• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West PC possibly less than 8 months after PS5 release according to latest NVIDIA Geforce leak

Bartski

Gold Member
According to the recent leak of release dates coming from Nvidia dated 26 September, (kudos to KyoZz KyoZz for posting), Horizon Forbidden West is (or was) supposed to come out on PC on 30.09.2022, less than 8 months after its planned release as PS5 exclusive.

Leaked list post and link:

This is absolutely huge. Is it a glitch in the matrix and an experiment of some kind by Jimbo the devil incarnate, or is this really the next step in the evolution of Sony Playstation towards a platform-independent software publisher and their rumored plans for this gen, to release its first party titles on PC same year as on console?

We now know that the listed publisher "PlayStation Mobile Inc." got recently rebranded "Playstation PC".

The list also contains PC release dates for Ghost of Tsushima (2022-02-08), Rachet and Clank (2022-10-03), Sackboy (2022-05-01) and Returnal (2022-04-30).

Last edited:

saintjules

With the lack of PS5's readily available, they may need to push it on PC earlier than expected to even things out a bit. Probably a case-by-case basis with games as the lifecycle progresses.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. It frustrates Jim that his potential max reach to gamers is currently limited under the Console ecosystem.

Edit: words.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
According to the recent leak of release dates coming from Nvidia dated 23 September, (kudos to KyoZz KyoZz for posting), Horizon Forbidden West is (or was) supposed to come out on PC on 30.09.2022, less than 8 months after its planned release as PS5 exclusive.

Leaked list post and link:

This is absolutely huge. Is it a glitch in the matrix and an experiment of some kind by Jimbo the devil incarnate, or is this really the next step in the evolution of Sony Playstation towards a platform-independent software publisher and their rumored plans for this gen, to release its first party titles on PC same year as on console?

We now know that the listed publisher "PlayStation Mobile Inc." got recently rebranded "Playstation PC".

The list also contains PC release dates for Ghost of Tsushima (2022-02-08), Rachet and Clank (2022-10-03), Sackboy (2022-05-01) and Returnal (2022-04-30).

These dates are already being confirmed as placeholders only.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Its coming

jurassic park dinosaur GIF

PS - Sorry Bryank

Last edited:

skit_data

Sony doesn’t realize what a huge PS5 sales collapse is going happen from doing this. What a bunch of idiots these new executives are.

All this 2 years later talk was a bunch of lying bullshit like I said.
Some will undoubtedly skip buying a PS5 but predicting a ”collapse” is a bit much.

I don’t see Xbox collapsing since going day and date. They are supposedly doing better numbers than ever.

mejin

Sony doesn’t realize what a huge PS5 sales collapse is going happen from doing this. What a bunch of idiots these new executives are.

I think they do, but they're beting it won't be as bad.

In any case, the executives could always just let the next heads to worry about the consequences LOL

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It does not make sense to wait honestly. And look at steam how well MS and Sony games are doing. It's crazy to leave this cash on the table.

And like we got few days ago, very little people own PS5 + PC, so it does not really take anything from PS5.

I have beefy PC, but I only play on consoles. I am sure I am not alone.

vdopey

many of them - sure, but many are not. The sheer possibility that at some point such a release date was in the cards enough to make it into this database is a huge revelation imo and really points at things to come. As an avid 2-3 year theory proponent I'm eating huge L if true.
If they plan on killing ps6 sales release all of their games day & date on PC - makes the console completely redundant. Maybe they just don't want to maintain a hardware platform anymore. I guess if streaming does take off within the next 10 years then consoles may well die ? I might have to rethink my position here - I certainly wouldn't buy a ps6 if I can get everything on steam.

skit_data

It does not make sense to wait honestly. And look at steam how well MS and Sony games are doing. It's crazy to leave this cash on the table.

And like we got few days ago, very little people own PS5 + PC, so it does not really take anything from PS5.

I have beefy PC, but I only play on consoles. I am sure I am not alone.
I’d say it makes some sense waiting for a while until they have completely saturated the PS5 userbase, where they get a bigger profit.

Putting the games on Steam will instantly decrease the profit margin vs selling it on PS Store.

…unless… they get their own PC storefront/launcher

I'll give the game another try, but couldn't finish the first one. Got bored quickly, and played some other game that came out at the time.
I still couldn't bring myself to try the first one. Gonna have to give it a serious try before February I guess. Always hated the main character, but the gameplay looks alright.

M1chl

I’d say it makes some sense waiting for a while until they have completely saturated the PS5 userbase, where they get a bigger profit.

Putting the games on Steam will instantly decrease the profit margin vs selling it on PS Store.

…unless… they get their own PC storefront/launcher
That's a good point, haven't considered it. What is it? 30%?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
With the lack of PS5's readily available, they may need to push it on PC earlier than expected to even things out a bit. Probably a case-by-case basis with games as the lifecycle progresses.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. It frustrates Jim that his potential max reach for users is limited by Console hardware sales.

Wouldn't they have done this strategy already with their other console exclusives? Remember too, HFW is not PS5 exclusive so they will have more than enough systems purchasing the games (while still having that next generation experience as a motivator for folks to jump on PS5 stock when it becomes available).

. . .still, within the same year seems odd given that we've not heard any rumblings about their other products that will have been out longer.

M1chl

I’m not sure what Valve takes out of each game sold, but I’d guess its at least 15-20%, a not isignificant amount if sales are going really well.
Could be different for big publishers, but I obviously don't know : )

With the lack of PS5's readily available, they may need to push it on PC earlier than expected to even things out a bit.
But its basically a PS4 game. The PS4 and PS5 install base would be enough for them to make profit off the game at launch.

Its would be shocking if they released this game on PC so soon.

I would probably go all in on a PC if this becomes a trend because PS5 and Series X would be a waste IMO at that point.

Last edited:

reksveks

I’m not sure what Valve takes out of each game sold, but I’d guess its at least 15-20%, a not isignificant amount if sales are going really well.
It depends on the amount of game sold. Starts out at 30% and ends at 20%.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
VFX redeemed?
Just my personal take but yeah

The old Fable applies here about putting a frog in a boiling pot of water he will jump out but put him in cool water and slowly turn up the heat he will not notice the danger and slowly boil to death.

Sony is in the process of turning up the "heat"

We will see day one PS exclusives launch on PC eventually, too much money there to ignore.

Haggard

Banned

Sony`s profits from the base hardware have always been negligible.
The money comes from subscriptions and software sales. The "bunch of idiots" aren`t the executives at Sony but the wannabe experts crying about how "their" brand dares to make money in a way they don`t like.....

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
The closer to launch the bigger the hype = more money. Less than a year from launch would mean more people will be willing to pay 70$, as oppose to current lowered prices that include DLCs already.

You really need to remember that a PS5 is currently really powerful and not a half baked shit show like last gen. Buying a gaming PC is right now a nightmare. Why spend 1-2000 when you can spend 500 and play the games.

On Demand

Banned
Just my personal take but yeah

The old Fable applies here about putting a frog in a boiling pot of water he will jump out but put him in cool water and slowly turn up the heat he will not notice the danger and slowly boil to death.

Sony is in the process of turning up the "heat"

We will see day one PS exclusives launch on PC eventually, too much money there to ignore.

Turning up the heat and crumbling their PlayStation business yeah I agree.

Sony is not Microsoft. MS owns their entire PC platform which 99% people use. MS could have put their games on PC during the 360 generation if they wanted to. At this point it clear they don’t are about selling that much hardware anymore. It’s a losing battle against Sony.

It’s a fools errand trying to chase a couple extra million dollars on PC.

Sony`s profits from the base hardware have always been neglegible.
The money comes from subscriptions and software sales. The "bunch of idiots" aren`t the executives at Sony but the wannabe experts crying about how "their" brand dares to make money in a way they don`t like.....

Even worse. PC doesn’t have any, nor will tolerate, subscription services. So Sony will lose that the more people go over to PC instead of buying a PS5.

Same for software sales. They make more money from physically and digital games, digital especially on their own PS store, than selling it on somebody else’s store.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes, 9/30/22 seems like a placeholder. Horizon Forbidden West was probably going to release in September before it was delayed to February 2022.

It also has Injustice 3 and Mortal Kombat 12 releasing a few months apart.. Just don't see that at all.

Topher

Gold Member
Turning up the heat and crumbling their PlayStation business yeah I agree.

Sony is not Microsoft. MS owns their entire PC platform which 99% people use. MS could have put their games on PC during the 360 generation if they wanted to. At this point it clear they don’t are about selling that much hardware anymore. It’s a losing battle against Sony.

It’s a fools errand trying to chase a couple extra million dollars on PC.

I disagree. This isn't going to "crumble" the PlayStation business at all. Console gamers will still buy games on console. And MS doesn't own the "entire PC platform". If they didn't then they would not be selling their games through Steam. The difference between the current gen and the 360 years was the cost to port is much lower now since everything is x86.

Pejo

While I think this is likely placeholder info, I'm assuming they're worried about software sales being low. PC is a pretty low-investment platform to port to to help with that.

sainraja

Sony needs their brand to have reach outside of their consoles. The problem they are trying to address right now is of reach (sure they are the best selling right now but you still have to be ready to pivot or respond to how the industry might change.) The future problem that they will need to address or get ahead of is making sure people still have reasons to go for their own hardware.

Personally, I will continue to go play games on a console as long as there are consoles. I know we can use controllers on the PC but getting them to work seamlessly between all games & platforms (e.g. GOG, Steam, EPIC — Steam handles it the best but it's not perfect) is an issue I don't really like to deal with and I also just prefer gaming on the TV. I don't want any of the gaming companies to fully embrace the PC where we don't get a console anymore and I also don't want a stream only future where the hardware is just a dumb box to facilitate streaming.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Funny how things seem to be turning out just like I said they would. This was Jim's plan all along. It's also funny how Jim says "X" thing about the "competition" only to follow in the competition's footsteps one at time. Slowly but surely. He's a total corporate head to the bone. They only thing he won't do anytime soon is a gamepass version for PlayStation.

Top Bottom