• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Master Aloy’s new abilities (new 25 second clip)

Traversal looks really slick I like how it flows into the shooting.

Not sure how I feel about the improved melee combat.

Yeah the melee sucked in the first one but it was clearly a 3rd person shooter. It felt right to take down these giant machines with traps and ranged weapons you shouldn't be able to take down a 10ft metal sabre tooth cat with a spear.

It's gonna feel very silly if I can melee a thunderjaw to death!

Anyone else feel the same

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Traversal looks really slick I like how it flows into the shooting.

Not sure how I feel about the improved melee combat.

Yeah the melee sucked in the first one but it was clearly a 3rd person shooter. It felt right to take down these giant machines with traps and ranged weapons you shouldn't be able to take down a 10ft metal sabre tooth cat with a spear.

It's gonna feel very silly if I can melee a thunderjaw to death!

Anyone else feel the same
No more silly than taking down a metal thunderjaw with bows and arrows.

Last edited:
I didn't I used bombs and trip mines😜

Obviously you need suspension of disbelief to play and everyone's limit is different. I guess mine is hitting machines with a stick.

It's not just Immersion though all of horizons gameplay depth was in its ranged combat. I always felt the melee was a last resort and if you used it your playing it wrong.

It's almost impossible to have a deep ranged combat system and deep melee combat system in the same game bur maybe guerilla can prove me wrong

SlimySnake

It's almost impossible to have a deep ranged combat system and deep melee combat system in the same game bur maybe guerilla can prove me wrong
This I agree with, and why i never understood why everyone was clamoring for melee combat in a third person shooter like Horizon. its like asking for a deep melee combat system in gears of war or uncharted. Thats not what this game is.

That said, Horizon is trying to be an RPG. And that means you have to allow people to play the way they want to play. Even Souls games have range builds that let you play the entire game as an archrer. So if thats what they are going for in this game, i would be ok with it. I do think melee combat will make clearing human camps more fun. They werent fun with arrows. Rise of Tomb Raider let you select up to three enemies for a stealth kill. I think Horizon needed abilities like that to spice things up a bit.

P.S Traps took too much time and preparation. I figured out the best way to take out all these bigger dinobots. You grab a bunch of freeze arrows. Freeze them, then use tear arrows to rip off their guns. Then do 3x damage to them using their own weapons.

FrankWza

I didn’t love HZD but that was at the end of open world rope. The one thing I hope is it keeps me from not wanting to put in the effort to use the engaging combat tactics because it’s easy to get lazy and just cheese your way through these types of games. Even on hard mode. But, this looks pretty incredible and the aesthetic lends itself well to showcasing graphics just as the original did when it launched.

Last edited:
This I agree with, and why i never understood why everyone was clamoring for melee combat in a third person shooter like Horizon. its like asking for a deep melee combat system in gears of war or uncharted. Thats not what this game is.

That said, Horizon is trying to be an RPG. And that means you have to allow people to play the way they want to play. Even Souls games have range builds that let you play the entire game as an archrer. So if thats what they are going for in this game, i would be ok with it. I do think melee combat will make clearing human camps more fun. They werent fun with arrows. Rise of Tomb Raider let you select up to three enemies for a stealth kill. I think Horizon needed abilities like that to spice things up a bit.

P.S Traps took too much time and preparation. I figured out the best way to take out all these bigger dinobots. You grab a bunch of freeze arrows. Freeze them, then use tear arrows to rip off their guns. Then do 3x damage to them using their own weapons.
I think God of war is the only game that effortlessly combines ranged and melee into one system.

I think Horizon issue was it drew attention to its melee. You had 2 different attacks and you could upgrade it to take down bigger machines. Where as in uncharted, gears etc it often used to finish off a wounded foe etc. Horizon has enemies get In your face more as well.

I can see what you mean with dark souls rpg comparison. Although in that context your usually swapping a ranged weapon for melee as opposed to fluidly going from one to the other in the middle of a fight. I didn't know you beat dark souls as an archer got any cool vids to see? I always felt the magic in dark souls was weak though.

To be fair what we have been shown so far is encouraging. I like that the spear powers up and you can displace energy with it as opposed to just whacking machines which is what I am most concerned with.

Then again if it feels wonky we will still get an amazing 3rd person shooter!

SlimySnake

I think God of war is the only game that effortlessly combines ranged and melee into one system.

I think Horizon issue was it drew attention to its melee. You had 2 different attacks and you could upgrade it to take down bigger machines. Where as in uncharted, gears etc it often used to finish off a wounded foe etc. Horizon has enemies get In your face more as well.

I can see what you mean with dark souls rpg comparison. Although in that context your usually swapping a ranged weapon for melee as opposed to fluidly going from one to the other in the middle of a fight. I didn't know you beat dark souls as an archer got any cool vids to see? I always felt the magic in dark souls was weak though.

To be fair what we have been shown so far is encouraging. I like that the spear powers up and you can displace energy with it as opposed to just whacking machines which is what I am most concerned with.

Then again if it feels wonky we will still get an amazing 3rd person shooter!
Bow builds in DS games are very OP.

Magic builds too. Though magic does require a lot of gear to be OP which you dont get until mid way through the game. They are good for NG+ runs.

nowhat

I found the tear arrows to be quite redundant after you get the Shadow Hunter bow - just use the hardpoint arrows and add a purple tear mod or two, works pretty much the same, fires faster and does damage too. But using the traps sucked, granted. I mostly blame this on the controls, juggling the items with D-pad left/right just never felt good.

sainraja

Naughtydog wanted a deeper melee combat system in the first one but they didn't have time to implement it. We saw them improve hand to hand combat little by little in the sequels but I wonder what they were initially planning.

Elios83

New gif showcases some really interesting gameplay improvements compared to the original.
The weak points of the original for me were the weak side missions and the cities/villages not having enough interactions with NPCs and not enough building interiors.
I hope they have improved these aspects as well.
The game looks jaw dropping and it's clear fighting with dino-robots will be really cool.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

New gif showcases some really interesting gameplay improvements compared to the original.
The weak points of the original for me were the weak side missions and the cities/villages not having enough interactions with NPCs and not enough building interiors.
I hope they have improved these aspects as well.
The game looks jaw dropping and it's clear figjting with dino-robots will be really cool.
Yep. They really need to up the detail in cities. Meridian was hyped up like this amazing city but it was basically a tiny market at the end.

What I want to see is something on the scale of St. Denis in RDR2. With pedestrians walking around going about their daily life and then have dinobots attack and ravage it like Jurassic Park 2. Same with the smaller settlements. There should be a threat of regular attacks from the outside world. Otherwise there is no tension and no real repercussions. Metal Gear Survive had you guard your base everyday to repel attacks. You could level up your defenses and have the AI fight for you, but you could still lose your crops, your livestock and other critical facilities you had spent a lot to upgrade. More games need to have that kind of tower defense modes.

Elios83

Yep. They really need to up the detail in cities. Meridian was hyped up like this amazing city but it was basically a tiny market at the end.

What I want to see is something on the scale of St. Denis in RDR2. With pedestrians walking around going about their daily life and then have dinobots attack and ravage it like Jurassic Park 2. Same with the smaller settlements. There should be a threat of regular attacks from the outside world. Otherwise there is no tension and no real repercussions. Metal Gear Survive had you guard your base everyday to repel attacks. You could level up your defenses and have the AI fight for you, but you could still lose your crops, your livestock and other critical facilities you had spent a lot to upgrade. More games need to have that kind of tower defense modes.
Yes the cities and smaller villages in the original felt like dioramas.
They need meaningful NPCs interactions, some interesting stories related to these characters.
Graphics and fighting with dinos were already nailed down. Now they need to improve the game as an immersive story based RPG.
I hope they can do that with the sequel and it will be a true masterpiece for me although many already consider the original as such.

GymWolf

The vast majoritiy plays games on normal or easy. I don't know how it was on ultra hard, but on normal you could easily beat the game with just normal bowshot + dodge roll. Dodge roll was close to a cheat to me.
Yeah normal is a joke, but not changing difficulty when you notice that the game is a cakewalk is kinda on you dude, nobody forced you to play roll spam for 30 hours or so, especially when you have 3 other difficulty modes to chose.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I like this costume so much more. It almost looks like she's from the Thundercats universe.

Her feet blatantly hovering above the ground/surface is still jarring (at the end of the clip)..I couldnt unsee it in the gameplay demo and I can't unsee it now.
Yeah the veganist reveal costume was fucking horrendous :lollipop_squinting:

GymWolf

I mean, you hit exposed weak points and use elemental status like blast\explosion, far less silly than knocking a gigantic dinobot with a stick of wood.

If you hit the armour with the arrows you do almost no damage, esecially at highest difficulty.

Bow builds in DS games are very OP.

Magic builds too. Though magic does require a lot of gear to be OP which you dont get until mid way through the game. They are good for NG+ runs.

Thanks that's pretty interesting.

Those videos some up why I dislike range attacks in soul games. Lock on and spam attacks if you can't precisely aim it at individual body parts etc it's not a proper shooter. Something that horizon does better than any other game I know

I mean, you hit exposed weak points and use elemental status like blast\explosion, far less silly than knocking a gigantic dinobot with a stick of wood.

If you hit the armour with the arrows you do almost no damage, esecially at highest difficulty.
Yep. And you get later weapons that feel like have they have some proper omff. Tearblast arrows, blast sling, ice BFG etc.

I mean sure it's still silly but I would say less so.

I think the enemies are better designed for range combat as well. Often staying back themselves with range attacks occasionally coming in for a tail swipe etc

I keep getting back here to rewatch the gif and make these faces
7R4LaNE.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Still haven't played the first one :pie_roffles:

Own the complete edition digital, but waiting to enjoy that 60FPS on the PS5 when I can find one retail.

Maybe I should just play it on the PC? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Aenima

The gameplay improvements look amazing. Looks like a much more fun to play game compared to the 1st one. And i already had fun with the 1st game and all the tools and traps it offered.

Gold Member
Looks impressive, I enjoyed the first one will be picking this one up for sure. The first one looked absolutely amazing on PS4 Pro so I'm not surprised this one is a looker too!

Top Bottom