• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West "on track" for holiday release, but "that isn’t quite certain yet"

Horizon-Release_06-02-21.jpg

Horizon Forbidden West is “on track” to launch for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 this holiday season, but “that isn’t quite certain yet,” PlayStation Studios head Hermen Hulst said in a newly published PlayStation Blog interview.

“We think we are on track to release [Horizon Forbidden West] this holiday season,” Hulst said. “But that isn’t quite certain yet, and we’re working as hard as we can to confirm that to you as soon as we can.”

Sony Interactive Entertainment showcased 14 minutes of Horizon Forbidden West gameplay last week. If you missed it, catch the full presentation here.

KAL2006

Banned
This is what I reckon will happen.

Horizon Forbidden West - February 2022
God of War Ragnarok - May 2022
Grab Turismo 7 - September 2022
Last of Factions - October 2022
Last of Us 1 Remake - February 2023

So we getting cross gen and a remake until 2023 I guess. And the first next gen only game after Rachet will be a remake of Last of Us 1.

Let's hope we have hidden 2nd teams for Guerilla Games and Naughty Dog to be able to get a game done for PS5 only by 2023 or atleast Sucker Punch and Bend are ready to release their next gen only game for 2023. Or else we waiting for until 2026 for the next gen only God of War and 2028 for next gen only Grab Turismo. If we don't get the bug hitter next gen only games by 2023 then this will really suck. Last gen Killzone and inFamous where actually graphical showpieces but the games themselves were average. It wasn't until Bloodborne when things got interesting. Bloodborne released 16 months after PS4 released, unfortunately in that timeframe all we get is Ratchet and Returnal (I cannot count Demons Souls as that's just a 1:1 remake). Bloodborne is more hype than Returnal and Ratchet for me personally. And we also got things like Witcher 3 around that timeframe and I doubt we will get heavy hitter 3rd party next gen only exclusives around that same timeframe.

AGRacing

Gold Member
These guys are going to have nothing in the fall are they?! Went from 3 exclusive games this fall to a big fat 0!?

"Holiday release" already means February to these guys anyway... we might see this thing in June 2022 at this rate. I absolutely hate these bullshit release windows and dates.

GHG

Gold Member
These guys are going to have nothing in the fall are they?! Went from 3 exclusive games this fall to a big fat 0!?

"Holiday release" already means February to these guys anyway... we might see this thing in June 2022 at this rate. I absolutely hate these bullshit release windows and dates.

Then it's a good thing we can have games coming out at all times of the year rather than just "fall".

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
My guess is that it gets delayed to February 25th, 2022.

kyliethicc

Take. Your. Fucking. Time.

PLEASE !!!!

Learn from CDPR and Cybershit.
Sony always delay, instead of rushing out games unfinished.

I appreciate the honesty of Hulst here, he says clearly they want it out in November, but it might slip.

"But when you’re doing performance capture for a lot of cinematics, with multiple actors — that’s not so simple to solve. So you’ve got a choice. You could do it later in the schedule, which could cause you problems. Or you could risk the final quality by doing it in a different way."

"But I can tell you, we’re not going to risk the quality. We want to ship extremely high quality games, finished games, and we have to do that obviously without pushing our teams to the breaking point."

"So we have, currently, two very big, very narrative-driven games in development: Horizon Forbidden West and the next God of War. And for both of those, they’re frankly affected by access to performance capture and talent. For Horizon, we think we are on track to release this holiday season. But that isn’t quite certain yet, and we’re working as hard as we can to confirm that to you as soon as we can."

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
Then it's a good thing we can have games coming out at all times of the year rather than just "fall".
Oh give me a break. Let's bring a big marquee exclusive to PS5 this Christmas eh? Let's not sell the console every fall with the next COD and AC games.

And most importantly - Let's keep our DAMMED MOUTHS SHUT if we aren't going to hit the date or windows we are spewing in the first place. Learn some fucking self control.

The error from CP2077 was never launching "early". The error was giving windows and then later actual dates that were pipe dreams.. then officially making those claims lies by pushing them. GOW 2021. Lie. Gran Turismo 2021. Lie. Shut up and work until it's done... then give a real date.

GHG

Gold Member
Oh give me a break. Let's bring a big marquee exclusive to PS5 this Christmas eh? Let's not sell the console every fall with the next COD and AC games.

And most importantly - Let's keep our DAMMED MOUTHS SHUT if we aren't going to hit the date or windows we are spewing in the first place. Learn some fucking self control.

The error from CP2077 was never launching "early". The error was giving windows and then later actual dates that were pipe dreams.. then officially making those claims lies by pushing them. GOW 2021. Lie. Gran Turismo 2021. Lie. Shut up and work until it's done... then give a real date.

Nobody "needs" a marquee exclusive for Christmas for goodness sake. It's a period jam packed with 3rd party titles trying to release in time for the Christmas rush.

The vast majority of 1st party titles from Sony have always released outside of the "fall period" and they try to release them when they are ready rather than rushing them out for little Timmy gamers who need to ask mummy and daddy to buy their games for them at Christmas.

Name all the PS4 games that were "marquee" fall releases other than GT Sport. I'll wait.

kyliethicc

Nobody "needs" a marquee exclusive for Christmas for goodness sake. It's a period jam packed with 3rd party titles trying to release in time for the Christmas rush.

The vast majority of 1st party titles from Sony have always released outside of the "fall period" and they try to release them when they are ready rather than rushing them out for little Timmy gamers who need to ask mummy and daddy to buy their games for them at Christmas.

Name all the PS4 games that were "marquee" fall releases other than GT Sport. I'll wait.
Well, Sony didn't do many fall releases, besides console launch years, but they did still have some.

And they clearly had others planned for fall ship dates, but they all got delayed into next year. (Horizon, Uncharted, etc)

Still tho,
- Death Stranding, Nov 2019
- GT Sport, Oct 2017
- Last Guardian, Dec 2016
- Littlebigplanet 3, Nov 2014

Then there's Spider-man, Sept 7th 2018. So end of summer / almost early fall.
(3 DLCs right after in Oct, Nov, Dec 2018, too.)

Obviously some of those games sold far more copies than some others did. LBP3 isn't exactly a AAA release.

Last edited:
i honestly think your only going to see 2 big sony exclusives next year.

March 2022 - Horizon Zero Dawn 2
July 2022 - Smaller first party or dlc type product...probably Factions
Nov 2022 - God of War

GT defiantly not this year or the next....until they show actual footage i would start the 2 year countdown from there

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If Horizon doesnt make it this year, Sony wouldve launched just 2 games this year. 1st party studios wouldve launched just one game.

And if they dont acquire Insomniac last year, their first party wouldve had zero games come out this year.

Just goes to show that there are some really gaping holes in their lineup and they better tighten this shit up quick.

Dr Bass

Do you know when Fall ends and Winter begins?

If Horizon doesnt make it this year, Sony wouldve launched just 2 games this year. 1st party studios wouldve launched just one game.

And if they dont acquire Insomniac last year, their first party wouldve had zero games come out this year.

Just goes to show that there are some really gaping holes in their lineup and they better tighten this shit up quick.

Can't grow studios overnight.

I think by the end of this gen all the major studios will be set-up like Insomniac games. Games that are of good length, quality, but aren't bloated, don't take 5 years to make, and they have multiple teams running in parallel.

Ted Price should be Co-President of WWS with Hermen lol

SlimySnake

Are you kidding lmfao? What is Sony releasing this fall?
nothing.
Can't grow studios overnight.

I think by the end of this gen all the major studios will be set-up like Insomniac games. Games that are of good length, quality, but aren't bloated, don't take 5 years to make, and they have multiple teams running in parallel.

Ted Price should be Co-President of WWS with Hermen lol
lol i said that last month. Herman takes like 6 years to release one game. Ted Price releases like 4 games in that same time frame.

OrionNebula

Sony releasing a big single player first party game during the holidays? When did that happen last?
Plus most physical retail stores having no ps5s on the shelves this year?
No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

My money is on Feb 2022 as long as BOTW2 is not releasing in that 2-3-months radius around Feb

Defrop

Banned

Playstation definitely needs a few more studios/ips

Kojipro
Remedy
Blupoint
From Software

If Sony doesn’t buy them out, M$ and Co will

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Playstation definitely needs a few more studios/ips

Kojipro
Remedy
Blupoint
From Software

If Sony doesn’t buy them out, M$ and Co will
Agreed. Especially when looking at the fact that second party studios like From Software, Bluepoint, KojiPro, Supermassive, Ready At Dawn and Quantic Dream produced 6 very important games for Sony at the start and towards the tail end of the gen.

Take out these few games and the PS4 exclusive lineup starts to look very barebones.
- Bloodborne
- Detroit
- Until Dawn
- The Order
- SoTC
- Death Stranding

They have supposedly cut ties with all of these studios after poor sales of Death Stranding, Detroit and Demon Souls so they better have other 2nd parties lined up to fill in the gap. In 2015 when BB, Order and Until Dawn came out, Sony first parties produced a grand total of 0 exclusives. In 2018, 1 game. GoW. Insomniac wasnt owned by them in 2018. In 2019, 1 game. Days Gone. This is Nintendo and MS levels of first party output.

They NEED more studios more than ever.

e&e

Banned
Sony releasing a big single player first party game during the holidays? When did that happen last?
Plus most physical retail stores having no ps5s on the shelves this year?
No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

My money is on Feb 2022 as long as BOTW2 is not releasing in that 2-3-months radius around Feb
You don’t want the infamous BOTW vs HZD but part 2?

This is what I reckon will happen.

Horizon Forbidden West - February 2022
God of War Ragnarok - May 2022
Grab Turismo 7 - September 2022
Last of Factions - October 2022
Last of Us 1 Remake - February 2023

So we getting cross gen and a remake until 2023 I guess. And the first next gen only game after Rachet will be a remake of Last of Us 1.

Let's hope we have hidden 2nd teams for Guerilla Games and Naughty Dog to be able to get a game done for PS5 only by 2023 or atleast Sucker Punch and Bend are ready to release their next gen only game for 2023. Or else we waiting for until 2026 for the next gen only God of War and 2028 for next gen only Grab Turismo. If we don't get the bug hitter next gen only games by 2023 then this will really suck. Last gen Killzone and inFamous where actually graphical showpieces but the games themselves were average. It wasn't until Bloodborne when things got interesting. Bloodborne released 16 months after PS4 released, unfortunately in that timeframe all we get is Ratchet and Returnal (I cannot count Demons Souls as that's just a 1:1 remake). Bloodborne is more hype than Returnal and Ratchet for me personally. And we also got things like Witcher 3 around that timeframe and I doubt we will get heavy hitter 3rd party next gen only exclusives around that same timeframe.
I don't get why the fuck people think God of War is close to release. God of War was revealed with gameplay in 2016 and was released two years later. We have a fuckin logo, that's all, nothing else. Why do you people think God of War is close to release? It isn't. It would be holiday 2022 at the earliest, more like a 2023 game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom