• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Gameplay Trailer

kyliethicc

I'm not going 25+ years with the term 2nd party being universally accepted, not a single person on a planet of 6 billion contesting it, only to change it now because Sony likes playing with language. Especially with a worse term that's less specific.

If it was fine for everyone that long, it's fine today.
None of what you just said is true.

I'm not going 25+ years with the term 2nd party being universally accepted, not a single person on a planet of 6 billion contesting it, only to change it now because Sony likes playing with language.

If it was fine for everyone that long, it's fine today.

Sony isn't the one playing with languages. Come the fuck on. This is not hard to grasp.

If the game is owned by the first party, then it's a first party game. If it isn't, then it's a third party game. If the studio is owned by the first party, then it's a first party studio, if it isn't then it's a third party studio. Nice and simple.

You think using second party makes things simpler, but it doesn't. You're just making it more convoluted by adding additional variables.

To you, Deviation Games is a second party, but what happens if their next game is multiplat? Are they a third party studio now? Do they go back to being second party everytime they work with Sony on an exclusive? Going by your logic, the PS3 version of Demon's Souls is a second party game, while the remake is a first party game. It's Sony's IP regardless so why do you need these distinctions?

How nonsencial do you have to make this?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony isn't the one playing with languages. Come the fuck on. This is not hard to grasp.

If the game is owned by the first party, then it's a first party game. If it isn't, then it's a third party game. If the studio is owned by the first party, then it's a first party studio, if it isn't then it's a third party studio. Nice and simple.

You think using second party makes things simpler, but it doesn't. You're just making it more convoluted by adding additional variables.

To you, Deviation Games is a second party, but what happens if their next game is multiplat? Are they a third party studio now? Do they go back to being second party everytime they work with Sony on an exclusive? Going by your logic, the PS3 version of Demon's Souls is a third party, while the remake is first party.

How nonsensial do you have to make this?

We got on fine using the 2nd party term for my entire life. It caused 0 issues.

Now Sony PR has initiated its blue Manchurian Candidates and threads devolve into "What does word mean?"

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
We got on fine using the 2nd party term for my entire life. It caused 0 issues.

Now Sony PR has initiated its blue Manchurian Candidates and threads devolve into "What does word mean?"
Why Sony? This was Insomniac, while they were still independent.

And really... Nobody really cares if you call it first-, second-, tingle-bell- or sausage-party. Technically, first-party is correct.

The whole discussion around this started because someone called them THIRD-party, which they clearly are not.

I would say, let's return to discussing Horizon here and continue this kind of discussion either privately or in a dedicated thread.

How does the foliage still not react to Aloy's body movements 😂

It really kills the immersion when something so basic seemingly doesn't have any effect on NPC interaction. One would've thought with these new CPU's that such issues would be easily fixed. Fucking crazy.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Do you not see the irony in the description you just used? I said these are third party developers making first party games, and you responded with "too many words"

So we both used the same amount of words in one scenario.

Now let's go to a different scenario.

Scenario A: "Quantic Dream is 2nd party".

"Oh that's why they're now making multiplatform games."

Scenario B: "Quantic Dream is 1st party."

"Wait, isn't Naughty Dog 1st party? So Naughty Dog can leave and make multiplatform games?"

"No, they're a different kind of 1st party. Allow me to explain..."

Less words. More specific. More practical.

So we both used the same amount of words in one scenario.

Now let's go to a different scenario.

Scenario A: "Quantic Dream is 2nd party".

"Oh that's why they're now making multiplatform games."

Scenario B: "Quantic Dream is 1st party."

"Wait, isn't Naughty Dog 1st party? So Naughty Dog can leave and make multiplatform games?"

"No, they're a different kind of 1st party. Allow me to explain..."

Less words. More specific. More practical.

I thought Quantic Dream is third party now?

See how stupid this is getting?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I thought Quantic Dream is third party now?

See how stupid this is getting?

They are. They were 2nd party for 20 years. They were never 1st party.

This conversation never happened before the tweet. Everyone accepted the 2nd party label. We're choosing stupid now for some reason

Last edited:
The snow looks the same as frozen wild, the sand is basically yellow snow even if sand doesn't act like snow at all, not all the vegetation react to external forces, destruction is still limited to trees, rocks and plants in the open world etc.
At least there is some level of interaction with the environment, contrarily to some other major open world game released recently. Add to this that the world itself is extremely detailed, the enemies look amazing, the animation is both complex and good, the forests are dense, there is wind, etc.

The game has very colorful visual, just for this it deserves kudos.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And if they go back to making exclusives after Star Wars do they go back to being a second party?

Yes.

We had zero trouble with this forever.

Married, dating, friends.

Not married and friends only.

2nd party denotes a special relationship that's neither 1st party or 3rd party.

Last edited:
Yes.

We had zero trouble with this forever.

Married, dating, friends.

Not married and friends only.

2nd party denotes a special relationship that's neither 1st party or 3rd party.

What a stupid and pointless way to define it lmao

What the hell is capcom, or square then? They're making multiplats and exclusives simultaniously

I'm convinced you're just coming up with this on the fly. You've probably confused yourself

Last edited:

Markio128

Crash And Burn What GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Pallas

Gold Member
Looks really good, love the enemy variety. I really need to get back to the first game and finish it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is this the thread for HZD gameplay discussions? If so, I’m disappointed.
It doesn't help that they havent done a great job marketing this game since that fantastic demo in June earlier this year. They have only released blogposts and some gifs, and this is basically a collection of sunhi gifs. There is very little to talk about.

I wouldve preferred a deeper dive into the new systems they have added. Do a Read Dead 2 style mockumentary taking us through the new towns, showing us new NPCs,new quest designs, etc. Or just do a story trailer that introduces new characters, maybe a villain or two. It's crazy that we are two months from launch and we dont know anything about the story.

So what exactly is there to talk about? Oh new robots, cool, I guess. Was anyone NOT expecting new robots? They have to give us something to talk about. Some fancy gifs of her dodge rolling around robots simply isnt enough.

It doesn't help that they havent done a great job marketing this game since that fantastic demo in June earlier this year. They have only released blogposts and some gifs, and this is basically a collection of sunhi gifs. There is very little to talk about.

I wouldve preferred a deeper dive into the new systems they have added. Do a Read Dead 2 style mockumentary taking us through the new towns, showing us new NPCs,new quest designs, etc. Or just do a story trailer that introduces new characters, maybe a villain or two. It's crazy that we are two months from launch and we dont know anything about the story.

So what exactly is there to talk about? Oh new robots, cool, I guess. Was anyone NOT expecting new robots? They have to give us something to talk about. Some fancy gifs of her dodge rolling around robots simply isnt enough.

Could always go back to talking about how fat she is I guess

T0minator

So, they plan to have this run on vanilla PS4? At 360p or something?
It'll be very interesting to see how it turns out.
I image cut backs on foliage, her character model and obviously frame rate and resolution. I can foresee one more PlayStation event in January to do a full on blow out before release. PlayStation Experience is looking unlikely unless something is announced this week. Sony is holding backs so much.

Woggleman

I hope the story is as good. When playing the first one I was utterly engrossed while unraveling the mystery of why there were all these machines walking around. Now that the cat is out of the bag I wonder how Guerilla will top that.

I honestly can't get people here complain about environmental interaction or anything related to graphics, AI (we have not seen any of it... but we know what the 1st game is like)... and then we have people doing any kind of praising for a 6 hours GAAS Halo Infinite campaign, honestly I don't know how low the bar is for MS to get any kind of credit for this kind of BS, people are making excuses on the other side.

Game is still two months away. What do you think they’re gonna talk about in January if they do another deep dive now during the holidays?

Then we get to hear people say, “omg sony is turning to this game into fucking deathloop with over marketing it. They want to spoil the entire game before it even releases waaah waaaaah”

So far this has pretty much mirrored the marketing cycle of Rift Apart. They did their big gameplay demo in september of last year, had the longer version of demo at gamescom or TGS i forget which. Then went completely dark until the end of April of this year. Then the same week Returnal came out they release their big trailer with Rivet, with more story and gameplay mechanics. Thats the trailer that had the Devo song in it.

Then they started giving us more gameplay and deep dives from May until Launch in early June

Also: the blogpost have been filled with information, such as new skill sets, weapons and gear, gameplay systems being introduced, locations, how they’re improving on all the weak areas of the last game, etc. they are giving you the information they just aren’t beating you over the head with trailers

Last edited:

GymWolf

At least there is some level of interaction with the environment, contrarily to some other major open world game released recently. Add to this that the world itself is extremely detailed, the enemies look amazing, the animation is both complex and good, the forests are dense, there is wind, etc.

The game has very colorful visual, just for this it deserves kudos.
I always said that horizon 1 had decent level of interaction and physics compared to many open world games, what hurt the game was the asinine comparison video with zelda botw, a game that lacks in everything except his physics system...

GymWolf

This game is turning into my Deathloop because everytime I see it my hype decreases. All these trailers just showcase the graphics, animation, art etc...

When are we gonna get the trailer that showcases "player choice" as Herman Hulst said?
I think he was talking about combat, forget stuff ala w3\fallout where you kinda shape the story (focus on kinda).

The biggest rpg part in the prequel was helping some people that helps you in the final battle, i think you are gonna have something similar in the sequel.

GymWolf

It really kills the immersion when something so basic seemingly doesn't have any effect on NPC interaction. One would've thought with these new CPU's that such issues would be easily fixed. Fucking crazy.
I hope they are gonna fix this shit.

There is no escuse when tlou2 or rdr2 both have this thing on a jaguar cpu.

LMJ

because it's not being built around those new CPUs, but instead a Jaguar...It's a PS4 game first and foremost,

The game looks incredible and ACTUALLY looks like a sequel should (improving what worked while adding tons extra and fixing what needed fixing)

But if you want a glimpse of what a PS5 version would have looked like watch the reveal "likely target" footage from the PS5 showcase

Horizon Zero Dawn Ps5 GIF by PlayStation

Again game still looks amazing, but clearly things were lost in the cross-gen decision

Horizon Zero Dawn Ps4 GIF by PlayStation

GymWolf

because it's not being built around those new CPUs, but instead a Jaguar...It's a PS4 game first and foremost,

The game looks incredible and ACTUALLY looks like a sequel should (improving what worked while adding tons extra and fixing what needed fixing)

But if you want a glimpse of what a PS5 version would have looked like watch the reveal "likely target" footage from the PS5 showcase

Horizon Zero Dawn Ps5 GIF by PlayStation

Again game still looks amazing, but clearly things were lost in the cross-gen decision

Horizon Zero Dawn Ps4 GIF by PlayStation
Rdr2, tlou2 qnd some other games have interactive grass etc., and they also run on a jaguar...

I want to hope that what we see is old footage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom