• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West game director says cross-gen development was "not limiting in any way", so many great ideas ended up being included

Horizon Forbidden West game director Mathijs de Jonge has explained that developing this new game for both PS4 and PS5 was "not limiting in any way."

As reported by GameSpot, de Jonge was speaking to HardwareZone when he was asked if there were any noticeable differences between the PS4 and PS5 versions of Horizon Forbidden West, and if developing for both platforms simultaneously was holding the team back at all.

"I don't think the cross-generation development was limiting in any way," de Jonge said. "When we started with the concept of this game, we had so many great ideas that ended up being included - to the point that we didn't really think about hardware limitations or anything, we just wanted to design a really nice, unique experience for the player. An awesome adventure. That's how we also brainstormed all the quests and events the player is going to go through."

"I think that the big delta between these two consoles, apart from the 3D audio, quick loading and DualSense of course, is on the graphical side of things. On the PlayStation 5, we can add so much more detail graphically. We can see the tiny hairs on Aloy’s face, for example. You can also see a ton of detail from far away."

de Jonge continued by pointing out the moss growing on the rocks in the Horizon Forbidden West State of Play gameplay demo. According to him, each individual strand of moss is rendered individually on the PS5, and is just one example of how the PS5 takes the experience to a new level.

The cinematic lighting rig also benefits from the PS5's processing power, as it is allowed to be used during gameplay and cinematics, as opposed to just in cinematics on PS4.

GHG

Gold Member
karl pilkington bullshit GIF

Either that or they aren't very imaginative.

Can't wait for their next game to be announced for them to roll out the "the PS5 allows us the freedom to... blah blah" line.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I honestly don't think people understand hardware, why would it be limited? You can play the witcher 3 with 1050 ti and with a 3090. Graphics and engines are scalable these days and the jump from ps4 to ps5 is not the "impossible jump" like ps2 to ps3 or n64 to gamecube.

In addition to what everyone has said: if they were developing for the PS5 only, they wouldn't have needed to put any time or resources into the PS4 development either, so of course the game can only be better if it's developed for one single piece of hardware.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I honestly don't think people understand hardware, why would it be limited? You can play the witcher 3 with 1050 ti and with a 3090. Graphics and engines are scalable these days and the jump from ps4 to ps5 is not the "impossible jump" like ps2 to ps3 or n64 to gamecube.
PS2 to PS3 jump was 35x.

The i/o and SSD difference between the PS4 and PS5 is a 100x.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I dont know what is the problem here. Red dead 2 runs on those devices. The game, which has open world that is very vast, is running on those console. The game is much better than Horizon zero and horizon forbidden west, and It did run on those consoles.

Its just devs who arent optimizing it very well for those devices. Cyberpunk2077 isnt a next gen game. its a game, which wasnt baked very well, and only optimized for new pc hardware. Red dead 2 has more features than that game, and its pretty much massive, and it runs very well. same for the Witcher 3. It wasnt the old hardware of those consoles, it was the lack of optimization, and the quick cash grab that made the game garbage on those consoles.

unless you are doing the portal jumb like ratchet, or the 2 screen medium, those system can run the game. Games are the same as old time, just more graphic look. Same setting crap. same buildings, same movement.

Hell, Miles Morales games run good on base ps4.

So, you believe that for example Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart would be possible on the PS4 then..?

Ezquimacore

Banned
PS2 to PS3 jump was 35x.

The i/o and SSD difference between the PS4 and PS5 is a 100x.
Lol no man, no. You can install and play days gone on a hdd/apu and also on a 3090. This tech is scalable and y'all being brainwashed by pretty words. The ps5 will use the magical ssd while the ps4 version will use the old hardware. Sony has people thinking the ssd is more important than the cpu/igpu and to me that's fucking crazy.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol no man, no. You can install and play days gone on a hdd/apu and also on a 3090. This tech is scalable and y'all being brainwashed by pretty words. The ps5 will use the magical ssd while the ps4 version will use the old hardware. Sony has people thinking the ssd is more important than the cpu/igpu and to me that's fucking crazy.
Then maybe you should read up on why I/O is so important. Never too late to learn.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

“"I think that the big delta between these two consoles, apart from the 3D audio, quick loading and DualSense of course, is on the graphical side of things.”
Bullshit Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Seriously though… Jaguar at 1.6 GHz -> 3.5 GHz Ryzen 2 is a massive jump, how can that not be described as a BIG delta?!?

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

karl pilkington bullshit GIF

Either that or they aren't very imaginative.

Can't wait for their next game to be announced for them to roll out the "the PS5 allows us the freedom to... blah blah" line.
What gameplay concepts are possible with the PS5 that aren't with a PS4, PS3, or PS2? Once 3D graphics had matured, there wasn't much limiting the gameplay other than imagination. You can restrict the graphics to overcome any technical hurdles involved. The only thing the SSD unlocks is warping as a game mechanic, which we see with R&C. Even that is possible if you cram everything in RAM, but the SSD does allow for more flexible use of the mechanic. I don't see how that would have fit into the world of Horizon though.

The point is that tic-tac-toe will play the same on a 2600, as it will on the highest-end PC rig you can imagine. There's no evidence that HFW would have any elements in it that required an SSD. The increase in visuals is already possible, and something we've seen in the gameplay demo, as well as for decades on the PC.

Top Bottom