statement.

Top Bottom