• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West "on track" for holiday release, but "that isn’t quite certain yet"

truth411

It’s likely Horizon was meant to be in the spring, with GoW in the Holiday. But we know that Covid has effected games anywhere from 6-12 months or even more. Horizon has been knocked back, but another hit wouldn’t be surprising at all, thus Sony’s statement
Naw, last year on the fine print in some of PS5 advertisement. Returnal, GT7 and R&C were advertised as 1st half of the year games. Horizon 2 as a 2nd half of the year game, with G.O.W. as a 2021 title, I think Horizon was originally a September title.
Keep in mind that they started development back in 2017 and they are a larger studio than Sony Santa Monica, around 450 devs.

yurinka

MS has marketing rights to Far Cry 6. A bunch of timed exclusives (which aren’t even AAA), do these count now ?

It will be interesting to compare the first year of the XSX (with all the doom and gloom) with the ps5 at December 31 2021.
Timed Exclusives count as their first Party output?
They are part of their strategy, they build a roadmap of big games important for them to schedule their marketing plans and release schedule. That even includes games that are multi since day one but they have marketing deal.

In a recent Sony slide they shown REVIII in H1 and Far Cry 6 in H2, so I assume that Sony is the one with marketing deal, as they did with REVIII (we even saw the leaked document).

Last edited:
We could be getting a full gameplay showcase in a month just like Horizon. If we get a gameplay reveal in June I can't see why they can't release in a year
Because that's not how it works. Studios don't wait until 6 or 12 months before release to show a game. If you have nothing to show, not even a cgi trailer it's because the game is just not ready for showcase.

I can't even think of a game reveal where the game launched in the next twelve months except for new consoles because obviously developers weren't able to show the game without showing the console first.

Because that's not how it works. Studios don't wait until 6 or 12 months before release to show a game. If you have nothing to show, not even a cgi trailer it's because the game is just not ready for showcase.

I can't even think of a game reveal where the game launched in the next twelve months except for new consoles because obviously developers weren't able to show the game without showing the console first.
Bethesda usually releases games within a few months of initial reveal. Remember Fallout 4 and Wolfenstein 2? They were both revealed at E3 2015 and released that same Holiday season. Leads credence to the Starfield in 2021 rumors.

KAL2006

Banned

Seems like lots of Devs do this though. COD, Battlefield and when Assaisns Creed get announced within 12 months of release. Bethesda has also done this. And of course Nintendo have announced many games and released within 12 months. I could see Sony following the same strategy times have changed we can't use previous ways a publishers did their marketing.

Bethesda usually releases games within a few months of initial reveal. Remember Fallout 4 and Wolfenstein 2? They were both revealed at E3 2015 and released that same Holiday season. Leads credence to the Starfield in 2021 rumors.
That changed after that year, last time they showed a lot more stuff that was way out in the future plus it's not up to them anymore and MS needs to start showing some games.

Last edited:

JCK75

I guess if she spends hours of gameplay with her face being smashed on the rocks it explains why it now looks that way.

skit_data

Well... what about Elder Scrolls 6? Or Starfield? Or do you mean gameplay reveal specifically?

If there are too many exceptions to a rule it can hardly be considered a rule

What are you talking about? Starfield was announced like 6 years ago. Anyway, that game would be the exception to the rule.

Now tell me what Sony studio has done this.

Last edited:
Seems like lots of Devs do this though. COD, Battlefield and when Assaisns Creed get announced within 12 months of release. Bethesda has also done this. And of course Nintendo have announced many games and released within 12 months. I could see Sony following the same strategy times have changed we can't use previous ways a publishers did their marketing.
Lol what? You're comparing a yearly release to a proper game? You might as well say FIFA gets revealed a few months before release lmao.

Nintendo is a different ball game, they don't make 30-40 hours games and when they do (Zelda) they announce it like 3 years before.

Bartski

Gold Member

We have just successfully completed our beta milestone, which is pretty far along. We're now in the final stages of development. So we are polishing the game and fixing bugs. We are also wrapping up certain aspects of the game, like some of the machines being behind schedule - because it takes an enormous amount of time to build them. We're working on the final cinematic. So, we're really wrapping up. There's still a lot to do with a game of this size and magnitude, but we're in the final stages.

e&e

Banned
They are part of their strategy, they build a roadmap of big games important for them to schedule their marketing plans and release schedule. That even includes games that are multi since day one but they have marketing deal.

In a recent Sony slide they shown REVIII in H1 and Far Cry 6 in H2, so I assume that Sony is the one with marketing deal, as they did with REVIII (we even saw the leaked document).
Oh so this counts for MS too?

Either end of this year or early next year. I guess it depends on if they run into any issues that would cause a delay. The good news about Covid is that it has died down a lot due to vaccinations. It properly wouldn't be the cause of the delay if it happens.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They can take their time with the PC release. I just got done with Horizon: Zero Dawn and Days Gone on Steam, gonna finish the rest of the Yakuza games, Halo games and others.

Yoboman

Eh, in projects this size 6 months is nothing.
The final 6 months of game development is like going from a box of puzzle pieces to a completed jigsaw

Its generally the time you will see the most tangible day to day results in how development is tracking g

Last edited:
Top Bottom