• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West PC possibly less than 8 months after PS5 release according to latest NVIDIA Geforce leak

Bryank75

Banned
We missed you buddy. glad you are back.
High Five Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by filmeditor

Thanks bro, the cold sweats have stopped finally. I actually played some games while I was away.

JLB

Banned
It will inevitably happen, sooner rather than later.
And plenty of Playstations will get sold anyways. The only thing that will vanish after this becomes the norm is the idea that console exclusives are the main driver of console sales.

Bryank75

Banned
It will inevitably happen, sooner rather than later.
And plenty of Playstations will get sold anyways. The only thing that will vanish after this becomes the norm is the idea that console exclusives are the main driver of console sales.

Nah, the thing that will vanish after exclusives stop is Jim Ryan.....

Plenty is never enough for a corporation, I have no doubt that PS5 will not hit 100 million this generation due to his short-termism and lack of engagement and poor PR.

That's just how I feel and speculation but I see a lot of frustration with PS leadership all over the net.

All for just over 1 million sales, when Jim is talking about hundreds of millions.... the guy is a joke.

Midn1ght

Nah, the thing that will vanish after exclusives stop is Jim Ryan.....

Plenty is never enough for a corporation, I have no doubt that PS5 will not hit 100 million this generation due to his short-termism and lack of engagement and poor PR.

That's just how I feel and speculation but I see a lot of frustration with PS leadership all over the net.

All for just over 1 million sales, when Jim is talking about hundreds of millions.... the guy is a joke.

Maybe the business model is evolving and hardware sale numbers will matter less vs software, services and specially subscriptions.

I mean, Microsoft seems to be on a roll right now and it feels like a long term strategy starting to pay off.

They're releasing great games, everybody's playing them and that's money in the bank.

The times they are A-changin'

Welcome back Sir.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Maybe the business model is evolving and hardware sale numbers will matter less vs software, services and specially subscriptions.

I mean, Microsoft seems to be on a roll right now and it feels like a long term strategy starting to pay off.

They're releasing great games, everybody's playing them and that's money in the bank.

The times they are A-changin'

Welcome back Sir.

I think the audience is different and have different expectations.... MSFT already have that cloud infrastructure and are better suited to services, while Sony has always been a product based company that was well known for their hardware. Sony's customer service is atrocious and their services have never really taken off.

For me, the ideal situation would be if Sony did the console hardware going forward and let Gamepass on and discontinued PSNow, so there would be no barrier between console gamers....we all have access to everything.

yurinka

Jimbo got hired to expand into asian markets. Because he was also the one that setup europe in the original days. It's pretty obvious after his interview that this is his goal.

Which makes sense as the entire industry is moving into those markets.

He thinks PC is the key focus for the asian market as consoles are simple to limited. Add with it streaming that's around the corner that basically will make brand recognition the most important factor for people to subscribe towards something ( same reason why microsoft banks on gamepass to people to know there ip's more), they need to push there brands forwards and make there ip's known. This is why u see them focus heavily already straight out of the gate on PC, with renaming company's to PC solutions and getting new company's setup to port games to PC in the first year of the PS5.

They will do all of this expansion while trying to keep there current console market as happy as they can, so i could still see delays on titles moving to PC for now but they will want to probably push there PC releases sooner and sooner to the point of being the same day to push more brand recognision on PC forwards as they can leech of the marketing and hype which was deader then dead with there PC ports they currently pushed. Honestly non of my PC buddy's is talking about god of war.

This is why i don't think 2 years delay will happen on newer titles as they want to release them as soon as possible after there console version or on the same day eventually, even if it costs them sales.

I think jimbo recognises that he's in a market thats stagntant for playstation even with there huge success in the PS4 area, new gamers aren't incoming. This is also why u probably see dad of war instead of god of war. God of war was cool for 12 year olds, dad of war is cool for 30 year olds. The market shifts for them and they need to branche out and with 80 euro games + PS5 being 500 euro's u are not going to reach younger kids like they once did with the PS2 that will stick around to see the next ip when they get older.

I would also not be shocked if they will branch out into mobile sooner or later also.

I think personally and this is for the entire market, that at the end of the PS5 generation we will pretty much see every big pc and console IP being focused around Asian themes.
Console market isn't stagnant, it has been growing for years and it's expected to continue growing. PS4 broke many console gaming history records and PS5 started breaking some of them and they expect to get with PS5 a way higher market share than they had with PS4. They are more than happy with PS.

They already planned their expansion to PC via ports of some old games (plus PS Now and Remote Play) and mobile before Jim Ryan became CEO. Regarding mobile they said they will expand their existing bet on them and that will bring their PS game IPs to mobile. Inside gaming mobile (so F2P too) generates over half of the total revenue and has over half of the userbase, and it's also the top growing market. Same happens with Asia, it's by far the biggest market in the work specially thanks to Korea and mostly China.

Sony wants a part of that Asia and mobile pie, but consoles there don't work. So if they want to expand there they must do it with mobile games (not only via streaming with PS Now, but with native games) and also PC, which is the second biggest market there and the ones that supports similar games to the ones they make. And releasing them on PC also helps them reach PC players who never will buy a console and also some other secondary countries where consoles aren't a huge market due to different reasons like Russia or South America.

They won't be releasing their games on PC soon after the console launch (other than maybe a handful F2P/GaaS games) because need them as selling point for consoles, which is and will continue being their top revenue source due to mostly 3rd party game sales for it. Releasing their games on PC day one would kill the main selling point for their consoles, so the main revenue source for Sony.

They won't gamble with it, they will play it safe so they will continue porting games to PC that are almost 2 years old or so. Specially when they saw that PC gamers buy them even if old and that sales are good enough for them. The plan also includes to boost their game IPs using the other Sony divisions (movies, tv shows, etc)

TLDR: This strategy was already decided and they were working on it before Jimbo got promoted to CEO. He only continues implementing the plan.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

I think the audience is different and have different expectations.... MSFT already have that cloud infrastructure and are better suited to services, while Sony has always been a product based company that was well known for their hardware. Sony's customer service is atrocious and their services have never really taken off.

For me, the ideal situation would be if Sony did the console hardware going forward and let Gamepass on and discontinued PSNow, so there would be no barrier between console gamers....we all have access to everything.

Jim: "You give us The Elder Scrolls 6 and we release TLOU 1/2 and 3 on Xbox"
Phil:
Season 9 No GIF by The Office

Jim: "Knack and Knack 2 Remastered?"
Phil:
Season 4 Interest GIF by The Office

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
With Sony being so aggressive in PC now, yoi never know. Some people brought this up before in the various threads and that with chip shortages its not like Sony (or MS) are going to know last minute like us during covid hoarding and logistic delays.

They surely got the heads up long time ago from chip makers. So whatever PC strategy that had on the backburner Layden was working on years back got fast tracked so that their gaming division can get some PC sales for 2021 and 2022 and beyond.

Dream-Knife

Banned

Glad you're back

JimRyanGOAT

Launch these games Day 1 on Playstation Now like Gamepass if your gonna go this route tbh

At least Microsoft keeps you in the ecosystem through Gamepass, not some Sony Steam Page

Sony and these half commits are gonna cost them in the long run

Half committed to PC
Half Committed to Backward compatibility
Half Committed to Playstation Now

Last edited:

Neofire

Launch these games Day 1 on Playstation Now like Gamepass if your gonna go this route tbh

At least Microsoft keeps you in the ecosystem through Gamepass, not some Sony Steam Page

Half committed to PC
Cost them what exactly? You make it seem like Sony "needs" the PC community. You might want to have a relook at Sony's history and their success.

sainraja

Some publishers support playanywhere, MS definitely does, Sega are getting there.

Playstation doesn't yet support anything like it sadly.
Well, they kind of/sort of did in the past, but it was before the current leadership with titles across their own platforms (with the cross buy program — Vita, PS3, PS4; ofcourse, they didn't support PC at all at that point). At launch time for the PS4, I had games to play on the PS4 that I wasn't even expecting to have there.

Last edited:

captainpat

It is the best and worst time to be a pc gamer. All these console exclusive games finally coming to pcs right as PCs are at their most expensive.

JimRyanGOAT

Cost them what exactly? You make it seem like Sony "needs" the PC community. You might want to have a relook at Sony's history and their success.

It could potentially cost them market share in the long run

It's not about "now" it's about 10-15 years from now

If sony is porting games to PC, why not go the gamepass route in the near future?

reksveks

Well, they kind of/sort of did in the past, but it was before the current leadership with titles across their own platforms (with the cross buy program — Vita, PS3, PS4; ofcourse, they didn't support PC at all at that point). At launch time for the PS4, I had games to play on the PS4 that I wasn't even expecting to have there.
I did like the crossbuy program, don't think I ever used it sadly but only ever bought one or two games on the vita.

Half committed to PC

Out of the three console makers, I think Sony's in the shakiest ground

MS got unlimited money (Bethesda), PC/gamepass/cloud strategy
Nintendo got its own walled garden, iconic IPs, Japan and handheld market

Sony got half-ass strategy of everything

Last edited:

Neofire

Out of the three console makers, I think Sony's in the shakiest ground

MS got unlimited money (Bethesda), PC/gamepass/cloud strategy
Nintendo got its own walled garden, iconic IPs, Japan and handheld market

Sony got half-ass strategy of everything
Half-assed strategy but has been the market leader for 4 out of the 5(some could argue they lead during the PS3 era too) console iterations? Lol you are talking out the side of your mouth with this statement.

Top Bottom