• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn becoming a movie

Kuranghi

I'm sure it'll be great.

unimpressed jerk off motion GIF

To corrupt a Peter Kay quote:

"Movie/TV series based on a computer game? No thanks I'd rather lick me own arsehole!"

Last edited:
I'm curious why there is sudden interest in the movie industry, I mean isn't it dying off? Seriously, who is going to see movies nowadays when you can watch theatrical releases instantly on HBO Max. Is HBO just paying an incredible amount of money to be able to do this because how else are big budget movies gonna earn any income with low theater ticket sales. It doesn't make sense to pour money and time into an industry that is going belly up as opposed to the gaming industry which is flourishing.

Kuranghi

I'm curious why there is sudden interest in the movie industry, I mean isn't it dying off? Seriously, who is going to see movies nowadays when you can watch theatrical releases instantly on HBO Max. Is HBO just paying an incredible amount of money to be able to do this because how else are big budget movies gonna earn any income with low theater ticket sales. It doesn't make sense to pour money and time into an industry that is going belly up as opposed to the gaming industry which is flourishing.

Maybe (read: almost certainly) C19 has been an accelerator of the death, so now they are trying to get attention back on blockbuster films by bringing in the millions of game fans. Who knows how that will end, I can see it going either way.

MrS

Banned
Another box office BOMBA incoming. Who the fuck is gonna watch this shit? The gamers will be gaming.

Why are people surprised that a company that owns one of the largest media empires this side of Disney, are making movies?
Why wouldn't they leverage the insane popularity of their highly regarded video games to make films in an era where 90% of highest grossing films are based on Comic Books and/or Star Wars.

NahaNago

I'd honestly prefer a cg movie since I'm expecting this movie to be pure cringe, even with the weird looking cg kid.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Makes sense to make HZD into a movie. The story is perfect for that.

Now we need a God of War HBO TV show, directed by Zack Snyder, and Jason Momoa as Kratos! :messenger_fire:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
If this is done right Sony will make a ton of money and also expand the reach of their games. I'm for it

Fbh

To be fair it could be fun movie. But they'll need the right budget, the mech dinos need to show up often and they need to look good.
I guess they could show parts of the past which we only hear through voice recordings in the game.

Also with the way Hollywood has been going out of their way to remove gingers, I wouldn't be surprised if Aloy isn't a redhead here.

ZywyPL

Banned
As long as they won't cheap out on the CGI of those dino-mechs I'm all into it. Really, screw Aloy and the plot, that amazing setting is Horizon's main hero.

Pejo

If Spirits Within was enough to sink Squaresoft, I hope any number of these potential bombas will make Sony consider dropping awful video game movies and start making more diverse A/AA first party games.

SinDelta

I wonder if this will come out. Still waiting for that Uncharted Movie...though the live action short is probably going to be as close as we get to the actual games.

Make a Chrono Trigger animated series and a full fledged remake. Seeing how good the new Dragon Quest anime remake is the team for that would be perfect for something like this.

Last edited:

Arkam

So... Knack: The Movie... WHEN?
IDK if you are serious, but I think it would be a decent animated family film.

HZD as a movie could be cool (same with most WWS games). Hope the actress they cast of Aloy is more attractive than the character model. Or at least tweak her hair so she looks less like an 80's bro. But I can already see some sweet CG robot animal/dinos.

Fox Mulder

The game had some interesting lore that was buried if you wanted to find it. A movie or show could be good. Sony Pictures is a shit factory that occasionally makes good stuff though.

Lol the fucking film industry is a laughing stock now. They running out of ideas and don't know how to make good films anymore. It used to be games based on movies now vice versa.

Dumb.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lol the fucking film industry is a laughing stock now. They running out of ideas and don't know how to make good films anymore. It used to be games based on movies now vice versa.

Dumb.
To be fair, media is probably really samey because they know what customers want, which is predictable storylines and the good guy winning 99% of the time.

I'd love to have more movies with twists showing the villain winning, or the good guys actually being the evil ones in the second half of the movie, but few writers and producers want to do that.

mckmas8808

Banned
Can't wait for Sony to do their own connected PlayStation Movie Universe with all this shit.

I'm not sure what these movies have to offer that the games didn't already do and none of these stories are particularly good enough to warrant a movie, tv show or book.

You're 100% wrong on this.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Prob the reason I like most of Sony 3rd person line up is because they already feel like movies/tv shows. Seems like a good fit to me.

Kuranghi

What a nobber Uwe was, in the professional and personal sense. Then again if the retarded German government gave me million dollar grants to make my own stupid movies I wrote in on set while I was filming then I'd probably do it too :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom