• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Next Gen PS5 60FPS Update Gameplay (4K)

rubhen925

Update went out live earlier today. Late in covering this but here goes:

- the Complete Edition size on the PS5 is now 48.27GB. This is for Version 1.53
- They basically removed the option to choose from high resolution or performance modes. Only one option now, which is the new 4K 60FPS mode.
- The game already had HDR option. So nothing new. Just wanted to mention for people who don't have the game. You can't tweak HDR settings. It's just a yes or no option.
- After chatting with a Sony PR they mentioned it was checkerboard 4K.
- No Haptics integration, but vibrations when doing things like combat, jumping, etc.
- I don't remember if Haptics was implemented when the PS5 first launched for this title.
- I don't see much improvements on the loading side. Still takes a couple seconds to boot game, load into map, etc.
- The 60FPS in my opinion amazing. I know the PC version did it but i played the PS4 version at launch and it's pretty much ingrained to be 30 lol. So playing on 60 hits on a different note.
- Lastly when I first got the PS5, the game had some issues. Mostly Stability where it would crash a lot. Well I've played about 6 hours tonight. Not one crash. So I guess they improved the stability. This may vary with others.

That's about it for now. Time for one more run before FW comes out next Feb. Cheers.

Last edited:
Can someone with the tech knowledge please tell why Pop-in is so noticeable in games that received a 60fps patch? It's super obvious in Last of us 2, Shadow of the tomb raider and now HZD. And I'm not the only one noticing that. Gotta be a technical reason for that.

Good news. Sony's strategy for these 60fps patches is so strange ...

This is a 2017 game so can we assume Uncharted 4 (2016) will get a patch also?

GymWolf

Yeah the dlc is superior to the vanilla game for a lot of things except maybe the main plot and lack of sylens.

Rea

Can someone with the tech knowledge please tell why Pop-in is so noticeable in games that received a 60fps patch? It's super obvious in Last of us 2, Shadow of the tomb raider and now HZD. And I'm not the only one noticing that. Gotta be a technical reason for that.
That's because with 30fps there is heavy motionblur, so you won't see clearly when moving. With 60fps the motion blur is more or less reduced. Everything is sharp when moving. So you will see more details.

Md Ray

The enemy design means the ultimate armor from the base game won't protect you therefore its a much bigger challenge. The DLC is the best part of the game because they really up the challenge level.
Nice. I remember one of my friends also told me that it's more challenging. I do like a bit of a challenge, do you have any other tips before I jump in?

Last edited:

itxaka

Defeatist
Finally! After fully beating it, this is like a different game. It was very choppy before, time for a new game+ :D

assurdum

Banned
I really don't know how people can enjoy with this game. Everytime I play it, it's a continuous fight with the inventory system and the lack of the right elementals supply against the machines.

Last edited:

Shmunter

There's clearly something wrong with the cutscenes, animation isnt synced correctly (especially lips) and to me it looks like artificial speed up. Personally I dont care about cutscenes that much, but such big AAA game should have perfect 60fps implementation on PS5, and anything less is not good.
Make sure your tv is synced to your audio equipment. The reason I say that is that I don’t have this issue on my HT.

Lucky8BB

Banned
Make sure your tv is synced to your audio equipment. The reason I say that is that I don’t have this issue on my HT.
I'm talking about this YT gameplay linked in the first post. I'm watching this video on my phone and I can see clear soap opera effect like in cheap interpolation on old TVs.

MaKTaiL

Wait, you said adaptive triggers are implemented but this is the PS4 version. Has Sony updated the SDK once more? Hopefully it will evolve enough so they can support haptic feedback and SSD improvements as well without the need to make a PS5 specific version.

omegasc

Wait, you said adaptive triggers are implemented but this is the PS4 version. Has Sony updated the SDK once more? Hopefully it will evolve enough so they can support haptic feedback and SSD improvements as well without the need to make a PS5 specific version.
All I feel is vibration, no trigger tension when using the bow. I don't believe they added any support for DualSense haptics.

rubhen925

All I feel is vibration, no trigger tension when using the bow. I don't believe they added any support for DualSense haptics.
It was definitely there on my controller. Check your settings for the controller. I had it at max to test it.

omegasc

It was definitely there on my controller. Check your settings for the controller. I had it at max to test it.
yup, everything on "strong" and I checked the in game controller settings and could not find anything related.
I get a faint vibration when drawing the bow but no trigger tension.
Let me know if you figure it out, I hope I am doing something wrong :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

rubhen925

yup, everything on "strong" and I checked the in game controller settings and could not find anything related.
I get a faint vibration when drawing the bow but no trigger tension.
Let me know if you figure it out, I hope I am doing something wrong :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Weird. Faint was not what I felt. Let me check my settings when I get home. Sorry if there's some misinformation. I just mentioned what I experienced lol

omegasc

Weird. Faint was not what I felt. Let me check my settings when I get home. Sorry if there's some misinformation. I just mentioned what I experienced lol
no worries!
I remember I felt something similar when The Last of Us 2 was updated, I really thought they added some level of haptics support, but in the end it was that upgrade the ND dev did to the controller firmware that made it so much better with BC.

Kilau

Gold Member
All these extra frames ruining my cinematic games.

Disgusted Design GIF

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm loving this patch. Finally exploring Frozen Wilds, really glad I waited.

I wonder if they did anything with the audio. I don't remember it sounding so good with headphones on and I see in the audio options that 3D audio is the only option available 🤔

Shakka43

Tried it for a bit just to test it out. I bought it on PC not too long ago though so my next re-play will be there anyway.

GymWolf

100% This. The DLC is heavily better than the main game.
I mean, for me the vanilla remains better overall because of the plot, the dlc plot is good but not remotely as good.

Also the dlc is a bit samey with the snowy location.

Last edited:

Fake

I mean, for me the vanilla remains better overall because of the plot, the dlc plot is good but not remotely as good.

Also the dlc is a bit samey with the snowy location.

The DLC improves the enemy and Aloy almost lack of emotions, not to mention the regions inside the DLC are amazing.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm loving this patch. Finally exploring Frozen Wilds, really glad I waited.

I wonder if they did anything with the audio. I don't remember it sounding so good with headphones on and I see in the audio options that 3D audio is the only option available 🤔
I checked this, the 3D audio option only shows when the official pulse headset is connected.

Reading further it seems that it supported 3D audio on the PS4 with the pulse headsets, I must never have tried it that way at the time, because this sounds so much better than playing with a 5.1 surround system and once tried there is no going back now.

GymWolf

The DLC improves the enemy and Aloy almost lack of emotions, not to mention the regions inside the DLC are amazing.
Yeah the dlc improve a lot of things but i liked the original plot a lot (also sylens is by far the best character and he is almost completely absent in the dlc.

I checked this, the 3D audio option only shows when the official pulse headset is connected.

Reading further it seems that it supported 3D audio on the PS4 with the pulse headsets, I must never have tried it that way at the time, because this sounds so much better than playing with a 5.1 surround system and once tried there is no going back now.
It supported 3d audio on PS4 through the Gold/Platinum headsets. I also noticed the audio was nicer with this update, higher res or somethin.

Top Bottom