• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Review Thread |

Well your actions and writings speak otherwise. Now squirm.
You can't provide pain or pleasure to make me...
I Love You Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

Dibils2k

i bought the PS4 version of this game (save £10, why not)... is anyone else worried there is gonna be a issue with the free PS5 upgrade on launch day :messenger_grimmacing_

tommib

i bought the PS4 version of this game (save £10, why not)... is anyone else worried there is gonna be a issue with the free PS5 upgrade on launch day :messenger_grimmacing_
Yes and Sony has been so flaky about this. The information on the store is still super confusing. I'm afraid that the upgrade will only work for disc versions. Their whole upgrade program is a clusterfuck and designed to make you spend those extra 10 bucks even if it the upgrade comes with the PS4 version.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Poor guy went out of his way to get a review copy even without Sony sending one. (or didn't play it and reviewed it anyway)

In this you very quickly realise that wits play no role in your achievement. There is a single solitary solution to each problem you face, and no guile is required to determine it. Tap the scan button and Aloy’s Focus will helpfully highlight, in yellow, the one and only viable route up any cliff face.

Tell me you reviewed the game by watching a state of play video without telling me you reviewed the game by watching a state of play video.

Only thing that bums me out a bit is the knocks to the story, but I knew in my heart it wouldn't be as impactful and focused as Zero Dawn, so its not a knock in my book. The rest sounds brilliant. I can see this being one of my favourite games because the moment to moment gameplay is excellent.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This speaks to a bigger industry issue. Studios and certain bonuses developers get that are tied to metascores. I don't know if that still happens but watching a game missing the 90 on metacritic due to a salty reviewer shouldn't happen.

I don't think that's going to happen. Let's also not lose perspective on the fact that HFW is scoring an higher metacritic than neogaf's 2021 game of the year, with more reviews taken into account.

Tomeru

The last Ratchet & Clank, for all it did right, literally had unfinished areas in the swamps.
Or cut areas, but I wouldn't know as I didn't play it.

But anyway, got more examples from more sony titles? I mean no disrespect to to you, but claiming a lack of polish is a common trait in sony 1st party titles is quite the statement.

Vaelka

I watched Skillup's review and it was very indepth. When he first started I hated him. But over time he has become a very good reviewer.

I like his reviews a lot, he and his brother are pretty funny and tend to have some actual common sense and call bullshit in the industry out.
They don't shy away from criticizing '' collegues '' doing and saying dumb shit.

His presence on Twitter tho is the typical exhausting bs, just avoid him there.

Dibils2k

This speaks to a bigger industry issue. Studios and certain bonuses developers get that are tied to metascores. I don't know if that still happens but watching a game missing the 90 on metacritic due to a salty reviewer shouldn't happen.
no, the issue is if you review a sony game badly they will not give you early copies... seem like they are buying good reviews

Last edited:

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Wow this is pretty expensive here on the Australian Playstation store. $124.95!! That's like 90 USD. Time to start shopping around cause I ain't paying that.

GymWolf

Only thing that bums me out a bit is the knocks to the story, but I knew in my heart it wouldn't be as impactful and focused as Zero Dawn, so its not a knock in my book. The rest sounds brilliant. I can see this being one of my favourite games because the moment to moment gameplay is excellent.
It's not an universal thing tho, a lot of journalist loved the story and characters in the new one.

Story is always gonna be subjective, many think that the first horizon has an excellent scifi story (way less good for the tribal stuff) and some think it's boring af.

The guy who wrote the plot for the first one also wrote the plot for the second one with all the connections etc, so i have faith, the story was always divided in 2 parts since the beginning.

If anything, reading the the game expect you to know every singel details of the previous game and it's not friendly with people who know shit about the first title kinda gives me faith on the game being story heavy and using all the optional sidestuff that many people never even read in the first game.

People talking about too much scifi jargon is music to my years because as a fanboy i know every single shit about horizon jargon and i want more.

Last edited:
Hilarious that the outlet are already seemingly blacklisted but yet they still moved heaven and earth to get a copy. Wonder why.

That so called "freelancer" is about to find himself blacklisted as well.
It's bizarre that when people are salty about a company not giving them a review copy ,they're still willing to go to great lengths to get it and in the process don't care and are still willing drag an innocent bystander down the rabbit hole and potentially cause them to lose their job as well. All for these glorious views and web traffic, why am I not surprised.

Last edited:
What about a publisher (Sony) limiting review access to a site that dared to give lower scores to their previous games?
FLjWkRYX0AIsp7E

I mean...can you blame them?
Can you honestly look at this picture and not notice any bias whatsoever?

Plenty of outlets have given bad scores to Sony games, yet after decades they still get review copies. Maybe you should just be impartial and you'd be respected and ultimately still get those review copies.

scydrex

FLjWkRYX0AIsp7E

I mean...can you blame them?
Can you honestly look at this picture and not notice any bias whatsoever?

Plenty of outlets have given bad scores to Sony games, yet after decades they still get review copies. Maybe you should just be impartial and you'd be respected and ultimately still get those review copies.

Horizon 1 he gave it a 70 and Horizon 2 a 65 and almost all the reviews says Horizon 2 is better in every aspect...

Ogbert

I'm more concerned by the tens and tens of reviewers that dial-in 9s and 10s for games that don't deserve it.

Sony, Nintendo and MS all benefit from this. The industry is driven by the juvenile belief that there's something wrong with a game getting 75 to 80%.

I'm more concerned by the tens and tens of reviewers that dial-in 9s and 10s for games that don't deserve it.

Sony, Nintendo and MS all benefit from this. The industry is driven by the juvenile belief that there's something wrong with a game getting 75 to 80%.

Most of this wouldn't be an issue if we stopped trying to qualify entertainment products with a number. Honestly i only care about Digital Foundry or videos like those at this point. Their Horizon video is better than all written stuff you can post in here and that's ultimately what i care about: the technical flaws of each game. something you CAN qualify. If a game plays at 4k with no frame drops...then that's it. No other way around it. You get my point.

I'm still from those days where the scale actually went from 0 to 10. Remember when only groundbreaking games could get perfect scores?

Ogbert

Most of this wouldn't be an issue if we stopped trying to qualify entertainment products with a number. Honestly i only care about Digital Foundry or videos like those at this point. Their Horizon video is better than all written stuff you can post in here and that's ultimately what i care about: the technical flaws of each game. something you CAN qualify. If a game plays at 4k with no frame drops...then that's it. No other way around it. You get my point.

I'm still from those days where the scale actually went from 0 to 10. Remember when only groundbreaking games could get perfect scores?
Yep, agree 100%.

I just think, in this instance, that outlier reviewer isn't really the problem. Looks like he's an Xbox guy being a bit bias; it is what it is.

As you point out, the industry wide problem is that fact that Sony and MS (not sure if Nintendo do it, expect not) have incentivized their developers with Metacritic scores, knowing full well that this pressure will filter down to journalists who simply slap nines and tens on everything, desperate to keep their access. We no longer have anything resembling objective and technical video game journalism where, regardless of genre or style of game, we get an honest evaluation of how a game plays.

tassletine

I agree. At this point a 9/10 for a AAA title is a warning sign.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think they've said in interviews that the climbing is not scripted, just that the game detects what surfaces can be horizontal enough to be used while climbing and that the neon highlight is just to help you see where thoses edges are.So we'll see once it is out but I don't understand why they would lie about that.

That's not what I'm talking about though, I'm saying the robobirds themselves are just "plattforms" moving around in a predefined pattern, rather than mounts you can actually pilot. Or that's how it looks to me.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That's not what I'm talking about though, I'm saying the robobirds themselves are just "plattforms" moving around in a predefined pattern, rather than mounts you can actually pilot. Or that's how it looks to me.
Oh I misunderstood your post apparently, maybe they are controllable but I haven't seen enough to be sure.

Top Bottom